Jarrad Branthwaite

It would be an important and positive sign to walk away from this deal if Everton is not willing to negotiate. We've been taken for a ride for way too long, it's time for it to change if we're to become competitive again.

50 +10 in add-ons is reasonable. Good season in the prem and a decent one beforehand in the Dutch league.

50 +10 in add-ons is reasonable. Good season in the prem and a decent one beforehand in the Dutch league.
£50-55 million is a fair deal. Not sure why people want us to move on when he would be a great addition.

£50-55 million is a fair deal. Not sure why people want us to move on when he would be a great addition.

I agree, all in for the INEOS taking a chance at these younger players with promise and the club have done well to express interest before he's had a really impactful season.

Revisit this thread in two years and if he's still developing it will be littered with quotes about enquiries from the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc.

We complain United aren't competitive for targets and it's typically because of timing, similar thing happening with Zirkzee which is reminiscent of the club signing someone like Alexander Isak before when he was at Sociedad compared to moving to the league.

It feels like we are wasting our time here frankly. They won't let him go for a knockdown price and we won't offer anywhere near their valuation. He's probably worth £50m, they think it's £70m and we think it's £35m, we're not going to meet halfway.

They need to come to the negotiating table first. If the player doesn't agitate for a move and they don't need the 50-60m they'd get from his sale then it's hard to get them to do that.

If that's really their stance then fair play and move on to other targets.

Because he is not the only CB that would be a great addition. In a summer with lots of holes to patch, value is a major consideration.

Reminiscent of the Martinez/Antony deals.

Our first target unattainable (Todibo) so we then go next on the list, bid what we feel is fair but it gets rejected, we threaten to walk away but there's no other options available so we go back in for him and pay over the odds.

hopefully these guys have a bit more negotiating acumen than to blow a large chunk of cash on this lad

55 really should be the max. If they don’t want to accept that - fair enough but move on. This United tax nonsense needs to end

55 really should be the max. If they don’t want to accept that - fair enough but move on. This United tax nonsense needs to end
Its not even about United tax. I wouldn't sell him if i didn't need to. If he develops as they seem pretty confident he will then they'll get a crazy fee for him, keeping him around for a couple of years in the mean time is a nice bonus. There's no good reason to accept a fair or reasonable offer.
It'll be the same for every premier league club. Ipswich we could possibly bully a bit but you can forget about most teams.
Also briefing we'll move on to other targets isn't a threat. They'll probably think 'great'. Unrelated to what your saying but just thought i'd throw it out there.

Fun fact. Branthwaite is actually right footed and says so himself. Its because he’s just as good with his left that people assume he’s left footed. He can definitely partner with Lisandro.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is done on purpose to show that we are not willing to pay other the top like we did in the past.

We probably had Todibo lined up as a replacement, but now that UEFA threw a spanner in the works, we might have to move to plan B. De Ligt?

Our first target unattainable (Todibo) so we then go next on the list, bid what we feel is fair but it gets rejected, we threaten to walk away but there's no other options available so we go back in for him and pay over the odds.
I really do hope not.

CB is - I'd argue - the position with the least scarcity at the moment. There are tons of very promising CBs with the right age profile dotted about Europe that we could choose from.

When you look at other transfer fees paid for centre backs I don’t see why Everton would be willing to accept less than 70m for him. I am sure prices are going to have to drop as teams can’t keep spending at current rates but that’s only going to happen if teams walk away from deals.

If we aren’t prepared to pay 70m then we need to move on to other targets.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is done on purpose to show that we are not willing to pay other the top like we did in the past.

We probably had Todibo lined up as a replacement, but now that UEFA threw a spanner in the works, we might have to move to plan B. De Ligt?
We were just joking about that. Appear to go for a couple of high profile players we're not really too bothered about but would have paid the OTT asking price for in the past, deliberately put in offers that we know wouldn't be accepted then walk away saying the United tax days are over. Next week go for the real targets with the message out there. Smart stuff. :cool:

Fun fact. Branthwaite is actually right footed and says so himself. Its because he’s just as good with his left that people assume he’s left footed. He can definitely partner with Lisandro.

When did he say that? Every site on the internet has him down as predominantly left-footed.

Not that I think it's a huge concern as nobody seems to have a problem with two right-footers playing together.

When did he say that? Every site on the internet has him down as predominantly left-footed.

Not that I think it's a huge concern as nobody seems to have a problem with two right-footers playing together.

I know what the poster is referring to - a mistake in an Athletic article. But Branthwaite literally said the opposite to Everton's club media.

“I am left-footed, but I’ve got a five-star weak foot on the new FIFA!” he says with a humble but beaming smile as if to hint there is some truth to the claim. As the topic is pushed further, it’s clear he is comfortable on both sides. “If I’m hitting a long pass, I’ll go with my left; short passes with my right.”

The Athletic just quoted the second half of that and erroneously said the exact opposite of the first three words.

Because he is not the only CB that would be a great addition. In a summer with lots of holes to patch, value is a major consideration.

Sure, but there aren't many left in his tier of prospect if we assume Yoro waits for Madrid and Todibo can't be bought. You then are stuck buying De Ligt and praying, having to jump a price tier and pay a huge fee just to get quality in, or go bargain shopping for patch work players or those who don't quite fit.

It's a difficult situation for a position that is our main priority at the moment.

I like the looks of Pavlovic and he seems a bit similar to Branthwaite? Would probably cost 1/3 of what we'd have to pay for the Everton lad.

I read Serbian sports news, as I understand the language. He said that he is trying to tailor his game on Nemanja Vidic.

These posts, and you're not the only one to make them, are so weird? Different structure, different era. At least wait to see how the new regime do things before moaning about something that hasn't even happened yet?

I like the looks of Pavlovic and he seems a bit similar to Branthwaite? Would probably cost 1/3 of what we'd have to pay for the Everton lad.
Pavlovic would be an instant fan favourite too. I'd like to see us try to get him, good on the ball and very aggressive. He just needs to time things a bit better but that will probably come with experience.

We did have a good relationship with Sporting and we could work out the financing arrangements with banks or something like that. We can't really half arse in this position with Varane gone, we need a real leader, a dominant player.
Diomande is a big talent, but his current ability is still very underwhelming, and he isn't ready to be a week in, week out starter for a club the size of Manchester United. I think he would be better off staying at Sporting for at least another year.

He is very inexperienced; I don't think he has even made 50 senior appearances yet.

If we bring him in alongside another more experienced defender, then that could work.

Our opening offer is already attractive. Using Gordon’s transfer fee as reference (40 + 5 mil), our offer is 35+8. It’s already reasonable. Gordon is offensive, creative player. It commands higher fee than defenders.

50-55m suggests he has some serious potential then. You think he’s good enough to be a consistent starter for the team we want to be? I’m just wary of us stockpiling okay talent for 50/60/70m. For around 50-60m we’ve seen teams sign Bruno / Rodri / B Silva / Martinez and many more quality players. We shouldn’t overpay for talents the way we did for Hojlund last summer out of desperation.

On to the next one? Who’s the next one that’s cheaper than £70m which are better?
I don't want us to bargain shop, but I want us to find the right centre back and for the right price.

I would be happy with Branthwaite for 55 million, I think he is a really good defender. But I wouldn't go to 70m for him. However, I would pay 70m for Tapsoba who I think is the exact profile of defender we need.

Our opening offer is already attractive. Using Gordon’s transfer fee as reference (40 + 5 mil), our offer is 35+8. It’s already reasonable. Gordon is offensive, creative player. It commands higher fee than defenders.

That's a fair point to consider, remembering as well that the Gordon deal was done in January when prices tend to be inflated.

Everton's counter to that would probably be that left-footed defenders are a lot more rare than inverted left wingers and that defenders have recently gone for very big fees.

But probably more relevant here is the fact that Gordon only had 18 months on his contract at the time Everton sold him and he was actively pushing for a move. Branthwaite has 3 years on his deal and isn't (yet).

That's a fair point to consider, remembering as well that the Gordon deal was done in January when prices tend to be inflated.

Everton's counter to that would probably be that left-footed defenders are a lot more rare than inverted left wingers and that defenders have recently gone for very big fees.

But probably more relevant here is the fact that Gordon only had 18 months on his contract at the time Everton sold him and he was actively pushing for a move. Branthwaite has 3 years on his deal and isn't (yet).

Also the fact that every fan was happy to let Gordon leave because he didn't suit our side and was nowhere near the level that Branthwaite was for us.

People keep using whatever reference they want to try and argue that it's a 'fair' deal but at the end of the day, we as a club do not think it's fair and that's all that matters.

Last edited: