Jarrad Branthwaite

The disrespect! His name isn't Trevor. Or Chaloboah.

Trevoh Chalobah.
:lol:
It is disrespect, I apologise. Few of us can even spell Branthwaite properly so it's at least consistent.

@roonster09 if these are accurate, it tells it’s own story and £150k is way too much. Konate on £70k?? Gabriel 100k; Martinez 120k…

@Rojofiam thanks for the info. Where did you source it from?

These numbers are available on Spotrac and Capology.

Also, you need to keep in mind that if United are successful on the pitch, they should be paying more to their players than Liverpool or Arsenal, as they are a richer and commercially bigger club than those two. Also, it's different signing a player from within the Premier League, than the Bundesliga, Eredivisie, or Ligue 1, as they'll probably be earning more money already in the Premier League. So yeah, even if I agree that 150k might be too much, it's not completely way off. There are a lot of factors to it.

I like Branthwaite, but at the moment I can see him being the next Harry Maguire. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as I think Maguire is a solid defender with decent passing ability, and for what it's worth I do think Branthwaite will end up at least a bit better than him in a lot of aspects. But £80m feels like the same mistake all over again in terms of price vs quality. If we paid £40-50m for Harry and then Branthwaite, I don't think most people would care. But the perception that everyone gets completely changes when we start talking about £70M+.

Branthwaite strikes me as a signing we would make under Fergie when we had an already established squad competing on all fronts. Not a signing you make when you're trying to catch up. If the price is this high I think it's one we should hold off on and strengthen in 2-3 positions with players that cost less.

I mean for context, Trevor Chaloboah has shown a lot of potential and proven run of games post his injury, and he's able to play RB and CB. He'll be available for around £25m.

As I said Branthwaite is very good but he's not worth 2x Chaloboah for example. For me he's a £40-50m player tops.
I get that, but I don't think that's apples to apples. An ambipedal CB is definitely a different profile to a CB/RB. You'll struggle to find many, with the added part of him being league proven. I think you'd probably compare Trevoh to options that would offer the same cover in your squad.

This is such a nonsense post. Martinez is not weak. It's like the Jaime Redknapp school of thought of lazily checking height and assuming theyr'e weak in the air
Or saying he has a nice touch, for a big man.

Thing is with those other clubs is either they are London clubs and the players wants to play in London or they have very good managers so the player wants to play for that manager. Newcastle am surprised wages are so low. United have been a right old mess and to be honest we have to pay stupid money go get players to come to us. 120k is not that bad, it is the really high earners like Rashford, Sancho etc where the issues lie.

Newcastle were nowhere near the top 6 financially before the Saudi takeover, and that happened not that long ago. If they start becoming more successful, and when slowly but surely most of their squad will be made up of players signed after the takeover, their wage bill will be at least Arsenal-Liverpool-Chelsea level, but possibly maybe even close to the two Manchester clubs.

For £70m to £80m I’d rather the club buy Evan Ferguson.

Branthwaite may have a lot of potential but…£70m to £80m! :eek:

Romano going with around the same asking price as Ziegler reported. Negative Simon Stone says Everton want at least £80M.

I have faith in INEOS to not spend more than £50m on this kid

I mean for context, Trevor Chaloboah has shown a lot of potential and proven run of games post his injury, and he's able to play RB and CB. He'll be available for around £25m.

As I said Branthwaite is very good but he's not worth 2x Chaloboah for example. For me he's a £40-50m player tops.

ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

I'll be very surprised if Everton sell him for less than 60-65 million. There is a sell on clause and usually Everton gets good few when they sell their good/potential players.

I think the whole LCB vs RCB argument is so overstated unless you play 3 at the back. A CB is CB regardless of what foot they favour.
It does seem a bit weird. I mean if there is a left and right footer and a striker who is determined to attack a weaker foot then they'll just go through the middle, which might be the thing you want the least. Maybe it's more important for a centre back to be two-footed than it is with other positions, so Branthwaite is actually a good choice.

I'll be very surprised if Everton sell him for less than 60-65 million. There is a sell on clause and usually Everton gets good few when they sell their good/potential players.
Reportedly desperate to sell for PSR by end month though. I don't think they can afford to draw out negotiations

When we needed to sell Richy for PSR we still managed to hold out for 50+10m from Spurs.

I like Branthwaite, but at the moment I can see him being the next Harry Maguire. That isn't necessarily a bad thing as I think Maguire is a solid defender with decent passing ability, and for what it's worth I do think Branthwaite will end up at least a bit better than him in a lot of aspects. But £80m feels like the same mistake all over again in terms of price vs quality. If we paid £40-50m for Harry and then Branthwaite, I don't think most people would care. But the perception that everyone gets completely changes when we start talking about £70M+.

Branthwaite strikes me as a signing we would make under Fergie when we had an already established squad competing on all fronts. Not a signing you make when you're trying to catch up. If the price is this high I think it's one we should hold off on and strengthen in 2-3 positions with players that cost less.
Harry Maguire with pace would be a completely adequate CB for us, Maguire's lack of mobility is basically his only major downside.

Eredivisie is not the place to really judge players tbh.

Gapko, Antony, Ziyech, Donny all looked like class players and can't hack the PL.

We have seen Branthwaite play well all season for Everton.
All true
:lol:
It is disrespect, I apologise. Few of us can even spell Branthwaite properly so it's at least consistent.
Antony and Eriksen are already too much for some lads here.

Reportedly desperate to sell for PSR by end month though. I don't think they can afford to draw out negotiations
When we needed to sell Richy for PSR we still managed to hold out for 50+10m from Spurs.

Usually fee won't be much lesser than initial reported fee. Now there are 2 reports, one is 70 and other is 80 million.

So can see it easily more than 60-65 million.

Yoro? I think if he is going to Liverpool, United or Real, he won't expect to go straight into the side.

Then he maybe decides to go elsewhere because there is no way he is going to leave after playing a full season as one of the best CBs in his league to warm the bench

I thought Everton were brassic and need to sell?

The whole line from the club and Thelwell has been that players need to be sold but we aren't desperate enough that they will be sold for cut price valuations. It's only been rags like The Sun and Talksport that have been talking about fire sales etc.

Romano going with around the same asking price as Ziegler reported. Negative Simon Stone says Everton want at least £80M.

We are going to end up paying around 50 plus bonuses that likely get to around 65

What what?

We pay north of 40m to replace our best CB, moving our best CB to LB.

Or we buy a CB for north of 40m, triple his wages and play him at LB?

Is that what you’re saying or have I read it wrong?

Martínez would be unbelievable in that Zinchenko/Aké type of LB role, don't worry about that. That's why Arteta wanted him originally at Arsenal. It's not a traditional left back role, as he would often find himself in the middle of the pitch in an inverted position (like how Dalot steps into central positions all the time), as well as regularly take up a CB position mid-game...but he can often start LCB as well, like he has for these two seasons he's been at the club. Branthwaite can also do both traditional LCB and Aké-type LB to a high level, like Martínez.

It's not about having a "best CB" and moving him to LB, as then you are thinking like we need to have a constant, strongest XI all the time, and if someone doesn't make it, that means they're not playing enough, or not good enough, or that they'll just have a squad role instead of being a key player...but you need to think about it from another perspective, and that's having a strong squad with depth, instead of only thinking about the starting XI.

If we bring in Branthwaite, will he be our best CB? No. Will he be our best LB? No. But can he play 50 games a season despite that, and be a key player for us? Absolutely. The strongest XI should be called optimal XI for me, and it should depend on the opposition. Just look at City's defense. Dias, Stones, Aké, Gvardiol and Akanji are all originally centre backs, and yet they all get sufficient play time due to their ability to play multiple roles to a high level (except Dias as I haven't seen him play anything other than CB). That's something only Martínez truly offers from our current defenders (Dalot, Shaw and Malacia as well, to a certain extent).

Getting Branthwaite would provide us with a player who can play two roles from the starting XI to a key player level. There's also always going to be injuries, suspensions, tactical changes, etc.

Last edited:
The whole line from the club and Thelwell has been that players need to be sold but we aren't desperate enough that they will be sold for cut price valuations. It's only been rags like The Sun and Talksport that have been talking about fire sales etc.

Do you think Branthwaite to United will happen, and do you think it can be done for 58-60m tops including add-ons?

I thought Everton were brassic and need to sell?
They do need to raise funds this summer. Seems like we're putting the pressure on by already agreeing personal terms with Branthwaite. Looks like we have other options at centre back too so if the price doesn't come down I can see using turning to other targets then possibly going back in for him next summer.

Laughing at how many DoF’s are coming out of hiding now on the forum saying we shouldn’t spend more than 20-30m. See you next season with the same squad then lads :D

I read about 50 pages from the Everton forum last night, and they are truly gutted to potentially lose him, going to the extent that some fans are willing to keep him, and take the 6-point deduction, as they believe he can eventually be worth more points if kept, and are comparing losing him to the likes of Rooney to us(I know there is no way he will have the same impact). They do rate him highly.

Reactions: 711
Laughing at how many DoF’s are coming out of hiding now on the forum saying we shouldn’t spend more than 20-30m. See you next season with the same squad then lads :D

Haha 20-30 is crazy, I think 45-55/60 is reasonable