Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us trying to pry him away in the middle of their season definitely upped the hostility, you’re right. But I just don’t see why they would lower their demands in Neves’s case.

And only 6 months after he arrived.

As to your question - the offer would still be a lot of money which will always need to be considered. Secondly, they are far more likely to care about the player’s wishes in this case than they would with Enzo. They would have raised Neves and he is a son there. If he came and said he wanted to leave, they may choose to facilitate.

There was also a significant sell-on clause to consider with Enzo.

And only 6 months after he arrived.

As to your question - the offer would still be a lot of money which will always need to be considered. Secondly, they are far more likely to care about the player’s wishes in this case than they would with Enzo. They would have raised Neves and he is a son there. If he came and said he wanted to leave, they may choose to facilitate.

There was also a significant sell-on clause to consider with Enzo.
Don't kid yourself mate.
It is all about the money when it comes to the Portuguese clubs.

I doubt anybody will pay the asking price this summer, which helps us as we can't afford to anyway. Helps his own development to stay another season though

PSG are not what they were. FFP has now stopped them paying 600k a week to players, and they no longer have Messi, Neymar or Mbappé for players to play with. When it’s all said and done, they are still in Ligue Un and I think they will return to their standing as a bit second rate for the very best players in their prime now if there is good competition for signings.

Why would you want to go and spend your prime years in Ligue Un if you have options?

If we manage to offload Greenwood, Sancho and Casemiro - we can easily buy players for £200m +

But that's the big IF

If we make a £20 mill profit on Greenwood and £10 mill profit on Pellistri that should be enough to cover both wages for Sancho and a loss on book value of Antony. That should put us in a position to invest in two new £80 mill attackers (but I hope we dont).

He would be my dream signing. His potential is crazy, and if I'm going to be honest, I think his potential exceeds Mainoo's. Luckily for us, I can't imagine there will be a lot of competition for him this year, at least not among the top clubs. Barcelona don't need him, Real Madrid don't need him, Chelsea don't need him, Arsenal don't need him, Bayern won't pay what he will cost and neither will Liverpool, even if he could potentially be a very good fit for them next to Mac Allister with a proper DM behind them. That leaves very few clubs that could actually afford him. Maybe City as he could be a good fit next to Rodri, but they don't need him right now, and he wouldn't want to sit on the bench.

On the flip side, he is going to cost a fortune. We are in desperate need of new signings all across the pitch, so if signing him stops us from buying three players in different positions, I think we should wait until next summer. Maybe he won't be there, but I just can't see any of the top clubs going for him this summer.
I think it depends on how many players we manage to get rid of. If we're able to offload Greenwood, Sancho and Casemiro in one window, then those players should be able to fund Joao Neves alone which leaves room to sign more players.

Joao Neves and Mainoo next to each other with a defensive midfielder to protect the back four could potentially be a lite version of Casemiro - Modric - Kroos.

Well looks like this isn’t happening then. Guess we’ll have to settle with making the Amrabat move permanent and signing a younger midfielder that’s off the radar.
Be positive, INEOS and all

He would be my dream signing. His potential is crazy, and if I'm going to be honest, I think his potential exceeds Mainoo's. Luckily for us, I can't imagine there will be a lot of competition for him this year, at least not among the top clubs. Barcelona don't need him, Real Madrid don't need him, Chelsea don't need him, Arsenal don't need him, Bayern won't pay what he will cost and neither will Liverpool, even if he could potentially be a very good fit for them next to Mac Allister with a proper DM behind them. That leaves very few clubs that could actually afford him. Maybe City as he could be a good fit next to Rodri, but they don't need him right now, and he wouldn't want to sit on the bench.

On the flip side, he is going to cost a fortune. We are in desperate need of new signings all across the pitch, so if signing him stops us from buying three players in different positions, I think we should wait until next summer. Maybe he won't be there, but I just can't see any of the top clubs going for him this summer.
I think it depends on how many players we manage to get rid of. If we're able to offload Greenwood, Sancho and Casemiro in one window, then those players should be able to fund Joao Neves alone which leaves room to sign more players.

Joao Neves and Mainoo next to each other with a defensive midfielder to protect the back four could potentially be a lite version of Casemiro - Modric - Kroos.

Arsenal don’t need him?

I think they’re looking to upgrade Partey

Neves and Rice would be a fantastic pairing

Arsenal don’t need him?

I think they’re looking to upgrade Partey

Neves and Rice would be a fantastic pairing

You're right, it would be a fantastic duo and they could use him, but I very much doubt they're buying another defensive midfielder for £100m when they spent the same on Declan Rice last summer. They're also in need of a striker, and I think Havertz will drop back into midfield next to Ødegaard ahead of Rice when they get one.

PSG do like to buy central midfielders. Feels like they get two every window.

They have Zaire Emery, Fabien Ruiz , Vitinha and Ugarte. Absolutely criminal if they sign Jao Neves and still do nothing in the champions league

They have Zaire Emery, Fabien Ruiz , Vitinha and Ugarte. Absolutely criminal if they sign Jao Neves and still do nothing in the champions league

They also recently signed 18-year-old DM Gabriel Moscardo, arguably the most highly rated South American midfielder in his age group.

Adding Neves seems like overkill, especially for 100m.

They also recently signed 18-year-old DM Gabriel Moscardo, arguably the most highly rated South American midfielder in his age group.

Adding Neves seems like overkill, especially for 100m.
Maybe we can get Fabien Ruiz from them then.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Mainoo is not mobile enough or aggressive enough in his defensive work. So I thought what we need is a no 6 who press resistant to keep possession when being pressed during our build up play but has the mobility, energy, and aggressiveness when doing defensive work to balance out what Mainoo lacks. So it’s a better fit to have someone like that rather than someone who sits and be reactive.

I haven’t watch enough games of Neves but based on the stats and the way how he plays, he looks like a press resistant deep midfielder when on the ball and always look mobile, proactive and aggressive when defending.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Mainoo is not mobile enough or aggressive enough in his defensive work. So I thought what we need is a no 6 who press resistant to keep possession when being pressed during our build up play but has the mobility, energy, and aggressiveness when doing defensive work to balance out what Mainoo lacks. So it’s a better fit to have someone like that rather than someone who sits and be reactive.

I haven’t watch enough games of Neves but based on the stats and the way how he plays, he looks like a press resistant deep midfielder when on the ball and always look mobile, proactive and aggressive when defending.

Yep this is right but shiny new toy and people convincing themselves that a double pivot of Mainoo / Neves can work. Some reasonable arguments but I'm not really sold.

Yep this is right but shiny new toy and people convincing themselves that a double pivot of Mainoo / Neves can work. Some reasonable arguments but I'm not really sold.
I presume he's suggesting Neves as the 6 to partner with Mainoo.

We definitely need more mobility and aggressiveness in midfield.

I think Neves and Mainoo gives us great versatility and you can pair them with a more tactically disciplined attacking mid, or a deep playmaker.

My preference would be them two next to an elite long range passer. If the third midfielder has the ability to release Holjund, Garnacho and Rashford on the counter attack, it would allow us to have a very well rounded midfield as I think Mainoo and Neves are at their best playing shorter passes.

I noticed a few posters mention city being a suitable destination for Neves but I’m sure players will think twice about joining them before their investigation is completed and its impending repercussions fully burdened onto city.

You are right. But I see teams that will observe opponents and attempt to cash in on their weaknesses. I'd say that missing height and physicality could be seen as a weakness and so teams could potentially hurt us. Whether they succeed with that, I don't know. Whether our own game plan will be good enough to counter all that I don't know.

I feel like you are circling too much on me mentioning height as an issue. Again - I see Neves height as a problem WHEN he would be brought in to play next to Mainoo and between Martinez and Bruno. I DO NOT want to play aerial bombardment whatsoever. I am FULLY aware that there are other factors involved and a player certainly can counteract missing physical traits with other aspects.

I don't think we will reach common ground when you try to picture my position as some height extremist Stoke City fan, who wants to re-juvenate such football. I consider my position to be as differentiated as yours, I just seem to have different preferences and I value some aspects differently to you.

You might have a point there. And I can see and understand somebody disagreeing with me but I don't see the "damage" done when trying to look for players of a certain profile to make sure the height aspect is part of the profile as well (an be that only something like "don't be smaller than 1,80m"). Not like those players aren't out there. Take Wieffers for example.

You're surely right. But just as much as you can say more technical quality might have helped them to win the title, I could say having more technical quality at the cost of defensive stability might have hurt them even earlier. But I get your point and I agree - height is NOT a huge factor all things considered.

I agree. But keep in mind that I am not advocating FOR a "height over technical ability" approach at all. Maybe the only difference between us is that I would probably look for a little longer to find a candidate that has everything that I(!!) consider as important.

see above

see above

I see your point. And yes, that is what I would do. I would dig deeper. But as you say - if there is one candidate that is superior in all metrics except height then be assured, I wouldn't stop it that player to be brought in. My position is based on the assumption that a perfect player is out there and we "only" have to find him.
On top of it, I can only repeat that my concerns aren't necessarily on a player basis - my concerns would be on a team basis. And given that many here see Martinez, Bruno and Mainoo (understandibly) as mainstays of the team, that will leave the height department dependent on the other midfielder and the CB who we have to bring in. I think that is a bit worrying because I think some "rules" still apply (obviously the extents change and have changed over time) and based on that, I'd add height to the search profile in this specific situation.

Tiny Makelele played with Terry, Cavalho and Ballack in a team, didn't he? And I would say the verdict on Martinez might be a little too soon. I mean, he hasn't played all the matches we had since he is here, nor are we at the level where team "would do everything" to get one over us. Also our defensive output is certainly not where we want it to be. Which obviously does not mean it is because height is the one missing piece.

But I agree to your overall point - Mertinez height might be not as much of a problem as many people thought. Especially when combined with the right partner. I would assume he wouldn't look too well next to Lindelof. Varane and Maguire are obvious very good in the air so that definitely helps.

I agree, which is another area we have to improve on. I called it intensity, aggressiveness and organisation but the way you described it is more precise.

(I intentionally left out a few paragraphs as I would have repeated myself)
We agree on some elements, but height in and of itself is just too overstated when other factors have such precedence, especially in midfield.

Physicality just isn't one and the same with height, and that aggressive, shorter pitbull type who mightn't win the first ball but is practically a guarantee for the second, is what will win you more midfield battles, games and points over the course of a season, imo. Winning the second ball and then using it to the benefits of your own side is such a massive deterrent to aerial balls that it can be used as a conditioner to even prevent the ball being lofted high in the first place.

In this day and age territorial advatage and progressive carries as well as the platform to set transitions in motion are the greatest currency by far. I'd liken it to aerial balls being the puncher's chance and a comprehensive ground game being the route to a consummate hiding, being peppered with hits from every conceivable angle, which is why we just don't see it often anymore as even weak teams don't proverbially swing wildly anymore hoping to connect with their eyes closed.

Even in this tournament being played now, there hasn't been a team trying to go long into midfield, and there most likely won't be one.

I feel you use height as interchangeable with physicality, but it just not the case in midfield. Where you need both is at CB, or better to say, it's massively beneficial there because you have everything to gain (a literal goal) in aggressive aerial scrambles there with a lot less plays for attempted knockdowns/layoffs for others, but it just isn't the same contest in midfield, which is why DM has such a vast pool of tiny players being dominant right at the base of their respective team (with or without assistance).

Incidentally, similar goes for full-backs now or in the past. Height plus aggression obviously preferred, but at the very least you want a robust, disruptive shorter FB making the first ball really difficult to win, but onus being on winning the second ball or making it much easier for the CB on the inside to.

I'll reiterate that unless you're up against absolute colossus level aerial threat AM's, like a Ballack or a Bellingham (when throwing his weight about), it's just not a big concern. Even citing Bellingham is a bit redundant given 9/10, he wants the ball on the deck and has little desire for head tennis.

Anyway, I think the topic is exhausted, so this'll be my last extensive post on it. :)

He's making the point that Neves looks exactly what we need, but that fans are somehow convincing themselves that his qualities aren't a need.

I don't think people are paying enough attention to his character. Looks to have a great mentality that will fit in nicely into the culture we want to create. He and Mainoo despite being teenagers, look like great building blocks for our spine.

Agreed. I am becoming more and more minded that Mainoo can/will develop into more of a forward thinking midfielder. I remember Southgate’s first interview when he was asked about his form, before his first call up even, when he said ‘I think he’s a more advanced midfielder than people think’, and also interesting to see that, while the two of them were subbed last night - he was brought on for Bellingham and not Trent, although Trent’s role is the one he had been touted to play.

I think Mainoo can replace Bruno longer term, of course not like for like, but I think he’s got a lot of Pogba in him as an advanced 8, rather than a 10 or a player who excels defensively. Lovely feet and an eye for goal which will develop over the coming years.

Neves is the one you really want as the engine of a team.

Comments from Alexander Bah:

- I actually tell all my teammates on the national team that this is a player they should look forward to seeing, because he is one of the wildest things I have ever seen on a football field. He can do everything.

- He is the smallest in our team in Benfica, yet the one who wins the most aerial duels. He has the most beautiful technique and the passes are always perfect.

- I actually tell all my teammates on the national team that this is a player they should look forward to seeing, because he is one of the wildest things I have ever seen on a football field. He can do everything.

- He is the smallest in our team in Benfica, yet the one who wins the most aerial duels. He has the most beautiful technique and the passes are always perfect.
Oh dear, they are even using the players now to squeeze more money out of potential buyers!

Yep. Benfica were incredibly strong and forceful when we were after Enzo. They were absolutely adamant that it was release clause or no negotiating even after he told them he badly wanted to go.

Unless they are suddenly in a bad spot financially I don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same with their next gem João Neves.
Enzo was awarded best young player at the WC which is extremely prestigious and hence an instant bump up in any negotiations.

Doesn’t sound anything like a modern United signing.

We can’t go anywhere near that release clause without completely blowing our budget

We don’t know what our budget is. From a PSR perspective, selling Greenwood alone should pretty much cover his signing even at the release clause figure.

Maybe Dalot and Fernandes can have a word with him.

Would love to sign Neves but at the prices quoted I think it's a huge risk especially since we will have limited funds. 70 - 80 million GBP seems like the right price but I don't expect Benfica would entertain that offer.

Actually weirdly correct. He wins 1.60 "aerials won" per 90 minutes which puts him in the top 82nd percentile across Europe's leagues below the top 5 (the 'next 14'). For comparison McTominay wins 1.70.

I noticed a few posters mention city being a suitable destination for Neves but I’m sure players will think twice about joining them before their investigation is completed and its impending repercussions fully burdened onto city.
Most players don't care

Kinda want the kid to play, and don’t… have a bad/good feeling he’s going to storm the tournament, and if he does that, we’re cooked, if there was ever a slither of hope in the first place.

what players will think about is the fact that Pep seems ready to leave City after next season

Kinda want the kid to play, and don’t… have a bad/good feeling he’s going to storm the tournament, and if he does that, we’re cooked, if there was ever a slither of hope in the first place.
He plays a few games, storms them and gets a minor injury that keeps him out from the rest of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.