Jarrad Branthwaite

Is it weird that I don’t like the way he runs? It’s like what Fergie said about Henderson running from the knees rather than the hips.

£40m tops.

I mean as much as I think Henderson is a tool I think it’s fairly obvious that Fergie got that one wrong.

I don't think having British players who understand the culture has had much if anything to do with City's success to be honest. Yes you could argue Stones and Foden make an impact, but neither strike me as real leaders, while you'd have a lot of space left on an A5 page if you wanted to write out the sum total of things Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish understand.

Their leadership spine over the years has come from the likes of Ederson, Kompany, Dias, Rodri, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, the two Silvas, Aguero and Haaland.

I didn't suggest it did.

We won't be overpaying for anyone by the looks of it, I do worry that we'll get shunned at every turn though and panic sets in end of the window.

Moyes summer window has scarred me.

Ratcliffe/Ineos made it very clear early on we won't be spending foolish amounts of money on players going forward.
I think clubs will soon realise Utd tax is a thing of the past now and if they want to do business they need to be realistic about their prices.

I said it in the Neves thread that he might be one for next summer and I wouldn't be surprised if Branthwaite ends up the same. All comes down to if Everton can really hold out for a high fee or if they end up coming down from their valuation.

70m is too high
35m is too low

Negotiating tactics on both sides. 50m seems about right with add ons included in that. Teams just can't pay the silly fees anymore.

No but when it's clear we have fed to the media we 'want 70-80m' to make a 35m bid public is just...pathetic.

Seems a very Arsene Wenger era offer. Might get a 2013 style response where the bids for Baines and Fellaini were deemed to be ‘derisory’.

Good, let's start low. They started ridiculously high so we should come is low.

I'm overthinking this, but this has all happened quite quickly and has been very public.

I'd love it to be the case that we're not interested in signing him at all but instead just doing a very public, performative exercise to showcase the fact that we're not willing to overspend anymore.

If that is the case (unlikely I know), we'll very publicly walk away soon.
These wild conspiracy theories man…… Jesus Christ almighty above

No but when it's clear we have fed to the media we 'want 70-80m' to make a 35m bid public is just...pathetic.

I mean asking for 80m for 21 year old who's had one good season so far is a bit ridiculous too, so it deserves such a bid in return. I'm sure they'll find some compromise

It's a good bid, reckon it could be done for 45-5 in add-ons strong upfront payment structure or 50 divisible over a series of payments.

I mean asking for 80m for 21 year old who's had one good season so far is a bit ridiculous too, so it deserves such a bid in return. I'm sure they'll find some compromise
Exactly

A 35m bid isn't any more ridiculous than their 70-80m valuation :lol:

When you look at well regarded defenders that moved within the PL to big six clubs over the last 3-4 years, 50-70m is the rough range.

Fofana - 70m plus add ons
Cucurella - 55m plus add ons
White - 50m

Given that a few years have passed since the Ben White fee and that Branthwaite also has the English/HG premium which the others did not, I don't think 60-70m would be out of step with the market.
Very similar to the Ben White deal. So the market price probably is 50m + inflation for a young talented english home grown CB.

Is it? Why? Should every club bend over for you if they have a player they don't want to sell?

Seems like we're moving fast this time btw

Yes it does.
I'm hearing of 2 bids gone in for Branthwaite today, the first day that the window officially opens.....
None of the old nonsense about monitoring or considering, action being taken it seems.

Is it? Why? Should every club bend over for you if they have a player they don't want to sell?

Sure but it seems like you do want to sell in this case and are posturing to get as much as possible out of the deal. Both sides are playing games. You'll get a decent fee in the end. There's some reasonable way to value football players based on market reference points and such. Neither side is stupid.

Sure but it seems like you do want to sell in this case and are posturing to get as much as possible out of the deal. Both sides are playing games. You'll get a decent fee in the end.

Not really. It just seems like a classic case of what Brighton have been doing over the past few seasons. We don't want to sell but if you want to buy them then you'll have to pay a premium fee.

Yes it does.
I'm hearing of 2 bids gone in for Branthwaite today, the first day that the window officially opens.....
None of the old nonsense about monitoring or considering, action being taken it seems.

I think the 45m bid the Daily Mail reported is fake...but yeah, I expected us to start making moves as soon as the manager situation was decided, which was just this Tuesday.

I don't think I've ever seen you post something positive.
I was buzzing with the FA Cup win. Not much else to be positive about regarding the club at the moment. I just see us repeating the same mistakes every year.

No one is suggesting that, but nor should every club expect us to match a clearly ridiculous valuation, you said so yourself earlier that you expect it to get done in the £60mil range so a low bid to state interest and as a start point of negotiating is expected no ?

We are allowed to bid whatever we want, and Everton can say no to whatever they want. Simple as that really.

I think you're being a bit silly here.

Why? Pretty much everything I've read regarding our side is suggesting we will reject swiftly anything which is far from our valuation which clearly 35m is. I'm not suggesting that United should be going balls deep with a 70m bid instantly but when you're offering a fee which is half of what a club supposedly values them at then it's a silly bid.

Excellent bid. He is worth no more than £40m and that's because of his age. Anyone willing to go higher are welcome to him. About time PL transfers returned to their senses.

Should United bid ridiculous prices right from the off just because Everton set an unrealistic asking price?

Nope, but when you have a c. 70m valuation fed by the selling club and then the proposed buyers bid half of that it's way way off.

£35m bid is smart. His value is probably right inbetween what Everton reportly want and what Man Utd bid.