Jarrad Branthwaite

Also the fact that every fan was happy to let Gordon leave because he didn't suit our side and was nowhere near the level that Branthwaite was for us.

People keep using whatever reference they want to try and argue that it's a 'fair' deal but at the end of the day. We as a club do not think it's fair and that's all that matters.

Funny that. Didn’t he get upgraded to a new number and considered your most valuable attacker having to play upfront because of lack of options.

The revisionism is outstanding. Gordon had already established himself and was a top talent. Definitely more valuable than Branthwaite.

Funny that. Didn’t he get upgraded to a new number and considered your most valuable attacker having to play upfront because of lack of options.

The revisionism is outstanding. Gordon had already established himself and was a top talent. Definitely more valuable than Branthwaite.

There's no revisionism. The club rated Gordon highly, the fans weren't impressed with his performances at times and never by his output and for that fee were happy to let him go. In the case of Branthwaite, both club and fans are highly impressed and don't want to let him go. His work rate was top notch and you could see there was a player in there but at Everton he was hot and cold in terms of his output (which at times was non-existent) and there was as much chance of becoming an average player as much as a top player. In regards to Branthwaite everyone feels quite confident he's nailed on to become a top top player.

Also the fact that every fan was happy to let Gordon leave because he didn't suit our side and was nowhere near the level that Branthwaite was for us.

People keep using whatever reference they want to try and argue that it's a 'fair' deal but at the end of the day. We as a club do not think it's fair and that's all that matters.

I think people are just trying to find a fee that they'd be happy with United paying. Obviously it only matters if the two clubs can bridge the gap in their valuations, but given that we might as well have offered a packet of maltesers and a handjob to open the bidding, I personally don't see that as likely right now.

I do recall a lot of Everton fans seemingly despising Gordon in his last few months.

Pavlovic would be an instant fan favourite too. I'd like to see us try to get him, good on the ball and very aggressive. He just needs to time things a bit better but that will probably come with experience.
Why would we pay 60m on Branthwaite or Guehi when we could have Pavlovic for like 20m? We better use the money to get a good RCB.

I don't want us to bargain shop, but I want us to find the right centre back and for the right price.

I would be happy with Branthwaite for 55 million, I think he is a really good defender. But I wouldn't go to 70m for him. However, I would pay 70m for Tapsoba who I think is the exact profile of defender we need.
For the 11th running year we have issues in our talent ID, we can't just seem to find the right match in terms of physicality and technique so we will pay over the odds for a physically superb player with average technique or vise versa only to upgrade on them a couple of years later.

I wouldn't mind paying £70m for Branthwaite if he had all the attributes we needed, we are replacing Varane here but he seems to play in a position where our only settled CB plays, his passing is good not great and he still has a few flaws in his game to iron out. Given that we are moaning about how skint we are, not complaining, we need to get this absolutely right or we will waste another 3 seasons waiting for him to come good.

It would still be a big move. A massive club with an enormous global fanbase and the pressures that come with that. It’s a tougher environment than Everton that’s for sure.

Start acting like one then
Christ the Everton fan cope :lol:

No matter how much you want to deny it, United is still one of the biggest clubs in the world with huge pull. We've been horrid for a decade and still have huge pull. Get over yourself

I didn't mean you aren't a big club, you are. But you don't have the pull you had in the 00's or 90's where frankly... you were the only show in town in England.

You have a big pull.... just not THAT big currently. When's the last time a top player rejected other clubs for you? You are now relying on signing young kids (for too much), no marks from the Dutch league or past it players from Madrid.

50-55m suggests he has some serious potential then. You think he’s good enough to be a consistent starter for the team we want to be? I’m just wary of us stockpiling okay talent for 50/60/70m. For around 50-60m we’ve seen teams sign Bruno / Rodri / B Silva / Martinez and many more quality players. We shouldn’t overpay for talents the way we did for Hojlund last summer out of desperation.
I think he's a much needed squad addition. Given his age it's value for money, he's a unit that's strong in the air and in the tackle, the anti-Lindelof. Playing under Dyche has potentially skewed his ball playing stats as well.

I don't want us to bargain shop, but I want us to find the right centre back and for the right price.

I would be happy with Branthwaite for 55 million, I think he is a really good defender. But I wouldn't go to 70m for him. However, I would pay 70m for Tapsoba who I think is the exact profile of defender we need.
The question is for whoever in charge for transfer in Utd. Who is cheaper than £70m which are better? Not how much you want to pay for Branthwaite. Who is the next name on the transfer list?

Tapsoba release clause is €100m.

The question is for whoever in charge for transfer in Utd. Who is cheaper than £70m which are better? Not how much you want to pay for Branthwaite. Who is the next name on the transfer list?

Tapsoba release clause is €100m.
Simakan
Bremer
Pavlovic

The defenders are out there. We just need to be able to identify the right fit for the club.

I think we could bring in Simakan and Pavlovic to battle it out for RCB and both would cost 70m combined.

I didn't mean you aren't a big club, you are. But you don't have the pull you had in the 00's or 90's where frankly... you were the only show in town in England.

You have a big pull.... just not THAT big currently. When's the last time a top player rejected other clubs for you? You are now relying on signing young kids (for too much), no marks from the Dutch league or past it players from Madrid.

Okay pal :lol:

What a silly and misinformed post.

What is silly and misinformed about it? We don’t have the same pull at the moment so he’s not wrong
Tell me ONE player in the past few years that has rejected a move to Man Utd. We could go another 3 years without winning anything and we'd still have more pull than Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

He's not wrong though.
What is silly and misinformed about it? We don’t have the same pull at the moment so he’s not wrong

When was the last time a top player came to United?

We now sign young players for too much money, no marks from the Dutch league or past it players from Madrid?

Okay…

I won’t be taking lectures on United from an Everton fan thanks. Least not nonsense like that.

We now sign young players for too much money, no marks from the Dutch league or past it players from Madrid?

Okay…

I won’t be taking lectures on United from an Everton fan thanks. Least not nonsense like that.
We got one good season out of Varane, Casemiro and Ronaldo

Antony - overpaid no mark from Dutch league
VDB - overpaid from Dutch league

the record is out on the others apart from perhaps Martinez

you’ve got your red tinted glasses on lad

Okay…

I'm not an Everton fan, I'm a United fan. It's the reality though that our pull has dropped significantly, though it can return relatively easily. Right now we are struggling to attract top players/talents if certain other teams are interested, and we are struggling to attract managers.

SJR expressed admiration for how Real are run. I wouldn’t be surprised if we put the onus on Branthwaite to tell Everton he wants to leave and ask them to negotiate with United. Only thing that might move the needle. A total Real Madrid move. And if Everton still don’t budge at all, just walk away.

We got one good season out of Varane, Casemiro and Ronaldo

Antony - overpaid no mark from Dutch league
VDB - overpaid from Dutch league

the record is out on the others apart from perhaps Martinez

you’ve got your red tinted glasses on lad

Ronaldo wasn’t bought from Madrid. Varane was good bar injuries. In honesty I could pick all of that apart but I won’t bother.

We’ve also signed players like Bruno Fernandes amongst others who have been, and remain to be, successes.

We’ve also won several trophies and played CL football on multiple occasions since Sir Alex retired.

Branthwaite has agreed terms with United and wants the move. The club he’s currently at last lifted silverware in 1995. Forgive me if I’m not too enamoured listening to nonsense like that.

Ronaldo wasn’t bought from Madrid. Varane was good bar injuries. In honesty I could pick all of that apart but I won’t bother.

We’ve also signed players like Bruno Fernandes amongst others who have been, and remain to be, successes.

We’ve also won several trophies and played CL football on multiple occasions since Sir Alex retired.

Branthwaite has agreed terms with United and wants the move. The club he’s currently at last lifted silverware in 1995. Forgive me if I’m not too enamoured listening to nonsense like that.
Bruno didn’t have big teams after him though, unless you count spurs.

branthwaite signed a new contract with Everton only last season and said at the time that he wanted to stay. I’m sure that if he thought that if he had to leave then United would be a good place to go. I’m sure that most British players would think the same unless city came into it.

foreign players of potential we’ve missed out on a few - camavinga for one. Spain will always have that pull, but United could have a stronger pull once they sort their house out. Unless the player is a United fan like Hojlund.

see nothing wrong with what he wrote. You’ve over reacted

Tell me ONE player in the past few years that has rejected a move to Man Utd. We could go another 3 years without winning anything and we'd still have more pull than Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Gakpo binned u off for Liverpool.
John obi Mikel claimed kidnapping to get out of you for Chelsea.

You don't have more pull currently than the 3 you've mentioned. In theory you should Chelsea, no idea how they are so attractive to be honest.

SJR expressed admiration for how Real are run. I wouldn’t be surprised if we put the onus on Branthwaite to tell Everton he wants to leave and ask them to negotiate with United. Only thing that might move the needle. A total Real Madrid move. And if Everton still don’t budge at all, just walk away.
Even Suarez didn't do that to Liverpool to force a move, I am not sure why Branthwaite will want to do that. He can run down his contract for sure. Utd is also not Real Madrid.

Even Suarez didn't do that to Liverpool to force a move, I am not sure why Branthwaite will want to do that. He can run down his contract for sure. Utd is also not Real Madrid.

You’re right. There’s no way Real would still have the allure United hold if they’d spent a decade being as shite as we have.

Before Abramovich's chelsea takeover, only Utd could offer high salary and consistently challenge for title back then. Now City, Chelsea and Liverpool can match Utd on salary, and the opportunity to win a trophy is not any less. so you are not wrong.

Everton might have financial problems, but they're still a 'rich' club relatively speaking. They don't have to sell for less than their valuation.
A lot of online United fans don't seem to realise that.

Tweets on X seem to suggest Villa and Everton selling player from each other to circumvent PSR rules, is it possible?

Tweets on X seem to suggest Villa and Everton selling player from each other to circumvent PSR rules, is it possible?

Yeah it's already been discussed.

Selling each other an academy player for £10 million to bank the profit now.

Ronaldo rejected city, sancho rejected chelsea, onana rejected chelsea, hojlund rejected psg…

That's the biggest loophole Chelsea have exploited brilliantly in recent years.

So is this just at a stalemate now? We’ve given the offer and now we discuss elsewhere and see if anything happens near the end of the month when PSR kicks in?

We need to pass on a couple of prospects till the market knows that we won’t be taken to the cleaners. We have been operating like we have an unlimited supply of money, primarily due to the stupid comments by Woodward early in his tenure. It will take 2-3 years for our image to improve and for us to be seen as hard and no-nonsense negotiators.

I am totally ok to play kids from the academy instead of overpaying for players.

So is this just at a stalemate now? We’ve given the offer and now we discuss elsewhere and see if anything happens near the end of the month when PSR kicks in?
I think we're sensible to walk away to be honest. They want silly money, we can get better, cheaper.