Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting signing. Surprised to see you make it considering you're apparently hampered by budget and I doubt they'd be an automatic starter?

Interesting signing. Surprised to see you make it considering you're apparently hampered by budget and I doubt they'd be an automatic starter?
If ten Hag is able to get Dutch or Eredivisie players, he will do everything he can to get them.

We only have 1 first team striker in Hojlund. I'm not sure why people are surprised to see us getting someone else in?

We don’t really seem like we are hampered if reports are true that we’re in for Zirkzee, De Light, Brainthwaite & Ugarte. Hojlund is far from the finished product so likely Zirkzee will get a lot of minutes, we basically had one striker last season.

Or someone whose familiar with the dutch game, ie mason mount
It's a worry if we start the season bad and EtH is sacked but as long as he's here and we're doing well then it won't be a problem that the manager picks the players he want to sign.

We only have 1 first team striker in Hojlund. I'm not sure why people are surprised to see us getting someone else in?
Can play in multiple positions like Gakpo at Liverpool, and with Martial leaving we're down to one striker so we need to invest.

I'm still thinking of the old United where you'd always have 3 or 4 top class strikers. Oh the days.

Again why only 2 seasons to show pedigree, why not 5? Oh wait, it's because it doesn't support your point.

Also you should check the mins played if you think Zirkzee was starter for 2 seasons. You don't need top 5 leagues as all the other variables are not same either. Zirkzee was younger, much less experienced than others when he completed his last 2 seasons.

So if you take 5 seasons, all your pedigree players didn't show much pedigree, weird that.

No, because across five seasons, there is simply not the sample data for Zirkzee because he was not playing football for most of that time. He was injured, on the bench at Bayern, or playing in an inferior league.
It would hurt him even more to include that, and no he wasn't younger if you actually want to do a proper review and review him amounts all forwards in his age group (another reason why its a odd but not bad signing)

Last edited:
If you want to chat about which CB is better than which or whatever then take that to another thread. This is about Zirkzee.

No because across 5 season there is simply not the sample data for Zirkzee because he was not playing football for most of that, he was injured or on the bench at Bayern, or playing in an inferior league.
It would hurt him even more to include that, and no he wasn't younger if you actually want to do a proper review and review him amounts all forwards in his age group (another reason why its a odd but not bad signing)

But you had no problem including his season where he played only 800 mins, also no he is younger. He just turned 23, he finished the season as 22 year old. Compare the stats when others were 22 or till 22.

Why? He doesn't have to play every single game, and Zirkzee can play in multiple positions.

There are many types of players in football. For example it was clear from day 1 that RVN was going to be our first team striker which is why Cole handled his transfer request mere weeks after we signed him. Then there are backup players. Altay Bayındır is a classic case of the latter. Finally there are those who sit around the two ends ie not quite first teamers but neither backup players. A classic case of that would be the likes of Ole, Teddy or/and Saha.

Zirkzee is hailed to be a backup player who will transition to an Ole/Teddy type of player in the future. However how much of that is actually true in practice? I am a big fan of Hojlund, he's young, he's talented and his goal conversion is off the charts. Yet it was evident last season that he was being starved of goal opportunities. Many blame that to our 'greedy' forward line. Its a fact that most of our forwards would rather try and score the goal themselves then pass the ball even though the latter seem to be the better option. Having said that how many times Rasmus was in the right position/right time to score such goal? That's a matter of debate that goes out of the scope of this post. What we can safely say is that ETH himself seem to have acknowledge such weakness. In fact he started experimenting with Bruno as a false no 9, a tactic which proved to be instrumental during the FA cup final.

Bruno is of course a no 10. However, Zirkzee fits the false 9 role like a glove. He possess Bruno's work rate, and his awareness but adds to it great physicality, dribbling and a striker 'goalscoring instinct'. Capello hailed Zirkzee is a complete striker something his stats seem to back. In fact His goalscoring/assist ratio is around 2:1 which suggest a player that is comfortable in both scoring goals and in creating them. Considering the nature of our forward line and Zirkzee's characteristics then I won't be surprised if the Dutch striker is more suited to play in the current United side then Hojlund is.

But you had no problem including his season where he played only 800 mins, also no he is younger. He just turned 23, he finished the season as 22 year old. Compare the stats when others were 22 or till 22.

Pretty sure I did goals per minute... also Salah was also young then...

To all the people questioning this because he didnt get much game time... Frimpong didnt get a kick at all Vs England and barely a kick before that and would be regarded as one of the best RB/RWB players on the planet. The man hasnt got a clue

For people moaning about his lack of appearances for the netherlands, Hojlund got game time and looked pretty dreadful.. I wouldnt be surprised if Zirkzee quickly surpasses him.

It's impossible to take a manager's decisions seriously when they favour Depay and Weghorst over anyone else.

Splitting the payment over a few years so shouldnt be that much of an instant hit in the finances.

The only one of our front 3 that should be an automatic starter at this point is Garnacho. (And even he needs a rest). Zirkzee seems quite flexible as well so can slot in across the front where needed. And based on last season when one of the previous front 3 or 4 are injured it throws everything out of sync and McTominay ends up playing false 9 or something else traumatising. Might not be automatic starter but the flexibility and having alternative options will be great.

Please can someone flight track.

The planes to Manchester airport from Europe usually go over my house and I can see them from my garden. Saw Hojlund's last year.

And yes, I'm sad.

you get the Muppet Koolaid Airlines award patch (2024 transfer window edition)

iu

I'm still thinking of the old United where you'd always have 3 or 4 top class strikers. Oh the days.
Situation with Greenwood hasn't helped.

The following attacking players have all either left or will leave before the season starts:
Forson, Greenwood, Martial, Pellistri, Sancho

Leaving us with:
Left wing: Garnacho, Rashford
Striker: Hojlund
Right wing: Antony, Amad

Which is nowhere near enough, especially with our medical record. And Garnacho won't be here for pre-season. Really we need another attacker on top of Zirkzee but the finances mean midfield and defence is the priority.

Exciting signing. For sheer entertainment value alone he'd be worth it, but he's also gonna be huge in helping us control games and create chances.

I think it sets a clear precedent as well. We've signed the best young player in Italy and the talisman of the side that took everyone in Europe by surprise last season. It's the right sort of profile to be targeting - young, talented, and on the rise.

The fact that he has a load of people writing him off with lazy half-baked analysis only makes it sweeter.

Haven’t seen him play, hope it works out. How’s heading skills?

Haven't you seen that mop of hair on his head. No way he gets enough power onto his headers with that. Needs to improve that before he can improve his heading.

Exciting signing. For sheer entertainment value alone he'd be worth it, but he's also gonna be huge in helping us control games and create chances.

I think it sets a clear precedent as well. We've signed the best young player in Italy and the talisman of the side that took everyone in Europe by surprise last season. It's the right sort of profile to be targeting - young, talented, and on the rise.

The fact that he has a load of people writing him off with lazy half-baked analysis only makes it sweeter.

Hopefully him and Mainoo develop a good understanding, you see him and Foden last night, he loves players around him with good movement. We would dominate if we find that kind of player.

The following attacking players have all either left or will leave before the season starts:

Leaving us with:

Which is nowhere near enough, especially with our medical record. And Garnacho won't be here for pre-season. Really we need another attacker on top of Zirkzee but the finances mean midfield and defence is the priority.

No, not at all. Perhaps you'd try sign an older striker like you did with Wout. I know you had small interest in DCL according to the athletic and I think he'd complement Hojlund and Zirkzee in terms of different qualities but probably a bit pricy and like you say, you need to prioritise midfield and defence first.

Leaving us with:

The fees for Greenwood and Sancho will surely be used on an attacker, we were after Olise after all

For that level of money it's a no brainer. It does concern me that we have two strikers now and neither are great goalscorers though.

Our only proven goalscorer is Rashford and he's flaky.

Not expecting him to pull up trees but it's surely an upgrade on Martial and last season Rashford.

EDIT: And Antony too.

Status
Not open for further replies.