Jarrad Branthwaite

Its been reported many many many times that our own scouts had been ignored since SAF left. The proof is also in the pudding on that. Do you think that our scouts had grown a fetishness for Eredivisie players the moment ETH entered the door? I also suggest that you start watching him more regularly. He's not another Maguire.

It's not about the last couple of years. Our scouts also suggested Case and picked AWB from some 800 names. The whole department needs an overhaul and I won't be quick to trust their judgement.

I never said he is another Maguire. I said Maguire had the physical attributes and the ball playing ability too. I suggest you try reading posts properly.

And also, you have blamed the club and called players O'Shit or Mcshit or whatever during the time we were winning titles, when did you become this saint who trusts the scouting department? Quite a change of heart from you. :lol:

It's not about the last couple of years. Our scouts also suggested Case and picked AWB from some 800 names. The whole department needs an overhaul and I won't be quick to trust their judgement.

I never said he is another Maguire. I said Maguire had the physical attributes and the ball playing ability too. I suggest you try reading posts properly.

And also, you have blamed the club and called players O'Shit or Mcshit or whatever during the time we were winning titles, when did you become this saint who trusts the scouting department? Quite a change of heart from you. :lol:

Let's start from the personal part. I've been a regular on redcafe since 2002 . People change throughout more then 2 decades and my diagnosis I'd learnt that what I find funny might not be what others find funny so I rein it a bit in. There's also a cultural issue as well. We South Meds tend to be more brutal then you 'softies' (I am joking here). Anyone who knows Italian should watch bidoni del calcio mai dire gol on youtube. That sort of humor is mainstream in Italy but would definitely be banned in the UK

For the rest.

- Its said that a good recruiter in football has around 50% success rate. That means that 1 out of 2 doesn't reach the expectations set to him. That doesn't mean that he'll be shit. A top player might be squad player level for example. However its undeniable that the failure rate is high.

- Its been said many times that post Fergie, scouts were often being ignored. AWB and Maguire were Ole signings and its evident that this fetishness for Eredivisie player was motivated by ETH

- Reg Maguire. I was one of the very few people who showed concerns about Maguire pre signing him. My argument back then was that he is insanely slow and he doesn't scan enough around him. That's not an issue when playing into a deep line but certainly an issue at a club like United. Now I haven't watch Jarrad enough to judge his scanning. However he certainly isn't slow.

Everton is close to selling Godfrey for Atalnta for 10m, so we aren't getting him.

Last edited:
Ball playing is teachable and improveable quite easily I think. Look at Lewis Dunk stats prior to Potter and De Zerbi. They're way off what he now produces.

It also really depends on the team around you making it possible to produce certain aspects of it too.
I disagree. Tactical stuff and physical stuff yes, but technical skill is a natural talent. You have it or you don't. You CAN improve a little but that is it.
Jones, Smalling, Zouma, McTominay.....you can teach them 24 hours per day to control and pass the ball and still they would suck in it.

We have to start walking away from clubs which try to pull a mafia move on United. This might be the perfect situation for us to send a clear message that United are no longer useless mugs as we were under Woodward and Murtough.

We must walk away from this deal. Lets sign Yoro now (who has lower fee and is better defender) and then we can afford to wait what will happen with our appeal about Todibo (best defender of all our targets).

Let's start from the personal part. I've been a regular on redcafe since 2002 . People change throughout more then 2 decades and my diagnosis I'd learnt that what I find funny might not be what others find funny so I rein it a bit in. There's also a cultural issue as well. We South Meds tend to be more brutal then you 'softies' (I am joking here). Anyone who knows Italian should watch bidoni del calcio mai dire gol on youtube. That sort of humor is mainstream in Italy but would definitely be banned in the UK

For the rest.

- Its said that a good recruiter in football has around 50% success rate. That means that 1 out of 2 doesn't reach the expectations set to him. That doesn't mean that he'll be shit. A top player might be squad player level for example. However its undeniable that the failure rate is high.

- Its been said many times that post Fergie, scouts were often being ignored. AWB and Maguire were Ole signings and its evident that this fetishness for Eredivisie player was motivated by ETH

- Reg Maguire. I was one of the very few people who showed concerns about Maguire pre signing him. My argument back then was that he is insanely slow and he doesn't scan enough around him. That's not an issue when playing into a deep line but certainly an issue at a club like United. Now I haven't watch Jarrad enough to judge his scanning. However he certainly isn't slow.

We signed Maguire to balance Lindelof. The guy wins everything in the air. Personally I think we should have signed Tah who does does what Maguire does and has pace, but I get the signing. Not at that price of course.

We signed Maguire to balance Lindelof. The guy wins everything in the air. Personally I think we should have signed Tah who does does what Maguire does and has pace, but I get the signing. Not at that price of course.

You have to add the third element to it though ie tactics. Maguire and Lindelof were players designed for a deep line. They lacked the pace and the scanning needed to play in a high line. Ole's biggest mistake was that of buying players for huge money who fitted a certain way of playing only to change that style completely later on. That made all players in his first transfer window redundant.

Last edited:
You have to add the third element to it though ie tactics. Maguire and Lindelof were players designed for a deep line. They lacked the pace and the scanning needed to play in a high line. Ole's biggest mistake was that of buying players for huge money who fitted a certain way of playing only to change that style completely later on. That made all players in his first transfer window redundant.

Ole wasn't in charge of the money, but I do basically agree with you about everything else.

I disagree. Tactical stuff and physical stuff yes, but technical skill is a natural talent. You have it or you don't. You CAN improve a little but that is it.
Jones, Smalling, Zouma, McTominay.....you can teach them 24 hours per day to control and pass the ball and still they would suck in it.
Eh. It's about coaching and confidence too. I mean Chiellini was terrible technically and yet he learned to not only not hurt Juventus' build up but even be effective, just by having the confidence and coaching to make the right plays

Worst thing for us to do now is bid again, leave it were it is, move unto other targets.

he’ll be off to newcastle for £120m, with wilson moving the other way for £55m.

I think we need a faster cb but it doesn't need to be him.

According to Romano the player wants to leave and it’s widely reported he’s agreed terms.

Ball is in United’s court. Either sort the fee or walk away.

According to Romano the player wants to leave and it’s widely reported he’s agreed terms.

And according to the Everton sources he's happy to stay. Agreeing terms doesn't really mean anything.

I think we've done well with this. Pursued other targets and look in a decent position for 3 deals in 3 different positions. Branthwaite might happen, might not. But we won't look remotely desperate if we secure Zirkzee, Ugarte and De Ligt in the process.

I think we've done well with this. Pursued other targets and look in a decent position for 3 deals in 3 different positions. Branthwaite might happen, might not. But we won't look remotely desperate if we secure Zirkzee, Ugarte and De Ligt in the process.

Yep I agree. Turned the players head and have an agreement/green light, then keeping options open.

I think the sources saying he’s happy to leave are multiple though and independent.

He’s clearly open to the move. Otherwise the club wouldn’t bid.

Happy to stay and open to a move are possible at the same time. Romano isn't really a reliable source for moves which are in early stages. He's the ultimate final stage guy but gets a lot of early stuff wrong.

Happy to stay and open to a move are possible at the same time. Romano isn't really a reliable source for moves which are in early stages. He's the ultimate final stage guy but gets a lot of early stuff wrong.

Do you think a club bids for a player without confirming they are happy to leave?

I think it’s pretty clear if a fee is agreed JB will happily join United. He may not create a fuss or look at forcing a move, granted, but he’s keen to play at Old Trafford in the famous red white and black. Who can blame him :devil:

Fair but it's also things the player/agent will be telling both parties - the club he's at and the suitors. Can't burn bridges and all that.

Do you think a club bids for a player without confirming they are happy to leave?

I think it’s pretty clear if a fee is agreed JB will happily join United. He may not create a fuss or look at forcing a move, granted, but he’s keen to play at Old Trafford in the famous red white and black. Who can blame him :devil:

Yes? Random deals happen all the time. Again, happy to stay, happy to leave, whatever. He just seems like a player who wants to play football and at this moment of his career is happy to do so at Everton or United.

I'd rather we go for De Ligt than this english fraud. Would cost atz least double too which is insane.

Shouldn’t pay a pound over 40m if matsaan is the benchmark.
Strange comparison - a player who has had mostly loans to championship teams and a season at Dortmund versus a player who plays week in, week out in the Premier league. And has been capped by England. The former went for 37.5m this summer to Aston Villa and you think the latter will go for the same? It will be at least 10m more & some bonuses chucked in
I expect something around 55m gets the deal done

Strange comparison - a player who has had mostly loans to championship teams and a season at Dortmund versus a player who plays week in, week out in the Premier league. And has been capped by England. The former went for 37.5m this summer to Aston Villa and you think the latter will go for the same? It will be at least 10m more & some bonuses chucked in
I expect something around 55m gets the deal done

55m won't get it done if it's post June 30th. Everything Thelwell and the club said prior to the window opening has been reality thus far...so I have more confidence in them being truthful about the c. 70m asking fee.

55m won't get it done if it's post June 30th. Everything Thelwell and the club said prior to the window opening has been reality thus far...so I have more confidence in them being truthful about the c. 70m asking fee.
Then he will be with you guys next season. I think the days of PL clubs making 70m purchases on anything but attackers are done. People are now learning from clubs mistakes in PSR

Then he will be with you guys next season. I think the days of PL clubs making 70m purchases on anything but attackers are done. People are now learning from clubs mistakes in PSR

I expect him to stay one more season now also. Would be surprised if he left unless something changes.

I would say the difference between spending on attackers and midfielders/defenders has gotten a lot smaller.

I think the majority of the fanbase it completely fine with walking away from deals once the fee gets to 70 million level.

Finding a CB around the 40 million mark who can improve the current United shouldn't be too hard for a competent scouting department.

He doesn't mind staying at Everton but would prefer to join United - that makes perfect sense and both sets of reports are correct.