Joao Felix / on loan to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure about Depay as CF… what’s his goal scoring record like? I know him as like an inside forward playing from the left. We need a prolific goalscorer to play up top who’ll get on the end of everything.

No one prolific available in January

Imo Felix is a very good player. However we don't really need him. His preferred position is somewhat similar to Bruno. Second striker or a #10 or whatever you call that. His second best position is LW where we already have Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho. He can't play as an out and out striker due to his limited physique. Tactically it'd be pretty difficult to fit him in. Plus he'd be here for only 6 months on a huge fee and wages.

With the supposed limited fun available imo we should go for a cheap tall strong #9. That would provide us a backup for Martial and also more options to our front which atm has basically zero aerial threat. Makes a lot more sense imo.

Is there no young 20yo striker playing in South America with good potential that we couldn't get for about 20mil?
I understand the work permit restrictions but surely there must be a good talent there somewhere before some club in Portugal or Spain get him first and increase his price tenfold.

Unsure about Depay as CF… what’s his goal scoring record like? I know him as like an inside forward playing from the left. We need a prolific goalscorer to play up top who’ll get on the end of everything.
Memphis was only an inside forward at PSV and then when he signed for United... since then, he's developed in a CF, one with good hold up and link up play. Similar to Martial in a lot of ways. Would be a good rotation with him, but not better.

Goalscoring wise, Memphis is just 7 goals off RvP as Netherlands' all time top scorer.

Imo Felix is a very good player. However we don't really need him. His preferred position is somewhat similar to Bruno. Second striker or a #10 or whatever you call that. His second best position is LW where we already have Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho. He can't play as an out and out striker due to his limited physique. Tactically it'd be pretty difficult to fit him in. Plus he'd be here for only 6 months on a huge fee and wages.

With the supposed limited fun available imo we should go for a cheap tall strong #9. That would provide us a backup for Martial and also more options to our front which atm has basically zero aerial threat. Makes a lot more sense imo.

Morata carries an aerial threat

Memphis was only an inside forward at PSV and then when he signed for United... since then, he's developed in a CF, one with good hold up and link up play. Similar to Martial in a lot of ways. Would be a good rotation with him, but not better.

Goalscoring wise, Memphis is just 7 goals off RvP as Netherlands' all time top scorer.

Know many on here will turn their nose up at Depay/Morata but end of the day we just need someone to rotate with Tony

Not really smart arse. Q1 of 2023 is April, May and June in finance.

Anyway, I’ll be happy if it’s in time for summer window.

Its Q1 of the year. You would say fiscal year if it was related to finance, its not.

They would explicitly state that.

Would anyone here take Felix as a false 9 if it was permanent? e.g loan with obligation to buy

Ten Haag tried to buy Felix in the summer windows, so he surly has to see some kind of plan where he fits Felix into our team?

The guy has just (November) turned 23 and at Benfica was a top attacking prospect. It’s fairly obvious he made the wrong move going to Atletico. I’m sure a coach like ETH who really believes in improving players would look at someone like him and think there’s plenty there to make a top player.
We shouldn’t write him off in any position at this stage until he proves with our manager and our players that he can’t play there. That’s what the loan is for surely.

My only worry is he’ll probably have to play and I’m a Martial fan (at his best) and think what Tony brings to our squad currently is quite unique. Wouldn’t want his play time to be limited unless the feeling is he definitely can’t hack it.

Ten Haag tried to buy Felix in the summer windows, so he surly has to see some kind of plan where he fits Felix into our team?
Rashford would be used more as a CF.

We really don't need him, unless he wants to take over VDB's bench position. We have more than enough wingers, we need either a striker or back up for Bruno - and for that, he's too expensive

Would anyone here take Felix as a false 9 if it was permanent? e.g loan with obligation to buy
He is a talented lad and I would take him if the price was right....but that is nowhere near what Atletico are asking.

If we finish in EL, 16m would look silly. And it will be even harder to get CL places next season. Arsenal will be there, and if Newcastle qualify they will go on massive splurge.
It is big 7 from next season.

I don't see either of them going for him to be honest. Arsenal will spend their money on Mudryk and Chelsea seem to be the ones going for Fernandez.

Dont be surprised if we get Mudyrk and make a serious offer for Felix. We are probably going to budget for CL football next season and Arteta isnt joking around.

Although I think we will not go for Felix for football reasons. Arteta is going to back Nketiah & as he proved against West Ham he does have qualities. Nketiah is a good player

The only way we chase Felix is if Shakhter really take the piss with the fee they expect for Mudryk

The guy has just (November) turned 23 and at Benfica was a top attacking prospect. It’s fairly obvious he made the wrong move going to Atletico. I’m sure a coach like ETH who really believes in improving players would look at someone like him and think there’s plenty there to make a top player.
We shouldn’t write him off in any position at this stage until he proves with our manager and our players that he can’t play there. That’s what the loan is for surely.

My only worry is he’ll probably have to play and I’m a Martial fan (at his best) and think what Tony brings to our squad currently is quite unique. Wouldn’t want his play time to be limited unless the feeling is he definitely can’t hack it.

Felix has everything Martial does and more, in my opinion. He's a better player than Martial.

Felix has everything Martial does and more, in my opinion. He's a better player than Martial.
Agreed, although with the caveat that he's never really played as an orthodox 9 and we don't know how he'd scale up to the premier league. In terms of sheer talent, Felix is world class potential. The guy is pure silk on the ball.

Unfortunately Martial himself is the main reason for his limited playing time. Unless they were rotated and Martial played a game a week, that might be a way forward to help him manage his body and reduce the injuries.

I’m with you when it comes to Martial bringing qualities to the team though, it’s such a shame that there have been more lows than highs during his time here.

Felix has everything Martial does and more
When you write such nonsense, do you think people will believe it?

Joao Felix literally never played as a lone CF, but apparently he's better than Martial playing with back to the goal, better physicality, finishing etc.

Know many on here will turn their nose up at Depay/Morata but end of the day we just need someone to rotate with Tony
I actually liked the look of morata in the WC and think he’s the type of striker we need. However don’t think he’ll come cheap or be available in January:

I couldn’t disagree more. Martial’s issue is fitness and staying healthy. Beyond that he’s a very good forward.

Felix has failed miserably at Atletico despite being so technically gifted. Ultimately if you can’t apply those gifts it means little.

I couldn’t disagree more. Martial’s issue is fitness and staying healthy. Beyond that he’s a very good forward.

Felix has failed miserably at Atletico despite being so technically gifted. Ultimately if you can’t apply those gifts it means little.
Felix plays for a team that doesn't suit his style whatsoever. It's not like Martial was setting la liga alight on his loan stint either. If I'm not mistaken the manager was unimpressed by him.

I get what you mean and I partly agree, but at the same time, with Sancho out, our top 3 up front are Rash-Martial-Antony and our back-up forward line is Garnacho-McNeil-Elanga. We are playing mid-week/weekend for more or less the coming 5 months without a break. Rotating players will be a must. We are thin across the line up front. The counter argument is of course that if Martial and Rashford rests in the the same game, we still don't have anyone suited for the No 9 position, and that is of course valid. But in reality I think it still could work. Lets say we really rest everyone in one game, Garnacho-Felix(F-9)-Elanga with Fred-McT-Donny is better than the same 6 but with McNeill at striker...

Felix over Martial all day!

Not in the position he'd play in he's not. Felix wouldn't link our forward line and hold up the ball anywhere near as good as Martial does.

If we didn't have Bruno then Felix would be great. He's just not a number 9.

In the Felix v Martial theoretical debate - availability is the best ability. In theory Martial is a better number 9, but Felix has scored more goals than him over the last 3 or 4 years despite flopping in a defensive team.

Anyway the point is it wouldn't be either/or, it would be both. There are enough games to go round and we're probably not far off another Martial injury.

Felix plays for a team that doesn't suit his style whatsoever. It's not like Martial was setting la liga alight on his loan stint either. If I'm not mistaken the manager was unimpressed by him.
It’s not as if he’s lit up elsewhere though. For Portugal Fernandes is comfortably the better player and it took Gonçalo Ramos to offer something as a central option.

We know Martial can link and operate at a high level for this ETH side I think it’s a bit silly to look at a failed loan of his when we can see the actual ability and function he fulfils currently.

Where would you play Felix?

I do like Felix for what it’s worth but I don’t see him currently as better than Martial.

Edit: And I don’t think he has to be to be worth a loan at least.

It’s not as if he’s lit up elsewhere though. For Portugal Fernandes is comfortably the better player and it took Gonçalo Ramos to offer something as a central option.

We know Martial can link and operate at a high level for this ETH side I think it’s a bit silly to look at a failed loan of his when we can see the actual ability and function he fulfils currently.

Where would you play Felix?
Martial struggled get into the France squad even when fit. Felix is always a starter for Portugal. I dont think we should look at that as a barometer - Bruno was planted in wider roles in the Euros if I am not mistaken.

Ultimately Felix club issues will cost him internationally but he's still a superb talent who, in the right system, would be immense.

Id want to see him in a false 9. Martial sort of plays there anyway but no chance he stays fully fit. Plus Felix is more talented.

Not in the position he'd play in he's not. Felix wouldn't link our forward line and hold up the ball anywhere near as good as Martial does.

If we didn't have Bruno then Felix would be great. He's just not a number 9.

Martial's heat map over the past 2 games looks almost identical to a typical Felix heat map!

He has the ability to play upfront on a high level and that is why we are interested. Also, his heading ability, hold up play and physicality are all underrated as he grew into his body since coming to Atletico. Being able to play all across the frontline (LW, AM, RW) is just a bonus.

If you like how Martial plays upfront (because he definitely doesn't play as a traditional number 9, popping constantly in deeper areas), you would love what Felix has to offer in the same position imo.

Martial struggled get into the France squad even when fit. Felix is always a starter for Portugal. I dont think we should look at that as a barometer - Bruno was planted in wider roles in the Euros if I am not mistaken.

Ultimately Felix club issues will cost him internationally but he's still a superb talent who, in the right system, would be immense.

Id want to see him in a false 9. Martial sort of plays there anyway but no chance he stays fully fit. Plus Felix is more talented.
Surely on current form he would replace Giroud?

Surely on current form he would replace Giroud?

Why? Giroud is in good form, played well at the WC and Deschamps likes him

I do like Felix for what it’s worth but I don’t see him currently as better than Martial.

Edit: And I don’t think he has to be to be worth a loan at least.

Have to remember that the alternative is not having anyone to supplement what we have though. I think it's worth a loan just so we have someone else we can play, then you factor in the talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.