Joao Felix / on loan to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna lie I'll be a little excited if we bring this guy in, even on loan. Exciting player.

When you write such nonsense, do you think people will believe it?

Joao Felix literally never played as a lone CF, but apparently he's better than Martial playing with back to the goal, better physicality, finishing etc.

Nonsense? He did all of that just last season against... Guess who? Manchester United. Ok he wasn't a 'lone CF' as they were fluid in attack and him and Correa etc moved around a lot. But if you watched us play, you'd see that we're the same. Look at even our game 2 days ago and you'll see Rashford through the middle at times with Martial, Martial at LW etc.

So don't declare what I'm saying as nonsense unless you can engage your brain first and make sure you're correct. And I bet there have been countless times for Benefica or Atletico where Felix has played as a 'lone CF'. When he plays in a 2 with Griezmann, the latter often interchanges and plays deeper, similar to Bruno at times.

Last edited:
Nonsense? He did all of that just last season against... Guess who? Manchester United. Ok he wasn't a 'lone CF' as they were fluid in attack and him and Correa etc moved around a lot. But if you watched us play, you'd see that we're the same. Look at even or game 2 days ago and you'll see Rashford through the middle at times with Martial, Martial at LW etc.

So don't declare what I'm saying as nonsense unless you can engage your brain first and make sure you're correct. And I bet there have been countless times for Benefica or Atletico where Felix has played as a 'lone CF'. When he plays in a 2 with Griezmann, the latter often interchanges and plays deeper, similar to Bruno at times.
Additionally those who complain about Felix potentially signing for us, are also the ones who shit the bed when we play teams Felix plays for (Portugal/Atletico) because we know how dangerous he can be.

Makes no sense!

What? For striker position Martial beats Felix in basically ever trait.

I couldn’t disagree more. Martial’s issue is fitness and staying healthy. Beyond that he’s a very good forward.

Felix has failed miserably at Atletico despite being so technically gifted. Ultimately if you can’t apply those gifts it means little.

I disagree. Felix has much more aggression and can use his body and skills well to play with his back to goal. We saw this first hand against us in the CL. Their tactic was literally to defend deep, hit Felix and play off him on the counter. He did an amazing job against us, we couldn't deal with him. This is why I think he can be better than Martial. I think his play from deeper (if we used him as a false 9 a lot, which I think we would with our system and inverted wingers), make him much better than Martial. Anybody trying to make a case for Martial is playing themselves as this stage, the guy has been a let down for years.

Right now he's out of the team there for various reasons, but he's had some very good periods there. So to say he's 'failed miserably' is just laughable. Especially when you factor in the obvious issues with the Atletico system which doesn't favour a player like him.

The strongest memory I have of this guy is him scoring a header against us.

Additionally those who complain about Felix potentially signing for us, are also the ones who shit the bed when we play teams Felix plays for (Portugal/Atletico) because we know how dangerous he can be.

Makes no sense!

I would like Felix but just have concerns about not having a CF in the middle as well. I know it won't happen due to finances but we need both.

Makes no sense!

The Caf has been weird for years about Felix. I think it's because he was declared a donkey by many on here after playing in the Nation's League when he was about 19 or 20 and we were linked to him.

The Caf has been weird for years about Felix. I think it's because he was declared a donkey by many on here after playing in the Nation's League when he was about 19 or 20 and we were linked to him.

It's a duality.

The CAFs stages of signings:
1. If a player is linked, say how great they are when a Rival is linked: WHY are our board not interested? fecking dividends, fecking scouts, Murtough etc
2. United get linked moan about the money, like its your electricity bill. we always get fleeced, fecking United tax. We've overpaid! why didn't we sign him when he was at the U5 team when he was only £3.50
Player signs: ALWAYS RATED HIM, GET THE FECK IN, propose the line up that will win the league with every possible permutation listing reserves that might make it one day

Then when he plays:

1. if they have a bad game: ALWAYS overpay, fecking shite, not what we need
2. if they have a good game: OMG, first time since SAF left we have a player in [insert position] not had a player in [position] since [SAF signing]

Nonsense? He did all of that just last season against... Guess who? Manchester United. Ok he wasn't a 'lone CF' as they were fluid in attack and him and Correa etc moved around a lot. But if you watched us play, you'd see that we're the same. Look at even our game 2 days ago and you'll see Rashford through the middle at times with Martial, Martial at LW etc.

We would be signing a lot of strikers in January if the criteria is he did it against 21/22 Utd.

We've just spent more in a window than we ever have before, and our financial situation is precarious. When you also factor in that our owners are looking for a way out, it should not come as any surprise at all if we end up signing nobody. I'd recommend concentrating on the football
I wasn’t clamouring for a signature, more lamenting the fact that we never usually sign anybody in Jan but still have to put up with endless baseless links and rumours.

Martial struggled get into the France squad even when fit. Felix is always a starter for Portugal. I dont think we should look at that as a barometer - Bruno was planted in wider roles in the Euros if I am not mistaken.

Ultimately Felix club issues will cost him internationally but he's still a superb talent who, in the right system, would be immense.

Id want to see him in a false 9. Martial sort of plays there anyway but no chance he stays fully fit. Plus Felix is more talented.
I think that says more about the quality of France compared to Portugal.

The trouble is do we think in 6 months he’ll find himself in the right system to perform? Are we confident he can come in and not wilt under the pressure and more physically demanding environment?

I like Felix I think he’d be a decent short term loan with an option to buy to mitigate any risk but I just don’t buy that this current version of Felix would be better for us than Martial. As back up fine but replacement? I think is wishful thinking.

Of course there is a chance we could be the perfect environment for him. A pacey pair of wide men flanking with a compatriot to play off of might be just what he needs.

I disagree. Felix has much more aggression and can use his body and skills well to play with his back to goal. We saw this first hand against us in the CL. Their tactic was literally to defend deep, hit Felix and play off him on the counter. He did an amazing job against us, we couldn't deal with him. This is why I think he can be better than Martial. I think his play from deeper (if we used him as a false 9 a lot, which I think we would with our system and inverted wingers), make him much better than Martial. Anybody trying to make a case for Martial is playing themselves as this stage, the guy has been a let down for years.

Right now he's out of the team there for various reasons, but he's had some very good periods there. So to say he's 'failed miserably' is just laughable. Especially when you factor in the obvious issues with the Atletico system which doesn't favour a player like him.
I disagree I think if you look at Martial in this set up he’s been really good. ETH is also a big fan which for me speaks volumes too.

I also worry if you have Felix playing false 9 does he get in the way of Bruno?

Then I also think you have to question the judgment of the player and also the impact this will have had on his development.

It's a duality.

1. If a player is linked, say how great they are when a Rival is linked: WHY are our board not interested? fecking dividends, fecking scouts, Murtough etc
2. United get linked moan about the money, like its your electricity bill. we always get fleeced, fecking United tax. We've overpaid! why didn't we sign him when he was at the U5 team when he was only £3.50
Player signs: ALWAYS RATED HIM, GET THE FECK IN, propose the line up that will win the league with every possible permutation listing reserves that might make it one day

Then when he plays:

2. if they have a good game: OMG, first time since SAF left we have a player in [insert position] not had a player in [position] since [SAF signing]
:lol: So spot on its uncanny!

I believe that Felix has been on the radar of great young attacking talents for a few years; however, he has acquired a bit of a reputation for being very talented without actually delivering much. For example, since moving from Benfica to Athletica Madrid, he has scored about once every 4 games, with an assist once every 5 games. Transfermarket.us lists his primary playing position as a "secondary striker". I remember, in a recent comment during the World Cup, that Joao Felix said that he saw himself more as a #10 than a traditional striker.

I would not oppose signing Felix. I think that Martial is always one match away from another injury. VDB has shown that he is not an adequate back-up for Bruno, and Felix could provide some versatile depth. But, my preference for getting a striker in January remains Ivan Toney, gambling problems and all. The FA won't get around to a suspension until June, and he is cooperating so it will be a short suspension. And Toney doesn't need time to adapt to the Premier League.

Must have missed something, don’t they want like 16m for him for 6 months? not happening

I believe that Felix has been on the radar of great young attacking talents for a few years; however, he has acquired a bit of a reputation for being very talented without actually delivering much. For example, since moving from Benfica to Athletica Madrid, he has scored about once every 4 games, with an assist once every 5 games. Transfermarket.us lists his primary playing position as a "secondary striker". I remember, in a recent comment during the World Cup, that Joao Felix said that he saw himself more as a #10 than a traditional striker.

I would not oppose signing Felix. I think that Martial is always one match away from another injury. VDB has shown that he is not an adequate back-up for Bruno, and Felix could provide some versatile depth. But, my preference for getting a striker in January remains Ivan Toney, gambling problems and all. The FA won't get around to a suspension until June, and he is cooperating so it will be a short suspension. And Toney doesn't need time to adapt to the Premier League.

Brentford wouldn't let him go right now

Haven't seen this one yet

people who are saying he hasn’t delivered much for atletico madrid need to remember he’s playing under a very defensive manager. I think he has all the attributes to shine under a progressive and attacking manager. If we can strike a loan deal in January then that would be very good business. But we shouldn’t be bullied and pay 16m or whatever they want for 6 months.

people who are saying he hasn’t delivered much for atletico madrid need to remember he’s playing under a very defensive manager. I think he has all the attributes to shine under a progressive and attacking manager. If we can strike a loan deal in January then that would be very good business. But we shouldn’t be bullied and pay 16m or whatever they want for 6 months.
Which I get but then isn’t part of the trouble here that he’s not exactly been developed into a positional play system? He’s not had a few years of developing into the kind of player that we can necessarily drop straight into our set up when needed and get a solid performance out of.

Im of the opinion him on loan is probably the best deal we can get this window and there’s always that bit of hope with a player like Felix that we could be the team to make him tick, so I’m up for that.

It's a duality.

Then when he plays:

:lol:

Which I get but then isn’t part of the trouble here that he’s not exactly been developed into a positional play system? He’s not had a few years of developing into the kind of player that we can necessarily drop straight into our set up when needed and get a solid performance out of.

Im of the opinion him on loan is probably the best deal we can get this window and there’s always that bit of hope with a player like Felix that we could be the team to make him tick, so I’m up for that.

This is why I'm of the opinion that paying crazy money for a loan might not be a great idea. He probably needs rehabilitation before he's shining at any club, so I doubt he'd be an immediate impact for is.

Then again, nobody in our price range will be, so six of one..

What I am saying is that a short-term deal is probably not worth it for Joao Felix. I don't think he fits the profile of what United need over the next 6 months - someone that can contribute 10-15 goal contribution. However, I think a long-term signing might not be a bad idea. From everything that I've seen, Felix's best position is not at centre forward. He sees himself more as a creative player that can also score a few goals rather than as primarily a goal scorer.

My thinking as well. Everyone agrees we are short a goal scorer, possibly two actually.

Martial put in a solid performance against Forest, but questions remain as to whether he's the killer 9 we once thought he would become.
Ronaldo is gone.
Cavani is gone.
Greenwood is gone...or however one would want to put it.
Elanga isn't up to it.
Sancho is in a kind of limbo these days and in any event isn't a goal scorer.
Rashford is on the up, but it's hard to see him as a 9 for more than spot duty.
Antony isn't a goal scorer.

Top long-term targets aren't realistically available in January.

What's left to decide is whether Felix would be the difference between making and not making the CL next season. I think he may indeed be. We just can't count on Martial week in, week out. And even if we could, playing him twice a week every week through the end of the season would surely break him, given his injury record.

I don't mind the reported 8m fee plus his estimated 8m in wages, but the deal we should try to strike is the addition an option to buy clause at some predetermined fee, even if that fee is adjusted for performance metrics. If Felix blows the roof off and we make top four and win, say, the EL and FA Cups, who would object to keeping him on? If he flops, then he flops and goes back to AM or whoever would want him on the cheap.

It's a duality.

Then when he plays:

:lol:

My thinking as well. Everyone agrees we are short a goal scorer, possibly two actually.

Martial put in a solid performance against Forest, but questions remain as to whether he's the killer 9 we once thought he would become.
Ronaldo is gone.
Cavani is gone.
Greenwood is gone...or however one would want to put it.
Elanga isn't up to it.
Sancho is in a kind of limbo these days and in any event isn't a goal scorer.
Rashford is on the up, but it's hard to see him as a 9 for more than spot duty.
Antony isn't a goal scorer.

Top long-term targets aren't realistically available in January.

What's left to decide is whether Felix would be the difference between making and not making the CL next season. I think he may indeed be. We just can't count on Martial week in, week out. And even if we could, playing him twice a week every week through the end of the season would surely break him, given his injury record.

I don't mind the reported 8m fee plus his estimated 8m in wages, but the deal we should try to strike is the addition an option to buy clause at some predetermined fee, even if that fee is adjusted for performance metrics. If Felix blows the roof off and we make top four and win, say, the EL and FA Cups, who would object to keeping him on? If he flops, then he flops and goes back to AM or whoever would want him on the cheap.
agree with everything you’ve just said. I think he could well be the difference in making top 4. It’s all about squad depth and replacing quality with quality and rotating. If we rotate the current players in the starting 11 then the quality drops massively. Our bench against forest was awful. We have garnacho that can come on and make things happen but after that who do we go to? We’re relying on the current starting players. I think Felix will not only add quality to our team but he may well improve the other players performances. Antony and martial are quite comfortable at the minute because who’s gonna come in and take there places? The minute you have a player who can replace them it’s mad how much they improve. It’s all about healthy competition and keeping players up to standards.

His problem is not the skill: it's his health. It's difficult to show how good you are if you are spend more time on the phyisio room than training or playing.

What I am saying is that a short-term deal is probably not worth it for Joao Felix. I don't think he fits the profile of what United need over the next 6 months - someone that can contribute 10-15 goal contribution. However, I think a long-term signing might not be a bad idea. From everything that I've seen, Felix's best position is not at centre forward. He sees himself more as a creative player that can also score a few goals rather than as primarily a goal scorer.
he can play as part of a fluid front 3 that rotates. He may well even bring the best out of Antony as he’s got no real competition in his place. The minute someone comes in who can take your place they then start performing better. We do need more creativity out wide. If we can get a loan deal with a view to permanently signing him if he does well then that would be great.

Will keep saying even with him I would still like Depay too because he can play CF

he can play as part of a fluid front 3 that rotates. He may well even bring the best out of Antony as he’s got no real competition in his place. The minute someone comes in who can take your place they then start performing better. We do need more creativity out wide. If we can get a loan deal with a view to permanently signing him if he does well then that would be great.
If he plays to his full potential, he will keep Antony on the bench.

Starting today which tells you he isn't close to any transfer right now.

Will keep saying even with him I would still like Depay too because he can play CF
The problem is I'm not sure we have the money or willing to spend the money for 1 let alone both.

I'd like Felix or both myself, I think Felix could be a revelation but I sincerely think we'll signed no one

What’s the reason for them letting him go anyway? They play him regular

Status
Not open for further replies.