Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoro might not fancy it but I’m confident we have a good chance with Neves, with Bruno and Dalot also on board. If it means having to spend our full initial £100 million on him, then funding the rest of our transfers with sales, I’m all for it. It’s no good if Liverpool, Arsenal or City end up signing the player we’ve been heavily scouting all season, we won’t be closing the gap any time soon.

It's a valid concern but I think we've been there, done that with the 'if we don't get the best players we won't close the gap' approach. The same thing was said about Pogba, Sancho. Sancho basically flopped, but Pogba is probably an even more informative example. He was often very good throughout his time with us, and statistically quite productive. He just wasn't the right profile of midfielder, and in the end we would have been better off spending less money on a less glamorous but more suitable signing. I say this as someone who was absolutely chuffed with both signings, incidentally. But you have to learn the lesson eventually.

What will stop us closing the gap (or let it continue to grow, even) is failing to address, directly, the actual weaknesses and gaps in our team. First and foremost, a proper honest-to-goodness sitting midfielder. Not an aggressive, tackling CM. A sitting defensive midfielder who has positional discipline and will shield our back four. Casemiro managed to do it well for about half a season and it was the most organised and effective I've seen us for about four years.

Yoro might not fancy it but I’m confident we have a good chance with Neves, with Bruno and Dalot also on board. If it means having to spend our full initial £100 million on him, then funding the rest of our transfers with sales, I’m all for it. It’s no good if Liverpool, Arsenal or City end up signing the player we’ve been heavily scouting all season, we won’t be closing the gap any time soon.

Have we even got that much to spend?

About the bolded part: I see your point and it is legit, but we also have to look a little closer. Real Madrid, especially in the last years operated from a position of power - which is not the case for us. I personally would even say that going for 100 million players once again could be interpreted in another attempt at cutting corners. We finished 8th, we shouldn't look only towards what City and Liverpool are doing, but also make sure, we will be above Spurs and Aston Villa next year. This is why I am so worried, because I have no clue about the actual budget, but I have a really hard time imagining that 80-120 million won't hit that budget hard. And we simply HAVE to have budget available because there are so many positions to fill if we don't want to see just another season of dragging players like Lindelof, Maguire or McTominay with us.

What you are saying is correct - we must not make such decision on the basis of "will all our current players be happy". But we still have to follow a measured approach that ticks all boxes. We aren't in a position to spend half the budget on one guy. After Maguire, Sancho and Antony - maybe we have to bite the bullet at some point and stop attempting to act as big boys when we aren't.

Generally yes I agree and for me Neves is a special case because he's really the only player that I'd be looking at this summer that would cost over that 50m or so mark, but my thought process is that the best asset we have is Mainoo: He is an elite talent and should be built around, and surrounding a potential world class player with another potential world class partner seems like the sort of move that creates a platform of success for the team for the next 5+ years. Yes absolutely we have a ton of holes in the squad, especially through the spine of the team (I'm on record as saying we need minimum 2 CB's and a DM this summer), but I think Neves is one of those rare cases where you potentially shift budgeted plans around because talents at his age might be sold once before you never get the chance to acquire them again. In this instance I don't even think we WOULD be acting like "big boys" because we aren't trying to sign veteran or established players for huge fees, instead going after a teenager to partner our own when neither one will probably be at their peak for 3 more years.

This is all also assuming we can get a deal done quickly. If it's something that would turn into a saga dragging through the summer then no thanks because we can't afford to miss out on Neves and then also be left chasing secondary targets as well because we had to allot so much of our budget towards him. But if we can get a deal done swiftly, I think (assuming INEOS aren't incompetent in selling players) that there is enough value in other parts of the market where we are buyers (CB, forwards, CM/DM, LB) that we can get quality players and fill holes not only for next season but for the future as well.

For instance if our summer was:

Yoro- 50m
Neves- 75m
Zirkzee- 30m
Todibo- 30m
Fofana- 20m

I think that's a 10/10 window honestly.

That would be about 200m spent (which I think is realistic), with 2 genuine world class young talents acquired (Yoro and Neves) and 3 others with the right age profile that provide valuable depth to the squad. Assuming sales netting us around 100-110 (conservatively) I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, so as you said it really just depends on how cheap INEOS will be and how restricted by FFP we really are. Without getting Neves, I think we probably go after Branthwaite and a better DM and possibly a LB too. But I do think the ballpark for us is around that 90-110 net spend.

It's a valid concern but I think we've been there, done that with the 'if we don't get the best players we won't close the gap' approach. The same thing was said about Pogba, Sancho. Sancho basically flopped, but Pogba is probably an even more informative example. He was often very good throughout his time with us, and statistically quite productive. He just wasn't the right profile of midfielder, and in the end we would have been better off spending less money on a less glamorous but more suitable signing. I say this as someone who was absolutely chuffed with both signings, incidentally. But you have to learn the lesson eventually.

What will stop us closing the gap (or let it continue to grow, even) is failing to address, directly, the actual weaknesses and gaps in our team. First and foremost, a proper honest-to-goodness sitting midfielder. Not an aggressive, tackling CM. A sitting defensive midfielder who has positional discipline and will shield our back four. Casemiro managed to do it well for about half a season and it was the most organised and effective I've seen us for about four years.
Neves can do this. It’s already been discussed on repeat in this thread, but we need someone who is an ideal partner for Mainoo in a double pivot behind Bruno, a midfielder comfortable as a 6 and an 8, not just a 6. The idea of using a lone pivot with Bruno playing his usual role won’t work. That’s not to say we don’t need a 6 too for squad depth.

Pogba and Sancho didn’t work out for their own unique reasons, the circumstances are completely different bar the price tag. The Pogba signing was an initial success, and we didn’t need Sancho whilst we already had Greenwood, Amad and Pellistri for that position. He was signed then used as a LW, behind Rashford in the pecking order. It was a mess all round.

There are not many quality young midfielders around, so many strong clubs with CL would be interested. We have to act quick

Yeah would be some effort to land him, however have we even got the budget to compete with others

Admittedly a bit of a an over excitement on my part as I haven't even seen him regularly for benfica this past season but seeing how famished we are for some proper midfielders he'd be someone whom I'd be delighted if managed to land.

I hope we have more resources this window then we let on if the reports of us going after braithwaite is true.

Admittedly a bit of a an over excitement on my part as I haven't even seen him regularly for benfica this past season but seeing how famished we are for some proper midfielders he'd be someone whom I'd be delighted if managed to land.

I hope we have more resources this window then we let on if the reports of us going after braithwaite is true.

My understanding is that while our PSR position should be fine, it’s our actual cash reserves that are a real problem. Hence some sales and structured deals would help to boost that, especially if one/some of those sales are to Saudi clubs who tend to pay upfront.

You can just see him being a star of Euros, so what do people think he could be signed for realistically?

Just out of interest…how likely is it for João Neves to start for Portugal in the Euros, or how much is he likely to feature?

Just out of interest…how likely is it for João Neves to start for Portugal in the Euros, or how much is he likely to feature?
Starting i would say 20%
I have to say, its a surprise to see so many Man United fans excited with Neves.
I don't see all the fuss is about.
Good player, yes, very mature yes, but to be completly honest i dont see him flourishing in the premier.

Joao Neves is the kind of midfielder that we get linked with, create threads about, but ultimately end up closing when they join Bayern, Barca, or Real. Highly technical, highly tenacious and ticks all the press resistant boxes you could want. If it weren't for us pulling Mainoo out of our ass, we'd have zero midfielders of this profile.

Trust me, this one isn't going to happen. We'll end up with someone semi-technical and physical.

He will certainly feature a lot, but my personal guess is that he doesn’t start from the off. I think he’ll lose out to Vitinha, and my guess would be that Portugal go with a Palhiña, Vitinha and Fernandes midfield 3 to start with.

This is just a bizarre thing to predicate how someone would do in the PL, and it clearly outlines a hangup that is your own rather than grounded in the product we're witnessing every week, which barely features any aerial bombardment in open play.
You are right. But I see teams that will observe opponents and attempt to cash in on their weaknesses. I'd say that missing height and physicality could be seen as a weakness and so teams could potentially hurt us. Whether they succeed with that, I don't know. Whether our own game plan will be good enough to counter all that I don't know.

The league is about economy of movement and progressions. What you're suggesting is one of the most wasteful and risky ways to play due to the uncertainties around loose balls and potential counters off transitions on an easy loose ball collection.

You're presenting an argument where it's pretty much essential for a team to hit arbitrary height requirements, so it is more representative of what you're saying than you probably realise.
I feel like you are circling too much on me mentioning height as an issue. Again - I see Neves height as a problem WHEN he would be brought in to play next to Mainoo and between Martinez and Bruno. I DO NOT want to play aerial bombardment whatsoever. I am FULLY aware that there are other factors involved and a player certainly can counteract missing physical traits with other aspects.

I don't think we will reach common ground when you try to picture my position as some height extremist Stoke City fan, who wants to re-juvenate such football. I consider my position to be as differentiated as yours, I just seem to have different preferences and I value some aspects differently to you.

What you are saying is grounded in a logical, common sense approach of it's better to have than not, but it is simply not paramount to be the team you want to be, unless that team wants to cover for all eventualities in a 'just in case' kind of way.
You might have a point there. And I can see and understand somebody disagreeing with me but I don't see the "damage" done when trying to look for players of a certain profile to make sure the height aspect is part of the profile as well (an be that only something like "don't be smaller than 1,80m"). Not like those players aren't out there. Take Wieffers for example.

You might as well remove Rodri from the discussion as an obvious outlier whom even City couldn't replace like for like.
Gravenburch is a soft player who is of no real use once things go beyond his aggression remit. Szoboszlai is a non-factor in the discussion as we're talking about deep midfield. Fabinho is neither here nor there in this discussion given I made the very point of Liverpool doing perfectly fine in midfield with Endo and McCallister in the campaign just gone, challenging for the league until we dismantled their season. Height, specifically the lack of, played little to no factor in their capitulation and I bet they'd have given anything for an extra notch up in the football on and off the ball they could have played, but for the lack of actual quality in their midfield.
You're surely right. But just as much as you can say more technical quality might have helped them to win the title, I could say having more technical quality at the cost of defensive stability might have hurt them even earlier. But I get your point and I agree - height is NOT a huge factor all things considered.

Brighton have practically been the torchbearer for a kind of football most in the league wished they were capable of, until they sold off the players who made it that much more impressive than it is without them. In fact, the notion presented is of their previous style of play extrapolated upon by way of better (not taller) players doing the exact same thing.
I agree. But keep in mind that I am not advocating FOR a "height over technical ability" approach at all. Maybe the only difference between us is that I would probably look for a little longer to find a candidate that has everything that I(!!) consider as important.

What use is a taller player who is a lot worse at the fundamentals of midfield play? You shackle and oppress teans with your work along the deck, on and off the ball - the ball is not in the air frequently enough for it to make an overwhelming impression over the course of a season, unless you, as a team, are absolutely exceptional in aerial contests to the point opposing sides have to cater to what you're doing and alter their own style of play.
see above

Getting in a sloppier player who can't: pass as well through the lines; play quick one and two-touch football; dance through the press; act superfluously as a first receiver, but can handle all elements of aerial play is a massive net negative.
see above

Your wish, I suppose, is for these S and A tier DM's who can do all of the above on top of having height as a meaningful metric. Well good luck with those unicorns who have it all. In the meantime, we look at the market and assess the true pros and cons of the available players and weight them against what it means for a team as a collective, which is where a shorter player who is way above average in all aspects of play along the floor easily trumps those who might be physically imposing, but not in the same class as actual footballers, especially midfielders, where every touch and movement has such an impact on the way a whole team plays.
The problem here is that there's no such thing as old school im terms of uniformity of height in that position. In fact, you couldn't have picked a worse position if you tried given the enormous height discrepancies between true greats of the position throughout history.
I see your point. And yes, that is what I would do. I would dig deeper. But as you say - if there is one candidate that is superior in all metrics except height then be assured, I wouldn't stop it that player to be brought in. My position is based on the assumption that a perfect player is out there and we "only" have to find him.
On top of it, I can only repeat that my concerns aren't necessarily on a player basis - my concerns would be on a team basis. And given that many here see Martinez, Bruno and Mainoo (understandibly) as mainstays of the team, that will leave the height department dependent on the other midfielder and the CB who we have to bring in. I think that is a bit worrying because I think some "rules" still apply (obviously the extents change and have changed over time) and based on that, I'd add height to the search profile in this specific situation.

There was a massive furore about Martinez being short CB who teams would simply bomb out in the air when he came to the PL. The theory was tested a little by the first few sides, but was abandoned prettu sharpish given not only that he could hold his own, but also that it was a waste of possession that could have otherwise been better used. The same principle is seen in midfield and there's a reason tiny, little Makelele could come into a league much more aerially aggressive than the current iteration and eventually be left alone in terms of considered exploits in terms of aerial contests.
Tiny Makelele played with Terry, Cavalho and Ballack in a team, didn't he? And I would say the verdict on Martinez might be a little too soon. I mean, he hasn't played all the matches we had since he is here, nor are we at the level where team "would do everything" to get one over us. Also our defensive output is certainly not where we want it to be. Which obviously does not mean it is because height is the one missing piece.

But I agree to your overall point - Mertinez height might be not as much of a problem as many people thought. Especially when combined with the right partner. I would assume he wouldn't look too well next to Lindelof. Varane and Maguire are obvious very good in the air so that definitely helps.

I'd be more concerned with the unit being high up the pitch and ready to launch off a loose ball scramble than I would be about their collective height. Losing the aerial contests isn't important relative to winning the knockdowns and doing something with them, so what I would want to see is tonnes of aggression and desire to win the second ball, and then the quality to immediately do something with it, and I believe we'd have that in droves to the point teams simply stop eyeing that avenue up as an exploit.
I agree, which is another area we have to improve on. I called it intensity, aggressiveness and organisation but the way you described it is more precise.

(I intentionally left out a few paragraphs as I would have repeated myself)

Last edited:
What would you think Utd consider is a fair price for him with that supposed €120m release clause
It's actually €100m clause, so £85m. If our first bid is to be believed (£50m), I think there's a deal to be done.

I don't think we will spend what they want for him, although we should go all out. Hoping we can come up with something, maybe the money for Sancho and Greenwood could do it.

If we manage to offload Greenwood, Sancho and Casemiro - we can easily buy players for £200m +

But that's the big IF

The agent Bruno tweets are tiresome. Neves has a release clause and Benfica don't feck around, exhibit Darwin and Enzo.

The agent Bruno tweets are tiresome. Neves has a release clause and Benfica don't feck around, exhibit Darwin and Enzo.
Yep. Benfica were incredibly strong and forceful when we were after Enzo. They were absolutely adamant that it was release clause or no negotiating even after he told them he badly wanted to go.

Unless they are suddenly in a bad spot financially I don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same with their next gem João Neves.

Yep. Benfica were incredibly strong and forceful when we were after Enzo. They were absolutely adamant that it was release clause or no negotiating even after he told them he badly wanted to go.

Unless they are suddenly in a bad spot financially I don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same with their next gem João Neves.

The circumstances are obviously different, and it was an extremely hostile sale. Nuñez had a release clause too, but Benfica were far more flexible with how Liverpool structured that deal.

The circumstances are obviously different, and it was an extremely hostile sale. Nuñez had a release clause too, but Benfica were far more flexible with how Liverpool structured that deal.
Us trying to pry him away in the middle of their season definitely upped the hostility, you’re right. But I just don’t see why they would lower their demands in Neves’s case.

Status
Not open for further replies.