Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a meh signing, there's more interest in the importance of the other positions. Just hope it's based on merit and not the Dutch connection.

Hearing he's a 9.5/10 makes you wonder what it means for players like Mount.

Sarcastic replies from the dutch not a great sign

I actually clicked to see some of the replies after reading your post - and they’re there saying “stupid trick by Ten Hag getting so many Dutch people involved. No lessons learned.” Then someone else replied “He’s not making it to Christmas”.

Damn. Hopefully they’re wrong

Vini - Mbappe
Bellingham

Then

Rashford - Hojlund
Zirkzee

Wouldnt be too different. Hojlund wants to get behind the defence - so does Rashford. Hojlund is not a target man, 2 inverted forwards than wingers - LF & RF.

Tommorow our training is restarting again so we can see what's happening with Sancho and co because i think there's potential for some players we are trying to sell to be better in this system aswell.

Yes it would brother.

Got to say, this guy has Fellaini type vibes for me. The minute I saw him I thought no. Looks lanky, runs around a lot but ultimately didn't look like a game changer.

Players with these hair styles give me the collywobbles.
:lol: :lol: What? That's like comparing Messi with Mascherano because they're both short Argentinians.

He'll be a good squad player I guess but I still don't understand why we're not in for Toney tbh. It is what it is. Also, being 6'4 and not good in the air doesn't fill me up with hope on his physicality in dealing with prem defenders.
Doesn’t fit with what our tfr plan seems to be … younger (can renew contract or sell while still in mid 20s) and a mid price.

He probably does guarantee 15-20 league goals but Hojlund got 10 in 30? Toney would be well over £60m and 29 before season end (so no real sell on value) so can’t see us spending that much on that type of player.

From the little Ive seen of Zirkzee, looks like could play as a false 9 (not a true 9 where heading and physicality may be more important), which also gives us a different style to Hojlund so some options.

The athletic is saying we're pretty much there.

Interestingly the article is also suggesting we might see both Hojlund and Z partnering up instead of using one or the other. No idea what would that mean in terms our formation but maybe he plays more of inside forward role and replaces the boy wonder Marcus in games. Who knows. Still possitive about this transfer feels like good business.

I find this hard to believe considering how much grief he gave us over Tevez. We all know Joorabchian had his hand up Tevez’s ass making him say things 15 years ago.

This place is hilarious at times. People drawing conclusions based on 4 mins of playing time and hairstyle.

The amount of times you read a post on here that's basically 'this guy physically looks like this guy, so they must be the same!' is alarming.

I'm just glad none of them actually have anything to do with the club and the players they're trying to sign.

I find this hard to believe considering how much grief he gave us over Tevez. We all know Joorabchian had his hand up Tevez’s ass making him say things 15 years ago.

That was 15 years ago though. The only people left are probably the Glazers.

He appears to be the king of nutmegs from the video I saw, also looks like an absolute bruiser, very good at using his size. I like the look of him.

The amount of times you read a post on here that's basically 'this guy physically looks like this guy, so they must be the same!' is alarming.

I'm just glad none of them actually have anything to do with the club and the players they're trying to sign.
Yep, it's not hard to take a few minutes to watch a analysis video or two of the guy and get an idea of what skillset he will bring.

Sounds like he has 10 million reasons to make it right even if he doesn't.

I feel sorry for bologna. But it's their fault for agreeing to that in the first place.
They were able to buy him pretty cheaply (€8.5m) since they accepted the sell-on clause. Otherwise they wouldn’t have been in a position to sign him in the first place.

He’s been regarded probably the hottest prospect in Dutch football by the Dutch themselves for some years now due to his goal scoring record at youth level, also at Bayern’s youth team. Now you can argue whether you think he deserved that tag, but not that he was considered as such by the Dutch themselves because that’s a fact.
I’m not usually a fan of judging people by clips on you tube, but one thing that does stand out is his calmness when scoring. That I think is one of the most important attributes of a natural goal scorer.
Nah, that's definitely Xavi Simons.

Not fully sold on him. Seems promising on YouTube highlights but the pace of the games seem much slower than in the PL. I don’t think he’ll have the space to pull off the moves I’ve seen in his highlight videos. Hopefully I’m proven wrong.

Got to say, this guy has Fellaini type vibes for me. The minute I saw him I thought no. Looks lanky, runs around a lot but ultimately didn't look like a game changer.

Yeah, dudes who look like this are always shite. Like Ruud Gullit.

Having gone and watched a bit more of him, I quite like him, but he just isn't really a centre-forward.
He reminds me a lot of Sancho, actually:
  • Dribbles with tight close control, body feints and deception, a little flair too
  • Creative passer, at his best seeks the most attacking pass in any situation
  • Pretty good decision maker when it comes to executing counter-attacks or choosing a final pass
  • Doesn't have the raw pace to make his dribbling really lethal, especially against tougher/cannier defenders
A couple of points where he differs from Sancho:
  • Physically strong, so thrives on receiving the ball in advanced areas centrally, shielding and turning (as opposed to receiving in space on the wing like Sancho, and dribbling from there)
  • Not a reliable finisher
He's like a tailor-made false 9. And more of a transitional, counter-attacking player than someone who's going to break down two banks of four. Again, the same mistake we made when signing Sancho.

I like him individually the more I see of him, but I don't see that he makes much sense for us.
- We need tireless off-the-ball running strikers who will keep darting about to create options against sitting, packed defences; he'd just be another floating around in front of said defensive block wanting the ball to feet.
- Also, as others have said, we should buy someone similar enough to Hojlund that we don't have to change formation/strategy every time we swap one out for the other. They should compete for the same role in a fixed system.

I won't complain if we can get him for a decent fee, but not entirely sure what the thinking behind this one is.

I mean I just completely disagree that we need some box presence magician to break down packed defenses, considering we kept Ten Hag in the job and he clearly doesn’t give a feck about dominating possession around the oppo box. All signs point towards us still being a transitional/direct team and in that case Zirkzee is an excellent fit if you’re going to stick off ball runners around him.

When you're done with this train of thought can you explain why Danny Murphy gives your Zidane vibes, because they're both bald.

Zirkzee isn’t your player. You haven’t signed Simons yet either. Relax.
You’re paying us €20m for Zirkzee. And you‘re buying de Ligt off of us. You are financing Palhinha, Olise and Simons. It‘s all good. I am very relaxed over here.

Last edited:

Looks like it's happening once we pay the clause, everything on the player side seems agreed upon as is

Just been watching some clips of him. His technique is really good. A very unselfish player and he is actually pretty quick. Really good dribbling too. Think Højlund will benefit from playing with him.

Absolute nonsense. Zirkzee has been well known in NL for a while now due mostly for his goalscoring records in youth teams. It’s all the other things which have been more of a question mark, certainly not his goal scoring record which has never been in doubt.
I can sort of understand why United are after him, there aren’t many of his type & age available. I have concerns about his work rate & attitude, but he was outstanding at Bologna last season and does seem to have grown up a little. Most pundits in Holland want him starting for Holland at no.9 for example because they think he’s the best Dutch striker.
Martial FC is dead. Long live Zirkzee FC!! :smirk::lol:

Didn't realize he was named the Young Player of the season in Serie A and made the TOTS as well this past season

His analytics profile is super average, it's not down to that.

It's raw attributes that he has which makes people think he can put it together and have a high potential, but otherwise he has a reasonable release clause, is relatively young, and we have a hole in the squad where he fits. Competition for Hojlund and a different option to change games, while having the physical capabilities to learn how to be a more dominant CF.
Sure but I don't think clubs are just looking at fbref. I think there's probably some analytics we're not aware of. Otherwise what's the point of a data analysis department.

Regarding the Tevez deal, wasn't the issue that we took way to long to offer him the contract, and only when he verbally signed for City did we offer to actually buy him?

I seem to remember that Fergie didn't actually want him and signed Berba, and that pushed Tevez to City.

Not sure the agent did anything wrong there. So why the hate?

Edit: regarding Zirkzee I'm 60/40 for him, not blown away, but happy at the deal.
Just please not Toney, who without pens, his record is crap.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Didn't realize he was named the Young Player of the season in Serie A and made the TOTS as well this past season

He had a very good season by all accounts and was one of Bologna’s best players in what was a fantastic season for them.

Such a bad way of looking at things. Not saying he's at the same level but would you say Harry Kane is someone with loads of pace ?

So you’re saying Kane lacks pace but makes up for it with goals?

Yet Zirkzee has few goals and lacks pace.

Work, logic. Work.

I wish posters who failed to see him play would abstain from commenting on his arrival.

Brilliant reinforcement, flair player with great passing and finishing skills

Status
Not open for further replies.