Jarrad Branthwaite

Maybe this is a highly sophisticated plot to end up justifying a similar bid for Todibo at the club they already own. Or they are banking on Everton really being desperate. Third option is the media are making up the 70-80m figure, which I think is even further fetched.

Ridiculously low offer and no change so far on the nonsense transfer dealings of the past.

Fair opening bid. I would propose them 50m plus 10m add ons and move on if they reject.

I think there are a lot of good CBs out there for 40-60m, we cant spend 80m on one this summer.

Why is it ridiculous to be compared to Gvardiol?

How many of us here actually can say hand on heart that we saw how the guy was at RP Leipzig because we actually watched them play?

I thought the guy was good because he was highly rated in the press, in video games and people talking about him on forums.

The same applies for Branthwaite, how many of us have actually watched Branthwaite week in week out? Judging from the comments comparing him to Maguire...a lot haven't.

How many of us here actually can say hand on heart that we saw how the guy was at RP Leipzig because we actually watched them play?

I thought the guy was good because he was highly rated in the press, in video games and people talking about him on forums.

The same applies for Branthwaite, how many of us have actually watched Branthwaite week in week out? Judging from the comments comparing him to Maguire...a lot haven't.

The comparison isn't necessarily regarding ability either.

What gets me is we will have to bid more for unproven Branthwaite than we would ever get for either Sancho or Greenwood.

What gets me is we will have to bid more for unproven Branthwaite than we would ever get for either Sancho or Greenwood.

A young premier league english defender costing more than a winger who hasnt' done shit for 3 season and an 'alleged' rapist? Well...yeah.

Today’s market is drastically different from even last year. PSR means there’s very few clubs with the cash to spend 60M on a young center back with one good senior season under his belt.

Which is a double-edged sword for us as on the one hand we can play hardball with Everton for Branthwaite and hold the transfer fee down to perhaps 50m, but on the other hand we won't get much at all for the players we need to offload such as Sancho.

What do you think his weaknesses are?

What about his comfortability playing in a high line, against speedier players in 1 vs 1, general reading of the game in open spaces (i.e without other defenders in his vicinity), passing when pressed and composure etc?

Cheers for coming in.

I've not too bothered about the price, the market is what it is for an English player with PL experience.

Genuine weakness is that he relied a bit too much on recovery pace and long strides to bail him out of a misjudged tackle high up. He does have that ability to recover, but it WILL bite him on the bum eventually. He had a very reliable partner next to him in Tarkowski and I worry that if that stability is removed it could have an adverse effect. I know United had some consistency issues with partnerships. It’s a legitimate worry.

I have no issues with his ability to play higher, he’s deceptively good on the ball, a lot of his very good forward passes were wasted on our bums. He’ll make mistakes by virtue of the fact he’s young but you know when you go ‘he’ll never be able to play higher up, he’s a bit of a dog’? Yeah, there’s none of that with him. I hate to compare him to VVD but that’s what he could aspire to be eventually talent wise.

…do you fancy buying another Onana instead to help us out?

All the people complaining about it being a low ball offer must not know how negotiations work. United don't expect to pay only 43 million, they knew it'd be rejected, but it's a starting point, that's how it works. It'll get done somewhere in the middle of both clubs valuations.

Probably not many. But I'd say loads of us can say hand on heart that we watched Gvardiol excelling for Croatia at Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022.

Probably not many. But I'd say loads of us can say hand on heart that we watched Gvardiol excelling for Croatia at Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022.

Where I think we can all say is a completely poor representation of someone's club abilities.

See: Shaqiri, Barros, Poborsky, etc etc etc

Genuine market value is what a buyer is prepared to pay. It's been skewed in recent years because Chelsea and ourselves are fecking eijits, as illustrated by the examples you provided above.

Aside from the fact Chilwell and Maguire were established England internationals for two years before making their big money moves, none of those 3 signings can be categorically called a success or good value for the price paid. No sensible club would've paid as much for any of them, and our new part owners are clearly looking to move in a more sensible direction.

So you're left with Chelsea as the only side left who would possibly pay that much money for Branthwaite. If they don't, and you guys are sure he's going to be happy being priced out of a big move, and you guys can raise the money your need to balance the books elsewhere, then that's a win for you.

For us it's not a smart deal at the money. Had he gone to the Euro's and had a stormer then perhaps, but at this stage of his development it wouldn't be right for us, or for the lad to put that £70/80m label on him.
No, the value is what is set by the selling club. They are the one who the player is contracted to (and he’s on a big one).

It doesn’t matter at all if they were good deals, no matter how much you want to convince yourself. The only thing that matters is the precedence set by the prices.

He’s not pushing for a move, and respectfully, if he were to push for a move, it won’t be for United.

Fair opening bid. I would propose them 50m plus 10m add ons and move on if they reject.

I think there are a lot of good CBs out there for 40-60m, we cant spend 80m on one this summer.

Immediately jumping from £35+8m to £50+10m is not the way to negotiate.

Which is a double-edged sword for us as on the one hand we can play hardball with Everton for Branthwaite and hold the transfer fee down to perhaps 50m, but on the other hand we won't get much at all for the players we need to offload such as Sancho.
Think there’s a reason we are asking 40M each for him and Greenwood. With Greenwood, Getafe have a 20% sell clause for rehabbing his value.

Where I think we can all say is a completely poor representation of someone's club abilities.

See: Shaqiri, Barros, Poborsky, etc etc etc

Shaqiri had a decent career. Barros and Poborsky were one hit wonders that nobody knew about beforehand and never should've been signed off the back of one tournament.

Everybody knew about Gvardiol - he was being raved about and loads of top clubs were looking at him. Then he backed up an impressive debut tournament at the Euros with a starring role as Croatia got to the semi finals of the World Cup. You can't compare that to bloody Poborsky.

Well Gvardiol did have a brilliant world cup before joining City (Argentina semi aside). He has also played both lb and cb at a high level for a number of years. Everton fans want 80 mill for Branthwaite but called us ridiculous last season for valuing Mctominay at 40. Mctominay is more of a 40 mill player than Branthwaite is an 80.

I rate Branthwaite, I've seen a lot of him and prefer him over Guehi for England but that price tag is just as bad as offering 35 for him.

Last edited:

I watched him whole career. Gvardiol is and was generational talent. Complete defender who was with 18y first choice in NT. Gap between those two in quality and potential is huge.

His transfer thread was huge on here coming off that WC performance where he was one of the shining young stars, he wasn't an unknown quantity at all.

Everton would be mad to sell him at prices around that level. Keep him until the end of next season and if he keeps developing you are looking £80mill.

Let us hope they are, loads of potential this lad.

Because you can't only expect to spend on starters and have your backups all be cheap options, that's how you end up in 8th place getting ran through every weekend after a couple of injuries. Martinez had an entire year of injury issues, and realistically if we bring in JB and Yoro or Todibo then that's 3 quality CB options for 2 spots with all of them getting ample playing time.

Think it was a bit more than a couple. Actually, to be precise, we had to rely on our 5th and 6th choice centre backs, which even the likes of City, Arsenal and Liverpool would struggle with.

I also mentioned price because we have other priorities, and if rumours are to be believed, it'd be odd to spend 100 plus million on two centre backs when we need other players.

Is it just me, or has the British media decided that United will pursue a British core, and all successful players from other teams are "on the list"? Toney, Branthwaite, etc.

That, combined with players from Nice and other teams in the French league, is all because of the "knowledge" gained from years as owners of Nice.

So, first, it was Ten Hag's players for two years, and now it's Ineos's players.

I feel so sorry for the scouting department at United if the media's views are correct.

My view on Branthwaite is that he is just an average British defender with potential. I do think that our own Kambwala is at the same level.

Time to see what Matt Hargreaves is made of, and if he’s learned anything from the Mason Mount farce. I get the logic behind a low ball offer, to try and meet in the middle, but having a number of public bids going up in increments until it’s accepted makes us look weak in a sense. Say what your price is, if Everton say no then call it a day.

Think there’s a reason we are asking 40M each for him and Greenwood. With Greenwood, Getafe have a 20% sell clause for rehabbing his value.

The good news is that we have several players to offload who have some market value, Sancho and Greenwood. Prospective buyers know that we're desperate sellers, however, and I doubt we'll actually get 40m for either, let alone each. Fingers crossed we get 25m for each, which I would take in the end and move on. I'm not sure what the thinking is these days on Maguire and McTominay, as I believe at least that each is a decent squad player but other the other hand it may well be time to move both on and if we could get 25m for each that's reasonable business. I would contact prospective buyers for Rashford as he's clearly unsuited to the style of play ETH is trying to build and now that we've committed to ETH let's commit to his project. We should be able to get 60m for Rashford. Do all that and we can undertake some serious retooling of the squad, whose collective performances last season was shocking in the extreme and at least I regard ETH as being a very lucky man for not getting sacked.

When City buy players, the first you hear of it is when the deal is done. Maybe it’s because of brown envelopes but it only seems to be Utd that the press give us a bid by bid account.

Never signed up to a rival forum before out of respect but reading some of the brain dead takes on Twitter and bashing my head against a wall talking to someone called ‘Anthonysleftthigh’, I’m here to give my 2 cents instead.

The minimum asking price is genuine market value. Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire all went for circa £70/80 million - you don’t get to complain about market rates when you directly contributed to skewing it. If anything, £60 million is slightly under value considering the profile of the player. If Southgate wasn’t a colossal -insert horrific insult of your choice here-, then he’d be with the England squad right now.

He is one of Everton’s most valuable assets and utterly integral to the defence. Was instrumental in keeping us up. He is also a major asset for any prospective owner and could affect those negotiations. Selling him could legitimately have an adverse effect on new owners bidding if the squad is seen to be being stripped. Also the financial situation isn’t as bad as being made out by the media desperate to hound middle clubs (and ignore the bigger ones). If anything, we’re preparing to sell Onana for a price that will comfortably cover us for this season. There is no desperation to sell Branthwaite.

To the ‘never watched him play a game in my life’ crew who are suddenly experts after the highlight videos (not a criticism, we do it plenty in our forum too), I cannot overstate how good this guy is. He clears how good Stones was at his age, and he went for £50mil before the market went bonkers. None of it makes it to the highlight videos but he can very much carry the ball into midfield when given license to, he’s not an exclusively ‘backs to the wall defender’. Genuinely left footed and a physical freak. Exceptional injury record too, can’t remember last game he missed that was a 10 card suspension. You’re getting your starting defender for the next 10 years here and ripping out one of the major pieces of our team, just remember that when it comes to the ‘ridiculous’ valuation.

I’m sure there are excellent alternatives that may end up being better or cheaper, but that’s for your scouting department to figure out. I can only wish them the best of luck as it’s one of the hardest jobs in football.

Anyway, that’s one of my 3 posts a day so sadly can’t engage with arguments with anyone. Am here purely with the intent to give a different perspective. On a very unrelated note, I was thrilled to see Mainoo called up to the England squad.

a small club like everton should be over the moon that we’re interested in one of their academy players. the exposure and twitter engagements little everton are getting with this transfer shows that they should be giving united branthweight (sp) away for free. it will encourage other youngsters to want to play for lowly everton, knowing that it might lead to them hitting the big time. you’ll then be able to sell some of the ones that don’t make it to lesser clubs, like palace or villa. that would be when this transfer pays for itself.