Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Portuguese journalist on "The Transfers" podcast, Jorge Mendes was instructed by Utd to get Neves this summer. Mendes was working on a deal for €60mil. However Benfica don't want to sell and want €100mil. Much to Mendes frustration as Utd can't and won't go that high.

Apparently Neves, is a very smart footballer, very aggressive, mentally strong and club captain material.

Sounds like the right type of player for us under INEOS.

According to the Portuguese journalist on "The Transfers" podcast, Jorge Mendes was instructed by Utd to get Neves this summer. Mendes was working on a deal for €60mil. However Benfica don't want to sell and want €100mil. Much to Mendes frustration as Utd can't and won't go that high.

Apparently Neves, is a very smart footballer, very aggressive, mentally strong and club captain material.

Sounds like the right type of player for us under INEOS.
Doesn’t sound believable. Two reasons:

1. Their previous sales have been higher than that by some distance.

2. He’s the jewel in the crown of their academy; there’s no way anyone was getting a cut price deal on him.

2. He’s the jewel in the crown of their academy; there’s no way anyone was getting a cut price deal on him.
Maybe 60 mil ans some players added on from our side like say Lindelof?

And yeah there's no way they'd sell for that much.

Maybe 60 mil ans some players added on from our side like say Lindelof?

And yeah there's no way they'd sell for that much.
He’s ex-alumni there, but I doubt they could afford his wages. Don’t know what their squad situation is to know if he’d be appealing to them, but tbh, I’m not sure many would entertain a move to Portugal if they have big league interest. Lindelof hasn’t done particularly well here, but I would be surprised if he can’t find a suitor if he lowers his wage demands a little.

Straight cash seems to be the currency for Benfica, as opposed to cash+player(s) swaps or getting youngsters on loan from bigger clubs, and I should think they’re expecting a lot of it for their star boy - it’d be like us selling off an [untainted] Greenwood; even if you do land him, you’re going to pay out the nose for him.

Why can’t we afford him? Chelsea seems to add players left and right at £100m and flying below FFP radar. Just need to be smart and work out a long term deal.

It's standard football practice, you have a budget and you instruct agent(s) to see what they can do to get you the player within your budget. If your trying to get a Portuguese player out of Portugal 99.9% of the time it's going to be via Mendes.

Benfica want €100mil and don't want to sell this summer. So it isn't going to happen.

We've just done similar for Branthwaite. £42mil with add-ons and Everton want £70mil. So most likely that transfer won't happen either.

Why can’t we afford him? Chelsea seems to add players left and right at £100m and flying below FFP radar. Just need to be smart and work out a long term deal.
Ye we should offer him a 10 year deal.

He’s ex-alumni there, but I doubt they could afford his wages. Don’t know what their squad situation is to know if he’d be appealing to them, but tbh, I’m not sure many would entertain a move to Portugal if they have big league interest. Lindelof hasn’t done particularly well here, but I would be surprised if he can’t find a suitor if he lowers his wage demands a little.

Straight cash seems to be the currency for Benfica, as opposed to cash+player(s) swaps or getting youngsters on loan from bigger clubs, and I should think they’re expecting a lot of it for their star boy - it’d be like us selling off an [untainted] Greenwood; even if you do land him, you’re going to pay out the nose for him.
Portuguese clubs want money, not player +cash. If anyone is interested in the state of Portuguese football and players potentially leaving to join bigger clubs this podcast episode is a good listen.

Sergio Krithinas joins Duncan Castles for a Transfers Podcast Portugal special.

https://shows.acast.com/transferspo...aresca-mourinhos-mission-bruno-explores-exit-

+ Chelsea limit Maresca

+ Why Mourinho chose Fenerbahce

+ Bruno Fernandes explores exit

+ Man Utd bid for Neves; Benfica prefer to sell Silva

+ Amorim blocks Gyokeres transfer

+ Sporting market Diomande, not Inacio

+ Villas-Boas' Porto plan

+ Pinto perfect for Bournemouth

+ Ronaldo's Euros role

It's standard football practice, you have a budget and you instruct agent(s) to see what they can do to get you the player within your budget. If your trying to get a Portuguese player out of Portugal 99.9% of the time it's going to be via Mendes.

Benfica want €100mil and don't want to sell this summer. So it isn't going to happen.
To an extent; this is the star of their academy. It’s utterly farcical to throw around pithy figures knowing both the market and how much they’ve become accustomed to getting for their players.

They are able to sell multiple academy players for tens of millions every single season. Every academy player they sell for £x gives them an additional £5x towards the transfer budget.

The gamble here is that they pretty much have to continue selling players every season while the contracts of the new additions are amortized.

In essence, the club's strategy involves a cycle of developing and selling academy players to continuously fund new signings, relying on the regular influx of funds from these sales to manage their financial commitments.

They are able to sell multiple academy players for tens of millions every single season. Every academy player they sell for £x gives them an additional £5x towards the transfer budget.

The gamble here is that they pretty much have to continue selling players every season while the contracts of the new additions are amortized.

In essence, the club's strategy involves a cycle of developing and selling academy players to continuously fund new signings, relying on the regular influx of funds from these sales to manage their financial commitments.
I do believe the cost of £100m player is spread for 4-5 years. So in essence on the books it only showing 15-20m per season. It does limit the spending over the course of the next few seasons but you get the player you want now.

I do believe the cost of £100m player is spread for 4-5 years. So in essence on the books it only showing 15-20m per season. It does limit the spending over the course of the next few seasons but you get the player you want now.

Yes, and a sale of an academy player is pure profit for the year of sale and is not spread out like acquisition cost.

Chelsea sold two hotels owned by the club and are in talks about selling their training ground and leasing it back. So they have their limitations as well.

Peter Risdale "dare to dream" fiasco comes to mind.

How I would love to secure this guy and Yoro but let's be realistic neither is gonna happen, so maybe go Diomande/Tapsoba and Fofana instead

How I would love to secure this guy and Yoro but let's be realistic neither is gonna happen, so maybe go Diomande/Tapsoba and Fofana instead
Two of them aren't rated by posters who follow their respective leagues regularly and they are mostly spot on with assesment for players from their league so I would be wary of United signing Diomande or Fofana .

His price is definitely not going to increase based on his Euro performances

He's playing with the B Team with nothing on the line. Hard to judge him on that.
He is a B player! I have written it before, a good player, with a lot of maturity for his age. Hyped because most people mistake age with potencial.

As mid as Neves has been against Georgia, Benfica won't be selling Antonio Silva on the back of this performance.

As mid as Neves has been against Georgia, Benfica won't be selling Antonio Silva on the back of this performance.

That first goal was ugggllllyyy. Not only gave the ball away but then got dusted for pace by Khvara, who is great but not super fast.

It’s always funny how carelessly people are willing to gamble £100m on unproven potential! I remember most of the Caf pleading for us to sign Sancho for a monstrous fee and claiming he was a “generational talent”.

He’s not worth what they’d want but he has huge potential. So did Billy Gilmour…
Talented player with a good mentality and tenacity but 100m is too much, and the pressure would be on him straight away.

The knee-jerking based around single games needs to be wound down. Doesn't common sense and extrapolation of what we've seen from other extremely highly valued players in this tournament not delivering as they do for their clubs, told you that? Or at least to factor it in when it comes to perspective?

There are very, very few players at this tournament delivering at the level their touted valuations state they should.

The knee-jerking based around single games needs to be wound down. Doesn't common sense and extrapolation of what we've seen from other extremely highly valued players in this tournament not delivering as they do for their clubs, told you that? Or at least to factor it in when it comes to perspective?

There are very, very few players at this tournament delivering at the level their touted valuations state they should.

Agreed, he’s also very young, but it doesn’t entirely excuse such a nothing performance.

In addition to reducing the knee jerking, we need to stop the circle jerking over players like this lad. I’ve bet half the people in here saying he’s a must sign have watched very little of him outside of some highlights.

He’s not worth what they’d want but he has huge potential. So did Billy Gilmour…
Talented player with a good mentality and tenacity but 100m is too much, and the pressure would be on him straight away.
Could you specify where you see the potencial?

Status
Not open for further replies.