Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
His hold up play is actually much better than I expected and it should only improve if he can adjust to the pace of the premier league but yeah his finishing is frustrating to say the least especially that chance late on in the second half.

You said "he tries to set up a perfect finish but more often than not it leads to him not getting the chance to take a shot at all", what I find a weird comment after this game. I have no recollection of such case in this very limited sample of game time for United.

I think there was two chances where he over dribbled in the box and one at the end when Mainoo squared it to him. He got a shot away but it should have been a goal; in those situations it's better to shoot with speed/power with laces than picking a spot with his side foot. Need to see again but those two come to mind.

It's a fine line between being so calm and measured on the ball outside the box with his link up and then also being perhaps a bit gun shy i.e taking too long to shoot in it.

The save from Ramsdale was actually amazing, that goes in against 80% of the league.

Promising that he is getting chances and is in the right place at the right time.

Could easily be on 4 goals already.

Needs to start bagging them though.

he is getting in good places and I suspected the goals will follow. Love the link up play and hold up were great. I feel him and bruno are operating in the same space and would like to see Bruno rested with Zirkzee in the 10.
Bet Amad and Garnacho loved playing with him.

It is stupid to conclude on a players finishing after a few games. Waaaay to small sample size.

There are times I’d think he’s about to lose the ball but he would some how make it out Looks really good. His finishing has always looked a bit weak for a striker though

The guy is totally clueless, a poor excuse of a CF. Exactly what I expected after scoring only 14 goals in 58 matches in Italy. He won't score 10 goals this season. Not that he's gonna get so much chance, after Hojlund's return he's gonna sit back to the bench.
Sorry to disappoint you, but based on his performances he is most likely to start every match than be on bench.

Even if he himself doesn't score a ton of goals if he is able to continue to be this glue for the attack he will keep starting. His touch, one touch passing, lay offs...just so smooth. Others will have to step up though.

Very encouraged by him so far. His general play and passing has been very good, and he's getting among chances far more than I thought he would. Needs to play with more aggression (Van Dink dominated him I felt) but if he keeps getting these chances, the goals will comfortably come.

He and Rasmus combined would be lethal.
We aren't going to do it (Bruno and Mount are going to be the things stopping that) but a 442 with our group would actually be quite good. Amad or Garnacho on one wing with maybe Dalot on the other as a wide mid, Ugarte and Mainoo in mid, then Hojlund and Zirkzee up top. Can even have Rashford rotate with Hojlund in that setup, always felt Rashford would've been far better in the times of 442 where he can be the off ball runner next to a bigger striker like Zirkzee.

You’d love to think Ruud could make this guy a complete striker. He played very well for us today.

Did very well in his link up game but oh my how bad he is at shooting. Van Nistelrooy should have a word with him.

I really hope somehow we find a way to get him and Rasmus on the pitch at the same time.

If Rashford can find any sort of form, it’ll be because of Zirkzee. Rash played his best when he had Martial to play 1-2s off of and Zirkzee is arguably better at that. If Rashford ever regains his elite form, Zirkzee is going to be bagging tons of assists.

Becoming more and more impressed by him. Can see the Kane and Berbatov comparisons. He has a lot about him.

The last thing this team probably needs is a static striker who will score a lot, but everything will go through him. Case in point, Zlatan in 2017/18 or Ronaldo in 2021/22.

Yeah, United striker should hit +15 goals at least, but the key for team success is unlocking everyone around. Not sure if this man can do it and it is his 1st season here, but the signing from that perspective makes total sense and I like it a lot.

It amazes me that so many football fans, not just Utd fans, don't seem to get this basic point. One dimensional forwards who only score really aren't that valuable outside of freaks like Haaland and even he has doubters. The CF scoring 15 and the team scoring 70 is vastly preferable to the CF scoring 25 and the team 55.

That is where Hojlund will have to show development this season, good finisher but based on last season possesses a very basic all round game that really doesn't mesh well with those around him.

game comp:

Love his touch and the weight on his passes.

The Liverpool game obviously came much too soon for him, and he had a bit of a deer in the headlights game. Here's hoping we see more like today going forward.

A very assured performance from him today.
His first touch and link up play was very good and proved useful in retaining the possession in tight spaces. That’s often the area where it breaks down for United and they end up losing possession all too easily so it was good to see him playing well.

Great link up play but ultimately a striker's job is to score and he's missed way too many clear cut chances. Needs to improve his finishing fast.

That is where Hojlund will have to show development this season, good finisher but based on last season possesses a very basic all round game that really doesn't mesh well with those around him.
For me, play them together and/or make them train together, so they can learn from eachother and learn how to compliment eachother..... See what happens, maybe we get an explosive combo

He’s had 2-3 starts? Yes he’s missed some good chances but he’s getting into good positions to miss chances, and today he helped knit our play together beautifully. I’m the opposite of disappointed. I’m really excited to see what more is to come! Especially under RVN’s tutoring!

I think we should at least give him a chance before feeling disappointed in him.
I hope you are right

Obviously needs to score goals, but based on early performances it seems like he might be the starting #9 and Hojlund getting 30 minutes off the bench to run at and try to overpower tiring CBs makes the most sense.

Just seems like a nightmare to play against for CBs in terms of him dropping deep and quickly relaying the ball to a teammate. If CBs start overplaying that there will be space in behind for others.

He’s quite a unique player. Thought he was good today but should have buried that chance that was blocked. Early days but happy with the signing.

I was really excited about him, but the feeling is waning pretty rapidly. Albeit, he is still adjusting, but we can already say he is far from an instant hit. Really hoping he will figure things out, but some of the problems, like poor finishing, has little to do with "adjusting", so I am not going to hold my breath. Disappointed
Really? I loved what I saw today. Pure silk.

Said it before. I can see him being one of those cult hero players.

Don't think he'll score a million goals for the club, and might end up not being that guy for us, but his skillset is useful and a lot of fans will enjoy his playstyle

I think he’s really good technically and if he’d scored today as he should have I’d have given him MOTM - I am a bit concerned about our press when he’s in the team though - he doesn’t look especially mobile and I think we’ve been pretty poor OOP every time he’s been on the pitch.