Jarrad Branthwaite

The offer of 45m plus 5m addons that was made was generous and above his market value, im sure if had been one of Evertons fellow cartel clubs like Newcastle or Villa who were in for him instead of us and had made that offer they would have accepted it.

That's just being a bit silly, isn't it?

Come on. The price of 70m was set by us from the off. We were clear we wouldn't sell for anything less and it was our too good to turn down price. You then decided to bid half of that firstly and then when we were clear it was a no you upped it to another price which wasn't near that fee. I don't understand why United fans are being weird about it. Everton have been clear from the start what the fee should be and that anything less would see swift rejection. That's been the case in every bid thus far. It's not hard to understand and it's not like other negotiations where clubs are happy to let a player go.
We made an opening bid which was swiftly rejected and then followed up with a bid of £45m + £5m in add-ons. You refused both, and we seemed to have cooled off and potentially moved on to other targets in Yoro and De Ligt.

Everton may well have their transfer fee in their head and are well within their rights to reject, but that second bid is certainly an appropriate ballpark amount to offer for a player like Branthwaite in the circumstances surrounding the potential deal.

There were no “games” or us being “difficult”. We haven’t pulled Branthwaite aside and told him to claim Everton are holding him hostage, or anything like that. This is all very standard stuff and I’m not sure why you’re so miffed by how we’ve acted.

We made an opening bid which was swiftly rejected and then followed up with a bid of £45m + £5m in add-ons. You refused both, and we seemed to have cooled off and potentially moved on to other targets in Yoro and De Ligt.

Everton may well have their transfer fee in their head and are well within their rights to reject, but that second bid is certainly an appropriate ballpark amount to offer for a player like Branthwaite in the circumstances surrounding the potential deal.

There were no “games” or us being “difficult”. We haven’t pulled Branthwaite aside and told him to claim Everton are holding him hostage, or anything like that. This is all very standard stuff and I’m not sure why you’re so miffed by how we’ve acted.

It wasn't appropriate because we set a clear figure for him.

Id understand if we hadn't said 70m is the fee but we did from the off. We said anything less would be rejected and there is no point bidding less than that.

I'm not that miffed at United, I'm more explaining what I thought was a self explanatory thing.

I'd say the same if it were Chelsea or City or another club bidding. We said the same when Chelsea bid for Stones and didn't sell him. Then sold him to City for the fee we wanted later on.

Last edited:
I’VE ASKED HIM TWICE AND HE REFUSES TO ANSWER

I'm not sure what you want me to answer?

To my knowledge we haven't had any bids for players that have been turned down and then gone back in for them, no.

If a club said to us 40m and we were bidding 20m I'd think we were also silly buggers.

To my knowledge we haven't had any bids for players that have been turned down and then gone back in for them, no.

If a club said to us 40m and we were bidding 20m I'd think we were also silly buggers.

You know fine rightly Everton negotiate lower fees.
No club just agree to pay full price on the first phone call.

You know fine rightly Everton negotiate lower fees.
No club just agree to pay full price on the first phone call.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at tbh.

I'm not sure how clear I have to be.

We said from the off 70m and we won't sell for less. If a club stated that to us and we were bidding 35m I'd call us silly buggers.

It's very different to making an opening bid for a player and then negotiating a fee without a clear value which we have set.

I'm not sure why that's so difficult for some people.

It wasn't appropriate because we set a clear figure for him.

Id understand if we hadn't said 70m is the fee but we did from the off. We said anything less would be rejected and there is no point bidding less than that.

I'm not that miffed at United, I'm more explaining what I thought was a self explanatory thing.
I don’t think your initial post is self explanatory, and I think you’re just being a little emotional given the obvious proximity.

Everton set a price, Manchester United tried to negotiate, Everton said no. Manchester United will probably move on now, though I do think we might make one final push again dependent on what happens with other targets.

This happens at clubs of all shapes and sizes across all leagues in every window. I don’t see how any “games” were being played. Both clubs are entirely justified in how they’ve acted during these negotiations.

@SilentWitness (getting an error when quoting)

"If a club said to us 40m and we were bidding 20m I'd think we were also silly buggers."

Would you still think you were silly buggers when you eventually agreed a deal at 30m?

That trajectory is extremely common.

I don’t think your initial post is self explanatory, and I think you’re just being a little emotional given the obvious proximity.

Everton set a price, Manchester United tried to negotiate, Everton said no. Manchester United will probably move on now, though I do think we might make one final push again dependent on what happens with other targets.

This happens at clubs of all shapes and sizes across all leagues in every window. I don’t see how any “games” were being played. Both clubs are entirely justified in how they’ve acted during these negotiations.

Not emotional, just tired of people not understanding.

We have said if you pay 70m you can have him. If not, bye bye. Nothing more to explain really.

Look keep him, wait till his stinks up the place next year and get less than half what we offered.

Journalists and transfer people are privy to the information now. If there was any back and forth we would know.
Agree that journalists are very informed, but in fairness that's moreso for the biggest teams.

It's hard to think of journos and the papers investing money and time cultivating relationships to the extent that they are aware of the the back and forth at the negotiating table for the lesser clubs.

No offence intended to Everton and others etc. But surely it doesn't return enough with the likes of subs / clicks to justify that, like it does for United, City etc..

Agree that journalists are very informed, but in fairness that's moreso for the biggest teams.

It's hard to think of journos and the papers investing money and time cultivating relationships to the extent that they are aware of the the back and forth at the negotiating table for the lesser clubs.

No offence intended to Everton and others etc. But surely it doesn't return enough with the likes of subs / clicks to justify that, like it does for United, City etc..

No offence taken. Personally I think due to the profile of the player we would hear about it if there was anything going on in terms of multiple bids. Anyway, was just trying to explain that we have set this 70mish value from quite early on, didn't think I'd get so much heat. :lol:

No ‘games’ have been played by either side, nor have we been ‘difficult’. What are you on about? It’s been a pretty standard transfer negotiation for a player whose club doesn’t particularly want to sell. I’ve not seen us have our sporting director call Everton out or anything untoward.

Placing official bids so far from Everton's stated valuation was very likely an attempt to unsettle the player, which is playing games.

This is going to be one of them Barkley / Rice threads that hangs around for years and years isn't it?

We clearly tried to play the PSR situation and thought they'd come down from the original £70m gambit. We got it wrong. Turns out @SilentWitness was right all along and they sold Onana for the relatively big fee and Branthwaite would only go for an over the odds fee. Fair play, called it from the begining!

No offence taken. Personally I think due to the profile of the player we would hear about it if there was anything going on in terms of multiple bids. Anyway, was just trying to explain that we have set this 70mish value from quite early on, didn't think I'd get so much heat. :lol:
Well, it’s a fan forum, what can you expect. There are at least a hundred people posting here who think you are a representative of Everton FC and can feed back to the board what we think of ‘your’ valuation.

What makes some of us even more uneasy is probably the fact that we have been linked to both Onana and Branthwaite for our two key positions to reinforce, and suddenly in one fell swoop it seems both are out of reach for us because they will play for Villa and Everton next season. We used to be able to pick and choose for a good while, it takes some adjusting …

Personally I’m glad the league is so strong that no team can just help themselves to other teams players. Hopefully United will get Ugarte and De Ligt and be there or thereaboit, while Everton and Villa will still be able to compete at a certain level (maybe even higher than us).

Well, it’s a fan forum, what can you expect. There are at least a hundred people posting here who think you are a representative of Everton FC and can feed back to the board what we think of ‘your’ valuation.

What makes some of us even more uneasy is probably the fact that we have been linked to both Onana and Branthwaite for our two key positions to reinforce, and suddenly in one fell swoop it seems both are out of reach for us because they will play for Villa and Everton next season. We used to be able to pick and choose for a good while, it takes some adjusting …

Personally I’m glad the league is so strong that no team can just help themselves to other teams players. Hopefully United will get Ugarte and De Ligt and be there or thereaboit, while Everton and Villa will still be able to compete at a certain level (maybe even higher than us).
You feel uneasy about losing out on Onana and potentially Branthwaite?

I feel the opposite, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Are this pair really at the technical level to be where we want to go? Onana definitely isn't and Everton play awful football.

Branthwaite might be at a more progressive team and he's left footed which is of course a huge selling point and probably a big reason Everton see a lot of value in holding out knowing how big that is in the market. But at this point let's be honest he's a CB playing for relegation fodder that's done decently, he has a huge amount of risk attached to him because of the price. For me I'm looking at that thinking what's the point when De Ligt, Yoro and potentially others are offering more value. So to see the door shutting on them I'm seeing opportunity not worry.

The offer of 45m plus 5m addons that was made was generous and above his market value, im sure if had been one of Evertons fellow cartel clubs like Newcastle or Villa who were in for him instead of us and had made that offer they would have accepted it.
If that’s what we value him at, I’ve got no issue with us walking away. It’s what we’ve all been saying should’ve happened with Antony.

Not emotional, just tired of people not understanding.

We have said if you pay 70m you can have him. If not, bye bye. Nothing more to explain really.

You can say that, but you don’t actually know that. This is part of negotiation. Everton is taking a strong stance. They could mean it, or they could be aware that United has caved in the final week a million times before. We shall see…but anyone making these dogmatic statements is fooling themselves. You could end up being right, but you don’t know the true inner workings of either club’s negotiating stance merely because you have followed media reports.

I’ve watched Jarrad for a long time, before any of the big clubs were aware of him. He will be worth the money if United pay it long term. He is quality. Problem for Everton is 15% of any transfer fee is to be paid to Carlisle United as a sell on clause.

You can say that, but you don’t actually know that. This is part of negotiation. Everton is taking a strong stance. They could mean it, or they could be aware that United has caved in the final week a million times before. We shall see…but anyone making these dogmatic statements is fooling themselves. You could end up being right, but you don’t know the true inner workings of either club’s negotiating stance merely because you have followed media reports.

I'm making educated guesses based on everything the club and people at the club have said, and what reliable sources have claimed we have said too. I would be very surprised if anything else happened unless something dramatically shifts.

Former Villa and Everton chief exec, Keith Wyness told Football Insider‘s Insider Track podcast:

“I just laughed again when that second bid came in – it’s nowhere near a valuation of a player of that quality.

“He’s a generational talent. I’m not being an Everton fan here, it’s just nowhere near enough.

“It’s a ridiculous way to conduct their transfer dealings.

“When I was in the Premier League, all the chief executives knew each other – and you get to know how each other move on transfers.

“Coming in with such a lowball offer just destroys your integrity.

“Of course there is a margin for negotiation, but you’ve got to be in the ballpark to be taken seriously.

“Dan Ashworth is in now, we’ll have to see if he can bring some sense to negotiations.

“£45m with £5m in add-ons, that’s still laughable.

“I’ve always said it’s going to be a £75m base fee, with add-ons. I’ve said months ago that he was a £100m player.

“He’s the right age, with the right talent. He performed spectacularly last season.

“He’s shown his athleticism and he’s also a very bright, stable and grounded kid.

“Branthwaite is everything you want in a centre-back.”

Ofcourse everyone is a generational talent these days. That term is used so freely it has completely lost its meaning. A guy who doesn't even get picked for his national team even after there were injuries to other senior players is a generational talent alright. :lol:

Sure they can demand whatever they want for their players, thats their right but calling him generational is pretty funny when there's a major tournament going on and he's sitting at home.

Tbf, there is no "fair" or "generous" offer in football. Player is worth based on how much buying club want to pay and how much selling club want to get.
We had every right to offer 10 mil and Everton have every right to demand 100 mil.

What we think that he is worth is another story. For me, even 20 mil is generous.

Real Madrid would have finished more than 14 points above us last season. You are a bang average side now and certainly not levels above us. Sad but true for you. In fact even though you beat us at Goodison last season, you made us look like Madrid in that game.

Bend over? love this propaganda. You can't afford him currently.
We made you'se look like Real Madrid in that game? We beat you'se 3.0 and Garnacho scored goal of the season, ridiculous statement by you. Typical bitterness from Evertonians, shouldn't expect anything else. Just you look forward to more Sean Dyche football, and hanging around the relegation zone.

You feel uneasy about losing out on Onana and potentially Branthwaite?

I feel the opposite, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Are this pair really at the technical level to be where we want to go? Onana definitely isn't and Everton play awful football.

Branthwaite might be at a more progressive team and he's left footed which is of course a huge selling point and probably a big reason Everton see a lot of value in holding out knowing how big that is in the market. But at this point let's be honest he's a CB playing for relegation fodder that's done decently, he has a huge amount of risk attached to him because of the price. For me I'm looking at that thinking what's the point when De Ligt, Yoro and potentially others are offering more value. So to see the door shutting on them I'm seeing opportunity not worry.
Me? No. But haven’t you looked around here? There are certainly some of us who has seen either of those as reinforcements.

Seems that he may have been right.

So apparently we're in talks with Bayern but if Yoro chooses us we'll dump them and De Ligt.

"Hang on Batern, we're waiting for this other guy to make a decision before we confirm whether we're wasting your time or not"

Ornstein isn't really "opinion based" whether you like him or not, he's a tap in merchant
Not if you read the article, it's pure opinion. They're basing it on the fact we haven't already completed the De Ligt deal already, as they perceive it as a straight forward deal.

Former Villa and Everton chief exec, Keith Wyness told Football Insider‘s Insider Track podcast:

“I just laughed again when that second bid came in – it’s nowhere near a valuation of a player of that quality.

“He’s a generational talent. I’m not being an Everton fan here, it’s just nowhere near enough.

“It’s a ridiculous way to conduct their transfer dealings.

“When I was in the Premier League, all the chief executives knew each other – and you get to know how each other move on transfers.

“Coming in with such a lowball offer just destroys your integrity.

“Of course there is a margin for negotiation, but you’ve got to be in the ballpark to be taken seriously.

“Dan Ashworth is in now, we’ll have to see if he can bring some sense to negotiations.

“£45m with £5m in add-ons, that’s still laughable.

“I’ve always said it’s going to be a £75m base fee, with add-ons. I’ve said months ago that he was a £100m player.

“He’s the right age, with the right talent. He performed spectacularly last season.

“He’s shown his athleticism and he’s also a very bright, stable and grounded kid.

“Branthwaite is everything you want in a centre-back.”
Pricing him out of a move

Pricing him out of a move
Yeah its dumb. I dont think theres a 100m cb in football at the moment. Brantwaithe is miles and miles off for the time being.
Part of me suspects they just see the physical qualities and overestimate their value.

Real Madrid would have finished more than 14 points above us last season. You are a bang average side now and certainly not levels above us. Sad but true for you. In fact even though you beat us at Goodison last season, you made us look like Madrid in that game.

Bend over? love this propaganda. You can't afford him currently.
Yet you sign up to a bang average side forum :lol: .

Yeah he isn't worth more than the 45+5 United offered, if he was that good, Chlesea, City, Arsenal and even maybe Spurs would've been interested in him

Yeah its dumb. I dont think theres a 100m cb in football at the moment. Brantwaithe is miles and miles off for the time being.
Part of me suspects they just see the physical qualities and overestimate their value.
They just want the best value for their players which is fine. No one should be dumb enough to pay that though. We are trying to get the best value for ourselves too which should be fine but apparently it angers some people like that guy. So does that guy go straight in with the clubs asking price without any negotiations if he's looking to buy a player?