Jarrad Branthwaite

Send Everton a £40m offer, tell them it expires on the 29th June and will not be increased under any circumstances.

Make enquiries about a few other defenders next week - Yoro, Todibo, Silva, Inacio etc and let a couple of journalists get wind of those talks. If Everton don't accept the bid then on the 29th rescind it and pull the trigger on someone else. This is the only way we're going to break free of these pisstake demands that get stapled to any player Manchester United are interested. Nothing changes until the world learns that we're perfectly happy to walk away.

Why would Everton do anything other than laugh at that? They don’t want to sell. It’s why it’s a case of pay the high fee or don’t get the player. Everton won’t be worried one bit about United walking away from this deal and will demand that high fee.

Agreed. Its not as if he is the outstanding choice for CB, he is an option of many. If Everton decide to price him out, I suspect you will see players like him run their contracts down.

Better yet - listen to their whinging about PSR and FFP and let them spend as much shady money as they like. Then when it all goes pop and they fold, we can pick up whoever we like for free.

Why would Everton do anything other than laugh at that? They don’t want to sell. It’s why it’s a case of pay the high fee or don’t get the player. Everton won’t be worried one bit about United walking away from this deal and will demand that high fee.

I would offer 50m but if they refuse then we move on to other targets. They are in a financial mess not us

Absolutely fine if they do. It's their perogative to set the price wherever they like, and if they can find a buyer at that price then more power to them. I'm just sick of us being the fool that justifies the silly prices.

If they can't find a buyer at that price, they need to juggle what impact pricing the player out of a move is going to have on him, and if they can't raise the funds they need to meet regulations by the end of the month, they need to weigh up the cost of docked points for next season.

He has two traits which Smalling and Jones had and i hated it.
He does a lot of last ditch tackles and he often just clears the ball out of danger instead trying to control the ball and trying to pass.

Todibo would be much better fit for us.

How much do Everton have to raise before the end of June?

Everton fans, how much would a Maguire plus cash deal appeal to you? I feel like Harry would absolutely boss it in a Dyche defence.
You … get what the second assertion you made says about Branthwaite, right?

Because you’re not wrong.

But they probably can’t afford Maguire’s wages. It would almost moot the point of them selling.

United should give a take it or leave it deal, 30 million plus add-on. We shouldn't be buying a defender for 50-70 million, there are cheaper talent else where. Make Everton a reasonable, if they reject then we look another option. Why is United doubling or tripling players wages? There can be a base salary and performance related incentives or appearance. Stop giving out wages like what we are doing with Rashford, Sancho and Maguire. They are happily collecting their paycheck either sitting on the bench or playing badly weekly. If we want a culture reset, here is the time to change.

Why even bother emailing that offer, you can't honestly think that is market value in 2024?

150k per week? No CB brought in this window should get more than Martinez. If they want more, then we should move to some other player.

You just know SAF would have been all over him, loved the times when if a young British player was on the up then United would be in the mix.

Well, Everton conceded only 51 goals which is the 4th least of the season only the top 3 teams conceded less than that. It's great, and tells a lot about the capabilities of Brantwaite (and Tarkowski). I'd love to see him in United shirt.

Something about the £80m figure and an English CB triggering my PTSD. I'm sure it goes without saying we should not be paying anywhere near that for him and it would be a very concerning indication of this new era if we did.

£45M + £10M, take it or leave it. Otherwise, move on to other targets. If he wants the move, he'll likely have to push for it as well. If personal terms are agreed, going to be tough for Everton to keep him, let's see if INEOS has a better strategy to not getting rinsed on transfers.

From the Article

Manchester United are prepared to pursue other targets if Everton are unwilling to negotiate over a fee for Jarrad Branthwaite, a source has told ESPN.

Branthwaite is a priority for United in the summer window, but Everton's valuation of more than £70 million ($89m) is problematic.

Sources have told ESPN that Branthwaite is keen to move to Old Trafford and contact with the 21-year-old's representatives has been positive.

United intend to make a formal offer, but a source has told ESPN that Everton will need to compromise on their demands over a fee for a deal to happen.

Sources have told ESPN that United have other centre-backs targets including Marc Guéhi, Jean-Clair Todibo, Leny Yoro and Matthijs de Ligt and are prepared to move on if Everton refuse to negotiate.

You … get what the second assertion you made says about Branthwaite, right?

Because you’re not wrong.

But they probably can’t afford Maguire’s wages. It would almost moot the point of them selling.

I definitely do get what it says about him. In fact, if you have a look back at my posts - I made the same comparison to Maguire a couple of weeks ago.

There will come a time either this summer or next, where Maguire needs to make a decision on his career. Is he happy being a bit part player for us, or is he prepared to take a cut on his wage to play at a more appropriate level.

He's not the quickest and he plays for a side that generally plays with a deep defensive line.

Would he really be suited to playing in a high defensive line?

Is he even better than Tarkowski? We shouldn't be paying these fees for potential. Club has learnt nothing.

I think a lot of people turning their nose up are doing so simply because he's English, and therefore must be over hyped rather than any objective measure of his talent. If we're really honest, hardly any United fans are going out of their way to watch Everton except from when they play the big boys and are likely to get beaten anyway. I think particularly assertions that he is lacking pace get very short shrift from those who watch him regularly.

But that said, I do think this is somewhat curious to persist with a manager who was so dogmatic about which centre-backs can play on which sides that Varane was dropped in favour of Evans at times last season only to target a left-footed, left-sided centre half when Martinez is without doubt the best centre-half at the club.

I'd be very surprised if INEOS throw 6+1 deals. It's generally not a smart thing to do in my opinion. Chelsea are the only ones throwing these types of deals around.

I agree £150k is a lot for Branthwaite straight off the bat. Assuming he's on 40-60k right now at Everton, a £120k salary is double and probably enough for his first big deal at a big club.

Chelsea aren’t the only one s to offer contracts over 5 years it’s worth taking a few minutes to look at contract lengths offered elsewhere particularly at the likes of Real .

Of course I get it that Chelsea have far more on longer deals than elsewhere. I am not convinced either way about it being a good idea or not but what I do know is that clubs that don’t address contract lengths can see millions of pounds worth of assets just walk out the door .

I was surprised that at say Newcastle at the end of the upcoming season they have 11 players who were in their 23/24 squad whose contracts are up

Is he even better than Tarkowski? We shouldn't be paying these fees for potential. Club has learnt nothing.
No, they actually have. I'd rather sign potential than sign over the hill players who give you 2 seasons and then either turn shit, old or just want to leave.

He's not the quickest and he plays for a side that generally plays with a deep defensive line.

Would he really be suited to playing in a high defensive line?

John Stones hasn't done too bad.

Branthwaite has the potential to be a much better player.

United should give a take it or leave it deal, 30 million plus add-on. We shouldn't be buying a defender for 50-70 million, there are cheaper talent else where. Make Everton a reasonable, if they reject then we look another option. Why is United doubling or tripling players wages? There can be a base salary and performance related incentives or appearance. Stop giving out wages like what we are doing with Rashford, Sancho and Maguire. They are happily collecting their paycheck either sitting on the bench or playing badly weekly. If we want a culture reset, here is the time to change.
£30million for a young top English prospect is clearly derisory, add ons included or otherwise.

If we're going to hardball it then it'll be around the £50million range.

Well, Everton conceded only 51 goals which is the 4th least of the season only the top 3 teams conceded less than that. It's great, and tells a lot about the capabilities of Brantwaite (and Tarkowski). I'd love to see him in United shirt.

To counter that Everton only scored 40 the second lowest after Sheffield Utd, In effect it was almost ten behind the ball but because Everton only averaged circa 38% possession his numbers are exaggerated .

I watched Brantwaite at SB he was simply terrible. A big lump of a lad who will put his body in the way but keep the ball on the ground and attack him at pace I am far from sure he is anywhere close to the standard some suggest he is at

There's something that still irks me about this guy. It's not just the tweets where he's completely wrong, but it's the tweets where he's always desperate to start it off by pointing how it shows he's telling the truth. Imagine journalists doing this all the time to try and prove their validity.

There's something that still irks me about this guy. It's not just the tweets where he's completely wrong, but it's the tweets where he's always desperate to start it off by pointing how it shows he's telling the truth. Imagine journalists doing this all the time to try and prove their validity.
It's how he makes money, so it's no surprise. Same with Romano responding to random people tweeting he's a fraud.

Good we're moving quite quickly. So refreshing £45m isnt bad to start off at, offer £50m and move on :angel:

Did they release the personal terms reached with him? Hoe much pw is he on now and how much will he be on at Utd??

Seen posts like that constantly, the CAF lives in early 2000 perpetually

Cool, you'd be happy to sell Garnacho for 35 million then? Mainoo has half a season in the Prem and finished 8th...probably fetch 25 million tops :rolleyes: