Jarrad Branthwaite

Everton have every right to demand a fee they deem suitable, just like United are allowed to lowball it. Especially when it is a value that is £40-45m more than some other options that we are supposedly targeting and when simply being "league proven" or English doesn't mean you overspend. I'm also not about the "Brexit FC" nonsense, if we sell English trained talent they need replacing for registration purposes. Just want the narrative of us continually overpaying to end.

Whilst the lad is a talent, the ceiling should be £45-50m on United's end.

Because everyone did it with Arsenal, you know after the 40 mill and 1 pound thing for a rivals best player, which was quite a lot worse....
I did say
"It is similar to Wenger's extreme low ball offer and refuse to acknowledge the market price. It does more harm than good."

Arsenal learned the lesson I believe.

I mean, it’s not really deluded these days, though. When you want a very young, very talented CB that plays for another PL club now you’ll have to pay a massive premium. Then you add the English player tax as well.

£50m seems like the baseline for this sort of player now.
How many young, English CB's have gone for more than £50m?

Such a low bid being made public could also piss off the other club so much that they’ll refuse to do business with you.

Rating him at £70m, so we decided to rate him at £35m.

1 full PL season
No European experience
Fairly young and unproven

£40-45 should be highest we pay, nothing wrong with starting £10m lower than what you are willing to pay?

I did say
"It is similar to Wenger's extreme low ball offer and refuse to acknowledge the market price. It does more harm than good."

Arsenal learned the lesson I believe.
And you sure struggled to bring in players since ?
I'm sure last summer teams refused to negotiate with you because you tried to lowball steal Brightons best midfielder close to the Jan transfer deadline day...

This is business mate, no club will refuse to do business with another based on the emotions and judgements of fans.

It may have been discussed already, but how have we agreed personal terms before we started negotiations with Everton and had agreement we can start? I thought that wasn't allowed but has probably changed now.

I mean, it’s not really deluded these days, though. When you want a very young, very talented CB that plays for another PL club now you’ll have to pay a massive premium. Then you add the English player tax as well.

£50m seems like the baseline for this sort of player now.

Yep £50m baseline fee -£10m because they are in financial trouble.

It is true.

He literally said these words -

"I think where United are at the moment, f**k it I’m gonna say it on camera. I think Woodward was worse for us than Munich."
Did you keep watching? He qualifies it afterwards trying to make his point.

It may have been discussed already, but how have we agreed personal terms before we started negotiations with Everton and had agreement we can start? I thought that wasn't allowed but has probably changed now.

Clubs can give permission to talk to the player while they still hash out the fee with the potential buyer.

And you sure struggled to bring in players since ?
I'm sure last summer teams refused to negotiate with you because you tried to lowball steal Brightons best midfielder close to the Jan transfer deadline day...

This is business mate, no club will refuse to do business with another based on the emotions and judgements of fans.
Since Edu is in charge the transfer business has been quite smooth. He didn't always get his target such as Mudryk, Sesko, but it has been pretty smooth I would say.

£35m as an outright bid is a bit of a pisstake but if taking into account add-ons, it reaches £45m, that's a reasonable starting point.

I must admit, I haven't seen enough of him to have any real conviction either way but from what I've read, £60m would probably be a reasonable price.

Clubs can give permission to talk to the player while they still hash out the fee with the potential buyer.

Cheers. It's unusual before first bid though, although I guess we could have been talking to them about a transfer for a while.

Yep £50m baseline fee -£10m because they are in financial trouble.

Everton themselves are stupid for trying to benchmark the fee based on a Maguire transfer that everyone and their dog knows was vastly overpriced and a rip off

£35m as an outright bid is a bit of a pisstake but if taking into account add-ons, it reaches £45m, that's a reasonable starting point.

I must admit, I haven't seen enough of him to have any real conviction either way but from what I've read, £60m would probably be a reasonable price.

So you haven't watched him to have enough conviction but yet you think £60m is reasonable?

How? He has had 1 PL season, no European experience.

He isnt the finished article with plenty of mistakes last season. Add to that, Everton are not in the best financial position, £35m is perfect bid.

How many young, English CB's have gone for more than £50m?
Maguire, Ben White, and Stones I believe. If you’re counting defenders in general you can add Chilwell and Kyle Walker. Might be others I’m forgetting.

Everton themselves are stupid for trying to benchmark the fee based on a Maguire transfer that everyone and their dog knows was vastly overpriced and a rip off

Exactly, they can use Maguire and Fofana to benchmark, United should just reply saying.. look how those transfers turned out.

We cannot be held hostage given that there are so many CB options. If we are to show clubs this is new United, bid until £50m, move onto other targets if that is rejected.

Some right stingy twats in here. We're going to need to pay £50-60m. Not £35m + £2m if he wins the ballon d'or.
Stingy or realistic? He's simply not worth that kind of money and we can get better for cheaper. Ideally he'll put in a transfer request.

Cheers. It's unusual before first bid though, although I guess we could have been talking to them about a transfer for a while.

I don't think it's that unusual (although perhaps in that we've agreed them so quickly).

This is standing operating procedure nowadays tbf

Clubs typically agree on personal terms with the player before finding an agreement with the selling club.

Everyone does that. It's done through intermediaries, so there's no direct tapping up. Clubs don't usually bother discussing transfers without already having some indication that the player is on board. Which is what made the FDJ agreement with Barcelona two years ago even more baffling.

None for more but Ben White and Stones went for 50m.

Both with more league experience than Branthwaite
Ben white played for Leeds in Championship, then back to Brighton in EPL for a year, then transferred to Arsenal. That 50m transfer was in 2021.

So you haven't watched him to have enough conviction but yet you think £60m is reasonable?

How? He has had 1 PL season, no European experience.

He isnt the finished article with plenty of mistakes last season. Add to that, Everton are not in the best financial position, £35m is perfect bid.
Based on what I've read and the market. I don't need to know much about him to know that can quite easily demand more than £35m. Young English player with a bit of hype, 1 season or not, £35m realistically is not getting you such a player.

Only just realized this is the same guy that played for PSV on loan last season and left far from a lasting impression in the Eredivisie.
Which is exactly my worry as we have a seasons worth of evidence that backs the notion that he struggles with front foot defending. The only thing going for him was that he was 19, but then you see Hato still shine in an even more disorganized and dysfunctional team :nervous:

Yep. We Chelsea fans have expericend it before. Happened between us and Spurs with Luka Modrić if I recall correctly, too.

Everton are probably thinking to themselves “this lot payed £80m for Harry Maguire. Why would we sell for significantly less than that?”

And that was years ago before the truly insane transfer fees of the last 3 years started popping off. He’s their biggest young talent. It would be like one of the big clubs going to Palace and offering £35m for Adam Wharton. Would probably take 70 for them to sell now.
And it was universally agreed it was a poor transfer in terms of value so if anything it's a bad idea to use the Maguire transfer as a bench mark.

Such a low bid being made public could also piss off the other club so much that they’ll refuse to do business with you.
Nah Everton love some of our deadwood. I have high hopes of at least two of our current crop wearing the blue come August.

They need to sell before June 30th and have no interest in Onana, so they definitely need to play ball.

40-45m is max I think we should be prepared to go before we consider other options

50m would be ok in my view. The important thing is that we walk away if Everton take the mick. It will make a massive difference to negotiations going forwards if we can change the perception we have one target and will just pay whatever is asked to get them.

Ben white played for Leeds in Championship, then back to Brighton in EPL for a year, then transferred to Arsenal. That 50m transfer was in 2021.
He was also 23 and an England international at that point who was included in the Euro squad that summer.

I remember you lot having multiple offers rebuffed as well first before coming to an agreement, they didn't shut down negotiations after the first few rejections did they?

Still haven't figured out whether he'd be coming in to play next to Martinez or as back up. I'd prefer the latter, but who knows what ten Hag has planned.

It’ll be done for 50 probably then. I’m glad we are at least trying to be sensible with the price.