Jarrad Branthwaite

Nope, but when you have a c. 70m valuation fed by the selling club and then the proposed buyers bid half of that it's way way off.
I’m not sure it qualifies as pathetic anymore than the asking price though. Neither are going to happen. United are obviously trying to take advantage of Everton’s position.

That's not a bad bid and about the value of a player of his quality and experience from the continent. Since he is English, may be add a bit more. 40m+5m should be the limit.

Embarrassing. Just be serious with your approach.

Why is it any more embarrassing than asking for £80m?

Of course, we'll have wiggle room, but I'd like to think that this is a clear indication that we're not going to negotiate on Everton's terms. We'll pay the price that we think is fair for the player. If they don't like it, there are plenty of other CBs on the market this summer.

I’m not sure it qualifies as pathetic anymore than the asking price though. Neither are going to happen. United are obviously trying to take advantage of Everton’s position.

Yep. Hoping he'll push a move now.

If a club doesn't want to sell a player they're not going to value them at a low price, are they? I'm not quite sure why people aren't getting that.

As I said before, the club have said that players will need to be sold but they've also mentioned that they're not going to be held to ransom, similar to you. It's just a waste of time for everyone making these silly bids.

Such a low bid being made public could also piss off the other club so much that they’ll refuse to do business with you.

Such a low bid being made public could also piss off the other club so much that they’ll refuse to do business with you.

It's like when you bid 20m for Stones and then 25m and then 30m and we kept telling you to piss off. Then signed for City for 50m the next summer.

Is he even better than Tarkowski? We shouldn't be paying these fees for potential. Club has learnt nothing.

What does paying for potential mean for you? Because that's factored into every deal for players under a certain age, let's say 25, as they're almost never the completely finished article, but are ready to contribute massively from day one either way. This is completely true for Branthwaite as well, so I'm not sure what your point is?

Well boo hoo if that's the case, not like there's a dearth of available young CB talent on the continent this summer.

They'll have to find other ways to generate that 50m they require this month then

I don't understand the purpose of this approach. It is similar to Wenger's extreme low ball offer and refuse to acknowledge the market price. It does more harm than good.

If Everton have to sell by the end of the month then this seems like the best approach.

Is anyone else even interested in him?

If Everton have to sell by the end of the month then this seems like the best approach.

I don't know, I think you have to be careful about using their situation against them because you likely will have to deal with them again in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just Utd setting out their stall, as Everton did, and them both working towards a compromise.

I get Evertons fans point of view that they don't want to sell except for a monster fee. However I think from Uniteds point of view it's a fair offer. He's worth about 50-60 mill in todays market and if Everton don't want to sell for that there's Todibo, Tapsoba and plenty other CBs (that are more proven) available in that price range.

Oh and I rate Branthwaite, I've said for a while Southgate needs to start him next to Stones.

It's like when you bid 20m for Stones and then 25m and then 30m and we kept telling you to piss off. Then signed for City for 50m the next summer.
Yep. We Chelsea fans have expericend it before. Happened between us and Spurs with Luka Modrić if I recall correctly, too.

Everton are probably thinking to themselves “this lot payed £80m for Harry Maguire. Why would we sell for significantly less than that?”

And that was years ago before the truly insane transfer fees of the last 3 years started popping off. He’s their biggest young talent. It would be like one of the big clubs going to Palace and offering £35m for Adam Wharton. Would probably take 70 for them to sell now.

Sir Jim draped in gold silks, petting an endangered gold mongoose and sipping from a gold flute filled with gold, diamonds and gasoline;

"Only got 35 million, man. Best I can do."

Golden helicopter lands behind him.

I don't understand the purpose of this approach. It is similar to Wenger's extreme low ball offer and refuse to acknowledge the market price. It does more harm than good.
To me it seems clubs do this when player has agreed personal terms so could force a move

40-45m is max I think we should be prepared to go before we consider other options

I don't know, I think you have to be careful about using their situation against them because you likely will have to deal with them again in the future.
With this kind of practice and attitude, eventually every EPL club will do a "Newcastle" when dealing with Utd.

Yep. We Chelsea fans have expericend it before. Happened between us and Spurs with Luka Modrić if I recall correctly, too.

Everton are probably thinking to themselves “this lot payed £80m for Harry Maguire. Why would we sell for significantly less than that?”

And that was years ago before the truly insane transfer fees of the last 3 years started popping off. He’s their biggest young talent. It would be like one of the big clubs going to Palace and offering £35m for Adam Wharton. Would probably take 70 for them to sell now.
Except it's not the same "lot".

I know everyone's used to United overpaying for players, but at the end of the day he's a 21 year old CB with one cap not picked for the Euros who's just finished his first full season in the Premier League for a bottom half team. Anyone pretending he should command a fee in the region of £70-80m is deluded.

£35m bid is smart. His value is probably right inbetween what Everton reportly want and what Man Utd bid.

Its worth testing the water with evertons financial deadline looming but the 70-80m is too much and we should move on if they hold out for that

I don't mind the 35m bid one bit, to be honest ... I don't think that's far off from what he's worth. He'll end up being more expensive due to being English and the United tax, but Evertons 70m evaluation is also insane.

I'd pobably go up to ~45 if I'm United and move on to other targets if they reject that.

Had a gander over at the Everton forums and they're absolutely fuming at that bid. I absolutely love it. Some believe our bid should have started at £60m. We're not mugs anymore.

No but when it's clear we have fed to the media we 'want 70-80m' to make a 35m bid public is just...pathetic.
And we've made it clear in the media that, that isn't a fair value. Works both ways.

I doubt either team believes their 'media' valuations.

With this kind of practice and attitude, eventually every EPL club will do a "Newcastle" when dealing with Utd.
Because everyone did it with Arsenal, you know after the 40 mill and 1 pound thing for a rivals best player, which was quite a lot worse....

Branthwaite is a 21 year old talented defender who's had 1 decent season in the prem. Yes, he may be worth more to Everton than other clubs but that's just facts. 35 Mill opening offer is not disrespectful when he should be valued at 55 max.

Branthwaite is clearly target no.1 so I would imagine there’s appetite to go up to £50-55m. Anything higher and I would expect us to pursue Todibo or one of the other targets a bit more fiercely.

A lot of people here absolutely certain of both extremes - that it’s either a great bid and great place to start negotiations and should result in a fair middle ground or that it’s effectively ended negotiations because it’s that insulting.

Even if we don't land Branthwaite we need to do something to reverse the trend of United tax. Anything north of 50 mil and we look elsewhere.

Except it's not the same "lot".

I know everyone's used to United overpaying for players, but at the end of the day he's a 21 year old CB with one cap not picked for the Euros who's just finished his first full season in the Premier League for a bottom half team. Anyone pretending he should command a fee in the region of £70-80m is deluded.
I mean, it’s not really deluded these days, though. When you want a very young, very talented CB that plays for another PL club now you’ll have to pay a massive premium. Then you add the English player tax as well.

£50m seems like the baseline for this sort of player now.