Jarrad Branthwaite

Dealing with English clubs is just too difficult sometimes, made worse by the fact that they all hate us. We need to focus on overseas players.

Dealing with English clubs is just too difficult sometimes, made worse by the fact that they all hate us. We need to focus on overseas players.
Agree. It’s a complete waste of time they have no big picture thinking at all. We’ve offered more than fair money they could invest in their time and be proud of the fact a player is moving upwards in their career. Know your role.

Agree. It’s a complete waste of time they have no big picture thinking at all. We’ve offered more than fair money they could invest in their time and be proud of the fact a player is moving upwards in their career. Know your role.
Nearly every PL club has a billionaire owner now and they all have pipe dreams of winning stuff. They don't need or want to sell their best assets anymore.

Hope we don't go any higher than what Everton have accepted from Villa for Onana.

A 22 year old CM who was a starter for Belgium at the Euro's goes for the right amount of money to another PL club. Demanding £20m more of United for a 21 year old CB who wasn't even named in the English Euro squad and who has less club and international experience!? Very much feels like that's the English Tax or the United Tax at play.

Removing the English / United tax - £50m is the highest amount anyone should be paying for either of them at this stage.

Hope we don't go any higher than what Everton have accepted from Villa for Onana.

A 22 year old CM who was a starter for Belgium at the Euro's goes for the right amount of money to another PL club. Whether it's the English Tax or the United Tax, but demanding £20m more for a 21 year old CB who wasn't even named in the English Euro squad and who has less club and international experience!?

Removing the English / United tax - £50m is the highest amount anyone should be paying for either at this stage.
Bit different considering Branthwaite is home-grown, younger and a defender which Everton are in short supply of as they prepare for their next relegation battle.

I mean he will be as available a year from now and probably not at a much higher sticker price unless he has a Nesta season or something.

Like I've said before, I don't understand why we've spent months on this deal when it was obvious (to me at least) that Everton were not going to budge. Making low ball offers that Everton weren't going to accept was very predictable. They obviously have a valuation and have stuck to it.

I think there's some very good deals to be done at CB, and I can't seem to understand why we we're wasting time on players who are overpriced or players like Leny Yoro who seemingly wants to join Real Madrid.

Liverpool in Klopp's early tenure are often used as a example of how you can be successful in the transfer market by going after players who you will most likely sign with a decent offer. And I think that approach created a strong foundation which would later result in them spending big on Van Dijk and Allison after the sale of Coutinho.

Castello Lukeba is a good option as a Branthwaite alternative from RB Leipzig and maybe a £45 + £5m could sway them to sell the player. And instead of Yoro, Ousmane Diomande would be a excellent alternative as a developmental prospect.

Like I've said before, I don't understand why we've spent months on this deal when it was obvious (to me at least) that Everton were not going to budge. Making low ball offers that Everton weren't going to accept was very predictable. They obviously have a valuation and have stuck to it.

I think there's some very good deals to be done at CB, and I can't seem to understand why we we're wasting time on players who are overpriced or players like Leny Yoro who seemingly wants to join Real Madrid.

Liverpool in Klopp's early tenure are often used as a example of how you can be successful in the transfer market by going after players who you will most likely sign with a decent offer. And I think that approach created a strong foundation which would later result in them spending big on Van Dijk and Allison after the sale of Coutinho.

Castello Lukeba is a good option as a Branthwaite alternative from RB Leipzig and maybe a £45 + £5m could sway them to sell the player. And instead of Yoro, Ousmane Diomande would be a excellent alternative as a developmental prospect.

I can't say I've seen much of Lukeba, but they signed him for €30m only a year ago, have lost Xavi Simons, and look set to lose Olmo as well. In that context, I'm not sure I'd expect Leipzig to be particularly accommodating about weakening their side further.

The last I was reading on Diomande, Sporting wanted to keep him another year and may well point to his release clause (£68m). But I'd be all for having a go there. Very comfortable defending his channel and good on the ball.

Not at all. Buying the best from PL is the best way. But spending big on average and overrated dross is wrong.
Spending big (even overpay) on elite players like Kane or Isak is great but spending big on average dross like Maguire or Branthwaite is completely wrong.
I thought that we learned our lesson with Awb and Maguire.

I can't say I've seen much of Lukeba, but they signed him for €30m only a year ago, have lost Xavi Simons, and look set to lose Olmo as well. In that context, I'm not sure I'd expect Leipzig to be particularly accommodating about weakening their side further.

The last I was reading on Diomande, Sporting wanted to keep him another year and may well point to his release clause (£68m). But I'd be all for having a go there. Very comfortable defending his channel and good on the ball.
Piero Hincapie from Leverkusen is another player who potentially would be a good fit on the left and he's good at both passing out from the back as well as carrying the ball forward. At 22 years of age, he's another very good option.

Last edited:
I think part of the appeal with Branthwaite was his passport, so we might start seeing links to Guehi pick up a bit, especially given his contract situation. Different type of defender though.

I'm not sure Inacio is ready. His ability in possession is great, but I dunno if he's got the physicality for the PL yet.

Ah yes forgot about Guehi

It's stupid really, english players are overpriced and overhyped, We do not need to buy English players to be successful, as far as the rule of homegrown players concerned, we cover that very well with our academy players.

Hope this makes us walk away. Everton fans seem to think he’s the second coming of Bobby Moore. If he’s as good as they think then he’ll still be available for 80m next summer or the one after won’t he? Especially considering there’s a half decent chance that in one of those summers they get relegated.

Hope this makes us walk away. Everton fans seem to think he’s the second coming of Bobby Moore. If he’s as good as they think then he’ll still be available for 80m next summer or the one after won’t he? Especially considering there’s a half decent chance that in one of those summers they get relegated.

I desperately hope we drop it. Had a little look at stats earlier (not that they are the best all and end all) but they point to him being a country mile behind the player Harry Maguire was when we signed him.

I desperately hope we drop it. Had a little look at stats earlier (not that they are the best all and end all) but they point to him being a country mile behind the player Harry Maguire was when we signed him.
Maguire is better than him right now, not only when we signed him.

If he works hard do we reckon he could reach a similar level to Maguire at his best?

He’ll be lots better at things that Maguire wasn’t good at. But he’d do well to be as good as Maguire at his best at the things Harry excelled at.

For all his faults, Maguire was a top level (for his generation) one vs one defender, great in both penalty boxes and largely impeccable in the defensive third. All his limitations came through his lack of pace. The fella could pass and break through loose lines with a 15 yard ball carry. It’s just a shame that United never gave him the perfect partner, and that his peak was very short. Football changed quite a lot, very fast between Maguire at Leicester and his first two seasons at United. He didn’t adapt and his lack of 10 yard pace killed him.

Why would anyone listen to Everton fans these days, honestly. The shite they have watched in the last few years, make us like Real Madrid and we have been dirt. Buying an over hyped English player again for a massive fee(when we can't afford it). It's a massive risk and far from a sure thing. Glad we didn't bend over on this. Important to remember too in the future, when they want our cast off"s. Love this to be the year the angry scousers go down, them and Stone Cold Sean Dyche.

We haven't been difficult to deal with at all. We set a valuation and you didn't meet it. We couldn't have been more clear. The only one playing games and being difficult is you.

We haven't been difficult to deal with at all. We set a valuation and you didn't meet it. We couldn't have been more clear. The only one playing games and being difficult is you.

I'm fascinated by your take on this and that of some other Everton fans I've heard.

You've said you want a price, we have offered you a lower price, you have said no, we have raised our bid.

That's all that has happened from what I've seen. Pretty standard with most transfers.

at this stage, continuing to negotiate with everton will only embolden them in their thinking that they’re a relevant club. they should be thankful we’ve even gone back with a second bid. it’s like the ugly girl at school turning down a second invite to the prom from the cool jock.

Do you actually believe he is worth the valuation you have placed on him given his single season PL experience? Genuine question.

So Varane has gone and big Willy is going and by all accounts we are getting a player that will be on big money but was injured for a decent amount of last season and warmed the bench for his country at the Euros.
Out of our two CBs one was injured for most of last season and the other did not make the Euros squad due to injury but we have extended a deal for a 36yo and we still have the most passive CB in the league on our books but hopefully for not much longer.
Looks like our two young targets are out of reach so we will be scouring the other leagues and paying double the value of some 25/26yo that would struggle to make a Burnley side.

This is basically what everyone else is saying too - clunky, nothing special, Maguire-esque.

I remember when we signed Maguire too, everyone was saying what a great ball playing defender he was. I never saw it then, and I still don’t now. At least they’ve stopped trying to convince us though.

I'm fascinated by your take on this and that of some other Everton fans I've heard.

You've said you want a price, we have offered you a lower price, you have said no, we have raised our bid.

That's all that has happened from what I've seen. Pretty standard with most transfers.

We have been very clear with you about the price though, just like we were with Onana. Villa didn't feck about making bids for half of the valuation. They made a bid at the price we set and the deal is done. No games, no fannying about.

I don't know why Everton fans or ManUtd fans are offended by the bids. They might value player at some price, buying clubs thinks they might get for lower than that. If it doesn't happen then both move on, as simple as that. It's not like officials from both clubs are talking about this deal in the media.

How much would Jorrel Hato likely cost from Ajax ? I think he has a massive ceiling and fits the bill as someone who can play centre back or left back whilst being young enough to accept a squad role whilst developing, would be far cheaper than Branthwaite.

As should we be. Our max price point should be set by us and not keep sliding. If what we've offered is insufficient, move on. 'nuff said.
I don't know why Everton fans or ManUtd fans are offended by the bids. They might value player at some price, buying clubs thinks they might get for lower than that. If it doesn't happen then both move on, as simple as that. It's not like officials from both clubs are talking about this deal in the media.

It's not offence, it's more confusion and response to posters rather than United. There are times when clubs are actively selling players or are open to selling players so it makes sense for clubs to make bids and work their way up to try and meet common ground. There are also people on here stating we or other clubs play games and are difficult to deal with which in this case is also nonsense.

This is not one of those situations. We have been very very clear with the fee it will take to sell him. We have reiterated it to you, to the media, and to everyone. This is his price. He won't be sold unless this price is met. It's not a case of trying to work a price up to meet common ground. He's got that price. Match it or dip. No games, no difficulty in understanding that.

Why would anyone listen to Everton fans these days, honestly. The shite they have watched in the last few years, make us like Real Madrid and we have been dirt. Buying an over hyped English player again for a massive fee(when we can't afford it). It's a massive risk and far from a sure thing. Glad we didn't bend over on this. Important to remember too in the future, when they want our cast off"s. Love this to be the year the angry scousers go down, them and Stone Cold Sean Dyche.

Real Madrid would have finished more than 14 points above us last season. You are a bang average side now and certainly not levels above us. Sad but true for you. In fact even though you beat us at Goodison last season, you made us look like Madrid in that game.

Bend over? love this propaganda. You can't afford him currently.