Jarrad Branthwaite

So with Todibo off the cards I guess we're all in on Branthwaite (or maybe De Ligt).

Why is Todibo off the cards? I really rate Branthwaite but question if him and Martienz works as a pairing. Unless we worried about Martinez injury record last season. De Ligt would be overpriced

Why is Todibo off the cards? I really rate Branthwaite but question if him and Martienz works as a pairing. Unless we worried about Martinez injury record last season. De Ligt would be overpriced
Check the Todibo thread. Issues with multi-club ownership.

So with Todibo off the cards I guess we're all in on Branthwaite (or maybe De Ligt).

There's also Guehi. I guess we could pretend that Yoro is still a possibility.

Or maybe there's another name that the media haven't got wind of yet. It's happened before.

Or maybe there's another name that the media haven't got wind of yet. It's happened before.
The fee difference between Guehi and Branthwaite is minimal, given both Everton and Crystal Palace are EPL club and won't sell their quality players cheaply. Shop in France or other market if you want value.

Diomande maybe? I don't know if Sporting are willing to sell him(and for a reduced fee as he also has a high release clause) but if we can get him for around 50m then we should be all over it.

The fee difference between Guehi and Branthwaite is minimal, given both Everton and Crystal Palace are EPL club and won't sell their quality players cheaply. Shop in France or other market if you want value.

I was just totting up who we've been linked with by reliable sources. But with Guehi, the price is reported to be £65m. If you're starting there instead of the £75m+ Everton see as fair value, that's a decent bit closer to what we appear to be willing to spend.

Ironically, Guehi has less experience as a RCB than Branthwaite does, so that could be kind of fun.

We were linked with the two Leverkusen defenders last summer - could be a reignition there maybe?

I was just totting up who we've been linked with by reliable sources. But with Guehi, the price is reported to be £65m. If you're starting there instead of the £75m+ Everton see as fair value, that's a decent bit closer to what we appear to be willing to spend.

Ironically, Guehi has less experience as a RCB than Branthwaite does, so that could be kind of fun.

We were linked with the two Leverkusen defenders last summer - could be a reignition there maybe?
It is just what the market is right now given the TV deals in EPL. There is no "value" in EPL unless there is a release clause. You need to pay up or shop elsewhere.

It is just what the market is right now given the TV deals in EPL. There is no "value" in EPL unless there is a release clause. You need to pay up or shop elsewhere.

Well, yeah. This is a thing that is known.

Well, yeah. This is a thing that is known.
From their perspective it will cost them 30 to 40m (£30m Harry Maguire to west ham last summer) to get an adequate replacement for a starting CB. So the math isn't right for them to sell theirs for 50m, unless the player's contract is expired soon.

From their perspective it will cost them 30 to 40m (£30m Harry Maguire to west ham last summer) to get an adequate replacement for a starting CB. So the math isn't right for them to sell theirs for 50m, unless the player's contract is expired soon.

Who are we talking about sorry? Guehi? I think Palace have earmarked his replacement already - they're very proactive. Ronnie Edwards was who they wanted in January and they'd probably go back in for him again this summer at under £15m.

Guehi isn't looking likely to sign a new deal and has two years remaining, which is why his reported price is lower than Everton's valuation of Branthwaite - there are fears he may run his deal down or at the very least be worth a low fee next summer. Branthwaite, on the other hand, signed a contract during the season gone.

Looks like we are buying an academy player from villa for £10m... And selling one to villa for the same.

We can book the £10m as profit on this year's books and then ammortize the fee paid over 5 years.

One FFP swizz. Would see us absolutely clear for PSR

According to Swiss Ramble we should be fine for PSR but it also looks like we are negotiating with Villa to do a PSR dodgy trade deal with Dobbin going their way and Tim Iroegbunam coming our way.

Long story short, it seems that we may well be truthful all along regarding not needing to sell and it isn't posturing.

Looks like we are buying an academy player from villa for £10m... And selling one to villa for the same.

We can book the £10m as profit on this year's books and then ammortize the fee paid over 5 years.

One FFP swizz. Would see us absolutely clear for PSR
According to Swiss Ramble we should be fine for PSR but it also looks like we are negotiating with Villa to do a PSR dodgy trade deal with Dobbin going their way and Tim Iroegbunam coming our way.

Long story short, it seems that we may well be truthful all along regarding not needing to sell and it isn't posturing.

You lot must have enjoyed the points deductions last season :lol:

Maybe Dyche feels the squad need the extra motivation.

What a load of horseshit the PSR rules are. As @SilentWitness said in other thread, all of Aston Villa's deals this summer have been focused around PSR. Dodgy deals with Chelsea, Juventus and now Everton. :lol:

What a load of horseshit the PSR rules are. As @SilentWitness said in other thread, all of Aston Villa's deals this summer have been focused around PSR. Dodgy deals with Chelsea, Juventus and now Everton. :lol:
Yep..I hate that football has become like this.

The rules as an idea are great, nobody wants the state clubs to just be able to buy everybody or smaller clubs with mental owners going bust when they spend far beyond their means.

They absolutely need to close some of the accountancy gimmick loopholes around player swaps though, like they did for the Chelsea 8 year contract thing. A good rule of thumb to apply to any football lawmaking is probably just to look at whatever shady shit Juve are up to this week and ban it.

The rules as an idea are great, nobody wants the state clubs to just be able to buy everybody or smaller clubs with mental owners going bust when they spend far beyond their means.

They absolutely need to close some of the accountancy gimmick loopholes around player swaps though, like they did for the Chelsea 8 year contract thing. A good rule of thumb to apply to any football lawmaking is probably just to look at whatever shady shit Juve are up to this week and ban it.
Newcastle have incredibly rich owners but absolutely no movement to flex it. Moshiri was a very wealthy man. Same with Villa. It’s incredibly hard for these guys to spend beyond their means. The rules were never meant to stop them going crazy and bankrupt, it was to stop them superseding the ‘old money’.

When it was the traditional big clubs spending big nobody cared but as soon as it was someone else, it’s a problem. It’s in the league’s best interest to protect certain clubs from the injection of new money (if it’s not going to said clubs).

I’m sorry but that’s just what it looks like from the outside looking in. Doesn’t help that it’s now just effectively a siphon for big clubs to get players on the cheap.

Anyway, we still may sell Branthwaite if the right offer comes in, but our stunt with Villa may remove that phantom PSR deadline of the 30th June.

Don't really agree with this. The advantage of Dyche-ball is that you can plug in a solid but limited Prem CB or a decent young one from the Champo. I think they'd do that and invest most of the money elsewhere (RB, winger, CM, #10).

Anybody prefer the look of guehi?
He’s definitely better than Branthwaite based on the current level right now. But there is a concerned whether we should go for him due to his aerial duel might not be his strongest point to pair with Martinez.

But at this point I would take him. I think he’s a class centre back. Underrated in football community. Palace probably set high price but we might be able to bring it down if we offer Bissaka as part of the deal.

From a FFP point of view, it makes sense. Could be wrong but I think Everton need to balance their books by 30 Jun. Selling Branthwaite for 50m is pure profit, while buying someone outside for the same price is only 10m amortization a year. Net is a 40m surplus to show in the books.

From a FFP point of view, it makes sense. Could be wrong but I think Everton need to balance their books by 30 Jun. Selling Branthwaite for 50m is pure profit, while buying someone outside for the same price is only 10m amortization a year. Net is a 40m surplus to show in the books.
It seems like their FFP situation is not as bad as it has been reported earlier. They are apparently trying to manage by selling some academy players to Aston Villa for an inflated fee(who are returning the favor to Everton). With their club sale also now being agreed, they probably don't need to sell Branthwaite at all.

Newcastle have incredibly rich owners but absolutely no movement to flex it. Moshiri was a very wealthy man. Same with Villa. It’s incredibly hard for these guys to spend beyond their means. The rules were never meant to stop them going crazy and bankrupt, it was to stop them superseding the ‘old money’.

When it was the traditional big clubs spending big nobody cared but as soon as it was someone else, it’s a problem. It’s in the league’s best interest to protect certain clubs from the injection of new money (if it’s not going to said clubs).

I’m sorry but that’s just what it looks like from the outside looking in. Doesn’t help that it’s now just effectively a siphon for big clubs to get players on the cheap.

Anyway, we still may sell Branthwaite if the right offer comes in, but our stunt with Villa may remove that phantom PSR deadline of the 30th June.

I'm sorry but how old/young are you? This is not to put you down, but this helps to give some context to myself and others in your views.

Injection of money was never an issue. When Jack Walker first took over Blackburn Rovers back in 1991 and started breaking transfer records all over the place for the likes of Shearer and Sutton nobody talked about "financial fair play".

The reason for the emergence of FFP is largely due the implosion of Leeds Utd. You might have remember them in the early 1990s as a solid top 6 club, and eventually being considered a force in EPL and Europe around late 1990s to early 2000s. What happened then was that they massively overspend, and took on massive loans against "future earnings" in prize money from European and EPL success. When the success didn't come, the club was heavily in debt and had to be put on administration, imposing strict wage restrictions and selling off almost all their players. (We got Rio out of this, luckily for us). It was so bad that "Doing a Leeds" became a lexicon for football clubs financial mismanagement. They were not the only club, but were definitely the most famous case study. This lead to the emergence of some form of financial rules and restrictions to prevent a repeat.

Of course, subsequently a few clubs were bought by sugar daddies such as Chelsea by Abramovich and Fulham by Mohd Al-Fayed. They spent massively, distorting the transfer market and made it difficult for any other clubs outside of elite few to compete and sign players within financial means. Chelsea in particular also started hoarding players, not just top players but also potential future stars (because they can), and this led to serious concerns about the competitiveness of football, and that the game as a whole would be much worse off. Imagine, at one point of time they can afford to spend 7million (a huge sum back then) on a very young KdB and afford to not have him in the first or 2nd team. There was also concern that the rich owners might ditch the club one day and saddled the club with a lot of financial commitments in the form of transfer fee instalments, player salaries etc. that they couldn't reasonably pay without the owner's deep pocket, leading to another Leeds Utd.

And thus the FFP. On one hand, it certainly look like it's protecting the elite clubs, but these rules are also what made it possible for other clubs to sign good players (because no club can now hoard tons of players without breaking FFP), making it possible for the emergence of the likes of Brighton and the likes of Leicester City to win EPL.

Last edited:
Michael Keane is on 80k pw
Holgate is on 70k pw
Godfrey is on 77k pw

Those are their other centre backs sitting on the bench. With those wages plus their financial issue, they should be playing as starter for Everton. Either they sell them (which it will be difficult with those wages) or they make them as their regular CB and sell Branthwaite.

He looks really gangly. Is he brilliant in any of the following areas - aerially, mobility or quality on the ball? As his highlights don’t look impressive.

He looks really gangly. Is he brilliant in any of the following areas - aerially, mobility or quality on the ball? As his highlights don’t look impressive.
Except maybe in the air, he doesn't stand out in anything. Good defender overall without some bigger weakness but at the same time he is not someone who will give a boost to whole defence. Decent pace, decent passing, decent technique, decent positioning.

Except maybe in the air, he doesn't stand out in anything. Good defender overall without some bigger weakness but at the same time he is not someone who will give a boost to whole defence. Decent pace, decent passing, decent technique, decent positioning.
Exactly, he’s a young player with great potential.

I'm sorry but how old/young are you? This is not to put you down, but this helps to give some context to myself and others in your views.

Injection of money was never an issue. When Jack Walker first took over Blackburn Rovers back in 1991 and started breaking transfer records all over the place for the likes of Shearer and Sutton nobody talked about "financial fair play".

The reason for the emergence of FFP is largely due the implosion of Leeds Utd. You might have remember them in the early 1990s as a solid top 6 club, and eventually being considered a force in EPL and Europe around late 1990s to early 2000s. What happened then was that they massively overspend, and took on massive loans against "future earnings" in prize money from European and EPL success. When the success didn't come, the club was heavily in debt and had to be put on administration, imposing strict wage restrictions and selling off almost all their players. (We got Rio out of this, luckily for us). It was so bad that "Doing a Leeds" became a lexicon for football clubs financial mismanagement. They were not the only club, but were definitely the most famous case study. This lead to the emergence of some form of financial rules and restrictions to prevent a repeat.

Of course, subsequently a few clubs were bought by sugar daddies such as Chelsea by Abramovich and Fulham by Mohd Al-Fayed. They spent massively, distorting the transfer market and made it difficult for any other clubs outside of elite few to compete and sign players within financial means. Chelsea in particular also started hoarding players, not just top players but also potential future stars (because they can), and this led to serious concerns about the competitiveness of football, and that the game as a whole would be much worse off. Imagine, at one point of time they can afford to spend 7million (a huge sum back then) on a very young KdB and afford to not have him in the first or 2nd team. There was also concern that the rich owners might ditch the club one day and saddled the club with a lot of financial commitments in the form of transfer fee instalments, player salaries etc. that they couldn't reasonably pay without the owner's deep pocket, leading to another Leeds Utd.

And thus the FFP. On one hand, it certainly look like it's protecting the elite clubs, but these rules are also what made it possible for other clubs to sign good players (because no club can now hoard tons of players without breaking FFP), making it possible for the emergence of the likes of Brighton and the likes of Leicester City to win EPL.
Good job I was talking about PSR which were introduced in 2013 then.

Leicester won because of incredible scouting and an off season by City. Oh by the way Leicester are probably going to get a deduction this year as a result of them trying to kick on after winning the league.

Whatever spin the league want to put on it, ‘it’s to protect smaller clubs’, ‘we don’t big clubs hoarding!’, it’s all just front for the actual reason, as evidenced clearly in their ‘enforcement’. Funny, they only actually stopped the multiple loan rule recently. They did an awful job enforcing those alleged ‘anti-hoard’ rules prior. They were more than happy to hand out massively disproportionate deductions to us then one to Forest though. Hmmmm.

Nothing to do with Leeds, FFP wasn't brought in by the English, it was European. Real, Barca, the big Italian clubs and the traditional big English clubs were all being outbid by Chelsea and they didn't want any more Chelseas, so they brought in rules to try and stop that happening. The 'help poorer clubs' stuff was pure spin to deceive the naive. The likes of Real didn't give a toss about Leeds, they just wanted to win competitions, as we did too.

The rise of Blackburn wasn't forgotten by those English clubs incidentally, they didn't want any more of those either.

Nothing to do with Leeds, FFP wasn't brought in by the English, it was European. Real, Barca, the big Italian clubs and the traditional big English clubs were all being outbid by Chelsea and they didn't want any more Chelseas, so they brought in rules to try and stop that happening. The 'help poorer clubs' stuff was pure spin to deceive the naive. The likes of Real didn't give a toss about Leeds, they just wanted to win competitions, as we did too.

The rise of Blackburn wasn't forgotten by those English clubs incidentally, they didn't want any more of those either.
Ironically, Chelsea also voted in favour of it so it really was pulling up the ladder behind us.

Which thread is it? I'm keen to read... I was wondering how long it would take for clubs to start doing this kind of thing.

Just the transfer tweet thread.

But the summary is

- Villa trying to offload Luiz to Juventus and take McKennie and Iling from them.
- Villa trying to offload Dhuran to Chelsea and taking Maatsen from them.
- Villa trying to offload Iroegbunam to us and take Dobbin from us.

All to help each other out in terms of PSR.

Just the transfer tweet thread.

But the summary is

- Villa trying to offload Luiz to Juventus and take McKennie and Iling from them.
- Villa trying to offload Dhuran to Chelsea and taking Maatsen from them.
- Villa trying to offload Iroegbunam to us and take Dobbin from us.

All to help each other out in terms of PSR.
Ah - thank you!

Yeah it's interesting one and I thought Barca and Juve got done for something similar with Arthur and Pjanic, but can't really remember what for.

I think there is probably also some loophole to be exploited if two clubs exchanged 2 players each, one youth snd one senior player, but flipping the transfer values... because investment in the youth team doesn't count.

Anyway as said in the thread - well intentioned rules, but easy to game.