Jarrad Branthwaite

I'll wait til I've seen him play to judge whether he's a far better option. Doesn't sound like we're as interest as many think at the moment.

True, the interest isn’t as concrete as I’d like and we wont know for sure how he’ll get on until he starts playing the in league but he’s the exact profile of player we need and according to many he’s been the best midfielder at the Copa America so that’s encouraging.

Last edited:
Looking at the CB's

Martinez, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia, Evans...ugh that is a grim list, made me forget the point I was going to make

christ, this fanbase are clueless.. the amount of fans who probably havent watched him and say they dont want him is unreal, Watch him go to city and the tears be flowing in this chat.

Easily one of the best young CB prospects in Europe.

Often wonder why i bother reading fans opinion sometimes on here.

Nah they don't do that anymore, even Ronaldo didn't request a transfer after his interview. All leaks from their agents etc. Already been leaked he wants out.

Every credible source has said he is happy to stay. It's only the shite sources that have 'leaked' that he wants out.

It'll be interesting to see if we target another left sided defender now in addition to De Ligt (who seems very close) and Yoro (who we were targeting due to him being an exceptional young talent).

Reckon Inacio might be an option now

christ, this fanbase are clueless.. the amount of fans who probably havent watched him and say they dont want him is unreal, Watch him go to city and the tears be flowing in this chat.

But you're so smart aren't you? So much smarter than everyone, so yeah, why do you bother with the simpletons on here, blinding us with the intensity of the halo of deep knowledge shining around your sagacious dome, your highness?

Every fanbase is like that, otherwise I agree with what you said.

But you're so smart aren't you? So much smarter than everyone, so yeah, why do you bother with the simpletons on here, blinding us with the intensity of the halo of deep knowledge shining around your sagacious dome, your highness?

Half this thread is about how he's another Maguire (whilst being a completely different type of defender) and how he isn't even worth 30-40m. He's right to call the fanbase clueless based on the Branthwaite thread

I want Everton to stay up anyway as I know that pisses the red scouse off so it's better that they keep Branthwaite especially as Onana will be tough for them to replace.

I hope Everton are happy keeping a player who doesn't want to be there :lol:

Don't think he has any quarrels with playing for Everton. Just that if the opportunity to play for United is there, he'd take it. If he continues to play well as he gets nearer to the end of the deal then the opportunity will always be there for him to go to a Top 6 club.

I think he's a very good CB and does the important job of being a good defender. On the technical side he isn't anywhere close to Licha or even let's say Maguire or Evans.

Honestly he reminds me of Maguire in his early days, very solid, but..

I hardly see Maguire making a slide tackle?

He always stays on his feet.

Brantwaithe is like Wan Bissaka with a stature of Mertersacker & the ambidexterity of Dalot.

The closest player i can compare him to at United is not Ferdinand or Maguire - its Vidic.

Brantwaithe is like Wan Bissaka with a stature of Mertersacker & the ambidexterity of Dalot.

The closest player i can compare him to at United is not Ferdinand or Maguire - its Vidic.
I meant more like how he looked like a really solid player for Leicester and Hull

Reckon Inacio might be an option now

I think part of the appeal with Branthwaite was his passport, so we might start seeing links to Guehi pick up a bit, especially given his contract situation. Different type of defender though.

I'm not sure Inacio is ready. His ability in possession is great, but I dunno if he's got the physicality for the PL yet.

That is pretty much correct comparison. With difference that full back can allow himself diving in tackles because there is often centre back covering his back. When centre back misses a tackle it leads to a goal chance.

Man, i do hope that we will avoid this bullet.

I think part of the appeal with Branthwaite was his passport, so we might start seeing links to Guehi pick up a bit, especially given his contract situation. Different type of defender though.

I'm not sure Inacio is ready. His ability in possession is great, but I dunno if he's got the physicality for the PL yet.
Guehi has been very good at the Euros & I would think there will be a fair bit of interest in him due to him not signing an extension.

Madrid waited for Mbappe to get him for free, what makes her believe they would even pay half of that on Branthwaite ?

Even now they aren't paying above 34m/p for the best upcoming 18YO CB in Europe

That is pretty much correct comparison. With difference that full back can allow himself diving in tackles because there is often centre back covering his back. When centre back misses a tackle it leads to a goal chance.

Man, i do hope that we will avoid this bullet.

I mean vidic used to dive all over place, with his face, his legs, his back..and he wasnt a full back.

Anyway, this is reminding me of Stones leaving Everton and how 96% of the Caf was laughing at how shit and overrated he was.

The same people jellied their pants begging for Sancho from Dortmund clearly shows that RedCafe as a whole is not a good enough place to determine a players potential.

I mean vidic used to dive all over place, with his face, his legs, his back..and he wasnt a full back.

Anyway, this is reminding me of Stones leaving Everton and how 96% of the Caf was laughing at how shit and overrated he was.

The same people jellied their pants begging for Sancho from Dortmund clearly shows that RedCafe as a whole is not a good enough place to determine a players potential.
Not even close. Tackle is one thing (Lisandro does them often too) and last ditch tackles (what Brantwaite does and what Jones did) is something completely different.

We all have opinion (and standards) about players. I think that he is bang average, overhyped defender. If we buy him and he proves me wrong......awesome.

Maguire, Gvardiol, Fofana benchmark that can’t make his international squad who are weak in that position. Everton are being greedy.

If we are considering going anywhere near that asking price then we should be not back away from Neves. Or even go and get Araujo out of Barcelona.

Not even close. Tackle is one thing (Lisandro does them often too) and last ditch tackles (what Brantwaite does and what Jones did) is something completely different.

We all have opinion (and standards) about players. I think that he is bang average, overhyped defender. If we buy him and he proves me wrong......awesome.

Brantwaithe is a very progressive tackler who tackles higher up the pitch.

When space does get exploited then he has good recovery pace to make these last ditch tackles. That doesn't mean its his only way of defending.

It's not the way he defends - he defends on the front foot higher up the pitch as possible, trying to intercept the ball by putting pressure directly on the attacker.

Maguire, Gvardiol, Fofana benchmark that can’t make his international squad who are weak in that position. Everton are being greedy.

If we are considering going anywhere near that asking price then we should be not back away from Neves. Or even go and get Araujo out of Barcelona.
I dont think i'd want to remind anyone of Fofana if i was trying to sell a cb. Its a pretty silly list of examples.

I dont think i'd want to remind anyone of Fofana if i was trying to sell a cb. Its a pretty silly list of examples.

He’s been injured for two years but was better than Branthwaite when he was at Leicester.

Think this is dead in the water - if we pay more now it sends out the same message that Woody’s reign did.

We must move on to other targets, which I think we already are doing.

Can someone explain to me why they want Branthwaite?

He's a good, not great defender (stats around 80th percentile in major categories) but he's terrible on the ball...as in bottom 15 percent...in all passing stats. We're a team that wants to be in possession and play a high line, but some people want a guy that's essentially a worse passing Harry Maguire. He doesn't complete progressive passes, doesn't carry progressively, or do anything of the things you need from a high line defender. Even for 40 mil he's a mistake.

He’s been injured for two years but was better than Branthwaite when he was at Leicester.
Agreed, all 3 are. Being injured for 2 years and it being doubtful that he'll recover to the same standard isn't a transfer i'd be looking to repeat. Probably highlights how stupidly risky it is to spend that kind of fee on a player.

Brantwaithe is a very progressive tackler who tackles higher up the pitch.

When space does get exploited then he has good recovery pace to make these last ditch tackles. That doesn't mean its his only way of defending.

It's not the way he defends - he defends on the front foot higher up the pitch as possible, trying to intercept the ball by putting pressure directly on the attacker.
You sound like Pool fans when they defend Nunez as "creator of chaos". Central defender who tackles much lacks positioning and game reading. And lets not pretend that he has some great recovery pace so "he can lose tackle high on the pitch". His pace is average.

Class defender (which should be a standard for United player) will position himself better and get the ball without tackle. Tackle is just last resort in defending.
To have defender like Branthwaite in attacking side which play with high defensive line, would be a disaster.