5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I dont think Lingard is anywhere near championship level if that's what you mean

Although I can't say if his foreseeable future will be at Utd even with his new contract. Next season if he finds himself out of the team he could well move in in a year or so. But it won't be down a division
Yes you're probably right, I don't think he would have got in the Newcastle team this season.

stevoc

Let's be honest, would Lingard look out of place at a mid table club? I like him, but he's not a talent by any means. We could do a hell of a lot better, even at squad player quality. It's half the problem with this squad actually, a complete lack of quality past the obvious key/star players. We've accepted a lot of dross such as Fellaini, Young, Jones and Darmian and given them a pass because of their lesser roles. Compare them to squad players in the past, when we were winning titles and CL's and it's quite easy to understand we're where we are.
I think it's a problem alright, especially in the league. I don't think several of our current players are good enough even as squad players.

SirMattBugsby

Tearing my hair out when the ball fell for him to break in the last few minutes in a 2 v 2 with Martial and decides to run the ball into a corner. Just imagine that ball falling to Bale/Robben/Neymar they would turn that 2v2 break into a big chance not run it into the corner and waste time. If we want to get to that top level of clubs then there is absolutely no way this guy can be in the starting 11.
Don't think that was all him. Could have been Mourinho's instructions.

Comparing him with Bale, Neymar etc is not fair. He's never tried to be a goal-scorer. He will always do the dirty legwork, make the right runs and passes and leave the scoring to scorers.

Agree that his level is average though.

el3mel

His work ethic and movement are needed in some games. He's very good in defensive aspects and can be very good at exerting high pressure on the defense if we're in big games. Comparing him to Welbeck is the best description for him : the same work ethic and same lame finishing, however Welbeck was favored by SAF and Jose said he would have favored him as well.

He's not a regular starter and a squad player at best but he still has his uses in many games. I'm happy with him as a back-up option. He just needs to work on his finishing really , really in the training and he'll be more useful.

I'm still standing that away from his misses he supported Valencia very well and without him the right flank would have been exposed. Mata, Mikhi and Martial wouldn't have done the same defensive roles he did imo.

Philadelphian

I'm still standing that away from his misses he supported Valencia very well and without him the right flank would have been exposed. Mata, Mikhi and Martial wouldn't have done the same defensive roles he did imo.
We were playing Celta Vigo, who were there to be ripped apart, and it's still with the "but he supports the defense well" argument. Just say he offered nothing for us today.

pseudo_canadian

If Manchester United wants to get back to being one of the top clubs in Europe then we need better players than Jesse Lingard in our starting eleven. He is an OK option off of the bench.

End of, it's not even debatable.

el3mel

We were playing Celta Vigo, who were there to be ripped apart, and it's still with the "but he supports the defense well" argument. Just say he offered nothing for us today.
Underestimating your opponent is the perfect way for failure.

SirMattBugsby

His work ethic and movement are needed in some games. He's very good in defensive aspects and can be very good at exerting high pressure on the defense if we're in big games. Comparing him to Welbeck is the best description for him : the same work ethic and same lame finishing, however Welbeck was favored by SAF and Jose said he would have favored him as well.

He's not a regular starter and a squad player at best but he still has his uses in many games. I'm happy with him as a back-up option. He just needs to work on his finishing really , really in the training and he'll be more useful.

Agree. Useful guy in away games at the moment. Long-term, he'd be a squad player and offer cover for Mkhi/new signing on the right wing. Definitely don't want him gone.

At home though, Martial starts ahead of him.

Obiorahking_

He should not have started the game. I don't get these claims about selling him though.

Sylar

Thought he had a decent game, except the finishing. Unfortunately his finishing is still poor and hes not clinical enough. The chance which Rashford put him through seemed like it should have been the easiest one. The volley I actually think if he hits the target it hits the defender (need to see it again though). The slide im not even sure if it was a case of him sliding and missing it completely or just not reaching it?

I think were all frustrating at the finishing for United this season, but hes not the only one guilty of it.

stevoc

Did you watch Martial in the derby last week?

He worked his balls off to protect Darmian on our left side.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

He's not started only two of our last dozen matches
Either you were watching a different match but what defensive role did he do, love to see a video of all his tackles

el3mel

He's not started only two of our last dozen matches
Either you were watching a different match but what defensive role did he do, love to see a video of all his tackles
He's starting now because of the multiple injuries we have, simple. Same for Fellaini, too.

He was always supporting Valencia when the attack goes on his side and tracking back. Without him Valencia could have easily been double teamed by Celta's flank players and since Valencia didn't get any rest the flank would have been exposed if the wing wasn't tracking back to support him. Absence of any decent attacks from that flank during the match proves so.

His atrocious finishing just makes it easy to forget anything beside it.

SirScholes

He's starting now because of the multiple injuries we have, simple. Same for Fellaini, too.

He was always supporting Valencia when the attack goes on his side and tracking back. Without him Valencia could have easily been double teamed by Celta's flank players and since Valencia didn't get any rest the flank would have been exposed if the wing wasn't tracking back to support him. Absence of any decent attacks from that flank during the match proves so.

He does no more than is expected defensively and because of that it does not justify his totally lack of cutting edge, he's just shit

ManUtd1999

Good thing: he can get into good scoring positions, and you hope that he will improve his finishing.

I hope that he will stay here next season.

el3mel

He does no more than is expected defensively and because of that it does not justify his totally lack of cutting edge, he's just shit
It's expected from him yes but simply no other wing in our team will do this job as him imo.

No one's saying he's a great player. He's a squad player at best but he got his uses in some games.

Nanotron

Quite frustrating to watch, up there with Fellaini. Reminds me of the times watching Cleverly. Same shite was spouted out then, decent squad player. Playing far too much for decent squad players even if that were true

SirMattBugsby

Agree with you. Don't know why people have to downplay the good aspects of a player's game just to emphasize his weaknesses. Yes, we know his finishing sucks, but his workrate doesn't. That's why Mourinho plays him often in away games.

el3mel

Agree with you. Don't know why people have to downplay the good aspects of a player's game just to emphasize his weaknesses. Yes, we know his finishing sucks, but his workrate doesn't. That's why Mourinho plays him often in away games.
Yeah Jose's using him the same way SAF used Welbeck as I said. These kind of players can be very frustrating for the fans to see what not for the managers.

SirScholes

It's expected from him yes but simply no other wing in our team will do this job as him imo.

No one's saying he's a great player. He's a squad player at best but he got his uses in some games.
He really doesn't tho, any average player can track back, it's not like he bullies players to win the ball back he just runs back.
We can't expect to win league titles finish top 4 with dross like him stinking up our attack which is his main job

Jonno

He really doesn't tho, any average player can track back, it's not like he bullies players to win the ball back he just runs back.
We can't expect to win league titles finish top 4 with dross like him stinking up our attack which is his main job
He's simply being deployed in our current tactics. I don't think anybody expects him to be a definite starter next season, it's just for the past 2-3 seasons we've had zero pace in our attacking third. Rooney, Zlatan, Mata, Van Persie, Fellaini its all very slow.

Lingard is an intelligent player who takes very little glory himself but instead drags players around the pitch because of his pace and acceleration, which frees up Rashford, which frees up holes for Pogba to run in to. Lingards performances on the pitch are very underrated because he doesn't score much, doesn't do anything particularly eye catching enough, but he gives Mourinho a solid 6 out of 10 in a role that he needs performing this season.

Next season we will have some new, better players and as a result Jose will formulate a slightly different tactic, but right now Jesse plays his part in our attack, and our attack is creating chances.

stevoc

The team was all defending in the second half this match.
And so what?

He was tracking back and defending well in the first half also. So you can't say Martial couldn't have defended exactly as Lingard did tonight.

Lingard isn't doing anything defensively that other players in the squad can't replicate.

el3mel

I think I make it clear that he's the only wing we have on the right who can do it, Mata and Mikhi won't do the defensive side as efficient as him, hence he got his uses in such games, in other games when you need to go attacking Mata and Mikhi or Martial are better than him, as they both tend to leave Valencia alone tomtake the right flank all on and forth.

He's a good squad player for some games when you need his movement but definitely not regular starter. No one is saying he's great, mate, but he's a good squad option and I'm sure SAF would have kept him if he was the manager.

el3mel

And so what?

He was tracking back and defending well in the first half also. So you can't say Martial couldn't have defended exactly as Lingard did tonight.

Lingard isn't doing anything defensively that other players in the squad can't replicate.
Martial did a good job but we were all setting back it's not like we were attacking to need the wing to back track when losing the ball. The setup was different against City than today.

From the current squad he's the most useful one regarding these roles on the right flank IMO.

Can other players do this job and even better ? Yes. But from the current squad ? Don't think so.

SirScholes

I think I make it clear that he's the only wing we have on the right who can do it, Mata and Mikhi won't do the defensive side as efficient as him, hence he got his uses in such games, in other games when you need to go attacking Mata and Mikhi or Martial are better than him, as they both tend to leave Valencia alone tomtake the right flank all on and forth.

He's a good squad player for some games when you need his movement but definitely not regular starter. No one is saying he's great, mate, but he's a good squad option and I'm sure SAF would have kept him if he was the manager.
I'm not criticising Jose for selecting him as like you said there is almost no one else.

That doesn't change that he is still a poor footballer and one we can't carry, saf may of, but then would of sold him

SirScholes

He's simply being deployed in our current tactics. I don't think anybody expects him to be a definite starter next season, it's just for the past 2-3 seasons we've had zero pace in our attacking third. Rooney, Zlatan, Mata, Van Persie, Fellaini its all very slow.

Lingard is an intelligent player who takes very little glory himself but instead drags players around the pitch because of his pace and acceleration, which frees up Rashford, which frees up holes for Pogba to run in to. Lingards performances on the pitch are very underrated because he doesn't score much, doesn't do anything particularly eye catching enough, but he gives Mourinho a solid 6 out of 10 in a role that he needs performing this season.

Next season we will have some new, better players and as a result Jose will formulate a slightly different tactic, but right now Jesse plays his part in our attack, and our attack is creating chances.
He plays no role and wastes chance after chance

stevoc

Martial did a good job but we were all setting back it's not like we were attacking to need the wing to back track when losing the ball. The setup was different against City than today.

From the current squad he's the most useful one regarding these roles on the right flank IMO.

Can other players do this job and even better ?
Yes. But from the current squad ? Don't think so.
Yes and yes. If Mata was fit he would be playing ahead of him, Young can replicate what he gives us no problem but he's being used primarily as cover for the fullbacks.

Martial for me has always showed he's willing to tack back and help out defensively, even last season. No idea where this idea comes from that he doesn't.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
They make some pretty good videos.
Yeah I have seen them linked a lot on Reddit but most of them seem extremely basic. You get a lot more detailed analysis in posts on this forum

I haven't really seen any that I would say are good...any links?

el3mel

I'm not criticising Jose for selecting him as like you said there is almost no one else.

That doesn't change that he is still a poor footballer and one we can't carry, saf may of, but then would of sold him
I'll have him as a backup option but definitely not a starter. Lingard himself knows he's not a starter and Jose knows this too. We'll get better players who are more skills and technically better in summer no worry about that, but Lingard will remain as a back-up used in some games which need his movements or for resting other players. He's also one player who never be upset about being benched and these are good ones of players to have in the squad IMO.

el3mel

Yes and yes. If Mata was fit he would be playing ahead of him, Young can replicate what he gives us no problem but he's being used primarily as cover for the fullbacks.

Martial for me has always showed he's willing to tack back and help out defensively, even last season. No idea where this idea comes from that he doesn't.
Mata is too good to be wasted on backtracking a lot. If used he'll be used for his offensive side. He's not pacey and doesn't move a lot everywhere but instead is more technical on the ball. Playing Mata will come with different roles than Lingard , more offensive roles and many games need this approach.

Anyway Martial isn't playing on the same side as Lingard and Mata as they're on the right and he's on the left.

SirMattBugsby

I'm normally skeptical of YouTube videos, but that was well-explained. But one thing I will say is playing him in a front three is defensive overkill from Mourinho. Depending on formation, one out of Fellaini and him is enough, esp since goal-scoring is our main problem.

stevoc

Mata is too good to be wasted on backtracking a lot. If used he'll be used for his offensive side. He's not pacey and doesn't move a lot everywhere but instead is more technical on the ball. Playing Mata will come with different roles than Lingard , more offensive roles and many games need this approach.

Anyway Martial isn't playing on the same side as Lingard and Mata as they're on the right and he's on the left.
Doesn't really matter though you can play Martial left and move Mkhy to the right or play him up front and move Rashford to the right.

And anyway Valencia has been playing very well this season regardless of who is in front of him. He doesn't specifically need Lingard to defend well.

el3mel

Doesn't really matter though you can play Martial left and move Mkhy to the right or play him up front and move Rashford to the right.

And anyway Valencia has been playing very well this season regardless of who is in front of him. He doesn't specifically need Lingard to defend well.
Valencia can't catch a breath nowadays, even when we got a chance to rest vs Swansea we couldn't due to Shaw injury. Hell get tired as any human sooner or later, thus needs some support at this point of the season against a team attacking from flanks.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah I have seen them linked a lot on Reddit but most of them seem extremely basic. You get a lot more detailed analysis in posts on this forum

I haven't really seen any that I would say are good...any links?
There really aren't any good posts about him here, which is why I posted it. Have a look at their channel, there's loads of good material there.

Status
Not open for further replies.