Jarrad Branthwaite

But take Yoro, they want about £50m for someone who's never even played in the league. Assuming we end up paying £60m is £10M really "overpaying" considering everything Braithwaite has in his favour.
Yoro is meant to be way, way better.

Also Todibo is very good - more of a Branthwaite level than a Yoro level if you agree? He's likely available for no more than around £30m. The difference funds most of the transfer of a left back, or a Frimpong.

Stats and eye test say otherwise. Ten Hag even substituted him in a game (Wolves) because in his words "we needed an extra header". He knows it's a weakness (for what his opinion is worth).
Martinez was starting his first game for five months. He was replaced by Maguire partly as a precaution, but yes, also because Maguire is more aerially dominant than him. That isn't to say that Martinez is aerially very weak.

Shaw cannot play 50 games a season. He needs to be managed to probably 1 game per week at most. Martínez and Branthwaite can easily play together as LB and LCB, as they can switch between roles during games several times if needed. In possession, both of them can take the CCB or LCB if we switch to a back 3 in such situations. Both of them would get enough playtime IMO, as there are always injuries, suspensions, changes, etc.

United: Varane 340k, Maguire 190k, Martínez 120k, Lindelöf 120k, Evans 65k, Kambwala 7.5k

Arsenal: Saliba 190k, White 150k, Gabriel 100k, Timber 90k, Kiwior 58k

Chelsea: Fofana 200k, Sarr 120k, Silva 110k, Colwill 100k, Badiashile 90k, Disasi 80k, Chalobah 50k

Liverpool: van Dijk 220k, Matip 100k, Gomez 85k, Konaté 70k, Quansah 15k

City: Stones 250k, Gvardiol 200k, Akanji 180k, Dias 180k, Aké 160k

Newcastle: Botman 90k, Schar 45k, Lascelles 40k

Spurs: Romero 165k, Dragusin 85k, van de Ven 50k

I think 150k-160k for Branthwaite's first contract is just a little too much. 100-120 is what we should be offering him probably
@roonster09 if these are accurate, it tells it’s own story and £150k is way too much. Konate on £70k?? Gabriel 100k; Martinez 120k…

@Rojofiam thanks for the info. Where did you source it from?

Martinez came straight from the Eredivisie who has a huge failing rate in the EPL. Martinez salary is slightly higher to tiny Timber and Botman (90k each). First team CBs at top clubs with EPL experience are paid more as shown before.

Martinez had a lot more UCL and Europa experience and international experience too. Brainthwaite has only 1 full season in the EPL too by the way

He'll either take the LCB from Martínez who gets pushed to LB, or Branthwaite will be the LB with Martínez LCB.
What what?

We pay north of 40m to replace our best CB, moving our best CB to LB.

Or we buy a CB for north of 40m, triple his wages and play him at LB?

Is that what you’re saying or have I read it wrong?

That was quite the oversight for me wasn’t it :lol: - It wasn’t as intentional as you’re making out however, as it simply was a mistake.

I assumed it was unintentional in fairness but it did amuse me given the nature of the argument!

Yoro is meant to be way, way better.

Also Todibo is very good - more of a Branthwaite level than a Yoro level if you agree? He's likely available for no more than around £30m. The difference funds most of the transfer of a left back, or a Frimpong.
All potential, he's not by any means better than Braithwaite right now.

Yeah for sure, but also not got that versatility to play the LCB role that our manager would want (the classic dutch passing lanes argument). I only see us going for Todido if Maguire or Lindelof are sold to replace them in the squad that way.

I think if we sign Braithwaite our CB options look like this:

LCB - Martinez, Braithwaite, Shaw
RCB - Braithwaite, Maguire, Linedlof/Kambwala

Which is very balanced and means we can likely shift one of those RCBs without having to rush to find a new player. If you sign Yoro or Tobido, the balance is off and you're a Martinez injury away from playing Shaw there again.

Martinez had a lot more UCL and Europa experience and international experience too. Brainthwaite has 1 full season in the EPL too by the way

Same as VDB. Then he came in the EPL and he was shit. Dutch players tend to do that. They either destroy the league (Van Basten, RVN, RVP, Gullit, Rijkaard, Seedorf) or they are underwhelming (Jonk, VDB, Kluivert etc). That's why their first salary tend to be lower as opposed to players who had proven themselves at a top league. If they succeed then that contract is usually modified early on. If not then its easy to shift them off, usually back to the Eredivisie.

@roonster09 if these are accurate, it tells it’s own story and £150k is way too much. Konate on £70k?? Gabriel 100k; Martinez 120k…

@Rojofiam thanks for the info. Where did you source it from?

Konate isn't on 70k, this is what I said about club doing their PR work.

If everyone is on low wages, why did Liverpool have higher wages than ManUtd?

Fair enough if he's who we want, wouldn't be my choice but then what do I know. Key above all is that we do not let Everton rinse us here.

There are a lot of good, young CBs about at the moment. There's no shortage of options and so this should only go through if the terms are very decent.
Put a price to them, if they don't accept and can't sell other players they are in trouble. If someone comes in with silly money then you just move on.

All these Brexit posts are hilarious, sign any English players then it's Brexit.

Same as VDB. Then he came in the EPL and he was shit. Dutch players tend to do that. They either destroy the league (Van Basten, RVN, RVP, Gullit, Rijkaard, Seedorf) or they are underwhelming (Jonk, VDB, Kluivert etc). That's why their first salary tend to be lower as opposed to players who had proven themselves at a top league. If they succeed then that contract is usually modified early on. If not then its easy to shift them off, usually back to the Eredivisie.

PL players tend to either flop or do well when they move to top clubs too, there is inherent risk in all transfers. When it comes to wages number of years experience at all levels of football is relevant. There is nothing that says Brainthwaite should get more than Martinez who had way more experience at all levels of football except 1 PL season. This will also obviously trigger a wage rise for Martinez too...

On what basis are they just all potential but not better than Branthwaite right now?
Yeah for sure, but also not got that versatility to play the LCB role that our manager would want (the classic dutch passing lanes argument). I only see us going for Todido if Maguire or Lindelof are sold to replace them in the squad that way.

Which is very balanced and means we can likely shift one of those RCBs without having to rush to find a new player. If you sign Yoro or Tobido, the balance is off and you're a Martinez injury away from playing Shaw there again.
I do like how Branthwaite can play in RCB or LCB - that dual footed feature is awesome. As is his recovery pace which I think is good enough. But he goes to ground a lot and it makes me question his positioning and strength at times. Very good potential but for £50m+ I am expecting for better pedigree than 1 good year in the PL despite some flaws.

Shaw cannot play 50 games a season. He needs to be managed to probably 1 game per week at most. Martínez and Branthwaite can easily play together as LB and LCB, as they can switch between roles during games several times if needed. In possession, both of them can take the CCB or LCB if we switch to a back 3 in such situations. Both of them would get enough playtime IMO, as there are always injuries, suspensions, changes, etc.

United: Varane 340k, Maguire 190k, Martínez 120k, Lindelöf 120k, Evans 65k, Kambwala 7.5k

Arsenal: Saliba 190k, White 150k, Gabriel 100k, Timber 90k, Kiwior 58k

Chelsea: Fofana 200k, Sarr 120k, Silva 110k, Colwill 100k, Badiashile 90k, Disasi 80k, Chalobah 50k

Liverpool: van Dijk 220k, Matip 100k, Gomez 85k, Konaté 70k, Quansah 15k

City: Stones 250k, Gvardiol 200k, Akanji 180k, Dias 180k, Aké 160k

Newcastle: Botman 90k, Schar 45k, Lascelles 40k

Spurs: Romero 165k, Dragusin 85k, van de Ven 50k

I think 150k-160k for Branthwaite's first contract is just a little too much. 100-120 is what we should be offering him probably
Thing is with those other clubs is either they are London clubs and the players wants to play in London or they have very good managers so the player wants to play for that manager. Newcastle am surprised wages are so low. United have been a right old mess and to be honest we have to pay stupid money go get players to come to us. 120k is not that bad, it is the really high earners like Rashford, Sancho etc where the issues lie.

Put a price to them, if they don't accept and can't sell other players they are in trouble. If someone comes in with silly money then you just move on.

Exactly. The old transfer strategy would have been to say we won’t pay more than £50m, Everton say £70m and we end up paying £65m + add ons. Will be a good test of the new approach.

All these Brexit posts are hilarious, sign any English players then it's Brexit.

I like the player and agree with you the brexit comments are daft. Having said that I don't want us to pay that much for him when the likes of Todibo are cheaper and we need to strengthen more than one position.

I'll be pissed off if we offer a silly fee and/or huge wages. Keep the kid grounded and build incentives/bonuses into his contract. Make him earn his money FFS, don't give him everything on day one.

Last edited:
I like the player and agree with you the brexit comments are daft. Having said that I don't want us to pay that much for him when the likes of Todibo are cheaper and we need to strengthen more than one position.

Have no idea on how good or bad 2 of them are. So whoever it is, I will watch some videos later once we are close to signing.

Onana
Dalot - Branthwaite - Martinez - Shaw
Amad - Neves - Mainoo - Garnacho
Bruno
Hojlund​

I think the whole LCB vs RCB argument is so overstated unless you play 3 at the back. A CB is CB regardless of what foot they favour.

They obviously wouldn't have touched Kane, Bellingham or Rice with a barge pole.

Or Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Sancho
I am all for signing good English/PL players. Plenty want us to sign Olisie, I don't think questioning 160k a week wages when they player is currently on 40k is a bad thing

On what basis are they just all potential but not better than Branthwaite right now?

I do like how Branthwaite can play in RCB or LCB - that dual footed feature is awesome. As is his recovery pace which I think is good enough. But he goes to ground a lot and it makes me question his positioning and strength at times. Very good potential but for £50m+ I am expecting for better pedigree than 1 good year in the PL despite some flaws.
Yoro is 18 and just had his first full season in ligue 1. You are not buying him to put him straight into your first team to compete for CL football, you are buying his potential. Braithwaite could easily come straight into our starting XI in the prem with minimal expecting time for adaptation.

That's fair, but I think you're paying for the fact that he is league proven, with big scope for improvement. I'd argue you'd be paying the same for someone like Colwill/Quansah, who have their own flaws, but that doesn't make them worth less. I don't think either are better defenders than Branthwaite.

Yoro is 18 and just had his first full season in ligue 1. You are not buying him to put him straight into your first team to compete for CL football, you are buying his potential. Braithwaite could easily come straight into our starting XI in the prem with minimal expecting time for adaptation.

That's fair, but I think you're paying for the fact that he is league proven, with big scope for improvement. I'd argue you'd be paying the same for someone like Colwill/Quansah, who have their own flaws, but that doesn't make them worth less. I don't think either are better defenders than Branthwaite.

He is not going anywhere to sit on the bench

I am all for signing good English/PL players. Plenty want us to sign Olisie, I don't think questioning 160k a week wages when they player is currently on 40k is a bad thing

Does he count as a Brexit signing? He' born and raised in West London but has French mum and a Nigerian dad.

Have no idea on how good or bad 2 of them are. So whoever it is, I will watch some videos later once we are close to signing.

Yeah makes sense. Hard to really know what's press spin versus actual targets.
But regardless of quality I don't see us paying 85 for a cb in this window.

I think the whole LCB vs RCB argument is so overstated unless you play 3 at the back. A CB is CB regardless of what foot they favour.
It's not with a Dutch manager. That's why he played Shaw there. They believe the left footedness plays a massive part in passing lanes and also believe an opponent can exploit the fact they have to play with their weaker foot or be forced inside onto their favoured right, as a negative.

Firstly, the club has made no such decision, that sounds like no more than a tantrum on your part.

Secondly, it is these senior players that help with the transition, rather than simply hanging talented but young players out to dry when they are not performing. They need to be developed at a fair and organic pace.
The second point is true, but I'm not sure what we can realistically compete for next season that a player of Maguire's quality would significantly help with. Possibly if we make a run at the Europa League due to volume of games.

Think the wages are a bit high for such a relatively unproven player. We are just going from media reports.

PL players tend to either flop or do well when they move to top clubs too, there is inherent risk in all transfers. When it comes to wages number of years experience at all levels of football is relevant. There is nothing that says Brainthwaite should get more than Martinez who had way more experience at all levels of football except 1 PL season. This will also obviously trigger a wage rise for Martinez too...

Players from local leagues are a safer bet. They were raised precisely to play in that league, they are used to the tempo and the physicality of the game. There's also the element of homesickness and culture clash at play as well. Not to forget that local talent tend to be more loyal to the league then an Argentinian or a Brazilian who probably support Real, Barca, Milan or Inter. That's why homegrown players are usually paid more both in terms of fees and salaries.

While its important not to overpay in terms of fees, its even more important not to overpay in terms of salary. That's were the real dosh is spent. Rumors say that we're paying him around 150k a week. That's good as it puts him at par with most first team CBs at top clubs (Stones 250k, Van Dijk 220k, Saliba 190k, Dias 180k, Ake 160k, White 150k, Martinez 120k)
Ben White got 150k after 2 seasons with Arsenal making 120k a week. 150k is too much when he is on 35k a week. White was on 50k a week at Leeds. So even 120k for Branthwaite is too much.

I mean for context, Trevor Chaloboah has shown a lot of potential and proven run of games post his injury, and he's able to play RB and CB. He'll be available for around £25m.

As I said Branthwaite is very good but he's not worth 2x Chaloboah for example. For me he's a £40-50m player tops.

Unless he moved to the right then I don’t really understand the links. By all accounts we have very little money to play with, Martinez needs a partner.

I’m also convinced Shaw needs to move to left centre back to prolong his career.

I mean for context, Trevor Chaloboah has shown a lot of potential and proven run of games post his injury, and he's able to play RB and CB. He'll be available for around £25m.

As I said Branthwaite is very good but he's not worth 2x Chaloboah for example. For me he's a £40-50m player tops.

The disrespect! His name isn't Trevor. Or Chaloboah.

Trevoh Chalobah.