Jarrad Branthwaite

Never signed up to a rival forum before out of respect but reading some of the brain dead takes on Twitter and bashing my head against a wall talking to someone called ‘Anthonysleftthigh’, I’m here to give my 2 cents instead.

The minimum asking price is genuine market value. Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire all went for circa £70/80 million - you don’t get to complain about market rates when you directly contributed to skewing it. If anything, £60 million is slightly under value considering the profile of the player. If Southgate wasn’t a colossal -insert horrific insult of your choice here-, then he’d be with the England squad right now.

He is one of Everton’s most valuable assets and utterly integral to the defence. Was instrumental in keeping us up. He is also a major asset for any prospective owner and could affect those negotiations. Selling him could legitimately have an adverse effect on new owners bidding if the squad is seen to be being stripped. Also the financial situation isn’t as bad as being made out by the media desperate to hound middle clubs (and ignore the bigger ones). If anything, we’re preparing to sell Onana for a price that will comfortably cover us for this season. There is no desperation to sell Branthwaite.

To the ‘never watched him play a game in my life’ crew who are suddenly experts after the highlight videos (not a criticism, we do it plenty in our forum too), I cannot overstate how good this guy is. He clears how good Stones was at his age, and he went for £50mil before the market went bonkers. None of it makes it to the highlight videos but he can very much carry the ball into midfield when given license to, he’s not an exclusively ‘backs to the wall defender’. Genuinely left footed and a physical freak. Exceptional injury record too, can’t remember last game he missed that was a 10 card suspension. You’re getting your starting defender for the next 10 years here and ripping out one of the major pieces of our team, just remember that when it comes to the ‘ridiculous’ valuation.

I’m sure there are excellent alternatives that may end up being better or cheaper, but that’s for your scouting department to figure out. I can only wish them the best of luck as it’s one of the hardest jobs in football.

Anyway, that’s one of my 3 posts a day so sadly can’t engage with arguments with anyone. Am here purely with the intent to give a different perspective. On a very unrelated note, I was thrilled to see Mainoo called up to the England squad.

Reactions: SilentWitness
Cheeky swap offer. Maguire for Branthwaite straight swap.

This would actually be a smart counter offer.

When they reject it, we just say "but you said you rate them in the same bracket?".

I guess the best thing to do now is sit on this for a week and wait until Everton start to panicking a little? Depends how fecked by PSR they really are

I guess the best thing to do now is sit on this for a week and wait until Everton start to panicking a little? Depends how fecked by PSR they really are

Yep the reasonable thing to do is to wait for a counter offer from Everton. If they still say 70M or get the feck out we genuinely need to move on to other candidates. A week seems reasonable to make up their minds.

Never signed up to a rival forum before out of respect but reading some of the brain dead takes on Twitter and bashing my head against a wall talking to someone called ‘Anthonysleftthigh’, I’m here to give my 2 cents instead.

The minimum asking price is genuine market value. Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire all went for circa £70/80 million - you don’t get to complain about market rates when you directly contributed to skewing it. If anything, £60 million is slightly under value considering the profile of the player. If Southgate wasn’t a colossal -insert horrific insult of your choice here-, then he’d be with the England squad right now.

He is one of Everton’s most valuable assets and utterly integral to the defence. Was instrumental in keeping us up. He is also a major asset for any prospective owner and could affect those negotiations. Selling him could legitimately have an adverse effect on new owners bidding if the squad is seen to be being stripped. Also the financial situation isn’t as bad as being made out by the media desperate to hound middle clubs (and ignore the bigger ones). If anything, we’re preparing to sell Onana for a price that will comfortably cover us for this season. There is no desperation to sell Branthwaite.

To the ‘never watched him play a game in my life’ crew who are suddenly experts after the highlight videos (not a criticism, we do it plenty in our forum too), I cannot overstate how good this guy is. He clears how good Stones was at his age, and he went for £50mil before the market went bonkers. None of it makes it to the highlight videos but he can very much carry the ball into midfield when given license to, he’s not an exclusively ‘backs to the wall defender’. Genuinely left footed and a physical freak. Exceptional injury record too, can’t remember last game he missed that was a 10 card suspension. You’re getting your starting defender for the next 10 years here and ripping out one of the major pieces of our team, just remember that when it comes to the ‘ridiculous’ valuation.

I’m sure there are excellent alternatives that may end up being better or cheaper, but that’s for your scouting department to figure out. I can only wish them the best of luck as it’s one of the hardest jobs in football.

Anyway, that’s one of my 3 posts a day so sadly can’t engage with arguments with anyone. Am here purely with the intent to give a different perspective. On a very unrelated note, I was thrilled to see Mainoo called up to the England squad.
It's a depressed market due to PSR. He is just under the Stones level so 40m seems a fair price.

That’s ok mate, for 80 m you can keep him. Nobody will pay that, not even us

Reasonable if slightly biased post. He isn't worth £80 million, but likewise he's worth a fair bit more than the opening offer. Today has just been two sides setting out their opening stall for negotiations and I'd expect a deal to be done somewhere in the middle. It's entirely your prerogative not to sell if we don't meet a realistic valuation.

If we end up paying 60+ then that's us not being serious again.

Ideally, we just move on and show them that we can't be pushed over again by ridiculous demands.
This. Moving on will show we mean business and will let other clubs know we ain’t messing about negotiating ridiculous prices.

Why do so many of you say 'move on' at the first sign of any resistance every transfer window?

Because we never do, and we've spent the last 10 years trying to negotiate while staying at the table and getting rinsed by clubs who know we're bluffing.

It's not until we show other teams that we are actually prepared to walk away, that they'll start taking negotiating with us seriously.

Is he even that good? Having watched his YouTube compilation he does indeed look a promising talent but compared to some of the others you guys are being linked with I don’t think he’s as good.

He appears to love going to ground a lot to make sliding tackles and doesn’t look great on the ball (though okay).
He’s a big gamble. I’d say at best a 50/50 chance he turns out to be good enough for a top club.

It’s the same nonsense we’ve seen every transfer window over the last decade where as soon as we’re seriously linked with a player half the caf loses their minds and decides they’re a certainty to be a good signing.

He’s a gamble, even at £40m.

Yeah that's fair I hope you lot keep him to be honest, I like Everton and always want you to stay up. United should be taking a more sensible approach and utilising the scouting department more.

We put in 45m, they want 70-80M. I'm sticking to my initial prediction of 50M + 10M as the price he goes for.
That could maybe happen. £60m all inclusive, realistic incentives and add-ons. Maybe offer Amad on loan for a season if he agrees and they want him as I reckon he is quite unlikely to see playing time.

What do you think his weaknesses are?

What about his comfortability playing in a high line, against speedier players in 1 vs 1, general reading of the game in open spaces (i.e without other defenders in his vicinity), passing when pressed and composure etc?

Cheers for coming in.

I've not too bothered about the price, the market is what it is for an English player with PL experience.

That could maybe happen. £60m all inclusive, realistic incentives and add-ons. Maybe offer Amad on loan for a season if he agrees and they want him as I reckon he is quite unlikely to see playing time.

Nah. No more loans for Amad, either start playing the kid or sell him. I’d personally like to see the former, I think he’s a real talent but I’m not sure ETH feels the same way.

His name is too close to Martin Braithwaite for him to be good enough for United.

#analysis

Genuine market value is what a buyer is prepared to pay. It's been skewed in recent years because Chelsea and ourselves are fecking eijits, as illustrated by the examples you provided above.

Aside from the fact Chilwell and Maguire were established England internationals for two years before making their big money moves, none of those 3 signings can be categorically called a success or good value for the price paid. No sensible club would've paid as much for any of them, and our new part owners are clearly looking to move in a more sensible direction.

So you're left with Chelsea as the only side left who would possibly pay that much money for Branthwaite. If they don't, and you guys are sure he's going to be happy being priced out of a big move, and you guys can raise the money your need to balance the books elsewhere, then that's a win for you.

For us it's not a smart deal at the money. Had he gone to the Euro's and had a stormer then perhaps, but at this stage of his development it wouldn't be right for us, or for the lad to put that £70/80m label on him.

I joked that it must be an Ineos signing as he hasn’t played in the eridivise

Turns out he has. Erik will be all over this then I take it

No bid - we're just strongly interested and his price is 50m, if I'm not mistaken.
He is likely Real bound anyway.

It might - who knows. We have a few spinning plates but I wonder how priorities change if one of them come to fruition.
If we go for Chaloboah then it could be a view for RB coverage as well as CB.

Just think it seems obvious between all of the CB links, reports that our priority is CB, and just looking at the squad on paper as well as reviewing last season and how poor our CB depth is in general.

You do realise that PL clubs need to have a certain amount of players trained in the UK in their squad right, which is why when good British talent comes around it makes sense to go after them.
Given we're about to sell Greenwood, Sancho and possibly more homegrown players this summer we'll need to target some
Not only that but the lad is big, strong, quicker than Maguire, reasonably 2 footed as in he can play off either side. What’s not to like?

It's been proven though that Maguire was a horrible overpay and on the flip side there are others like White, Stones, Cucurella that went for ~50M which is why most consider (+20% on top) ~60M fair. You talk about potential but 80M was Gvardiol money who has done a lot more by the time he moved to City and was one of Europe's hottest targets. To me it's clear that no one in their sane mind will value him close to Gvardiol for potential that might never materialize.

Our initial offer was 45M. The asking price before today was ~70M. Meeting around 60M seems reasonable.

I'm not so convinced that Branthwaite is a good signing but I hope i'm wrong.

To me, it matters if we're only getting Branthwaite, who is left footed. Yes, he can use both - most professional footballers can. Actually, he identified that he plays short passes with his right and long passes with his left. I mean, all of our current centre backs can do that. For me, we need a specialist right footed centre back on the right.

With the Yoro bid, I'm hoping it means we're getting two centre backs, but then I'd argue why we'd be looking to spend so much on someone who could potentially be a back up.

Because you can't only expect to spend on starters and have your backups all be cheap options, that's how you end up in 8th place getting ran through every weekend after a couple of injuries. Martinez had an entire year of injury issues, and realistically if we bring in JB and Yoro or Todibo then that's 3 quality CB options for 2 spots with all of them getting ample playing time.

It's been proven though that Maguire was a horrible overpay and on the flip side there are others like White, Stones, Cucurella that went for ~50M which is why most consider (+20% on top) ~60M fair. You talk about potential but 80M was Gvardiol money who has done a lot more by the time he moved to City and was one of Europe's hottest targets. To me it's clear that no one in their sane mind will value him close to Gvardiol for potential that might never materialize.

That's fine though. As said, everything I've read from our side makes us sound like we are okay if we don't sell him this summer.

Anything over £50m we should walk away and pursue other targets. I like the sensible opening bid.