Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The ultimate luxury player, will look great against weak opposition but when you need fight and desire like Fenerbache away he's just not going to give you much.

Really poor, looked totally lost out there tonight. What the hell are our scouts doing.

I'm all for giving time but I'm not sure why we signed a player whose profile doesn't fit what the team want to play like?

Calm down. Lots of players throughout football history have struggled in their first 3 months in a dysfunctional team and eventually came good.

By your logic we would've sold Vidic and Evra by March of 2006.
This got me thinking, other than those two did we ever sign anyone who was shit for a while at the start and actually came good? Nani maybe.

His intensity is shockingly low, playing the game at a different speed to everyone else. He has nice feet when he has the odd moments when he is at the pace of the game but most of the time it is happening way too fast for him.

Hopefully the idea that he can replace Bruno can be put to bed, simply doesn't have the energy at this stage. or the passing range.

A bunch of Netherlands fans I met on holiday all agreed he wasn't good enough for us when I asked them.

They all really liked MdL.
Zirkzee is built like me, and I’m a fat shite. He’s built like a Sunday league player. Playing like one too. How we think playing him up front on his own is the way to go when he lacks any aggression or fight. An absolute nothing player. So fits in well with plenty others

Calm down. Lots of players throughout football history have struggled in their first 3 months in a dysfunctional team and eventually came good.

By your logic we would've sold Vidic and Evra by March of 2006.
Nah, I'm happy to set my stall on him being shite and there's nothing I've seen to convince me otherwise. Just because a player from 20 odd years ago turned out alright doesn't mean everyone will come good. In that case, I can name a lot more in those last 20 years that went the other way.

He's not good enough for any Premier League team unless you're interested in fighting off relegation. And even that's being kind, I really don't think Southampton would start him.

Too many poor decisions and inaccurate balls. 66.7% pass accuracy is too low to work with

Worrying as this is the 4th best side in Turkey this season

I genuinely laughed out loud when he tired that outside of the foot pass too Rashford that he just smashed the goalkeeper.

It's exactly the sorta thing that really shit lad who really rates himself does at 6-a-side

So the search for a good striker to follow in Van Persie's footsteps in our national team continues.

Zurkzee definitely aint it.

This got me thinking, other than those two did we ever sign anyone who was shit for a while at the start and actually came good? Nani maybe.
This is slightly cheating because everyone we buy turns out shit regardless of how they start.

In the last decade we've made almost literally one good signing.

Really not doing it for me. He’s a big lad and he does have skill but he looks way off the pace. Poor movement, takes far too long on the ball and is weak on the ball despite his impressive frame. As a young player, he will be given the chance to improve and show that he is good enough, but it isn’t a good start to his career here.

This guy will have to do a lot of work to prove he's remotely good enough to be a Man Utd player.

At times he looks absolutely awful technically.

Weghorst scored for Ajax tonight btw

Weghorst was more effective because he had much more energy and aggression. Zirkzee is much more talented but if he doesn't get to the pace of the game he will be moved on quickly.

Think he is struggling with the move to us. Capello said he is still playing like he's in the Italian league and has loads of time. His reactions and intensity are very poor. He was reported as being one of the best pressing attackers yet seems so cumbersome and lethargic. His strength is hold up/link up play yet nothing really sticks to him and he just doesn't seem to have any confidence. I fear he is starting to sink, I'll give him time but he really isn't showing anything apart from the odd decent touch here and there.

I'd love to know what our scouts saw. His first few games he had a decent touch here and there, but since then there's been nothing.

I don't want to write the lad off, but it's really difficult to see what he's for. The things that are supposed to be his strengths, link up play and passing especially, he's just been woeful at ever since that Liverpool game.

I think I'd genuinely feel more confident in Onana picking up the ball in the hole and finding the right pass just now. Here's hoping it's just a case of acclimatising to new tactics and teammates etc and he gets past this tough period, but he's not showing us many signs.

You mean the striker who has only ever scored over 15 goals a season once in all comps - in the Belgian league - isn't very effective? I'm shocked.

Thought it was a joke when we were linked with him, think it's an event bigger one watching him try and play here.

He's really struggling, there was a moment soon after that horrendously overhit pass to Rashford that he had a chance to set Garnacho through but he hesitated, it looked like he just didn't believe in his ability to play the ball, and waited to play a lot safer pass. I don't think he's as bad as we're currently seeing but he needs time out of the team.

We just don't have the luxury of signing players that need time to bed in and we don't have the spending power to buy ready-made players that will immediately improve us.

This leaves us stuck taking punts on players that might be good like Zirkzee. When he doesn't hit the ground running, he loses all support and his confidence takes a hit and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Who knows how he'd have done if he could spend the first couple months of the season coming on for bits and pieces of games to get up to speed. It's not like there's any discernable style for him to adapt to, because ten Hag hasn't got one.

This sort of goes for a lot of our new signings, but Zirkzee is not done any favors by the state of the club and our attack especially.

Think he is struggling with the move to us. Capello said he is still playing like he's in the Italian league and has loads of time. His reactions and intensity are very poor. He was reported as being one of the best pressing attackers yet seems so cumbersome and lethargic. His strength is hold up/link up play yet nothing really sticks to him and he just doesn't seem to have any confidence. I fear he is starting to sink, I'll give him time but he really isn't showing anything apart from the odd decent touch here and there.
Tonight should have been a good opportunity to show his skills. It is after all a EL game, different pace and feel to the PL.
Hojlund struggled in the PL initially but in the CL he showed us he had something about him. Something to work it.
What is the hope for Zirkzee if he doesn't stand out in the EL ?

Nah, I'm happy to set my stall on him being shite and there's nothing I've seen to convince me otherwise. Just because a player from 20 odd years ago turned out alright doesn't mean everyone will come good. In that case, I can name a lot more in those last 20 years that went the other way.

He's not good enough for any Premier League team unless you're interested in fighting off relegation. And even that's being kind, I really don't think Southampton would start him.
You're being way too dramatic. If he's as bad as you say why did he play every game last season for the 4th best team in Italy? Why has he played for his country?

I'm not saying he's a great player at present, far from it in fact, but people like you speak in such absolutes it makes your point seem ridiculous.

He is nowhere near fit enough for the premier league, and his attitude isn't right for it either. It's so easy to see. Absolutely no surprise no single other club were in for him.

His confidence is in the gutter and he/us aren't good enough to lay the foundations for him to turn it around. Horrible to say it so early but we've bought enough crap in recent years to tell the stinkers early, and he is pretty pongy.