Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote 2 rather detailed post about him some time ago.

Thanks, man. He seems prolific goalscorer also (mostly on youth level). And it seems like he's a mobile player. Such a shame we couldn't watch more in Euro.

I'd love to have Kuyt as one of our wing forward.

Never thought of this before - but his goalstats for Liverpool are strange:

He scored
12, 3, 12, 9, 13, 3 - it's a bit Rashfordy. good season, bad season, good season, bad season :)

But man was he fit - Bruno-esque. He missed 20 league matches in 6 seasons

Never thought of this before - but his goalstats for Liverpool are strange:

He scored
12, 3, 12, 9, 13, 3 - it's a bit Rashfordy. good season, bad season, good season, bad season :)

But man was he fit - Bruno-esque. He missed 20 league matches in 6 seasons

Overall season, his GxA:
20, 21, 26, 16, 23, 6
https://www.transfermarkt.us/dirk-k...&verein=31&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

It's pretty impressive stats, as a winger in 4-4-2 defensive setup. Combined that with his defensive work, and like you said, his fitness level.

Think he looks a good player but for the buyout clause hes going to need to get 15 league goals + be a huge influence on how we play our football and get another 7 or so assists on top

We dont need another 10 goal striker

Think he looks a good player but for the buyout clause hes going to need to get 15 league goals + be a huge influence on how we play our football and get another 7 or so assists on top

We dont need another 10 goal striker

Who is there for a similar price and age available for the same price, who would guarantee 15 league goals a season?

Who is there for a similar price and age available for the same price, who would guarantee 15 league goals a season?

Zirkzee doesn't guarantee 15 goals. When has he shown that? He's NOT a #9.

Again, good player. Great technique and intangibles. I'd be happy if Milan signed him (and still think they do), but I wouldn't be thrilled. We need a legitimate #9, someone who can bury goals and dominates in the area... This guy ain't that.

Especially at this point, where it seems (if reports are to be believed) that he's simplying allowing his agent to pimp him out to the highest bidder for AGENT COMMISSIONS... I don't want him all that much at my club, and I wouldn't want him at United either.

That's your big career move? Where your agent gets paid the most? Meh.

Looks alright could be a good deal but I hope he isn’t the only attacker we sign.
There are no goals in this team and we need some proper goal scorers.

Zirkzee doesn't guarantee 15 goals. When has he shown that? He's NOT a #9.

Again, good player. Great technique and intangibles. I'd be happy if Milan signed him (and still think they do), but I wouldn't be thrilled. We need a legitimate #9, someone who can bury goals and dominates in the area... This guy ain't that.

Especially at this point, where it seems (if reports are to be believed) that he's simplying allowing his agent to pimp him out to the highest bidder for AGENT COMMISSIONS... I don't want him all that much at my club, and I wouldn't want him at United either.

That's your big career move? Where your agent gets paid the most? Meh.

Don't disagree with all the agent stuff and questioning motivation, although having to choose between Milan and United is a pretty good dilemma to have, all things considered.

My question to the original poster was about who actually can give you that, for the price being touted for Zirkzee? United have Højlund, who's shown flashes and hopefully can improve, but he's the only senior striker we have at the moment, unless you count Rashford. We need someone else in there, and we can't pay another fee like we did for Højlund.

It sounds like Milan have a similar problem. There's not much out there at the moment, so clubs are going to have to take a punt on someone less proven at scoring goals, but then the issue there is the selling clubs know the market and add another €20m+ to their asking price.

I don't mind folks not wanting a particular player but when you come out with "he's not good enough" "we need someone better" you need to also come up with suggestions. Who are these better players available for £35m in today's market?

It's our scouts job to find these players right? Well they've scouted Zirkzee extensively and chosen him as the target. You guys make it seem because he's dutch it's Eriks target but have no basis to that. I will back this signing as I've watched Zirkzee a lot and he's coming into himself finally. He always had the talent, he has the size and speed, he just needed to put it all together with a solid mentality and he's doing that now. Motta really gave him the confidence to take that step forward and I know Erik will push him even further.

His ability with the ball will take the pressure off our midfield as when he gets the ball it sticks which means Rashy and Garnacho can run off him and can be played through. He'll drag prem defenders out of their comfort zone and open up gaps for Bruno and the rest too. I'm excited and he and Hojlund can play together when needed, two 6ft tall speedy attackers in the last 15 mins will cause havoc.

Reactions: Cheimoon
FABRIZIO ROMANO - United have all the information required on Zirkee (clause, commissions etc), and will discuss internally in the coming days on whether or not to proceeed on Zirkzee, who is also being followed strongly by Milan.

This was today on the podcast.

He is a good player. Like I have said, a facilitator rather than a goal scorer. Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho etc will need to wear their best goal scoring boots if we are going to get our goal total up and make this guy look good.

Zirkzee is a decent goalscorer. He showed that when he was given regular first football in Belgium and at Bologna last season. However he is not a goal poacher. He likes drop deep, drag defenders with him in the process and create spaces/assists for others to score. Considering our wingers hate to pass the ball and just love to score goals than that's what we need.

Yeah, we definitely needed another one who doesn't score many goals, exactly.

The 'Love scoring goals' scored 7 each last season.

Zirkzee is a decent goalscorer. He showed that when he was given regular first football in Belgium and at Bologna last season. However he is not a goal poacher. He likes drop deep, drag defenders with him in the process and create spaces/assists for others to score. Considering our wingers hate to pass the ball and just love to score goals than that's what we need.
Sounds a lot like Martial which is actually exactly what we need. We always looked a much more cohesive football team with Martial dropping deep and linking up with everyone. Given Bruno isn’t the best with the ball at feet and our wingers as you say don’t like passing, we often do need that from our striker.

Our wingers not liking passing is such a weird problem and one that I don’t understand why it’s so hard to fix.

Or how about we just get a winger that creates and a striker that scores. I don’t understand the need to complicate things.

Like @Ekeke said we don’t need another 10 goals a season striker, especially when our wide players aren’t likely to bridge that gap. It will be another season of scraping 60 league goals.

Would be nice for us to make a signing like this and he turns out to be a superstar in the premier league. Hit 20 goals and 10 assists in his first season kind of thing
Last season, Hojlund and Bruno were tied as top goal scorers with 10 premiership goals each, with McT, Garnacho, and Rashy following with 7 goals each. So if Zirkzee scores even half of what you said he will still be greatly impactful

An underwhelming and strange transfer, in my opinion. I don't see how he fits and doesn't end up overlapping with Bruno Fernandes a lot, as well as being patently unremarkable in any way. I guess he has some potential to grow, but I'm not seeing anything special. Maybe his creativity in the middle will suddenly turn Garnacho, Hojlund, Rashford, and Amad into goal machines... but frankly, I severely doubt that. I struggle to see how the coach would accommodate all of those players, plus presumably Mount, who still exists by the way in case people have forgotten. I guess that provides some variety, but I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Mbappe is a wee bit better now than Ronaldo was then.
Maybe but you’re missing the point. It’s not good to have 1 star player that you focus on. It ruins the team chemistry and you play bad.

Last season, Hojlund and Bruno were tied as top goal scorers with 10 premiership goals each, with McT, Garnacho, and Rashy following with 7 goals each. So if Zirkzee scores even half of what you said he will still be greatly impactful

He looks genuinely two-footed and has really quick feet. Good eye for a pass and can finish well. I short he looks to have the tools to succeed, but obviously, like all transfers to United, they have to be able to handle the size and expectation of the club.

Hojlund would play less games if Zirkzee is playing, so no 10 goals and 5 assists wouldnt be that significant because then Hojlund is down to 5 or something

We'd still be the low scoring team we are

We have to add another attacking player besides him

Would be nice for us to make a signing like this and he turns out to be a superstar in the premier league. Hit 20 goals and 10 assists in his first season kind of thing
:lol: Never happening. things like that don't happen to us anymore.

He'll end up benched, permanently injured, and a dribbling mess within 6 months.

Yeah, we definitely needed another one who doesn't score many goals, exactly.

The 'Love scoring goals' scored 7 each last season.
It's not much better, but they actually scored 8 and 10 last season - because our season is more than just the league and also includes domestic and European Cup competitions.

I never get why so many people's 'season' stats only ever include one competition - the league - and ignore all the cup competitions as if they don't exist and aren't part of our season.

Last edited:
It's not much better, but they actually scored 8 and 10 last season - because our season is more than just the league and also includes domestic and European Cup competitions.

I never get why so many people's 'season' stats only ever include one competition - the league - and ignore all the cup competitions as if they don't exist.

Because league is our bread & butter and that's what matters. It is a long competition against a variety of competition and is the best indicator of a player's goal scoring prowess.

I have no problem with the player. Unlike many on here I have seen the player play because I was really interested in seeing Motta's style of play after there were inklings that we would be interested. He is a good player, a facilitator, but he is not a great goal scorer and probably never will be.

This new idea that "I'll be happy if he is like Martial" that has taken seed is wrong too. He is not like Martial. Also, Martial scored 17 goals in his best season as a striker for us. He had a good eye for goal and could be very tricky. That season we also had Greenwood & an inform Rashy on the sides. Still the season's goal total was nowhere near what some of the best teams score.

Another idea that he'll be good without scoring goals as he drops deep and helps in the build up is seriously flawed too. For that to happen we would need serious goal scoring wide players like Ronaldo, Mbappe or Salah. Rashford and Nacho won't cut it unless we want to be a low scoring team.

Also, good strikers that drop deep score goals too. It's not an either/or. Zlatan, RVP, Kane etc all dropped deep, helped in the build-up and scored plenty of goals too.

Our team lacks a serious goal threat. Zirkzee is a good player but he is no answer to our goal scoring woes.

Looks a good skilful striker, young and improving, considering that there are next to none genuine centre forwards anymore I think he will improve the team. He has that bit of arrogance in his play as well.

Sounds a lot like Martial which is actually exactly what we need. We always looked a much more cohesive football team with Martial dropping deep and linking up with everyone. Given Bruno isn’t the best with the ball at feet and our wingers as you say don’t like passing, we often do need that from our striker.

Our wingers not liking passing is such a weird problem and one that I don’t understand why it’s so hard to fix.

Both prime martial and zirkzee like dropping deep (zirkzee more) and are good dribblers. But they are different type of players. Martial was faster and a better finisher. Zirkzee is more hardworking, a powerhouse and just love creating assists. He will score goals but he'll rather create assists.

I don't blame you on this as Italian critics had been scratching their heads when trying to compare him. The guy is a freak in a good sense. He's 6ft4, he's an excellent dribbler + his workrate and scanning of the game is top notch. Some compared him to a young ibra, others to a more physical totti while others to a more physical Mancini (I agree more on the latter). Capello calls him the complete striker and his second favourite serie a striker after Martinez. However as ibra said, zirkzee is zirkzee.

If this ends up being the only attacking addition this summer we're in a world of trouble.
Meh, would rather watch a front 3 combination of Amad, Zirkzee, Hojlund, Pellistri, Garnacho than Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Anthony

Think we’ll still look to get a wide forward, but a centre forward to compete with Hojlund is a priority. We also need a couple of holding / passing midfielders to replace the departing Casemiro and provide depth.

This feels like a proper rebuild job from this point onwards. I can’t see us signing any more unlikable cnuts

If this ends up being the only attacking addition this summer we're in a world of trouble.

And this is why I don't get the transfer for United.
And this is why I don't get the trasnfer for Milan either, as we only have Jovic right now and need a starting quality 9...

Camarda is 2-3yrs from being able to play seniors as a 9, and that's being generous too.

Doubt that as we are shifting Greenwood and Sancho so there has to be another attacker coming in.

And this is why I don't get the transfer for United.
And this is why I don't get the trasnfer for Milan either, as we only have Jovic right now and need a starting quality 9...

Camarda is 2-3yrs from being able to play seniors as a 9, and that's being generous too.

Why? He is clearly not the Sancho/Greenwood replacement

Why? He is clearly not the Sancho/Greenwood replacement

Do you want your starting strikers to be Hojlund and Zirkzee? Or is the plan to change him again from the position he's been playing at Bologna?

Do you want your starting strikers to be Hojlund and Zirkzee? Or is the plan to change him again from the position he's been playing at Bologna?

You responded to a post about him being the only attacking signing, so again it really depends who else we can get in the attack when the striker market is so weak

You responded to a post about him being the only attacking signing, so again it really depends who else we can get in the attack when the striker market is so weak

I'd expect a club of United financial ability to sign Osimhen, not Zirkzee.
In a different universe, I'd expect Milan to do the same, but 130m signings aren't even remotely possible for us.

It seems United are doing what they said they would do, targeting players who either have buy out clauses or one year left on there contracts. Going for players who fill the gaps in the squad and giving us more quality in depth, which was our biggest problem last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.