Jarrad Branthwaite

No, the value is what is set by the selling club. They are the one who the player is contracted to (and he’s on a big one).

It doesn’t matter at all if they were good deals, no matter how much you want to convince yourself. The only thing that matters is the precedence set by the prices.

He’s not pushing for a move, and respectfully, if he were to push for a move, it won’t be for United.

Everton are entitled to ask for what they want however I suspect they know they won’t get £80m. Much like United’s offer it’s all posturing.

Reports state the player has agreed terms and wants the move so I suspect a deal will be done that suits both clubs in the middle or with a large chunk of add ons.

No, the value is what is set by the selling club. They are the one who the player is contracted to (and he’s on a big one).

It doesn’t matter at all if they were good deals, no matter how much you want to convince yourself. The only thing that matters is the precedence set by the prices.

He’s not pushing for a move, and respectfully, if he were to push for a move, it won’t be for United.
Thats totally fair. I think we will move on if Everton set a ceiling that we find unreasonable.

I think Evertons financial position is somewhat precocious until new owners get settled. If they're OK for this month's PSR deadline then all good. We would move on since they'd be very much price makers in that scenario.

Never signed up to a rival forum before out of respect but reading some of the brain dead takes on Twitter and bashing my head against a wall talking to someone called ‘Anthonysleftthigh’, I’m here to give my 2 cents instead.

The minimum asking price is genuine market value. Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire all went for circa £70/80 million - you don’t get to complain about market rates when you directly contributed to skewing it. If anything, £60 million is slightly under value considering the profile of the player. If Southgate wasn’t a colossal -insert horrific insult of your choice here-, then he’d be with the England squad right now.

He is one of Everton’s most valuable assets and utterly integral to the defence. Was instrumental in keeping us up. He is also a major asset for any prospective owner and could affect those negotiations. Selling him could legitimately have an adverse effect on new owners bidding if the squad is seen to be being stripped. Also the financial situation isn’t as bad as being made out by the media desperate to hound middle clubs (and ignore the bigger ones). If anything, we’re preparing to sell Onana for a price that will comfortably cover us for this season. There is no desperation to sell Branthwaite.

To the ‘never watched him play a game in my life’ crew who are suddenly experts after the highlight videos (not a criticism, we do it plenty in our forum too), I cannot overstate how good this guy is. He clears how good Stones was at his age, and he went for £50mil before the market went bonkers. None of it makes it to the highlight videos but he can very much carry the ball into midfield when given license to, he’s not an exclusively ‘backs to the wall defender’. Genuinely left footed and a physical freak. Exceptional injury record too, can’t remember last game he missed that was a 10 card suspension. You’re getting your starting defender for the next 10 years here and ripping out one of the major pieces of our team, just remember that when it comes to the ‘ridiculous’ valuation.

I’m sure there are excellent alternatives that may end up being better or cheaper, but that’s for your scouting department to figure out. I can only wish them the best of luck as it’s one of the hardest jobs in football.

Anyway, that’s one of my 3 posts a day so sadly can’t engage with arguments with anyone. Am here purely with the intent to give a different perspective. On a very unrelated note, I was thrilled to see Mainoo called up to the England squad.

Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire and the like hardly covered themselves in glory for the price tag.

The new Rio Ferdinand is Leny Yoro not your player.

Thats totally fair. I think we will move on if Everton set a ceiling that we find unreasonable.

I think Evertons financial position is somewhat precocious until new owners get settled. If they're OK for this month's PSR deadline then all good. We would move on since they'd be very much price makers in that scenario.

I think the have until the 30th June to raise funds

No that's the price. He's your player and you can demand whatever price you like. The market and his perceived value will determine whether or not other clubs are prepared to pay that price.

You seem very confident that he won't push for a move to us. Time will tell if you're correct.

Never signed up to a rival forum before out of respect but reading some of the brain dead takes on Twitter and bashing my head against a wall talking to someone called ‘Anthonysleftthigh’, I’m here to give my 2 cents instead.

The minimum asking price is genuine market value. Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire all went for circa £70/80 million - you don’t get to complain about market rates when you directly contributed to skewing it. If anything, £60 million is slightly under value considering the profile of the player. If Southgate wasn’t a colossal -insert horrific insult of your choice here-, then he’d be with the England squad right now.

He is one of Everton’s most valuable assets and utterly integral to the defence. Was instrumental in keeping us up. He is also a major asset for any prospective owner and could affect those negotiations. Selling him could legitimately have an adverse effect on new owners bidding if the squad is seen to be being stripped. Also the financial situation isn’t as bad as being made out by the media desperate to hound middle clubs (and ignore the bigger ones). If anything, we’re preparing to sell Onana for a price that will comfortably cover us for this season. There is no desperation to sell Branthwaite.

To the ‘never watched him play a game in my life’ crew who are suddenly experts after the highlight videos (not a criticism, we do it plenty in our forum too), I cannot overstate how good this guy is. He clears how good Stones was at his age, and he went for £50mil before the market went bonkers. None of it makes it to the highlight videos but he can very much carry the ball into midfield when given license to, he’s not an exclusively ‘backs to the wall defender’. Genuinely left footed and a physical freak. Exceptional injury record too, can’t remember last game he missed that was a 10 card suspension. You’re getting your starting defender for the next 10 years here and ripping out one of the major pieces of our team, just remember that when it comes to the ‘ridiculous’ valuation.

I’m sure there are excellent alternatives that may end up being better or cheaper, but that’s for your scouting department to figure out. I can only wish them the best of luck as it’s one of the hardest jobs in football.

Anyway, that’s one of my 3 posts a day so sadly can’t engage with arguments with anyone. Am here purely with the intent to give a different perspective. On a very unrelated note, I was thrilled to see Mainoo called up to the England squad.

It's an understandable and sensible post from your point of view. However, there are several factors involving this potential deal.

First off, I don't understand the references to Maguire or the other ones mentioned - if anything it shows that those was nowhere near being worth it (jury still out on Fofana) for the buying club. And the comparison the journo made to Gvardiol was even more stupid. John Stones looked a better football player and he took his time and the coaching of Guardiola to reach his potential.

The current market also makes it harder for clubs (unless you are Chelsea) to go crazy for players. You also need cash and we are nowhere near being able to splash out 80m upfront like with Maguire. Also we have a new team in charge now, led by a CEO who has gone on record to highlight the importance to walk away from too risky and costly deals.

He might be worth more to you, but is he really in the VvD bracket of running a defence? He doesn't look like that for me, even if he got potential. Also there are seemingly several solid options out there for us in the 35-45m bracket (Todibo, MdL, Yoro etc.), which means we don't have to be desperate now.

Other than that, cheers for signing up!

Yeah, thats how i see it.
I expect our opening offer would have been higher if their opening price had been lower. 55-60m as a midpoint kind of seems the range where both clubs are getting an ok deal and won't feel like total mugs.

a small club like everton should be over the moon that we’re interested in one of their academy players. the exposure and twitter engagements little everton are getting with this transfer shows that they should be giving united branthweight (sp) away for free. it will encourage other youngsters to want to play for lowly everton, knowing that it might lead to them hitting the big time. you’ll then be able to sell some of the ones that don’t make it to lesser clubs, like palace or villa. that would be when this transfer pays for itself.

:lol:

I can’t see Everton selling him for less than 70m which is too much money so I hope we move on to other options. I think he is a good player with lots of potential but given how much work the squad needs I wouldn’t be spending that much on a CB.

That’s a good post and welcome to the forum. It’s good to hear from an Everton fan on this topic and I’m sure we can come to a suitable compromise somewhere in the 50-60m ballpark.

Oh and don’t bite on @rimaldo. He’s clearly just on the wind up.

Jeezo mate, it was just a little joke. Cheer up.
I didn't really mean to be as rude as it came across :lol:

I just hate all the new lingo - I must be getting on

Is it just me, or has the British media decided that United will pursue a British core, and all successful players from other teams are "on the list"? Toney, Branthwaite, etc.

That, combined with players from Nice and other teams in the French league, is all because of the "knowledge" gained from years as owners of Nice.

So, first, it was Ten Hag's players for two years, and now it's Ineos's players.

I feel so sorry for the scouting department at United if the media's views are correct.

My view on Branthwaite is that he is just an average British defender with potential. I do think that our own Kambwala is at the same level.

It's just you. You're talking pure shite if you even entertain the idea that our scouts haven't spotted and recommended one of the mostly highly rated defenders in world.

I’m fine with this deal if it doesn’t exceed the £45m but I’m pretty certain Everton won’t accept that that amount.

Just find this deal so uninspiring - there are so many better options (many of which are probably cheaper), but hey, Branthwaite’s English so…

Arsenal have enquired for Onana. If we need to sell someone it will be him

I'm not sure why people are responding to @grandoldqueen as if he's the one setting the price or the market.

There are 3 separate taxes that are just unavoidable 1) English player 2) PL proven/experience and 3) the buyer being Utd. This will add another £10-20m easily. The same way we saw with Mount.

Genuine weakness is that he relied a bit too much on recovery pace and long strides to bail him out of a misjudged tackle high up. He does have that ability to recover, but it WILL bite him on the bum eventually. He had a very reliable partner next to him in Tarkowski and I worry that if that stability is removed it could have an adverse effect. I know United had some consistency issues with partnerships. It’s a legitimate worry.

I have no issues with his ability to play higher, he’s deceptively good on the ball, a lot of his very good forward passes were wasted on our bums. He’ll make mistakes by virtue of the fact he’s young but you know when you go ‘he’ll never be able to play higher up, he’s a bit of a dog’? Yeah, there’s none of that with him. I hate to compare him to VVD but that’s what he could aspire to be eventually talent wise.

…do you fancy buying another Onana instead to help us out?

Nice one mate. I'll take your words with a pinch of salt of course as I need to see it with my own eyes in this team but thanks for chiming in and offering your perspective. I think Martinez and possibly Maguire (if he stays) fits that profile of 'reliable' partner but yes it will remain to be seen with our transfer dealings and injuries next season. Interesting to hear about his ball playing and ability to play in a higher line!

As for Onana, another player I've not seen much of but according to a few here, he could be a good player for us :confused:

Clubs are getting docked points and fined for breaching FFP rules. Most clubs are now operating within a budget. I don’t think Everton fans are ridiculous to think £70m is justified, given some of the mental prices that have been paid for players in recent years of ever escalating transfer fees. But I genuinely think we have already hit peak transfer value, and there is going to be some reduction in prices paid for players outside of the very best.

Berrada has a reputation for having limits on player values and being generally sensible, and I don’t think we’ll go to Everton’s £70m for Branthwaite, just like City didn’t go to £80m for Maguire. It’ll be up to Everton ultimately, on whether the £50-£55m or so (inc add ons) we end up at, is worth it to them.

Oh and don’t bite on @rimaldo. He’s clearly just on the wind up.

you clearly don’t understand the value of exposure. i have a youtube channel that i can recommend to you (many have said it’s university level qualification,) which will teach you business jargon and practices that will give you the skills necessary to become a millionaire/top shagger. slide into my pms for details.

Pretty embarrassing that.
I remember Ed Woodward (the genius himself) offering you guys a bid for both Baines AND Fellaini for a combined fee of about 21 million which you dismissed as derisory. You must be sick of us and our negotiating tactics :lol: . I'm hoping we do better than the Fellaini transfer this time

I think English defenders are underrated by default. He is a very good defender who has been on City's and Madrid's radar as well as ours. He has great potential, and it should not be dismissed just because he is English, has a boring name and looks like your local plumber.

I wonder if people would rate Leny Yoro as much if his name was Stephen Adams who played for Brentford. He looks really good on the ball, but defensively, Branthwaite is quite clearly superior right now who is also playing in a much tougher and pacier league. Impossible to say who will turn out the better player, but saying Branthwaite is the next Maguire and Yoro is the next Varane is ridiculous.

A decent opportunistic signing for the right price, considering Everton's financial issues. But please, no more than 50M.

Time to see what Matt Hargreaves is made of, and if he’s learned anything from the Mason Mount farce. I get the logic behind a low ball offer, to try and meet in the middle, but having a number of public bids going up in increments until it’s accepted makes us look weak in a sense. Say what your price is, if Everton say no then call it a day.

He's likely not really making the final decisions.

It's been proven though that Maguire was a horrible overpay and on the flip side there are others like White, Stones, Cucurella that went for ~50M which is why most consider (+20% on top) ~60M fair. You talk about potential but 80M was Gvardiol money who has done a lot more by the time he moved to City and was one of Europe's hottest targets. To me it's clear that no one in their sane mind will value him close to Gvardiol for potential that might never materialize.

Our initial offer was 45M. The asking price before today was ~70M. Meeting around 60M seems reasonable.

Just to add to that, Chilwell only cost a little over 40 million as well.

The cherrypicking with Fofana and Maguire is happening but Gvardiol (77M), Maguire (80M), Van Dijk (75M), Fofana (70M), Lucas Hernandez (68M), De Ligt (67.5M) are the datapoints we have for defenders that went anywhere close to 70M.

6 CBs in the history of the game. There's the English tax and there's the English tax. De Ligt after the season he's had with Ajax was chased by so many clubs. We're the only ones in for Branthwaite. As much as I'd like to see him here, just go find someone else if Everton play hardball.

I don't see how you look at one good defender and just immediately say pay close to the world record or no bueno.

I didn't really mean to be as rude as it came across :lol:

I just hate all the new lingo - I must be getting on
Based.

No cap, get with the woke, they’ve got ridiculous rizz.

(flying blind as a 34yr old trying to use these words, no idea if it makes any sense)

He's likely not really making the final decisions.
When it comes to the max amount we’re willing to pay it won’t be, but it’ll be his job to get it as low as possible. If we have the max value around £55 million, I just see starting off at £35 and making bids going up in 5 million increments up until that point as counter productive, the first and final offer shouldn’t have that much variance.

Yeah people have been saying this for a decade, yet we still have more than enough pull for all of these players that DO end up pushing for us. Perks of being a huge club even if we are shit

I'd go 45m tops and would prefer us to pursue other targets if they don't budge.

This is a quite important negotiation. Ineos needs to show people we're not mugs in the market now.