Jarrad Branthwaite

Nothing to do with Leeds, FFP wasn't brought in by the English, it was European. Real, Barca, the big Italian clubs and the traditional big English clubs were all being outbid by Chelsea and they didn't want any more Chelseas, so they brought in rules to try and stop that happening. The 'help poorer clubs' stuff was pure spin to deceive the naive. The likes of Real didn't give a toss about Leeds, they just wanted to win competitions, as we did too.

The rise of Blackburn wasn't forgotten by those English clubs incidentally, they didn't want any more of those either.
I believe the truth is in-between though. Spanish and Italian clubs were also blowing up like Portsmouth and Leeds.. But of course the top dogs would craft the rules in a way that would benefit them.

I believe the truth is in-between though. Spanish and Italian clubs were also blowing up like Portsmouth and Leeds.. But of course the top dogs would craft the rules in a way that would benefit them.
Fairer than what I said to be honest. I was wrong to say 'nothing to do with Leeds' but I do believe it to be naive to think that was the driving force.

When was the last time we were so prudent over a transfer fee, I genuinely don't remember.
I think we've haggled quite a few times over the years but the difference is we usually go back with an offer of desperation or just sheer persistence when they call our bluff (Fellaini, Sancho, Maguire). We've just been very bad at it and then end up lurching to an extreme. Hopefully we'll be better at transfer business under INEOS.

We brief this about every player and eventually pay up. Antony, Mount, Martinez, Hojlund etc just in the past few years. City are the only club who actually walk away.
We have different decision makers now. One of them is from City and the other that's arriving in a couple of weeks was also at City. Think we might start to see a trend. Ratcliffe and INEOS know we've been played too many times in the transfer market, it's going to take us walking away from a few deals because of fees for clubs to start to take us serious as hard negotiators again.

If Everton don't come down off their valuation then I can see us walking away. There's no way we're spending £70M on one player when we have so many needs to address and it's not like we are stuck for options at centre back. We seem to have a solid list of alternatives.

https://archive.ph/5Qzr6

United made an initial bid of £43million, consisting of a £35million fixed sum with £8million in add-ons, for the 21-year-old defender, but the Merseyside club value their player at £70million. Negotiations are continuing but United will not rush to make another bid, believing that Everton need to be more realistic with their pricing.
Unless a compromise can be reached United are likely to focus on other targets, including the Lille defender Leny Yoro, although they would face competition for the 18-year-old from Real Madrid and Liverpool.

Everton doing us a favour. He just isn't good enough for a big move yet, he needs another couple of seasons at Everton. Now it's over to the lad to play it smart and refuse to sign another contract so he can get his move in a couple of years with no fuss.

Everton doing us a favour. He just isn't good enough for a big move yet, he needs another couple of seasons at Everton. Now it's over to the lad to play it smart and refuse to sign another contract so he can get his move in a couple of years with no fuss.

Difference being if he has a good season this year that price goes up to 80-90m then.

clearly it looks like Todibo was our #1 target for the CB position and UEFA fecked us over

£70m for this lad is nonsense....you are paying for potential that may or may not every come to fruition so there is no reason we should get taxed like that

£35+8 was the initial offer that was rejected...i suspect they may go back with 45+10 as a take it or leave it offer

what i do like is that they are fecking finally working on multiple transfers at the same bloody time

Difference being if he has a good season this year that price goes up to 80-90m then.
That's why I said he needs to be smart and not sign a new contract. They won't want to lose him for free so it will be easier to bring them to the negotiating table.

I mean... i think you are living in the past a bit. Going to the 8th best side in England with a manager who you've only kept because all your targets rejected you...

is NOT a big move

That's why I said he needs to be smart and not sign a new contract. They won't want to lose him for free so it will be easier to bring them to the negotiating table.

He signed a new contract last summer. If he has a good season, and you are still miles away he will go to a better club than the current Utd

This works if the interested party is Real Madrid. It works really well for them.

Why was he even a target if you couldn't buy him? The UEFA rule came in before INEOS bought into Man United.
de Ligt is a more realistic target. Bayern is willing to sell him. I doubt he will be cheap either.

I mean... i think you are living in the past a bit. Going to the 8th best side in England with a manager who you've only kept because all your targets rejected you...

is NOT a big move

Hopefully next season's docked points finish you off finally.

is NOT a big move

It might be in his eyes. We still regularly compete for (and win) cup trophies at the very least despite not being where we'd want to be. It's not just as simple as 8th best in England either, as there are multiple mitigating factors, as you'd know being the 15th best.

Hopefully next season's docked points finish you off finally.

No need for this.

As Jizza Jackson said, I think 60mil will get it done. Say £50m guaranteed on the books and £10m in various add ons

is NOT a big move

It would still be a big move. A massive club with an enormous global fanbase and the pressures that come with that. It’s a tougher environment than Everton that’s for sure.

I don't mind us walking away, but I do wonder where we turn to with JB and Todibo both being nonstarters and Yoro being willing to twerk for Madrid.

Diomande time anyone?
I mentioned him a couple of times yesterday but he has an insanely high release clause around €80m I think and there has been no indication yet that Sporting are willing to entertain any offers for him this summer. I would love him here though.

I can see why the club prefers Branthwaite though as he helps with the homegrown rule too.

He signed a new contract last summer. If he has a good season, and you are still miles away he will go to a better club than the current Utd

This is absolutely fair enough.

If he has a very good season his stock will only rise and there might be other clubs in for him too. Although that still depends if the other clubs actually need him.

is NOT a big move
This is not.

It's still a big move for the player himself to move from Everton to Manchester United. For starters he's about to triple his wages. That is a reason alone for majority of the players. There's also the thing of the global fan base which increases his profile in terms of endorsements and stuff like others have mentioned.

is NOT a big move

Christ the Everton fan cope :lol:

No matter how much you want to deny it, United is still one of the biggest clubs in the world with huge pull. We've been horrid for a decade and still have huge pull. Get over yourself

It might be in his eyes. We still regularly compete for (and win) cup trophies at the very least despite not being where we'd want to be. It's not just as simple as 8th best in England either, as there are multiple mitigating factors, as you'd know being the 15th best.

No need for this.

I found his comment pretty disrespectful, but noted.

I like the looks of Pavlovic and he seems a bit similar to Branthwaite? Would probably cost 1/3 of what we'd have to pay for the Everton lad.

I mentioned him a couple of times yesterday but he has an insanely high release clause around €80m I think and there has been no indication yet that Sporting are willing to entertain any offers for him this summer. I would love him here though.

I can see why the club prefers Branthwaite though as he helps with the homegrown rule too.
Isn't €80m just about £60 and if he is the better player then it will be worth it and still £10m cheaper. We still need a physical beat in the heart of that defence to compliment Martinez. We are better off paying the RC for Diomande than be seen to be bowing to Everton's demands.

Isn't €80m just about £60 and if he is the better player then it will be worth it and still £10m cheaper. We still need a physical beat in the heart of that defence to compliment Martinez. We are better off paying the RC for Diomande than be seen to be bowing to Everton's demands.
Think it's around £68m but still we have to pay it all in a single payment as it's a release clause and there have been no indications if hes on the market or if Sporting are even willing to negotiate a deal that can be done in installments. I don't think we have that much money to pay without installments.

The thought has crossed my mind as well. It's unlikely, but it could be a shrewd move to try to set a precedent and show things are going to be very different than under the previous administration.

If I was them I would do this. Put in low offers for one or two players that we would like to sign but aren't at the top of our list of priorities. Then sign them for cheap if we get lucky or otherwise refuse to go higher then start the negotiations for our main targets.

Think it's around £68m but still we have to pay it all in a single payment as it's a release clause and there have been no indications if hes on the market or if Sporting are even willing to negotiate a deal that can be done in installments. I don't think we have that much money to pay without installments.
We did have a good relationship with Sporting and we could work out the financing arrangements with banks or something like that. We can't really half arse in this position with Varane gone, we need a real leader, a dominant player.

If they want to keep him - they can. I wouldn't be too bothered. There have to be some good, young prospects that would cost half the amount.

If they want to keep him - they can. I wouldn't be too bothered. There have to be some good, young prospects that would cost half the amount.

Exactly, its not like he is something special where we HAVE to get him. There are many other CB's for 40m that are similar or better level than him.

Funny thing about this place sometimes is that if the tweet was about United agreeing a fee you'd all doubt the source and say it's fake and that you'll wait for Ornstein or Fabrizio to say it but when it's negative news you all lap it up regardless of the source.