Jarrad Branthwaite

Looks a good defender, would be keen for 40-45 million. We don't need to be spending stupid money on a centre back in my opinion, far more pressing priorities that require big money.

We just had a season with major issues at CB, we also can't play the way we want to because of the make up of our CBs...
Not saying paying over the top for him is the answer but to say CB is not a priority is crazy

It's clear you're asking this to try and wind him up.
To address your point though - we don't do 6+1 deals.

we signed Maguire on 6+1 deal, but yes, it's not a common contract length, and all said was my view on 150k as a salary for someone like Branthwaite, i am talking in possibilities, not facts, why did that fella say i made shit up!!!!

We just had a season with major issues at CB, we also can't play the way we want to because of the make up of our CBs...
Not saying paying over the top for him is the answer but to say CB is not a priority is crazy
At this moment we have only one defender which is Erik's type od defender. We lost first choice defender (Varane), Lindelof and Maguire are not Erik's preferred choice, Evans and Kambwala are just backups of the backups.
So, it is not just that defender is priority, we need first choice defender. I will not be surprised if we somehow buy two defenders (and sell Harry or Lindelof).

What the hell is a “Branthwaite”, anyway? Never heard this surname before the geezer rocked up. How many times will he be erroneously called “Braithwaite” during his career?

we signed Maguire on 6+1 deal, but yes, it's not a common contract length, and all said was my view on 150k as a salary for someone like Branthwaite, i am talking in possibilities, not facts, why did that fella say i made shit up!!!!
I'd be very surprised if INEOS throw 6+1 deals. It's generally not a smart thing to do in my opinion. Chelsea are the only ones throwing these types of deals around.

I agree £150k is a lot for Branthwaite straight off the bat. Assuming he's on 40-60k right now at Everton, a £120k salary is double and probably enough for his first big deal at a big club.

in the whole scheme of things, whether we sign him for 50mill (unlikely) or 75 million, does it really matter. even from an accounting view, over a 5/6 yr contract its a few million a year. obviously we do the same 5 times in the season its an issue, but for a very talented boy surely getting him into the squad is the priority.

Feels easy enough to me, sounds like the player is keen so just make an offer to Everton (who need cash) with a date attached to it and then begin negotiating with other players.

The real test of this new transfer team is whether they can manage the incredible feat of negotiating with more than one player at a time, something that has apparently been beyond us for years.

What the hell is a “Branthwaite”, anyway? Never heard this surname before the geezer rocked up. How many times will he be erroneously called “Braithwaite” during his career?
we need to find a nickname for him sharpish if he's coming to us :lol:

I've just got used to typing Branthwaite and I don't think I'll ever enjoy typing it out.

I asked the CAF how to say it and they said it’s pronounced Mag-why-err.

I'd be very surprised if INEOS throw 6+1 deals. It's generally not a smart thing to do in my opinion. Chelsea are the only ones throwing these types of deals around.

I agree £150k is a lot for Branthwaite straight off the bat. Assuming he's on 40-60k right now at Everton, a £120k salary is double and probably enough for his first big deal at a big club.
thats not how it works, if the player is worth 60mill plus in the market, than he'd expect a salary to reflect that. most clubs now have average first teamers on 100k. i would be shocked if and when he arrives if hes not in the 200-250 salary bracket, whether thats done with straight payroll or with image rights / bonuses etc

Indeed 6+1 isn't commonly offered by the club, only Maguire got such a deal, and it was unique back then, and I agree 150-160K (if the reports are to be believed) is too much.

The main thing he needs to learn is that no one with the pace he has should be sliding around as much as he does and that can be learnt easily.

Konate, VVD and Saliba are players in a similar mould and they use their speed and strength to beat players to a spot and take control of the ball on their feet. Branthwaite just goes sliding around making last ditch tackles and it’s not always necessary. It’s the same with Van de Ven at Spurs he uses his speed to take control of situations.

I guess once he builds more upper body strength he’ll be more comfortable in taking control of situations like these players.

He definitely has the raw materials to be a very successful player in the league, it’s just about coaching and composure for him going forward.

thats not how it works, if the player is worth 60mill plus in the market, than he'd expect a salary to reflect that. most clubs now have average first teamers on 100k. i would be shocked if and when he arrives if hes not in the 200-250 salary bracket, whether thats done with straight payroll or with image rights / bonuses etc
I'm not sure I agree with that. When VVD signed he wasn't on crazy high wages from inception at Liverpool (I'm sure he got an upgrade though). He cost £75m.

Reckon the players will go with “Brantz”, “Jazza” or “Brantzy” but that’ll not stick on the forum.

”Jarrad”? :lol:
I'd say you need to use your powers to autocorrect posters' misspellings to "Jazza" or "Jez" as a peep show reference. But we all spell it different ways :lol:

in the whole scheme of things, whether we sign him for 50mill (unlikely) or 75 million, does it really matter. even from an accounting view, over a 5/6 yr contract its a few million a year. obviously we do the same 5 times in the season its an issue, but for a very talented boy surely getting him into the squad is the priority.

Good luck negotiating any future transfers.

I've been thinking about the whole British tax thing.

Firstly, you need British players for the homegrown quota. You can also argue you need some players who understand the culture of a club and the league, which is usually but not always British, but that's debatable and whilst can be advantage isn't necessary. So, you objectively need British players in the squad, that's not disputable.

~

However it's not that clear cut. City signed some cheap British squad players like Delph, Phillips, with mixed success, but they also spent big on Stones and Walker. Stones at the time was far from a guaranteed success, he was still raw. And for every Eze or Wharton or Robertson, there are 5 cheap signings who do either poorly or just okay. The fees have become increasingly insane in recent years for even players with good potential but far from sure fire bets, British or not.

I don't think having British players who understand the culture has had much if anything to do with City's success to be honest. Yes you could argue Stones and Foden make an impact, but neither strike me as real leaders, while you'd have a lot of space left on an A5 page if you wanted to write out the sum total of things Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish understand.

Their leadership spine over the years has come from the likes of Ederson, Kompany, Dias, Rodri, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, the two Silvas, Aguero and Haaland.

Think it's gonna to be a game of chicken till the end of the month. Think it's well known Everton need to sell to meet PFF again and also shore up their own finances but I guess it depends on who else they can sell before then.

Can you name me a few great teams that had a left footed CB.
I am struggling to think of any but can think of quite a few that have two that favour the same foot.

You ever hear of a guy called Paolo Maldini? Our own best CB is left footed of course, as is Villa's.

The reason there've been a lot fewer left footed CBs over the decades is because 9/10 people are right footed and so most left footed defenders get shunted out wide at some point by default unless they're too slow (e.g. Cygan and Pau Torres). It doesn't mean they weren't better CBs than FBs, or wouldn't have been with the right training. So with that in mind the best you'd be expecting is a 10:1 ratio of right footed top centre backs to left footed, and probably far more than that in reality.

It's only in recent years when the tactical advantage of a left footer there has been emphasised, and we're seeing more of them than we used to as a result. Ake and Laporte for example at City, Alaba and Lucas Hernandez at Bayern, Daley Blind and Martinez at Ajax...

How much do Everton have to raise before the end of June?

Everton fans, how much would a Maguire plus cash deal appeal to you? I feel like Harry would absolutely boss it in a Dyche defence.

65/70 mil sounds about right for a young English player who’s being approached by specifically United.

But if there are no potential suitors before the June deadline from an Everton perspective, we should make a maximum 50 mil offer or move on to Yoro/ Todibo.

It’s time to finally break the cycle of paying the sellers price instead of having some bargaining power to affect changes in other areas.

1st test for Ineos, one I think they can pull off.

United should give a take it or leave it deal, 30 million plus add-on. We shouldn't be buying a defender for 50-70 million, there are cheaper talent else where. Make Everton a reasonable, if they reject then we look another option. Why is United doubling or tripling players wages? There can be a base salary and performance related incentives or appearance. Stop giving out wages like what we are doing with Rashford, Sancho and Maguire. They are happily collecting their paycheck either sitting on the bench or playing badly weekly. If we want a culture reset, here is the time to change.

He did play in the Eredivisie and i have read quite some posts here saying that we should stay away from ex Eredivisie players. Eredvisie, Dutch or ex ETH are all no-go's.

Maybe he was there too short for the Eredivisie shittiness to seep into his playing ability?

The only reason we are looking at Branthwaite is because he is British.

He is way overpriced compared to Todibo and other non British players.

For any fee above 40--45 million we need to walk away.

Just like when we were linked with Grealish for £60-70m but opted for Van De Beek at £35m. What a great call that was!

There is value to be had on English based players, Cole Palmer £42m v Mudryk £80m

The anti-english brigade here is mind boggling

Dalot, Holjund, Martinez

I'll give you Martinez but Hojlund's still not setting the world alight. Dalot too - it's his first good season. There was a point where we sent him out on loan to Milan with a buy option and they just chose not to trigger it.

Still pitifully small number even if you take all 3.

Send Everton a £40m offer, tell them it expires on the 29th June and will not be increased under any circumstances.

Make enquiries about a few other defenders next week - Yoro, Todibo, Silva, Inacio etc and let a couple of journalists get wind of those talks. If Everton don't accept the bid then on the 29th rescind it and pull the trigger on someone else. This is the only way we're going to break free of these pisstake demands that get stapled to any player Manchester United are interested. Nothing changes until the world learns that we're perfectly happy to walk away.

Send Everton a £40m offer, tell them it expires on the 29th June and will not be increased under any circumstances.

Make enquiries about a few other defenders next week - Yoro, Todibo, Silva, Inacio etc and let a couple of journalists get wind of those talks. If Everton don't accept the bid then on the 29th rescind it and pull the trigger on someone else. This is the only way we're going to break free of these pisstake demands that get stapled to any player Manchester United are interested. Nothing changes until the world learns that we're perfectly happy to walk away.

Agreed. Its not as if he is the outstanding choice for CB, he is an option of many. If Everton decide to price him out, I suspect you will see players like him run their contracts down.