Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I misunderstood something, or is Zirkzee 3rd choice in Holland's attack - after Wout Weghorst? Because that will be a little red alert for me.

Looks quite two footed in highlight videos? Looks like he has great feet, touch, and can beat a man with body movements.

A little different from Hojlund, looks an interesting player!

He reminds me alot of Alexandre Pato at AC Milan, similar dribbling, passing and shooting style.

I love Pato at Milan so I'm very hopeful on this signing as he's physically built for this league too.

I can see him becoming one of my favourite players along with Martinez and Mainoo.

mate....De Ligt's fee won't even cover Olise let alone finance Palhinha.

you may be fortunate enough to get Simons on loan which is a good piece of business after watching him in the euros which makes you wonder wtf is going on at PSG with talent evaluation

The PSG - Xavi Simons situation is very very odd. The fact that they sold him to PSV and then they bought him back for his low buy back clause only to not play him… With Mbappe going you’d have thought that he’d be a ready replacement but they’ve already announced he’ll go on loan again this season.

If I were to guess I’d say Xavi never wanted to return to PSG but agreed to under some weird premise (or big brown envelope full of $$$) that he’d never actually play for them and be sold in a couple years time for big money. I otherwise can’t make any sense of it, but like you stated, PSG’s management of young talents has been questionable for years.

If our budget is €50m for this back-up striker role, who would the realistic better alternatives be?

Guirassy for me was the one but outside of that I struggle. Toney would probably be more than €50m and I don’t think he’s even all that, Sesko signed a new deal….

The market for what we’re looking for is rather slim at the moment, so for €40m I don’t think the Serie A Young POTY is a bad bet. He’s got a very interesting profile and I don’t understand posters questioning whether he has the physicality for the prem? He’s pretty quick and is a 6f 4” unit with Martial-esque ball skills. He’s not a goal a game striker but his overall game should in theory compliment the likes of Rashford and Garnacho.

In a slightly different note, I find his development and career trajectory strangely similar to Todibo. He was a wonderkid, one of the best in his age group, made a big club move too early, had some bad tendencies but took a step back club-wise, has now knuckled down, turned a corner and is back on the up in his development. Arguably a bit like Odegaard too. Maybe there’s a strategy there by going for these rougher diamonds at a lower price and making them shine.

I have to admit, I am not a regular Bologna watcher so I have to believe that our recruitment department has seen what it needs to see to go after Zirkzee. My first time seeing anything of him came last night. Wasn't impressed. Nonetheless, you would say that about Hojlund based on this Euros. Hojlund scored 16 goals for us last season, despite having a bit of an injury break during the spring, so who knows?
I could say the same for almost every player this Euros

No idea if this one will work out or not, but if Van Nistelrooy sanctioned signing a striker who doesn't seem to be much of a goalscorer, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Rashford did seem to miss a false 9 type, and presumably Zirkzee would fit the 4-2-2-2 type thing we played against City, so this should increase our options and versatility at least, unless it's a Sancho style disaster.

What I like about both him and de Ligt is that their massive potential is still there. They both took moves that weren’t good for their careers, and while de Ligt still made it work in unstable environments and Zirkzee has shown what he can do at Bologna, you get the sense, from both players, that there is still more to come.

I am really excited about both these signings and hope we can get them over the line before anyone else comes in.
Yes both are young but it's a shame Man UTD is paying the maximum prices for (failed) players that other clubs could grab for more than half of the money. And not to forget, both are dutch. Ten Hag is digging his own grave by bringing in so many question marks just because they are dutch. This could go wrong 90/100

Sigh. Nothing else counts then. Key player for a team who qualified for CL for the first time in years, still young, two-footed with very good technique for a guy who's 6'4 , Seria A young player of the year. There's lots of things to like here.

But yea let's call him a mid table player even before he has kicked a ball for us because he lacks pace. Work, logic. Work.

Some of you lot are so quick to write off players it's astounding.
To be fair, we've had shocking players come to the club that everyone got excited about and then miserably failed.

However, I don't think that this is that player. I belive ETH has presented his vision to the new owners and how he wants to attack and get goals and i believe this is the striker to achieve that. He'll allow Garnacho and Rashford to be the main threats off the wings and be the link player while having enough of a presence in the box to be a threat and score a bag load himself.

No idea if this one will work out or not, but if Van Nistelrooy sanctioned signing a striker who doesn't seem to be much of a goalscorer, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Rashford did seem to miss a false 9 type, and presumably Zirkzee would fit the 4-2-2-2 type thing we played against City, so this should increase our options and versatility at least, unless it's a Sancho style disaster.
:lol:

Why would he do that when it's not even his responsibility? He's not the manager ffs. ETH/Ashworth/Vivell/whoever from the owner side is in the recruitment meeting would be guys that'll be sanctioning the deal.

Seems like this place won't give him much of a chance

Personally my frustration is more that he is most likely going to be signed instead of an experienced goalscorer. Now IF we had been getting both then would feel less dismissive towards him.

To be fair, we've had shocking players come to the club that everyone got excited about and then miserably failed.

However, I don't think that this is that player. I belive ETH has presented his vision to the new owners and how he wants to attack and get goals and i believe this is the striker to achieve that. He'll allow Garnacho and Rashford to be the main threats off the wings and be the link player while having enough of a presence in the box to be a threat and score a bag load himself.

Yea, it's not like we are splashing a huge load of cash to get this guy either. £34m is a very reasonable price for a guy who is relatively young and if he fulfills his potential we'd have a potential bargain. He will be coming in as a squad player rotating and competing with Hojlund and that would only benefit the team. Even if for some reason he doesn't work out here, we can sell him in a couple of years for the aforementioned reasons.

In my view, it's a relatively low risk signing for a player with potential for a big upside.

Why would he do that when it's not even his responsibility? He's not the manager ffs. ETH/Ashworth/Vivell/whoever from the owner side is in the recruitment meeting would be guys that'll be sanctioning the deal.

Man Utd make a new off the field signing, odd balls thinking “get in! a new person to blame randomly for shite”:smirk:

I’ll have you know that the one and only condition in RVN contract with Man Utd is the signing of Zirkzee and nothing else.

Source: trust me bro.

Seems like this place won't give him much of a chance
Aye very likely. Welcome to the online football space, where being proved right is more important than your team actually doing well.

Im totally uninspired by this, but I’ll fully get behind him, at least I sort of get the logic behind this one.

I can't imagine bringing in RVN and not asking him about Zirkzee. Doesn't mean he had veto obviously, but hard to imagine Ten Hag is on the phone to RVN and Zirkzee on the same day and bringing him in and not running it by him. Obviously it's not RVN's signing (unless we hear otherwise), but McCarthy is leaving and presumably RVN will work with the strikers.

Ten Hag wants Zirkzee, and wants (or is being forced) to bring in RVN. It's a Dutch striker. The current striker coach has left. I don't think this is "Jet Fuel Melts Steel Beams."

Yea, it's not like we are splashing a huge load of cash to get this guy either. £34m is a very reasonable price for a guy who is relatively young and if he fulfills his potential we'd have a potential bargain. He will be coming in as a squad player rotating and competing with Hojlund and that would only benefit the team. Even if for some reason he doesn't work out here, we can sell him in a couple of years for the aforementioned reasons.

In my view, it's a relatively low risk signing for a player with potential for a big upside.
Yep. For an attacker he's cheap especially, for like you said, someone who isn't near their prime yet.

I can't imagine bringing in RVN and not asking him about Zirkzee. Doesn't mean he had veto obviously, but hard to imagine Ten Hag is on the phone to RVN and Zirkzee on the same day and bringing him in and not running it by him. Obviously it's not RVN's signing (unless we hear otherwise), but McCarthy is leaving and presumably RVN will work with the strikers.

Ten Hag wants Zirkzee, and wants (or is being forced) to bring in RVN. It's a Dutch striker. The current striker coach has left. I don't think this is "Jet Fuel Melts Steel Beams."
The way you phrased your initial post assuming that RVN sanctioned the deal is obvious nonsense. RVN is coming in as the assistant coach. Hes going to coach whoever is going to be in the first team. He has nothing to do with the squad building aspect.

ETH and RVN might have talked about lots of things but ETH going "Hey Ruud, we are signing this striker from Bologna who has nothing to do with you, are you okay with sanctioning the deal?" is not one of them.

This is actually the sort of profile we need - young, high potential, tactically adds something, reasonable and hopefully ready to explode. Obviously the last one is the most important one as eventually quality is everything but this is the right overall transfer approach.

The way you phrased your initial post assuming that RVN sanctioned the deal is obvious nonsense. RVN is coming in as the assistant coach. Hes going to coach whoever is going to be in the first team. He has nothing to do with the squad building aspect.

ETH and RVN might have talked about lots of things but ETH going "Hey Ruud, we are signing this striker from Bologna who has nothing to do with you, are you okay with sanctioning the deal?" is not one of them.

Yeah I should have said "was down for" or whatever instead of "sanctioned" but if I was interviewing an assistant coach and he was a Dutch Striker legend and going to coach the strikers, might ask him about the young Dutch striker we were gonna sign, for a variety of reasons.

But maybe not. Ten Hag presumably has Bayern academy colleagues and he's Dutch, so maybe knows the player enough.

Yeah I should have said "was down for" or whatever instead of "sanctioned" but if I was interviewing an assistant coach and he was a Dutch Striker legend and going to coach the strikers, might ask him about the young Dutch striker we were gonna sign, for a variety of reasons.

But maybe not. Ten Hag presumably has Bayern academy colleagues and he's Dutch, so maybe knows the player enough.
Or our scouts watched him play for Bologna and think that he might be a good option for us as we need a striker since Martial has left.

I don't know how any connection can be made between RVN and Zirkzee other than the fact that they're Dutch.

Quite refreshing to see Dan Ashworth come in and sign a player in a week. Okay, most of the groundwork had been laid down but definitely a nice change to the dilly-dallying for weeks and weeks that we are used to.

Have I misunderstood something, or is Zirkzee 3rd choice in Holland's attack - after Wout Weghorst? Because that will be a little red alert for me.
Means nothing nowadays. Depay got like 5 goals last season and still leads their attack. Most managers have their favoured players. Maybe they just want the more experienced leading the line.

"He's not a striker" "He's too slow" "He doesn't look strong enough for the EPL" "He doesn't even start for Holland"

I've seen the above comments a 1000 times on this thread. All from folks who haven't seen him play and are just going off similar comments off folks who haven't seen him play. From someone who's watched him play severally, he is everything we need in a forward right now. He's at that stage that he's finally putting it all together, the skill the drive and the knack for scoring. He's a total no9, he knows where to be and where to receive the ball. His football IQ is top tier, knows when to release the ball, knows when to take the extra touch. He's also strong as an ox and will hold the ball up for days. The fact he's built like a freight train but still agile as a ballerina is a deadly combo. He's shooting technique isn't his best attribute but that's the most coachable aspect and RVN will help him immeasurably here. He and Hojlund can also play together which will unlock options for us in several games or late in games.

Not many will know this but we were pretty heavily linked with him when he was about 17/18.

Might have even brought him in trial? Im sure one of the youth experts will know better

"He's not a striker" "He's too slow" "He doesn't look strong enough for the EPL" "He doesn't even start for Holland"

I've seen the above comments a 1000 times on this thread. All from folks who haven't seen him play and are just going off similar comments off folks who haven't seen him play. From someone who's watched him play severally, he is everything we need in a forward right now. He's at that stage that he's finally putting it all together, the skill the drive and the knack for scoring. He's a total no9, he knows where to be and where to receive the ball. His football IQ is top tier, knows when to release the ball, knows when to take the extra touch. He's also strong as an ox and will hold the ball up for days. The fact he's built like a freight train but still agile as a ballerina is a deadly combo. He's shooting technique isn't his best attribute but that's the most coachable aspect and RVN will help him immeasurably here. He and Hojlund can also play together which will unlock options for us in several games or late in games.
I’ve only seen the above 10 min highlights reel and his five min cameo vs Turkey. I was surprised to see his skill set, though, seems you’re right in many commenting based on zilch, at least.

I like his style, and if we’re looking for is a reasonably priced complementary alternative to Højlund, I don’t to see who would be more exciting to get in.

I’d be wary of expecting him to shine in hos first season in the PL necessarily, he’s young and looks mentally more like an Amad than a Garnacho in that he doesn’t necessarily seem to eat up new challenges voraciously, and for a 23/24 year old to pull off those tight dribbles and feigned passes will probably take so
E adjusting to the tempo/physical struggle of the PL before it grooves, is just my hunch. I’d say it’s a patient investment ratjer than a quick fix, which can be frustrating for some because Højlund is not a quick fix either, and we did look in need of some fixing to begin with. But if this is indeed the Ratcliffe way, I prefer it to coming in and splashing hopefully om this and that.

He is..and his stats are underwhelming. But he is cheap which it seems is where we are now. If we have ambitions for the top it is hard to make a case that he will make the difference. Plus he is another Dutch/AJax connection which we appear to continue to be obsessed by.

He is..and his stats are underwhelming. But he is cheap which it seems is where we are now. If we have ambitions for the top it is hard to make a case that he will make the difference. Plus he is another Dutch/AJax connection which we appear to continue to be obsessed by.
I wouldn't consider EUR50M cheap considering his record.

It does sound weird, but Wout is just our impact sub and if you watch the games where he comes in, he does just that, make an impact by kicking at people, screaming very loudly and generally looking menacing. Well that and scoring important goals and assisting. If Koeman ever drops Memphis (ha) he'll drop him for Zirkzee I think. Wout is not seen as starting material.

No. But when placed against what we paid for Hojlund who had a similar poor goal involvement return before joining...a less expensive mistake.

It's so harsh to call Højlund a mistake at this point. You're meant to be fans and support him, not tear him down at every opportunity you get.

Isn't his release clause 40m euros?

People are already lumping in the (reported) agent fees. Once he's signed I'm sure they'll add in his wages over the length of his contract as well, just for good measure.

I don't know why. I can only assume they all want to apply for jobs at the MEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.