Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Brentford had dropped their valuation to the £50-£60 million mark.

I’m not too fussed about signing Toney but we need someone that’s going to score goals.
He wants about 250k a week so its an expensive signing

His goal record doesn't really fills me with confidence.

I have seen somewhere describe him as a defensive forward. So basically works hard off the ball and makes a good amount of tackles for a forward. His strengths are dribbling from deep and creating chances whilst also being two footed.

His goal record doesn't really fills me with confidence.
Similar to Hojlund so it shouldn't.

That being said he looks much better in impacting general play which is positive. He drops deep and gets involved, a better dribbler and gets the ball out of his legs quicker. I think he suits Rashford and Garnacho more, because he appears to enjoy link ups and providing service for inside forwards as much as he does being on the end of a final pass.

This is modern football, a striker doesn't necessarily need to be prolific in front of goal providing he's bringing other things to the table. I'd take a Firmino type of forward right now.

Would be nice for us to make a signing like this and he turns out to be a superstar in the premier league. Hit 20 goals and 10 assists in his first season kind of thing

Fairly underwhelmed by this. He isn’t bad, but he isn’t great.

This “Firminho type forward” discourse is certainly annoying - feels like people making excuses for him already and convincing themselves. A Firminho type player relies on everyone else to step up, after all these years is he really going to be the one to unlock our attack? I doubt it.

Will certainly back him if we sign him, but haven’t got the highest hopes.

This “Firminho type forward” discourse is certainly annoying - feels like people making excuses for him already and convincing themselves. A Firminho type player relies on everyone else to step up, after all these years is he really going to be the one to unlock our attack? I doubt it.

I’m hoping this is a stop gap signing to get us back to the champions league, when we can sign a proper elite striker, and Zirkzee and Hjolund can play back up and/or develop into great strikers themselves.

I’m hoping this is a stop gap signing to get us back to the champions league, when we can sign a proper elite striker, and Zirkzee and Hjolund can play back up and/or develop into great strikers themselves.

We’ve had about 6 stop-gap forwards in recent years, it’s frustrating.

Seems like it's happening after tweets about agreement with his agent and reports that Ten Hag personally called him up to sell him on the project. Just have to pull the trigger on the release clause and we'll have him.

Will go and dig a bit to make up my mind about him. The internet is pretty divided: the data people say he doesn't generate enough threat from his passing to be a Firmino type forward.

The eye test people say he's a great link up forward and his defensive workrate is very solid.

I have seen somewhere describe him as a defensive forward. So basically works hard off the ball and makes a good amount of tackles for a forward. His strengths are dribbling from deep and creating chances whilst also being two footed.
Huh, this isnt true at all. He's a footballing forward who drops back a bit and has great linkup play and technique.

He's not Dirk Kuyt :lol:

Seems like it's happening after tweets about agreement with his agent and reports that Ten Hag personally called him up to sell him on the project. Just have to pull the trigger on the release clause and we'll have him.

Will go and dig a bit to make up my mind about him. The internet is pretty divided: the data people say he doesn't generate enough threat from his passing to be a Firmino type forward.

The eye test people say he's a great link up forward and his defensive workrate is very solid.

Yeah I posted this a few weeks ago. Agree. My guess is the intention would be to sign him to be a squad player CF, good age and decent price, and we need that in our squad. He's a big guy and can develop more, never know how they step up, but it'll just be a signing to compete with Hojlund and see if one of them nails down the spot or who makes us play better.

I understand your doubts but I have always thought that our front line benefits for from a playmaking/link up forward than it does from a pure goal getter. Rashford is a goalscoring winger and he is also not the smartest or the most adaptable player there is but he is very good at what he does, under the right circumstances and those usually included when he played alongside Martial, Shaw and Bruno. If this guy can do what Martial did for him then we will see his best again. Garnacho is developing like Rashford albeit without that explosive pace.

I think a forward who excels in bringing others into play will do more for us. Depending on how good he is on that aspect he could be transformational for our side and he part of the solution to our goal scoring issues even if he doesn't score them by the bucket load himself.

This is modern football, a striker doesn't necessarily need to be prolific in front of goal providing he's bringing other things to the table. I'd take a Firmino type of forward right now.
Yeah but Firmino had Salah and Mane playing outside him who were a) brilliant and b) scored plenty.

If our forward scores 10 goals a season it will probably look a lot like last season. Who the feck is gonna score? Rashford would have to massively get a grip which doesn't inspire confidence. He might do or he might be crap.

Yeah but Firmino had Salah and Mane playing outside him who were a) brilliant and b) scored plenty.

If our forward scores 10 goals a season it will probably look a lot like last season. Who the feck is gonna score? Rashford would have to massively get a grip which doesn't inspire confidence. He might do or he might be crap.
That could be the idea behind it, unlocking Rashford. It's probably wishful thinking though.

Seems like a case where we are buying a player with big potential, but who at this time is probably a few years from reaching his potential. At the same time, good enough to be a starter for quite a good Serie A-team and a type of player we need.

It makes sense, but he will be labeled flop in here in twelve months.

Seems like a case where we are buying a player with big potential, but who at this time is probably a few years from reaching his potential. At the same time, good enough to be a starter for quite a good Serie A-team and a type of player we need.

It makes sense, but he will be labeled flop in here in twelve months.

That’s generous.

A lot of the realistic options for a striker are a bit underwhelming. At least he would offer us something a bit different and hopefully either him or Rasmus can really improve over next couple of years.

We have to build a team over next 2-3 years, we are going to have to sign a lot of players so we are going to have to find some value somewhere and will have to keep fingers crossed this can be the me of those deals.

The idea with a forward who drops deep is to have an overflow of players in the middle. It will help us win the midfield battle as Mainoo and Bruno are not renowned for their ball winning ability and they will be standard midfield pairing, and we should play better pressing with him in the team.

Eventually, this will also mean more control in the games, and less of that gapping hole we had for a whole season.

Huh, this isnt true at all. He's a footballing forward who drops back a bit and has great linkup play and technique.

He's not Dirk Kuyt :lol:

I'd love to have Kuyt as one of our wing forward.

Going against the grain, but I'm quite excited about this signing. Good age, good price and most likely reasonable wages. He may not start every week, but he offers something very different. Nice link up play and is capable of scoring goals. I can't think of a realistic striker target who I would prefer to have over him this window.

Going against the grain, but I'm quite excited about this signing. Good age, good price and most likely reasonable wages. He may not start every week, but he offers something very different. Nice link up play and is capable of scoring goals. I can't think of a realistic striker target who I would prefer to have over him this window.

I am as well. Alot of the criticism about his goalscoring record is unwarranted as well.

From some YouTube videos, he runs like Chong! His first touch looks much better than Hojlund.

WTF is wrong with people :lol:
It feels like he always score against us :lol:.

But really. I remember he had a very good world cup, playing as LW. He'd probably score more for Liverpool, if playing with a more expansive football than Benitez's

I am as well. Alot of the criticism about his goalscoring record is unwarranted as well.

From those clips, he looks more impressive than Hojlund at Atalanta.

Really like his skill and link up play. But how's his workrate?

I think for such a good young coach to have him as a key player last season is promising, as is his size and comfort with the ball. Bayern also saw something in him early on, but just didn’t give him the chance with the options they had at the time. The also retained 40% of his sell-on so I feel they knew that he could blossom.

A young, exciting forward coming off the back of a great season is almost impossible at that price in 2024, so I am excited.

Expect to see some movement this week in a few transfers since we’re now in July. Could do with them all in for the start of pre season. Obviously depends on the ones who are away on international duty still.

From those clips, he looks more impressive than Hojlund at Atalanta.

Really like his skill and link up play. But how's his workrate?

I wrote 2 rather detailed post about him some time ago. In a nut shell considering how our team is set up (everyone wants to score himself) then I won't be surprised if Zirkzee becomes a first teamer in the end especially if we stick to the Rashy-Bruno-Garnacho system.

Zirkzee is a weird one and I mean it in a good way. On one hand he's a 6ft4 giant. You'll expect someone like that to stay at the edge of the defense line to bully defenders up and score that goal. That's not how Zirkzee operate. He's gifted with great technique and altruism which allows him to drop deep and help things around. Hojlund does that in his own right but he's nowhere near to Zirkzee who sits more inside Bruno's territory

Zirkzee

IMG-20231224-WA0011-300x193.jpg

Bruno

Fernandes8.png

What does that mean? Four things

A- Zirkzee will work like a mad man for the team. That's great into a team were the work rate is one of its weaknesses
B- He'll be dragging defenders back with him thus creating space for the likes of Rashford Garnacho and Bruno, all of whom love to score goals
C- He's got enough eye for goal to play as a lone striker but he is comfortable playing in a deeper role behind the striker.
D- In corners we'll be throwing a 6ft4 player in the mix which is important in a team were the defense is on the short side.

Politically wise Zirkzee is good and experienced enough to lead our line but is not a big name to expect to play on a week in week out basis. That suits us well as Hojlund should have been in that same position as well

Zirkzee's youth record is impeccable. During the 17/18 season he scored 16 goals in 21 games at U17 Bundesliga youth level. The year after he scored 22 goals in 39 matches again at youth level. The year after he was slowly introduced to first team. His opportunities were very limited. In the Bundesliga he featured just 3 times in the starting 11 and played a total of 9 times. Yet he was still able to score 4 goals and create an assist. Season 20/21 was quite horrible in terms of goals and opportunities. He played a total of 4 games between league and CL, starting just 1 game and scoring nothing. He was then loaned to Parma and in an injury stricken season there he played 4 games coming off the bench in all of them and scoring in none of them.

The season after he moved to Anderlecht and the goals kept piling in. He scored 18 goals and created 13 assists in 48 games in his first season. Bologna signed him on a permanent transfer and they barely used him. In the Serie A played 19 games in which he started just 5 of them and he scored 2 goals. The Italians have a different line of thought to the British. Unless we're talking of crystalline talent such as Maldini then they love to give kids a year or two on the bench/on loan to keep the hype in check. Anyway this season was his breakthrough, 12 goals and 7 assists in 37 matches

Some will point out that he only had one great season at top level. However this is the first season were he played regularly at top level as well. Is he a world class finisher like Haaland is? I doubt it. However when one analyze his stats you notice that his goals and assists ratio is very close to one another. That suggest a striker that is hardworking, will drop deep and will create chances for others. We're not talking of a goal poacher here.

33m is peanuts for today's standards. The gambler would probably cost us 50m if not more. Regarding the rest I suggest you read the remainder of the post. This guy can score goals and he can create assists. I won't exclude a scenario were both Hojlund and Zirkzee can play together

Status
Not open for further replies.