Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are already lumping in the (reported) agent fees. Once he's signed I'm sure they'll add in his wages over the length of his contract as well, just for good measure.

I don't know why. I can only assume they all want to apply for jobs at the MEN.
As usual, the press will add so much on top, he will cost us close o 80m according to them

Can't ignore the EUR 10M agent fees as part of the transaction.

You think agent fee are only part of this transaction? Check the agent fee paid by each club that FA reports. Also i never saw anyone saying Haaland cost 100 million.

Weird even ManUtd fans are like click bait papers

People are already lumping in the (reported) agent fees. Once he's signed I'm sure they'll add in his wages over the length of his contract as well, just for good measure.

Only ManUtd pay agent fee and wages.
Like you said, by the time the deal is closed, it will be 100 million.

Looks like this is happening. Decent fee to be fair. Seems to have talent. Can't help but think it's not nearly enough to have him and Rasmus up front though. I really wish we'd gone for someone proven like Toney or Watkins but the latter would be a fortune and the former has a lot of baggage, I guess.

Looks like this is happening. Decent fee to be fair. Seems to have talent. Can't help but think it's not nearly enough to have him and Rasmus up front though. I really wish we'd gone for someone proven like Toney or Watkins but the latter would be a fortune and the former has a lot of baggage, I guess.

They're both good players but neither of those guarantee as many goals as you think, especially not for the fees their clubs would expect.

It's a difficult market for strikers. Most clubs are still expecting a majority of their goals to come from their wide players.

Because the agent fees are clearly extraordinary in this instance. It also was with the Haaland transfer from Dortmund to City, which is why agent fees often get brought up there as well.

If you look at the fee as a proportion of the transfer, it's 25 % or higher, depending on which report is correct. If it's wages, then it's likely that the agent will get paid as much as the player is over a full 5 year contract. This is assuming that the club isn't paying a percentage of the wages to the agent as well, on top of the reported fee, which I don't know.

These are crazy numbers, well outside normalcy.

Because the agent fees are clearly extraordinary in this instance. It also was with the Haaland transfer from Dortmund to City, which is why agent fees often get brought up there as well.

If you look at the fee as a proportion of the transfer, it's 25 % or higher, depending on which report is correct. If it's wages, then it's likely that the agent will get paid as much as the player is over a full 5 year contract. This is assuming that the club isn't paying a percentage of the wages to the agent as well, on top of the reported fee, which I don't know.

These are crazy numbers, well outside normalcy.

They are higher than normal, at least it would appear to be, I don't have that much insight on other transfers. Although I imagine on a transfer of €40m most agents would expect at least €3m for themselves, sometimes more.

Zirkzee went to Bologna relatively cheap, I think like €8m, and the agent made sure to get that release clause in there as he was obviously banking on the fact Zirkzee would start to realise his potential. He's now pushing him to United (or maybe still Milan, who knows) where if he does well he could be there for a long time, which means no more transfer commissions.

I don't agree with it, but in the agents mind he's done his job very well and deserves a reward for it. I imagine Zirkzee feels the same.

23 years old. Sensible fee. Sensible wages.

Far too much negativity on here.

Welcome to the caf in 2024.

I'm all for some healthy scepticism, but sometimes you'd be forgiven for thinking this wasn't a Manchester United fan forum. The oppo posters are often the most sensible and measured, while most of the supposed United fans are just repeating the sort of trolling you can read on twitter.

Seems like an OK transfer. Obviously nothing special but we need backup/options in that position and there are hardly any world class strikers around and much less at a sensible fee.

Let's see how he does.

Welcome to the caf in 2024.

I'm all for some healthy scepticism, but sometimes you'd be forgiven for thinking this wasn't a Manchester United fan forum. The oppo posters are often the most sensible and measured, while most of the supposed United fans are just repeating the sort of trolling you can read on twitter.

Some on here would hate having Vinicius Junior playing for us if they were to judge him based on his first three seasons for Real Madrid. Almost as if most players need time to settle into a league to get experience and develop their skill set.

I understand fans are desperate for immediate success considering how far we've fallen, but hating your own players and being pessimistic about every transfer that hasn't lit up the football world is not the way. This rebuild is going to take some years, may as well just accept it and back new signings, especially if they're young.

Reactions: Solius
Some on here would hate having Vinicius Junior playing for us if they were to judge him based on his first three seasons for Real Madrid. Almost as if most players need time to settle into a league to get experience and develop their skill set.

I understand fans are desperate for immediate success considering how far we've fallen, but hating your own players and being pessimistic about every transfer that hasn't lit up the football world is not the way. This rebuild is going to take some years, may as well just accept it and back new signings, especially if they're young.
Great post. Will fall on deaf ears around here, sadly.

Hopefully he settles in well. We can only ask that he applies himself and works hard for the team and then hopefully the rest all falls into place. There's defo a lot of attributes there which we need.

I really like the look of him.

Even if he doesn’t succeed here, it's nice to see that we're finally targeting players who can dribble, shield the ball under pressure, play in tight spaces, produce press evading turns, etc. This is a good sign already.

They are higher than normal, at least it would appear to be, I don't have that much insight on other transfers. Although I imagine on a transfer of €40m most agents would expect at least €3m for themselves, sometimes more.

Zirkzee went to Bologna relatively cheap, I think like €8m, and the agent made sure to get that release clause in there as he was obviously banking on the fact Zirkzee would start to realise his potential. He's now pushing him to United (or maybe still Milan, who knows) where if he does well he could be there for a long time, which means no more transfer commissions.

I don't agree with it, but in the agents mind he's done his job very well and deserves a reward for it. I imagine Zirkzee feels the same.

It's a bit confusing to me, because as of October last year new regulations came into place and I'm trying to get the numbers to add up. However, it's possible it's because of the release clause deal, which was signed before the new rules. That's just speculation on my part, I don't know how that would work legally.

There are three ways for agents to make money from a transfer: working for the player, seller, and buyer. It's no longer allowed to work for all three at the same time, but a player plus one of the clubs is still fine for some reason.

From the player they can get up to 3 % of gross wages. Same from the buying club. From the selling club they can get up to 10 % of the transfer fee.

€40m fee is up to 4m from Bologna, that's easy. I don't know what wages he will be on, different reports talk about 6m, which seems sort of reasonable. Over 5 years that's 30m, so a potential 900k. However, as of this year the player has to pay their own agent, while before clubs typically paid agents on behalf of the players.

If this was a normal transfer, then the most lucrative from an agent's perspective would be to represent Bologna and Zirkzee. This would result in a 4m initial commission, which I'd assume would come from Bologna but perhaps it's possible to negotiate that the buying club pays it, and then a proportion of Zirkzee's wages that United would not be paying.

Instead, United are paying a 10-15m fee. That's newsworthy, I think. It can still be a good deal for the club, but outsized fees should be reported on.

I think this is what our future recruitment looks like, taking managed risks on players with room to develop and trusting that, if we give them the right environment to flourish, then we'll see the finished article in a year or two.

Not that black and white.

There are players where potential is there and I'm happy to wait for it. Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo are all examples of that. As were McTominay, Fletcher and many others.

But when there's a player who is already at the point where they should be at a certain level and they aren't (not referring to Zirkzee as I have no idea who it is) then I think fans are entitled to call it out. Mount is still relatively young, but he's not going to do a Salah and suddenly blossom, he's one where you can just write off

I'll be honest, I've never seen him play outside of that late sub appearance for the Netherlands in their last game.

But on paper it looks like an astute signing - reasonably priced, young, and not someone that has a distracting hype train surrounding him. On that basis alone I'm all for it, refreshing that we're now angling for those sorts of signings.

It's a difficult market for strikers. Most clubs are still expecting a majority of their goals to come from their wide players.
Good point and it's one of the reasons why I'm in favour of signing a player like Zirzkee who is more of a linkup striker for our wide players who are prone to shooting.

This sounds a really good signing. He will presumably come in as a starter, with his profile much more suited to the rest of the team than Højlund. We aren’t overpaying and he’s young. Haven’t seen enough of him to know if he will ultimately be good enough but looking forward to seeing him play, assuming we get the deal finalised.

Not that black and white.

There are players where potential is there and I'm happy to wait for it. Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo are all examples of that. As were McTominay, Fletcher and many others.

But when there's a player who is already at the point where they should be at a certain level and they aren't (not referring to Zirkzee as I have no idea who it is) then I think fans are entitled to call it out. Mount is still relatively young, but he's not going to do a Salah and suddenly blossom, he's one where you can just write off

I agree, but the problem is that fans call it out on every signing where they are not impressed by a highlight compilation even before having played a minute for us.

Mount is a decent player. He just isn't someone that has a particular skill that you get "wow'ed" by. He is just a consistent 6-7/10 player, but let's not forget he played a massive part in Chelsea winning the Champions League by scoring in the quarter-finals, scoring against Real Madrid in the semi-finals and then assisting the only goal in the final against City. He also had double digits in both goals and assists in a PL season. He is a decent squad player, and he is underrated like hell here. It is no secret that he had already lost a few United fans even before he signed for us, and it's going to take something special for them to change their mind. I don't understand why we bought him either, and I think the price was ridiculous, particularly because he only had a year left on his contract. Make no mistake, though, he wasn't chased by Klopp, Arteta and ten Hag for being a nobody.

23 years old. Sensible fee. Sensible wages.

Far too much negativity on here.

Agreed. A lot people expect us to be getting the Toneys or Osimhen when we have a small budget due to FFP. This is a good deal. Him and Hojlund roating also agree with a lot of the comments on him being able to link up and help the wide players score more goals

It does sound weird, but Wout is just our impact sub and if you watch the games where he comes in, he does just that, make an impact by kicking at people, screaming very loudly and generally looking menacing. Well that and scoring important goals and assisting. If Koeman ever drops Memphis (ha) he'll drop him for Zirkzee I think. Wout is not seen as starting material.

It is positive that he has a great attitude and tries to inspire teammates. But a striker must also score goals. And it worries me that he has not scored as many goals in the slightly bigger leagues, and it is therefore still remarkable that he is behind Wout Weghorst in the hierarchy in the Netherlands.

Try to see his scoring records in the last 5 seasons:
2023-24: 37 games - 12 goals for Bologna
2022-23: 21 games - 2 goals for Bologna
2021-22: 47 games - 18 goals for Anderlecht
2020-21: 4 games - 0 goals for Parma
2020-21: 5 games - 0 goals for Bayern München
2019-20: 12 games - 4 goals for Bayern München.

And for Netherlands:

2024: 1 game - 0 goals.

- He is 23 years old and has only played 1 game for the Netherlands.
- He is behind Wout Weghorst in the hierarchy for the Netherlands national team.
- He doesn't score many goals.
- He will be 24 years old next time (next year) and is therefore not quite a young player anymore. So we can expect a development, but not a huge development.

I can't understand why we can't find a better striker than him. I want striker, who is better than Højlund and he can learn from. Not someone who at best is at the same level as Højlund.

Last edited:
Agreed. A lot people expect us to be getting the Toneys or Osimhen when we have a small budget due to FFP. This is a good deal. Him and Hojlund roating also agree with a lot of the comments on him being able to link up and help the wide players score more goals
I would much rather we sign Zirkzee than Toney. I would also not want us to spend an obscene fee and wages on Osimhen.

It is positive that he has a great attitude and tries to inspire teammates. But a striker must also score goals. And it worries me that he has not scored as many goals in the slightly bigger leagues, and it is therefore still remarkable that he is behind Wout Weghorst in the hierarchy in the Netherlands.

And for Netherlands:

- He is behind Wout Weghorst in the hierarchy for the Netherlands national team.
- He will be 24 years old next time (next year) and is therefore not quite a young player anymore. So we can expect a development, but not a huge development.

I can't understand why we can't find a better striker than him. I want striker, who is better than Højlund and he can learn from. Not someone who at best is at the same level as Højlund.
Mo Salah at 23 was hardly setting the world alight in club football. Played and scored more at international level, but Egypt so much easier to get in the squad and first eleven for.

More hard working? Is Zirkzee lazy now? He's also strong. He's by no means slow. Very capable of a good press.

This post makes me laugh.
Yup, shows how people commenting without even watching the player. One thing he’s actually praised for his defensive work rate, yet because of his relaxed style people are calling him lazy.

And for Netherlands:

He isn't a striker who lives for goals and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That player for us is Højlund. Zirkzee brings us something different. We aren't spending £100m+ on a striker who is better than Højlund. That is completely unrealistic.

Yes, Zirkzee will be 24 in May. Therefore you do realise that he was 22 two months ago and throughout the entire duration of last season? He will continue to develop.

It doesn't matter what Koeman or any other international manager thinks.

I’ve been a bit negative about this because of the need for our current team. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong and shouldn’t be concerned with next year as much as this is more for the future. I can imagine our attacking positions will look very different in the 25/26 season and Zirkzee is the first step in rebuilding the attack.

And for Netherlands:

I’ve know. Zirkzee since his youth days. There’s nothing wrong with his finishing, he can finish and score. I would say with his style he doesn’t get in the same kind of scoring positions as an old fashioned 9 (nothing that can’t developed & coached) but he gets a lot assists for a no.9 on the other hand. And at youth level he was a prolific scorer. He’s very skillful and has a good physique. Very allround. He’s not unlike Marco van Basten dare I say. It remains to be seen if he’ll succeed at United, but potentially he is absolutely World class. I think he’ll be a fan favorite with his skill set, exciting player to watch.

Quality control
When you're done with this train of thought can you explain why Danny Murphy gives your Zidane vibes, because they're both bald.

I seriously hope we don't go to war with Russia and China one day.

So easily triggered over a hair comment. Damn..come here, let me tickle your tummy.

Ffs

Not many will know this but we were pretty heavily linked with him when he was about 17/18.

Might have even brought him in trial? Im sure one of the youth experts will know better
Wasn’t it Everton too? Know they’ve been linked loads with him over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.