Jarrad Branthwaite

Ferdinand had just had an excellent World Cup and was already considered one of the world’s best defenders. What a bizarre comparison.

We also only doubled his salary, which was reasonable given his improvements since he had signed for Leeds. You can’t adjust his wage with us for inflation and not the Leeds one and then claim it quadrupled.

It's not about doubling/triple his salary but paying him according to his role. The going rate for an EPL top club first team CB is around 140k-160k (Stones 250k, Van Dijk 220k, Saliba 190k, Dias 180k, Ake 160k, White 150k, Martinez 120k).

Fair enough if he's who we want, wouldn't be my choice but then what do I know. Key above all is that we do not let Everton rinse us here.

There are a lot of good, young CBs about at the moment. There's no shortage of options and so this should only go through if the terms are very decent.

It's not about doubling his salary but paying him according to his role. The going rate for an EPL top club first team CB is around 140k-160k (Stones 250k, Van Dijk 220k, Saliba 190k, Dias 180k, Ake 160k, White 150k, Martinez 120k)

Martinez on 120k should tell you something, a player with a lot more experience in UCL and internationally
Undoubtedly in a couple of years if Braithwaite is doing well he will also want to renegotiate his contract, starting as high as we are for someone with few England caps is not a good start

We’re supposed to be bringing wages in line with sensible rates other clubs pat and reducing the squad wage as a whole, per the message of Jim and his new direction for the club. Unless there’s legitimate competition for his signature and £150k ish is what he’s being offered elsewhere, there’s really no need to pay him so much when he’s coming from so little, relatively.

He’s also coming in and earning more than two of our most lauded youngsters who are coming out of the season highly praised. Why should that be?

I’d be interested in knowing what the going rate is for players of his profile going to Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa or Spurs. If it’s in line with what they pay, fait enough, but as far as I’m aware Liverpool aren’t anything like as generous until players earn their stripes at the club, which is what we should be striving for with anything but the players you have to really ward off a host of clubs to land.

You will never get the going rate because the wages are reported differently and club does lot of PR on that.

So think on these lines, every player we sign are paid shit loads of money, every player our rivals sign are on modest wages. We get lot of shit for that. So why is the total wage for these clubs more than ManUtd?

£60m is the max I’d go but I’d say he’d be worth that. He’s young, has had a full season in the league and has shown some exceptional qualities - he’s very good in the air, gets goals, has a decent long pass on him, is strong AND relatively quick but my favourite thing about him is he’s super aggressive and front footed.

We’re clearly looking for a Martinez understudy and he can do that easily but he can also play left back, where we also have a problem. He’s probably seen as the one player to solve both those issues. Don’t think it’ll stop us getting a right sided defender at all (which I think will be Todibo after getting knocked back for Yorro)

I like his aggression and physicality, from what I've seen hes prepared to engage in the areas our players retreat . To play high we need players who aren't afraid to commit high . I'm hopeful he will really help with that.

If he was naturally right sided , I'd be really pleased with him and Martinez , as it is we definitely need a righty aswell .

It's vital that we get someone strong in the air alongside Martinez who is very weak. Branthwaite ticks that box.

Yes. Branthwaite, who is a highly rated defender who manly believe will be elite.

I’m sure the same was said about a young Ferdinand at the time. Why are United paying “x” amount for an untested defender, why are they paying him that much etc etc

In fact we paid Ferdinand, (adjusted for inflation in 2024) - 125k per week, when signing for United in 2002.

At Leeds he was on 30k a week, so we’ve 4x his wages. Effectively what we’re doing now to Branthwaite.

So in reality, it’s more or less the same transfer as it was in 2002.

So anything else to complain about?

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2000/nov/24/newsstory.sport4

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2002/jul/23/newsstory.sport3

Ferdinand had been playing in the PL for West Ham and Leeds, Leeds who had been challenging for the title and reached the semi finals of the CL under O'Leary.

By the time Utd went for him he already had 6/7 seasons of PL football and CL football under his belt and had come back from a good world cup. He was a regular England International from 1998 onwards. There question marks, but he certainly wasn't untested by any means.

It's vital that we get someone strong in the air alongside Martinez who is very weak. Branthwaite ticks that box.

I don't think he would be coming in as Martínez's RCB partner. He'll either take the LCB from Martínez who gets pushed to LB, or Branthwaite will be the LB with Martínez LCB. Branthwaite could play on the right side occasionally, but he's definitely not coming in as the mainstay RCB, if we sign him.

This is such a nonsense post. Martinez is not weak. It's like the Jaime Redknapp school of thought of lazily checking height and assuming theyr'e weak in the air

This is such a nonsense post. Martinez is not weak. It's like the Jaime Redknapp school of thought of lazily checking height and assuming theyr'e weak in the air

Don't you not know? Small = weak.

I have seen Lisandro bully big ST on more than one occasion. He also does alot of good work defensively for set pieces.

he may not be a big but lets be fair, he finds a way to position himself in a way where he can leap.

You will never get the going rate because the wages are reported differently and club does lot of PR on that.

So think on these lines, every player we sign are paid shit loads of money, every player our rivals sign are on modest wages. We get lot of shit for that. So why is the total wage for these clubs more than ManUtd?
I’m aware Arsenal used to have a policy of paying their own youngsters a lot, which will be why their bill is high. Liverpool, I’m not sure on their policy, but ours has been OTT for a long time now, and this was supposed to be the time when we’d bring it line and establish new precedence, but if the rumoured wage is true, we’re doing anything but, especially so as this is our first transaction of the summer, by which some agents will surely be measuring the worth of their clients by in relation to us.

Do something and earn, or be highly sought after and thus force our hand per wages, but don’t pay excessively without cause. A move to us and doubling of wages is huge for the player, one would think, especially so when knowing that impressing here quickly has that initial wage boosted to very competitive rates.

I don’t see us paying £70mil, I think Ineos will get the deal done without overpaying like we have in the past.

I fully expect him to stay but I don't really see the value in keeping him on beyond the obvious of not being able to sign enough players to fill all the voids in our squad. The club has made its decision to embrace the transition without any real expectation by keeping Ten Hag on, so I'd just use the opportunity to purge the squad of all players we want to be rid of longer term now.

If we achieve nothing else, we might at least get the squad closer to the right shape for the next manager.

Firstly, the club has made no such decision, that sounds like no more than a tantrum on your part.

Secondly, it is these senior players that help with the transition, rather than simply hanging talented but young players out to dry when they are not performing. They need to be developed at a fair and organic pace.

Martinez on 120k should tell you something, a player with a lot more experience in UCL and internationally
Undoubtedly in a couple of years if Braithwaite is doing well he will also want to renegotiate his contract, starting as high as we are for someone with few England caps is not a good start

Martinez came straight from the Eredivisie who has a huge failing rate in the EPL. Martinez salary is slightly higher to tiny Timber and Botman (90k each). First team CBs at top clubs with EPL experience are paid more as shown before.

It tells me that he's underpaid. Especially relative to United salaries.

Not really. We brought him from the Eredivisie which means zero EPL/top league experience. Players in his circumstances such as Timber and Botman are paid less.

I didn't say he's not high potential. I'm saying he's not the only CB on the market who is, and he's a lot more expensive than those.
But take Yoro, they want about £50m for someone who's never even played in the league. Assuming we end up paying £60m is £10M really "overpaying" considering everything Braithwaite has in his favour.

I don't think he would be coming in as Martínez's RCB partner. He'll either take the LCB from Martínez who gets pushed to LB, or Branthwaite will be the LB with Martínez LCB. Branthwaite could play on the right side occasionally, but he's definitely not coming in as the mainstay RCB, if we sign him.
I wouldn't be so sure. I'd be very surprised if we pay big money for effectively a back up to Shaw/Martinez.

Isn’t this lad poor with the ball at his feet? How will this help the manager resolve the distribution issues we’ve had all season from defence?
Absolutely not. People think he is because his stats don't look great but that's because he plays for Sean Dyche where playing out from the back isn't the priority for them. If you actually watch him he's very comfortable passing with both feet. He's also only 21 and has a lot more room to grow and will also learn a lot playing alongside Martinez.

I would guess offering him good wages and agreeing terms with him is to put pressure on Everton. They are under immense pressure to sell, and if nobody else is willing to pay him those wages and he wants to come here, they can't even get a bidding war started.

I don’t see us paying £70mil, I think Ineos will get the deal done without overpaying like we have in the past.

I hope so, but United tax is a real thing. So hopefully we have an alternative like Tobido lined up so we can show the market we mean business.

Not properly convinced by this guy, but he’s been a season long target who does fulfil some very obvious flaws in the side.

Just hope the limitations/bits we haven’t seen from him owing to his current club structure aren’t going to be a nasty surprise for us when he does get game time here.

I'm speaking purely in terms of current ability.

The Eredivisie has a way of fooling people. Take Van De Beek for example. At Ajax he looked as if he was the second coming of the Christ. Then he came to the EPL and.....That's not unique btw. Kluivert was supposed to be the next Van Basten. His career was decent but nowhere near to that of the legend. Back in my day the Dutch took the Serie A by surprise with the famous three Dutch men (Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard). Inter being Inter tried to copy their cousins with their own Dutch men and it didn't exactly worked well. Bergkamp was incredibly promising in Holland, he tanked massively in Italy and then he rescued his career in the EPL (who was way weaker at the time then it is now) while Jonk was very ordinary. Anyway Clubs take that into account at least when handling their first contract to the player.

That doesn't mean that its not worth investing in Dutch players. Two days ago I met SAF's best CB ever and he was Dutch.

Last edited:
Yes, with stats to back it up (literally the lowest percentile for aerials won). He is a weakness on set pieces whether you like it or not.
https://fbref.com/en/players/bac46a10/scout/365_m1/Lisandro-Martinez-Scouting-Report

Ten Hag has even referenced it himself.
I don't like it - because it isn't true. I actually agree with your general point that we should be signing a more aerielly dominant player to play alongside him. However, Martinez is not "very weak" in the air. He's perfectly competent.

I’m aware Arsenal used to have a policy of paying their own youngsters a lot, which will be why their bill is high. Liverpool, I’m not sure on their policy, but ours has been OTT for a long time now, and this was supposed to be the time when we’d bring it line and establish new precedence, but if the rumoured wage is true, we’re doing anything but, especially so as this is our first transaction of the summer, by which some agents will surely be measuring the worth of their clients by in relation to us.

Do something and earn, or be highly sought after and thus force our hand per wages, but don’t pay excessively without cause. A move to us and doubling of wages is huge for the player, one would think, especially so when knowing that impressing here quickly has that initial wage boosted to very competitive rates.

In theory yes. In reality none of the big clubs will bring down their wage bill. The going rate for players is high, so is their wages.

Also we have no idea what this 150k per week means, whether it's including all possible add ons (which is how it's reported for ManUtd) or based wage (which is how it's reported for clubs who are mindful of PR)

We have seen for years now Liverpool pay low wages and ManUtd overpay, but their wage bill is higher than us and when both of us finished around same position without winning anything, wage bill was lower or just as much as Liverpool. PR is a powerful tool to change the perception but looks like club doesn't care about it.

They are not mutually exclusive.

How does that make sense. If one is penny pinching then they will look for bargain basement signing, free signing rather than paying double of the player's worth.

I hope so, but United tax is a real thing. So hopefully we have an alternative like Tobido lined up so we can show the market we mean business.

Maybe I’m too optimistic but I really think those days are long gone. I feel there’s a clear plan now even with the players we’re linked with.

I also like the way we’re not bending over to Newcastles demands regarding Ashworth!

I don't like it - because it isn't true. I actually agree with your general point that we should be signing a more aerielly dominant player to play alongside him. However, Martinez is not "very weak" in the air. He's perfectly competent.
Stats and eye test say otherwise. Ten Hag even substituted him in a game (Wolves) because in his words "we needed an extra header". He knows it's a weakness (for what his opinion is worth).

I wouldn't be so sure. I'd be very surprised if we pay big money for effectively a back up to Shaw/Martinez.

Shaw cannot play 50 games a season. He needs to be managed to probably 1 game per week at most. Martínez and Branthwaite can easily play together as LB and LCB, as they can switch between roles during games several times if needed. In possession, both of them can take the CCB or LCB if we switch to a back 3 in such situations. Both of them would get enough playtime IMO, as there are always injuries, suspensions, changes, etc.

We’re supposed to be bringing wages in line with sensible rates other clubs pat and reducing the squad wage as a whole, per the message of Jim and his new direction for the club. Unless there’s legitimate competition for his signature and £150k ish is what he’s being offered elsewhere, there’s really no need to pay him so much when he’s coming from so little, relatively.

He’s also coming in and earning more than two of our most lauded youngsters who are coming out of the season highly praised. Why should that be?

I’d be interested in knowing what the going rate is for players of his profile going to Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa or Spurs. If it’s in line with what they pay, fait enough, but as far as I’m aware Liverpool aren’t anything like as generous until players earn their stripes at the club, which is what we should be striving for with anything but the players you have to really ward off a host of clubs to land.

United: Varane 340k, Maguire 190k, Martínez 120k, Lindelöf 120k, Evans 65k, Kambwala 7.5k

Arsenal: Saliba 190k, White 150k, Gabriel 100k, Timber 90k, Kiwior 58k

Chelsea: Fofana 200k, Sarr 120k, Silva 110k, Colwill 100k, Badiashile 90k, Disasi 80k, Chalobah 50k

Liverpool: van Dijk 220k, Matip 100k, Gomez 85k, Konaté 70k, Quansah 15k

City: Stones 250k, Gvardiol 200k, Akanji 180k, Dias 180k, Aké 160k

Newcastle: Botman 90k, Schar 45k, Lascelles 40k

Spurs: Romero 165k, Dragusin 85k, van de Ven 50k

I think 150k-160k for Branthwaite's first contract is just a little too much. 100-120 is what we should be offering him probably