5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Valencia can't catch a breath nowadays, even when we got a chance to rest vs Swansea we couldn't due to Shaw injury. Hell get tired as any human sooner or later, thus needs some support at this point of the season against a team attacking from flanks.
Listen mate i agree with some of the things you have said including this post.

But i don't agree with the idea that only Lingard from our squad can track back and can provide defensive cover. Yes he works hard but and does well enough to cover his fullback but so does pretty much every other player we play in wide areas.

el3mel

Listen mate i agree with some of the things you have said including this post.

But i don't agree with the idea that only Lingard from our squad can track back and can provide defensive cover. Yes he works hard but and does well enough to cover his fullback but so does pretty much every other player we play in wide areas.
It's a matter of opinions then I think.

I have criticized Lingard many times before but recent months I'm starting to get some soft spot for him and see he can useful sometimes. He won't definitely be a starter here and our aim should be better players but as a backup used in certain games he isn't bad. In other games he's useless.

He has limits and I'm sure he and Jose both know it.

SATA

Nobody liked him protecting Rashford away from the Celta cnuts who were trying to chase him off the pitch? That was great to see aside from his ridiculously horrible finishing

Web of Bissaka

What this thread needs is Lingard scoring another important goals :drool: next game is against Arsenal.

But seriously, he is that limited, and everyone even Mourinho knows this.

Still a useful player to have tactically, even if in many moments he's disappointing.

Robbie Boy

He basically plays the kind of role that Kuyt played for Liverpool. I have absolutely no issue with players playing this kind of role, the only problem is that the likes of Kuyt and Will-I-Am actually chip in with the goals and assists as well as all the hard work.

As I've said a million times, in games like against Chelsea, he can serve a purpose - I'm not saying I entirely agree all the time with the role he gets picked for - but against teams when he's expected to score and create, he comes up short far too often.

JoaquinJoaquin

He basically plays the kind of role that Kuyt played for Liverpool. I have absolutely no issue with players playing this kind of role, the only problem is that the likes of Kuyt and Will-I-Am actually chip in with the goals and assists as well as all the hard work.

As I've said a million times, in games like against Chelsea, he can serve a purpose - I'm not saying I entirely agree all the time with the role he gets picked for - but against teams when he's expected to score and create, he comes up short far too often.
Totally agree and I was actually pressing for him to start against City, a game that would of suited having him in it. Starting every game since though is terrible. Mata has to be back in the team for the return leg. Lingard can play on Sunday if Jose is playing a squad like first 11 as that's what his role should be.

Not going to lie though, really can't wait until we have someone quality playing in his position next season (well if Jose does in fact sign a RW. If he doesn't and persists with this guy it's his own funeral).

Zlatattack

Reminded me of Welbeck in the last game. Lots of hard work and running, no end product.

stevoc

It's a matter of opinions then I think.

I have criticized Lingard many times before but recent months I'm starting to get some soft spot for him and see he can useful sometimes. He won't definitely be a starter here and our aim should be better players but as a backup used in certain games he isn't bad. In other games he's useless.

He has limits and I'm sure he and Jose both know it.
Fair enough mate. Our opinions on Lingard aren't that far apart.

Fracture90

Think he was quite poor yesterday, that chance he had should have been a goal, he was way too casual. One thing I've noticed tho is that he always backs down from a challenge when there's 50-50 chance or higher.

Mr.Plow

What a double whammy Mata's injury was, not only did we lose the great man but it also meant we've had to endure weeks of Lingard.

Hopefully Juan will start against Arsenal and claim his place back.

JoaquinJoaquin

And both players brought about the exact same debate on here. The Lingard threads are what the Welbeck threads used to be.
To be fair to Welbeck, At least he had a great game against Real Madrid. Cannot imagine the day Jesse Lingard ever does the same.

Ole90+3

Given that they are much better players.

Lingard is pretty much obsolete when trying to break down a decent defence. His only use is when trying to hold on to a lead or playing on the counter. Even last night, the game was pretty open and Lingard didn't attempt to create anything on his own. He needs the more creative players around him which, in my opinion, for a United attacker isn't acceptable, even for a squad player.

I think Lingard could be useful if we played an attacking style where players stayed close to eachother; playing in triangles if you will. But Mourinho will never play that way, he likes to stretch the field and utilize the width. This requires fast and technically gifted players in attacking positions to capitalize the gaps left in midfield and the opposition's defence. Lingard's technical ability is mid-table stuff. I'm not even sure he would start for Stoke.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Totally agree and I was actually pressing for him to start against City, a game that would of suited having him in it. Starting every game since though is terrible. Mata has to be back in the team for the return leg. Lingard can play on Sunday if Jose is playing a squad like first 11 as that's what his role should be.

Not going to lie though, really can't wait until we have someone quality playing in his position next season (well if Jose does in fact sign a RW. If he doesn't and persists with this guy it's his own funeral).
Could you Imagine if we had a prime Robben in this team or somebody of that ilk. It would make such a difference and we would genuinely beat teams 2/3 goals every game.

Lingard reminds me of a FIFA player with no shoot button :lol:

Z_Wolf

Can't believe people keep saying Lingard is average. He is not world class but he is very important to the squad. He is the closest we have to a player like Park. Runs throughout the game and gives his 100% and scores important goals. He is also much more consistent and reliable than most of the young players we have in the squad.

shaky

He's really going to struggle for games next season if we make the expected attacking signings in the summer. Handy squad player to have but that's all he was ever going to be.

JoaquinJoaquin

Could you Imagine if we had a prime Robben in this team or somebody of that ilk. It would make such a difference and we would genuinely beat teams 2/3 goals every game.

Lingard reminds me of a FIFA player with no shoot button :lol:
Totally agree. A quality player would of made a huge difference this season as these draws against fodder in the league would of been turned into victories.

JoaquinJoaquin

Can't believe people keep saying Lingard is average. He is not world class but he is very important to the squad. He is the closest we have to a player like Park. Runs throughout the game and gives his 100% and scores important goals. He is also much more consistent and reliable than most of the young players we have in the squad.
How can you even make this statement when Lingard is probably the most inconsistent player we have in our squad? Honestly, some of this defensiveness towards Lingard you would think he was Ronaldo. Nani got absolute dogs abuse on here, and I would rather have him every day of the week in the squad then this average guy.

RAVred

Mourinho went absolutely ballistic when Lingard missed his last chance of the game, he wasnt subbed off, but I doubt Mourinho trusts him in the final or any game where he wants us to put away our chances.

Would still expect him to start next leg perhaps, mainly because he may just want to defend and Lingard applies some pressure at least (more than Martial for instance and Rooney), but I think hes had it with the fluffed chances at this point.

Robbie Boy

Given that they are much better players.

Lingard is pretty much obsolete when trying to break down a decent defence. His only use is when trying to hold on to a lead or playing on the counter. Even last night, the game was pretty open and Lingard didn't attempt to create anything on his own. He needs the more creative players around him which, in my opinion, for a United attacker isn't acceptable, even for a squad player.

I think Lingard could be useful if we played an attacking style where players stayed close to eachother; playing in triangles if you will. But Mourinho will never play that way, he likes to stretch the field and utilize the width. This requires fast and technically gifted players in attacking positions to capitalize the gaps left in midfield and the opposition's defence. Lingard's technical ability is mid-table stuff. I'm not even sure he would start for Stoke.
Yup, they are both far superior players and that is the level of player we should have playing that role. Neither are close to being world class but they are effective at what they do and they actually get the goals and assists to match their work rate. Clearly Lingard is that style of player but the problem is that his finishing is horrendous for a player playing as an attacking outlet. He also doesn't create nearly enough and is often extremely poor when in possession.

For tactical games like against Chelsea he's fine. He's there to press their defence and be a nuisance and that's grand for those sort of games as we have had Park playing those kind of roles in the past. The problems occur in games like against Swansea at the weekend and against Celta last night; when he's given time and space to attack, he's generally poor with his use of the ball and for all the good positions he may get himself in to, his finishing let's him down all too often.

As I've previously stated, all this movement and apparent footballing intelligence is great and all but it should merely be a part of his game and not his whole game. Right now, he's basically living off the fact that he gets himself into some good positions and presses defences; that's not really enough to warrant playing an attacking role for us.

Last edited:

stevoc

Think he was quite poor yesterday, that chance he had should have been a goal, he was way too casual. One thing I've noticed tho is that he always backs down from a challenge when there's 50-50 chance or higher.
Yeah he's very reluctant to get stuck in most times. He's a small skinny lad fair enough but it doesn't stop others.

Z_Wolf

How can you even make this statement when Lingard is probably the most inconsistent player we have in our squad? Honestly, some of this defensiveness towards Lingard you would think he was Ronaldo. Nani got absolute dogs abuse on here, and I would rather have him every day of the week in the squad then this average guy.
He isn't the most talented but atleast we know what we are going to get from him, a solid 6/10 performance. I think he comes in handy when you need a hard working, tactically aware player especially in the big games.

JoaquinJoaquin

He isn't the most talented but atleast we know what we are going to get from him, a solid 6/10 performance. I think he comes in handy when you need a hard working, tactically aware player.
So basically, You are accepting mediocrity because he works hard? Alan Smith used to run around alot, and he wasn't considered good enough here so what is the difference?

Robbie Boy

He isn't the most talented but atleast we know what we are going to get from him, a solid 6/10 performance. I think he comes in handy when you need a hard working, tactically aware player especially in the big games.
That's fine when he's playing the 'Park' role and I don't think may people dispute that. The problem is that he lacks the talent to be a creative outlet and against the lesser teams his 'skills' become completely redundant.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Defend him more guys please, ffs 100k a week for a guy who doesn't know how to finish easy chances. I am not surprised we have so many average players, the coaching staff think average players like Lingard should be starting while we have players like Martial and Mata on the bench. If an average player deserves 100k a week, Zlatan and Pogba deserve 400k a week. New signings will ask crazy wages now.

SirScholes

I've rarely seen a 6/10 more a 4/10

Robbie Boy

Again I'll ask this and I'm being genuinely curious here: All this talk of Lingard being such a hard worker is fine but are there stats to back this up or is it just a trodden cliché at this stage? I don't notice him working harder than most others, to be completely honest. Is he covering more distance per game? What are his tackling stats like compared to others? I would like to see him up against others in those departments to see if it's true that he's some sort of workhorse Trojan. With Park it was very evident but I don't see it with Lingard. He works hard alright but anymore than others?

drdoityourself

I see the Park comparisons are popping up again. Fair enough, but can this current team include a member of the front three, who's there as a tactical pawn or even a defensive selection? No, Park was covering for the likes of Ronaldo, prime Rooney and Tevez. This attacking unit is light years behind, in form and cohesion. We need a more threatening attack, Valencia frankly is in such form that he doesn't need a more defensive contribution you'd get from any other player.
He shouldn't be getting so many starts, even with the injuries, he just doesn't create enough for a team that's struggling in that department.His frequently talked about pace never takes him past players, and he'll pick the easiest pass option nine times out of nine it seems. Hopefully the return of Mata will see him drop to the bench.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
No, he is not more reliable than the younger players. This was an important match and he didn't score. He had 3 chances, 3!, yesterday. Martial or Rashford would have buried at least one or two of those chances. If Manchester United have serious ambitions to get back to the top, players like these should be nowhere near the team. Lingard is not a young player, he is 24 ffs and has played more than 100 matches in his career, you can't compare him to our younger players.

stevoc

Park was a much, much better player than Lingard is. He worked hard yes but he was also a bloody good player who contributed to the attack and didn't look out of place playing with Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes and Giggs.

I also find Lingard to be wildly inconsistent, good one game followed by an average game, then 2-3 stinkers in a row, average game..so on and so on.

Robbie Boy

Park was a much, much better player than Lingard is. He worked hard yes but he was also a bloody good player who contributed to the attack and didn't look out of place playing with Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes and Giggs.

I also find Lingard to be wildly inconsistent, good one game followed by an average game, then 2-3 stinkers in a row, average game..so on and so on.
Park was indeed a far better player. His work rate, passing, ability on the ball and technical ability were all far superior to Lingards.

Z_Wolf

I think he gets undeserved stick sometimes. He isn't some mega signing we bought to bang in a goal or two every game. He's just a local lad happy to play a squad role and contribute to the team.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Only reason he's at this club is that he's mates with Pogba and Rashford. I think Jose wants to keep him around because he makes the other two feel more comfortable and he's a good guy to have around the squad. I can see the logic in that.

However I really hope he barely plays next year and is relegated to bit part player again. I was a fan of Jesse. but it is becoming apparent he's very average and stealing a living at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.