Jarrad Branthwaite

Why go back for him IF we want Yoro? 3 first choice defenders for 2 spots is great but 4 is too much. 3 first choice, one who is fine with being backup (Lindelof or Harry) and one young as 5th option (Kambwala) is perfect balance.
Yes, yes, i know; injuries. But what about those periods when all are fit? You can't rotate defenders every game.

Why go back for him IF we want Yoro? 3 first choice defenders for 2 spots is great but 4 is too much. 3 first choice, one who is fine with being backup (Lindelof or Harry) and one young as 5th option (Kambwala) is perfect balance.
Yes, yes, i know; injuries. But what about those periods when all are fit? You can't rotate defenders every game.

we’re most likely not getting yoro

You pony up and pay or you move on, hopefully this is done either way in the next week or two.

Womp.

we are approaching this properly.

I agree. Hopelessly lowballing is not the way to approach transfers, despite most fans being obsessed with it. Branthwaite is worth more than 45m.

How? same shit. They will get what they want. We started at 35 m, will end up paying 60-70 for a player is not worth half that.

If you think he isn't even worth 30m then that's your problem, but he's worth way more than that. I can also guarantee you that we won't pay 70m as several reliable journalists have indicated we won't meet that asking price. A 3rd bid after Everton rejected 45m doesn't mean we'll immediately jump to 70.

According to who?

According to what we see with our own eyes. He had one OK season in the EPL, his team in a relegation battle, and his individual numbers are worse than his teammate Tarkowski. English center backs lacks quality at the moment and their best defenders are Stones and Maguire not even automatic starters in their respective PL teams.

How do Everton justify £70m for Branthwaite if Bayern are valuing De Ligt at c. £40m.

£55m - 60m is a more than fair offer if we go back in.

Forget about him. Yoro and De ligt will do. He can get relegated with them next year and then we’ll sign him cheaper.

It does make sense, what you are saying though is that you disagree with that scenario.
It doesn't though. Do you honestly think if Yoro said yes, we'd just feck off De Ligt? Not to mention in what world is De Ligt a back up option to an 18 year old from Ligue 1?

Whilst we did have the Yoro bid accepted, I can't help but believe we knew he was holding out for Madrid, so we are now hedging. We hope the Yoro bid pressures Everton (as De Ligt is all but announced), and if it doesn't then we are hoping Madrid doesn't want to come in for Yoro at this price when he's on a free in a year's time.

Instead of the Murtough approach of obsessing on one target and just caving after 15 rounds of bidding, we are pressuring Everton and lille at the same time to advantage us in negotiations.

Basic fecking competence is like a soothing tonic for this fanbase, we've been hurt and abused for too long by idiots.

Nothing I've seen of Branthwaite makes me feel he is worth anything north of £50 million, if that. I think we're going to end up paying stupid money here.

Why are we insisting and wasting our time on a player who's clearly overpriced when we can get say Calafiori for a lower price?

I hate Arsenal having a free run at that guy when he could be a great option for us at both LCB & LB when you take Shaw, Malacia & Martinez's injury records into account. It makes too much sense for us I suppose.

I don't want to moan about the new management yet but this feels like a mistake we would have done a couple of years ago under Woodward & Murtough. Going for overpriced British players when there are much better and cheaper options out there.

Why are we insisting and wasting our time on a player who's clearly overpriced when we can get say Calafiori for a lower price?

I hate Arsenal having a free run at that guy when he could be a great option for us at both LCB & LB when you take Shaw, Malacia & Martinez's injury records into account. It makes too much sense for us I suppose.

I don't want to moan about the new management yet but this feels like a mistake we would have done a couple of years ago under Woodward & Murtough. Going for overpriced British players when there are much better and cheaper options out there.
You want to complain about the injury records of Shaw, Malacia and Martinez yet not of Calafiori? Or did you just not know he is also injury prone?

You want to complain about the injury records of Shaw, Malacia and Martinez yet not of Calafiori? Or did you just not know he is also injury prone?

I know he did his ACL 6 years ago but didn't miss too many games in the last 2 years as far as I know. I definitely prefer him to Branthwaite.

Personally I would look to loan out Kambwala for a season rather than face him sitting around as 6th choice.

CB is one of those position where experience is essential, which is why CBs don’t tend to break through super young unless they are immensely talented and physical, especially at the top clubs. A year at a lower prem team or upper champ team would do Willy the world of good, and he can then come in as the outright 4th choice in a year when Evans and Maguire move on.

Aye. Players only get better if they play. Especially centre backs.

Rude of me. But if he could go to Ipswich and get a game that would be ideal.

Nothing I've seen of Branthwaite makes me feel he is worth anything north of £50 million, if that. I think we're going to end up paying stupid money here.
I don’t think we will. We’ll have a Yoro kind of limit with him. €50-55m max. Anything more and we look elsewhere. Already hearing that we’re looking at David Hancko who is a similar profile albeit 26 and does pretty much everything Brantwaite does.

I don’t think we will. We’ll have a Yoro kind of limit with him. €50-55m max. Anything more and we look elsewhere. Already hearing that we’re looking at David Hancko who is a similar profile albeit 26 and does pretty much everything Brantwaite does.

Dutch connection with Feyenoord

45+5 is a fair offer, that makes him at least in the top 10 of most expensive CBs in the history, I really hope we do not go beyond and look for alternatives

It doesn't though. Do you honestly think if Yoro said yes, we'd just feck off De Ligt? Not to mention in what world is De Ligt a back up option to an 18 year old from Ligue 1?
I don’t see an issue in lining up multiple potential targets at once to then ultimately pick which one you want. Think that is quite common to be honest but because it’s us it’s more scrutinised and exposed in the media. Similar happened with Todibo, everyone accepted that he was the backup option if we failed to get our top target. It’s certainly better than how we usually do things when we went from player to player and looked desperate.

As far as Yoro being a top target, just look at the numbers. He’s got a year left on his contract and they’re willing to fork out €50-60 million on him. It’s obvious they think he is the guy to go after. De Ligt is just a seemingly easy signing to make so maybe they just have that on the back burner ready. Not anywhere near as implausible as your making out.

Walk Away.
So if you get this dude and De Ligt, what does that mean for all Martinez? A move to midfield or LB? Or a back 3?

Interesting times indeed.

Martinez would be the clear starter the second spot for whoever is in form.