Jean-Clair Todibo | signs for West Ham on loan with option to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a very United centric view and assuming he's happy to risk not playing European football for 2 years.

What risk? Is there a potential UEFA competition ban imposed by UEFA?

If so, you could have saved all this back-and-forth by stating so in your first response.

Interesting. So UEFA can basically tell clubs who can play in their own domestic competition yet don't stop multi-club ownership.

I'm all for a ban on multi-club ownership/co-ownership.

It's not guaranteed that they would be allowed to ban multiclubs from competing in their tournaments full stop, it's possible that they might get in trouble over competition laws, but they could certainly have stricter rules than they do now.

UEFA have no authority over who plays in England or France. They're not blocking the transfer. But, Nice selling a player to United, when the clubs have the same owners, is evidence of the clubs not being Independently ran, which therefore makes them ineligible to compete in the same UEFA competition. It doesn't matter what United do with the player, it's the transfer itself that is the issue.

Don't really see the big deal about the multi-ownership thing or why clubs can't sell players between them as long as it's market price. We used to have feeder clubs where we had first dibs on their players and we'd send players on loan their all the time to get some experience or a work permit, no one complained then but now it's a big deal.

What risk? Is there a potential UEFA competition ban imposed by UEFA?

If so, you could have saved all this back-and-forth by stating so in your first response.
If it's until September 25, I doubt we'd be able to register him for
The 25/26 either - not until January anyway. There is then a potential risk of further action for flouting it.

My whole point in general is why would someone want to move somewhere with potential issues for a year or more? I'm sure we wouldn't be his only option.

Don't really see the big deal about the multi-ownership thing or why clubs can't sell players between them as long as it's market price. We used to have feeder clubs where we had first dibs on their players and we'd send players on loan their all the time to get some experience or a work permit, no one complained then but now it's a big deal.

Plenty of people complained, but you can of course still do the feeder club thing. That's not what this is about.

If we had agreed the transfer in March prior to us and Nice being confirm in the same comp, would we have been fine getting this over the line?

If so, that’s a serious feck up from the boys.
They couldn’t have predicted UEFA were suddenly going to start applying their own rules, and besides we didn’t even know who the manager would be.

They couldn’t have predicted UEFA were suddenly going to start applying their own rules, and besides we didn’t even know who the manager would be.

The current rules are more lenient than last year's, we're getting special treatment. V Sports had to sell shares in Victoria to let both them and Villa participate, and RedBird had to place all of the Toulouse shares in a blind trust because of Milan.

If it's until September 25, I doubt we'd be able to register him for
The 25/26 either - not until January anyway. There is then a potential risk of further action for flouting it.

My whole point in general is why would someone want to move somewhere with potential issues for a year or more? I'm sure we wouldn't be his only option.
Isn’t he out of contract July 1 of next year? Surely this can’t apply to signing him on a free when he’s no longer contracted to his current club? That’s got to be a gross violation of EU labor laws (and the transfer restriction may be also).

Isn’t he out of contract July 1 of next year? Surely this can’t apply to signing him on a free when he’s no longer contracted to his current club? That’s got to be a gross violation of EU labor laws (and the transfer restriction may be also).

His contract runs out in 2027, and there is no transfer restriction. That's not UEFA's job.

Wait… I thought I read yday that eufa had confirmed the ownership had been ironed out and they were happy with us playing in the same competition. I assumed the Todibo deal would be back on

but actually, they’ve approved the clubs to play in the cup, but if the player were to move…he wouldn’t be allowed. Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Wait… I thought I read yday that eufa had confirmed the ownership had been ironed out and they were happy with us playing in the same competition. I assumed the Todibo deal would be back on

but actually, they’ve approved the clubs to play in the cup, but if the player were to move…he wouldn’t be allowed. Is that right? Or am I missing something?

One of the conditions of the approval is no transfers or loans. If transfers or loans happen, then the agreement is broken and United won't be able to enter the Europa League.

Sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop on this - Is it still not possible to sell him to Lausanne (via a cash infusion from SJR), loan him to United for a season, and buy him outright in the winter? The Swiss league shouldn't have extensive PSR rules that might complicate this right? A lot of other clubs seem to be using the loopholes that are available to them whether it's for sponsorships, player swaps, transfers etc. so why haven't we thought about this ourselves?

Sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop on this - Is it still not possible to sell him to Lausanne (via a cash infusion from SJR), loan him to United for a season, and buy him outright in the winter? The Swiss league shouldn't have extensive PSR rules that might complicate this right? A lot of other clubs seem to be using the loopholes that are available to them whether it's for sponsorships, player swaps, transfers etc. so why haven't we thought about this ourselves?

Don't believe so, sure the rules prevent 'indirect' transfers presumably meaning exactly the scenario above or similar.

Don't believe so, sure the rules prevent 'indirect' transfers presumably meaning exactly the scenario above or similar.

Thanks mate, I just looked into the ruling a bit more and this was said by UEFA as well: As part of UEFA's investigation, INEOS committed to not pursuing transfers between Nice and United "whether permanently or on loan, directly or indirectly, from July 2024 until September 2025, with the exception of pre-existing transfer agreements that had been entered into before the opening of the CFCB proceedings."

Well damn this is annoying.

Thanks mate, I just looked into the ruling a bit more and this was said by UEFA as well: As part of UEFA's investigation, INEOS committed to not pursuing transfers between Nice and United "whether permanently or on loan, directly or indirectly, from July 2024 until September 2025, with the exception of pre-existing transfer agreements that had been entered into before the opening of the CFCB proceedings."

Well damn this is annoying.

Yeah I think that might be that with this for now. There was a rumour about 10 days ago of us pursuing legal action at preventing the move but I can't see that being quick (and I've not heard anywhere else since it was even the case).

It's nonsense. If they want to preserve the integrity of the competition, not registering Todibo should have allowed the move.

If the issue is with the multi club ownership, then they should ban it altogether, which I'm all for.

It's completely unfair and would mean huge organisations could buy multiple clubs and feed all the payers to one club that could dominate football. They could also use their clubs to escape FFP and most importantly, they could match fix.

Don't really see the big deal about the multi-ownership thing or why clubs can't sell players between them as long as it's market price.
Who is ensuring they're paying market price? As far as I'm aware, there are no rules/punishment in place for paying below market price.

The governing bodies? Not hard to work out what the contract is worth plus compensation.
Can you imagine how often the likes of City would tie up the governing bodies with lawyers every time their transfer fees were deemed to not represent market value :lol:

Assuming he has a buy out clause, as almost every player has, can he not buy himself out of his contract and sign for whoever he likes?

Can you imagine how often the likes of City would tie up the governing bodies with lawyers every time their transfer fees were deemed to not represent market value :lol:
What does it matter? We signed players like the Da Silva twins for next to nothing from our feeder club in Brazil. No one seemed to care at any point.

The fact of the matter is, there’s multi club modals all over football, how many players ever get a move up? Good players don’t need to sign for Genoa so they can move to City one day, they’re already playing for Dortmund or Leipzig in the CL before moving on to an even bigger team.

Do people think we’re going to be able to stock pile some of the best talent in Europe at Nice and then cherry pick at will? Why would any of the players agree to that when they can go elsewhere?

Not every player in the world is a die hard United or City fan and is willing to spend 4 years at one of our owners other clubs just on the off chance they get a move to the PL.

Is this guy good enough to warrant all this fuss? Seems like De Ligt and Branthwaite are the most likely CB targets anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.