Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a midfield 2 of Mainoo and Neves just wouldn't be able to physically compete in the EPL, unfortunately. Even City field Rodri to add that metal in midfield, and when he's not about they play 4 CBs.
I might agree in the bigger games against top 6 but Neves is very good defensively and could handle a lot of the premier league, plus Mainoo isn’t a slouch defensively.
Also Neves would offer more passing ability which would be needed in games where we have more possession.

Interesting move, so it will be a midfield 3 of Neves, Vitinha and Ruiz.
Rumour is they will sell Ruiz. Probably the perfect time to if you want to reinvest elsewhere - ie your Mbappe replacements.

discussions between United and PSG have happened; I’d imagine positions on each teams players would have been discussed and also players we might have competed on, such as Yoro and Neves.

I think we also might be interested in Xavi Simons, hence delays in giving Bayern the finances to sign him via de Ligt.
Having a good understanding with PSG can help us get the best deal for him and Ugarte.

Hmm, I'll wait until PSG sign him, then lowball them for Ugarte.

Would'd loved to get Neves though.

Hopefully gazump this one once Yoro is complete. I don’t mind spending on the best talents, even if means taking some out of next years budget.
Yup gazump this please. Don't care if PSG get pissed and don't sell us ugarte.

Oh fun fact by the way - Ugarte, Neves, Yoro all have Jorge Mendes as their agent

If we somehow go back in for Neves and get him, will PSG still be open to selling Ugarte.

If we somehow go back in for Neves and get him, will PSG still be open to selling Ugarte.

Who knows, but the threat of it might make them waiver on the type of prices they’re setting for him.

Rumour is they will sell Ruiz. Probably the perfect time to if you want to reinvest elsewhere - ie your Mbappe replacements.
Really? Ruiz is superb. As much as ETH dream about Frankie, Ruiz would be a good alternative. Fantastic for Spain in the euros.

Entirely different sort of players and we need Ugarte far more than Neves. Neves is just seen as an elite talent.
True we need Ugarte more, but if we can get both and offload all of Casemiro, McT and Eriksen, I am all for it.

Neves to PSG doesn’t make sense to me.

Vitinha, Zaire-Emery & Ruiz is surely the starting 3. Not sure he puts any of them out the team.

Neves to PSG doesn’t make sense to me.

Vitinha, Zaire-Emery & Ruiz is surely the starting 3. Not sure he puts any of them out the team.
WZE is very young still, you could see him splitting minutes with another player for injury or rest considerations.

Really don't get the appeal of PSG from a footballing perspective. Strange decision from the lad given I'm sure he has other suitors across Europe.

Yeah cause he's gonna play against plumbers and firemen in France. Meanwhile if he went to Spain or Germany he'd be playing against top sides every weekend. Or maybe not, cause all the top 5 leagues are filled with dross from spots 5 - 20 . In Spain you've got the classico and what else? Atletico is decent if Simeone fires them up. It's 4 matches out of 38 that are "competitive". You think Mbappe will be "tested" at Real? He'll have the same silver platter he had in Paris. He'll probably even have better numbers with the same amount of work put in.

Elsewhere in Germany it's Bayern until a modern miracle happens or Dortmund decides to challenge. Again it's no more than 4 tough matches per year. In Italy you've a bunch of legacy teams but no one has too much money so it actually resembles balance. England is different cause a lot of mid table teams have been on financial steroids for a while now. In France he'll have a bunch of his teammates from Benfica/Portugal, he'll get to play in some nice atmospheres like Lyon and Marseille and he'll play on the brightest stage the club football has to offer, the CL. Plus the PSG he grew up watching had some of the biggest names in football play for them so it might mean something extra to this kid.

Sell that "get challenged every week" to someone who didn't watch Serie A in the 90's. Most of you have this spoonfed idea of what Ligue 1 looks like without actually watching a minute of it; like I'm reading some bad reddit copypasta.

Really don't get the appeal of PSG from a footballing perspective. Strange decision from the lad given I'm sure he has other suitors across Europe.

Massive wages, almost guaranteed to win the league, destination city, Champions League knockouts every year.

It's obviously a pretty compelling package.

If he goes to PSG, he won't be there long. I don't get beyond the obvious why any top talents would go there now, especially such young promising ones who have a pick of clubs to choose from.

Where may I find a list of clubs who have earned the most money from sales in recent years?

Benfica must be up there

Haven't clubs learnt after the Enzo transfer? That fee is absolutely obscene for someone who has tons of potential but has proven very little so far.
No one will pay that for him, I think Benfica want him for another year anyway, so it's a similar situation to Branthwaite. That's the price if you want him this summer.

Heh, some work to do yet from PSG then. Looks like Ugarte will need to be offloaded.

Want us to move wan bissaka and Casemiro, I'm curious what the next moves will be for incomings

seems PSG bound. What a pity for us
Luis Enrique, the pay and the weather are 3 great appeals.
Yeah the pay I get, maybe Enrique might be a lure for some but the weather isn’t that much different to the UK is it? Ligue 1is just a bit shit really, (I’m sure I read somewhere that they’re struggling to get some new tv money in) and let’s be honest Paris just seems like a bit of a shit hole, at least it was when I last went, not to mention the fact the locals like to burn the fecking place to the ground every few months.

I’d say the cons outweigh the pros for me but different strokes for different folks an’ all that.

The weather? It’s in Paris.
Compared to the north west, it's miles better. That being said, I once had an argument in a bar with a Parisien lady complaining on how cold it is here and I bet her the next round it was colder in Paris. God bless apple weather app.

Haven't clubs learnt after the Enzo transfer? That fee is absolutely obscene for someone who has tons of potential but has proven very little so far.
Just Enzo? What about Sanches, Darwin Nunez or João Felix? Even Gonçalo Ramos, who wasn't really that impactful last year. I'd be wary of big money transfers from Benfica.

I might agree in the bigger games against top 6 but Neves is very good defensively and could handle a lot of the premier league, plus Mainoo isn’t a slouch defensively.
Also Neves would offer more passing ability which would be needed in games where we have more possession.

I think we need to move to a 4-3-3 with Mainoo emerging. He’s not quite suited to playing in a two just now, and it’s something we should have started trying to move to years ago. It’s why, for all his good games, I’d sell Bruno for a decent offer if I was sure we could get Neves in on top of Ugarte (or an alternative).

Luis Enrique, the pay and the weather are 3 great appeals.

The Parisian weather? Neves is from Lisbon!

Yeah the pay I get, maybe Enrique might be a lure for some but the weather isn’t that much different to the UK is it? Ligue 1is just a bit shit really, (I’m sure I read somewhere that they’re struggling to get some new tv money in) and let’s be honest Paris just seems like a bit of a shit hole, at least it was when I last went, not to mention the fact the locals like to burn the fecking place to the ground every few months.

I’d say the cons outweigh the pros for me but different strokes for different folks an’ all that.
People just forget France has actually footballing history. Its not some back water place to play football. Its standard is not championship by any means

People just forget France has actually footballing history. Its not some back water place to play football. Its standard is not championship by any means
[/QUOTE
I’m not saying it’s championship style but it ain’t no prem, bundesliga, la liga, serie A, and let’s be honest PSG’s history only stretches back to the 70s and there ain’t no St Etiene, Lyon, Marseille, Bordeaux ever going to touch them….ever again.

And Paris is still a riot ridden shit hole.

I have no issue with us not spending the release clause, but it will suck if PSG find a way around that.

Benfica seem to be sticking to their guns though.

Status
Not open for further replies.