Jarrad Branthwaite

De Ligt looks to be accelerating and Everton look to have sold other players.

Next season, perhaps. If we are still in the market for another CB.

Yep. Still think Onana will be sold, possibly DCL too and that will be that. Branthwaite will only be sold for the 60-80m fee reported and if not he will stay.

I know Ornstein said that Braithwaite is a separate pursuit from DeLigt, but somehow, I find this hard to believe. Now that Everton practically doesn't need to sell, they have all the cards in their hands.

I know Ornstein said that Braithwaite is a separate pursuit from DeLigt, but somehow, I find this hard to believe. Now that Everton practically doesn't need to sell, they have all the cards in their hands.

Why ? Varane is gone - Evans is a year older, Martinez has been injured the better part of a year and we are likely to sell either Maguire or Lindelof - nor can we rely on Shaw to cover. It's quite clear we will need 2 central defenders

Which would mean, dare I say it? We've, and this is not confirmed, that we, Manchester United Footbal Club, have in fact, Walked Away

Why ? Varane is gone - Evans is a year older, Martinez has been injured the better part of a year and we are likely to sell either Maguire or Lindelof - nor can we rely on Shaw to cover. It's quite clear we will need 2 central defenders

I doubt that we will bring De Ligt on high wages, and go out and fork 65-70m for him, only to see him sit on the bench. Or vice versa, we get Brantwaite, then De Ligt sits on the bench on high wages? Maguire can be back up to the RCB position, and we will gamble on Martinez's fitness this year, and use Evans as a backup.

We do need 2 CBs tbh but I don't see one of them being Branthwaite unfortunately. At least not this summer.

It’s either De Ligt or this bloke to play with Lisandro. It won’t be both i reckon. To drop over a 100M pounds on two new centrebacks is a lot of money and especially when we have other areas of the pitch which need to be addressed. And we still have Maguire and Lindelof at the club

It’s either De Ligt or this bloke to play with Lisandro. It won’t be both i reckon. To drop over a 100M pounds on two new centrebacks is a lot of money and especially when we have other areas of the pitch which need to be addressed. And we still have Maguire and Lindelof at the club

One will be sold but I don't think we sign Brainthwaite, we will sign another CB though

The thing is though, one injury to one of Martinez or De Ligt and ETH is back to Maguire, and Lindelof as backups. One of them has to be sold as they're nowhere near what we want even as squad players. Evans is still decent but he could fall off a cliff next season given his age.

The thing is though, one injury to one of Martinez or De Ligt and ETH is back to Maguire and Lindelof as backups. One of them has to be sold as they're nowhere near what we want even as squad players.
Yeah we need both

I can’t see us signing him and de Ligt so I’m assuming we’ve moved on from Branthwaite and are now focusing on the latter. Which I’m happy to see, under Woodward and co we’d have messed about all summer with this before eventually caving in to Everton’s demands and coughing up a ridiculous £80m fee. Glad we’ve fecked it off after an opening offer was rejected and haven’t received any indication they’re willing to compromise.

With De Ligt seems to be on, we should move on now. We can come back for him next season if the need is still there. No other clubs seems to be in for him at that valuation. It also sets a good precedent that we don't overpay.

We should be looking at 20-30 millions younger CB to replace Maguire/Lindelöf and can easily resell if it doesn't work out.

Everton are in 'cloud cuckoo land' if they think any football club will pay £60 - £80 million for Branthwaite. I hope clubs with players Everton want also add a 30% - 40% mark up on realistic prices to teach them a lesson.

Surely the other centre back wanted is Todibo, which is why Ratcliffe is trying to get the rule changed this window. It's an alternative to him that's needed given UEFA are unlikely to budge rather then the overpriced Branthwaite.

Everton are in 'cloud cuckoo land' if they think any football club will pay £60 - £80 million for Branthwaite. I hope clubs with players Everton want also add a 30% - 40% mark up on realistic prices to teach them a lesson.

What lesson are you on about here? If a club doesn't want to sell a player they're not going to quote you a low price. :lol:

If we have moved on from him to De Ligt then good. If they want £70m and we can get a 25yr old who’s played for Ajax, Juve and Bayern for £40m then I’d rather that, injuries or not. We do need another defender though. Such a shame we got screwed with Todibo

I doubt that we will bring De Ligt on high wages, and go out and fork 65-70m for him, only to see him sit on the bench. Or vice versa, we get Brantwaite, then De Ligt sits on the bench on high wages? Maguire can be back up to the RCB position, and we will gamble on Martinez's fitness this year, and use Evans as a backup.

We cant afford to gamble on Martinez' fitness - we need a minimum of 4 centrebacks - not counting Evans

Fair enough, you don't want to sell him, can't argue with that.
At least you accept the price quoted is way over what he's worth.

I don't think I did. He's worth that to us. He might not be worth that to you. That how football transfers and values work most of the time.

If we have moved on from him to De Ligt then good. If they want £70m and we can get a 25yr old who’s played for Ajax, Juve and Bayern for £40m then I’d rather that, injuries or not. We do need another defender though. Such a shame we got screwed with Todibo

Yeah we definitely could do with signing a CB who possesses that necessary recovery pace

Here you have the options:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/potential-centre-back-signings.473885/post-32095864

There are plenty affordable LCBs who can also play emergency LB (although I want us to sign someone like Gutierrez too)

I know the names, and have seen a bit from a number of them as well, so maybe I phrased it incorrectly, what I meant was we don't know who the club rates highly that's also available from these guys. For example, I'd probably try to get Tapsoba from your list as one of the highest rated options, but he's probably not available and I haven't seen reliable reports claiming he's a serious target for us, just that he's a name we're aware of and have scouted.

Who would you want us to go for as the 2nd signing at centre half, in the case of signing de Ligt?

Just walk away from this. He's not worth the money Everton want. They're entitled to ask for what they want, that's fine. We just need to move on.

Just walk away from this. He's not worth the money Everton want. They're entitled to ask for what they want, that's fine. We just need to move on.

why walk away ? As long as we are actively pursuing other targets - and don't put all our eggs in one basket - I am fine with us going after Branthwaite - untill we know it's not happening

Agreed.

We have Martinez, lindelof, Maguire, Evans, kambwala.

So it will either be de ligt or Branthwaite. Not both.

Which is stupid. The fact that we aren't actively looking to bin off at least one of Maguire or Lindelof is shocking
What makes you think we’re not? I’ve read media reports that we are and interest from Turkey in Lindeloff. Don’t think we’ll get Branthwaite after getting de Ligt but I think there will be another CB coming in.

What makes you think we’re not? I’ve read media reports that we are and interest from Turkey in Lindeloff. Don’t think we’ll get Branthwaite after getting de Ligt but I think there will be another CB coming in.
Sounds like we are "open to offers" but not actively looking to shift out some of those names and replacing them with 2 new CB's. Just getting 1 doesn't change much considering the other profiles in that room, one injury and it's the same excuses as last year

why walk away ? As long as we are actively pursuing other targets - and don't put all our eggs in one basket - I am fine with us going after Branthwaite - untill we know it's not happening
If Everton haven't shown any inclination to come down on price, it's not happening

Love the speed at which we abounded this. Need to stop being seen as mugs.

I am happy that the club stuck to its valuation on this one - we need to be stop taken for mugs even if it means we miss out on a target or four. Over the last decade, selling clubs have kept on putting insane valuations on average players once we come in for them knowing that we will eventually pay up.

Only time will tell if we were right to not cave in to their demands, but need to learn to walk away when demands are deemed unreasonable. There is plenty of other fish in the sea, especially of the center back variety.