Jarrad Branthwaite

Only just realized this is the same guy that played for PSV on loan last season and left far from a lasting impression in the Eredivisie.

Spending 50m on him let alone 70-80m when we have limited money to spend would be absurdly stupid and would show the new regime is no better than the previous one. I hope Everton stand firm and this doesn't happen.

So you would be happy with Martinez, Maguire, Evans and Lindelof for Central Defence?

You pay £50m and he gives you 10 years, that's a pretty good deal. Obviously there's a risk he doesn't give you 10 years, but even if you get 5 years out of him, £50m is a good enough deal for a young central defender who has yet to hit his prime.

I'd rather have Yoro but he'll be one who will end up in Madrid after 5 years, likely on a free after running his contract down.

But what if the club are not prepared to sell?
Theoretically then any club can approach any player and agree terms without informing the parent club and I always thought there were rules in place to stop that.
Of course it would be different if Everton had made it well known they were open to offers regarding their player but have you seen that reported anywhere?

It's very common practice. Clubs meet with agents and agree the outline of the deal before making move.

Only just realized this is the same guy that played for PSV on loan last season and left far from a lasting impression in the Eredivisie.

Eredivisie is not the place to really judge players tbh.

Gapko, Antony, Ziyech, Donny all looked like class players and can't hack the PL.

We have seen Branthwaite play well all season for Everton.

Plenty of young players go on loan and don't set the world alight.

I can see the Hojlund scenario all over again.
Not really as there's an obvious timeline for Everton to sell someone. I don't know if Onana is likely to be sold by then instead, but at the moment, this is their ticket out of PSR trouble.

Like harry kane.

I know nothing about this lad but I thought we had moved past paying mad money for players, is there not a plan b? Another option? We need a decent number of recruits in this summer. Maybe he's worth it I have no idea.

Another mediocre English player to pay double their value for. God speed brexit fc.

We won’t get Yoro and we won’t get Todibo, there’s zero chance penny pinching Ineos will sanction spending 90-100m on two cbs in one summer.
You’re a real glass half full kinda guy aren’t you hobbers

Another mediocre English player to pay double their value for. God speed brexit fc.

We won’t get Yoro and we won’t get Todibo, there’s zero chance penny pinching Ineos will sanction spending 90-100m on two cbs in one summer.

Penny pinching Ineos but they are paying double the value of player? :lol:

Like harry kane.

I know nothing about this lad but I thought we had moved past paying mad money for players, is there not a plan b? Another option? We need a decent number of recruits in this summer. Maybe he's worth it I have no idea.
Firstly it sounds like negotiations are just starting so we are nowhere near an offer so talk of “mad money” is premature.

Secondly, we were linked to Yoro and Todibo at the same time this news dropped so yes it sounds like we do have other options.

Would be a decent start to the window at the right price. I'll always prefer PL proven to fancy names from Europe that 99% of us have never seen play.

I’m actually of the view that Maguire should probably stay now. We can’t just have a bunch of teenagers and no senior pros. Most of our senior pros are very useless, so Maguire at 30 is probably one worth having around.
I fully expect him to stay but I don't really see the value in keeping him on beyond the obvious of not being able to sign enough players to fill all the voids in our squad. The club has made its decision to embrace the transition without any real expectation by keeping Ten Hag on, so I'd just use the opportunity to purge the squad of all players we want to be rid of longer term now.

If we achieve nothing else, we might at least get the squad closer to the right shape for the next manager.

Yoro and Todibo
Yoro or Todibo

Going for Brainthwaite would suggest that we are looking to strengthen the left center back position. Yoro and Todibo are both are right footed, right sided CB's, so it's doesn't make sense saying, "Why are we going for this guy when Yoro and Todibo are available". Inacio is the other left footed CB were are linked with that makes sense if we are suggesting alternatives to Brainthwaite. Though, I am sure he'll cost a pretty penny too.

Firstly it sounds like negotiations are just starting so we are nowhere near an offer so talk of “mad money” is premature.

Secondly, we were linked to Yoro and Todibo at the same time this news dropped so yes it sounds like we do have other options.

Excellent. All I have seen is that we have agreed personal terms and Everton want 70-80 million.

I have to be honest I have ignored all transfer talk this summer until I saw that.

All this doubled, tripled his wages misses the point. So let's say we sign a CB who is already on 300k and we give him 450k, will you guys be okay saying we gave only 50% hike?

Player we sign will be given contract as per the squad standards. If we are signing him for first team, then he will be paid like a ManUtd first team player. That's how it works.

If you adopt that approach then you never correct the fact that we have historically overpaid. If Branthwaite stays at Everton, they won’t pay him £150k, so he’s not going to turn down a dream move because we initially pay him slightly less.

Further, the first team squad are all on vastly different wages. The direct comparable is Hojlund, who is on £85k, and that’s about what you’d expect for us to pay a young player who isn’t an international first choice (or even 26-man squad) player yet and is currently on a £35k deal negotiated just this year.

If he establishes himself as first choice then he will of course get an increase fairly shortly. However, if he happened to flop, we will be much better placed to sell him if he isn’t already on wages beyond what most mid-table premier league clubs might pay.

I will caveat its limited to a small handful of games and the 15+ minute highlight videos, but I feel he's not worth more than £40m.

Good on both feet, looks quick but he goes to ground a lot and can be brushed off somewhat. I'm not sure how he is in the air - perhaps someone can educate me on that. The reason it's not worth more than 40m is because valuation is all relative. There are some very high potential CBs out on the market right now, I'm not sure spending more than 40-50m on Branthwaite would be smart.

Would make a lot of sense to get someone like him + Braithwaite to completely rejuvenate our CB options.
Put this in the Anselmino thread, but I think this is likely what we'll do this summer. I'm not sure why every one thinks we're going to buy another right footed CB first when we have Maguire, Lindelof and Kambwala.

"Why do players struggle to settle in Manchester?"

"fecking Brexit signings, why are we signing English players?"

If you adopt that approach then you never correct the fact that we have historically overpaid. If Branthwaite stays at Everton, they won’t pay him £150k, so he’s not going to turn down a dream move because we initially pay him slightly less.

Further, the first team squad are all on vastly different wages. The direct comparable is Hojlund, who is on £85k, and that’s about what you’d expect for us to pay a young player who isn’t an international first choice (or even 26-man squad) player yet and is currently on a £35k deal negotiated just this year.

If he establishes himself as first choice then he will of course get an increase fairly shortly. However, if he happened to flop, we will be much better placed to sell him if he isn’t already on wages beyond what most mid-table premier league clubs might pay.

There is a reason why all top/big clubs have big wage bills compared to mid table clubs. They all pay big wages.

Yeah...right...

Branthwaite is a player in demand, his performances in the Netherlands so full of promise that he is wanted not only by PSV and Everton, but is also being tracked by a host of top clubs across Europe.

“I told the previous technical director to sign Jarrad very quickly,” Van Nistelrooy told Dutch publication Voetbal International. “And I say it now to the current one.

“Jarrad has really fought his way into the team. He got his chance and took it, so I am satisfied. I see Jarrad as a key player and that’s how we see him internally.”

Former PSV manager Aad de Mos, meanwhile, said he “wouldn’t hesitate” to sign Branthwaite, even at the lofty numbers reported.

The first real test for Ineos.

Are they stupid enough to pay £70/80 million or do they walk away and move on to a better priced target?

I will caveat its limited to a small handful of games and the 15+ minute highlight videos, but I feel he's not worth more than £40m.

Good on both feet, looks quick but he goes to ground a lot and can be brushed off somewhat. I'm not sure how he is in the air - perhaps someone can educate me on that. The reason it's not worth more than 40m is because valuation is all relative. There are some very high potential CBs out on the market right now, I'm not sure spending more than 40-50m on Branthwaite would be smart.
Why is he not very high potential? He's 21 and had one season at prem level at a very good standard. Arguably he's the best u23 defender in the league. He's great in the air at both ends, he doesn't loose the ball much, versatile to play in our system and big scope for improvement.

For reference: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...2023&land_id=&pos=Abwehr&spielerposition_id=3

Profile of player makes sense. Price does not. Move on unless Everton's financial struggles mean something can get done.

At some stage we need to stop being the second worst club in the world w/r to transfers (thanks Todd!)

While its important not to overpay in terms of fees, its even more important not to overpay in terms of salary. That's were the real dosh is spent. Rumors say that we're paying him around 150k a week. That's good as it puts him at par with most first team CBs at top clubs (Stones 250k, Van Dijk 220k, Saliba 190k, Dias 180k, Ake 160k, White 150k, Martinez 120k)

Would be an excellent deal for 50-55m. 58-60 is the furthest I'd go.

He's not mediocre and better than Todibo.

So you would be happy with Martinez, Maguire, Evans and Lindelof for Central Defence?

You pay £50m and he gives you 10 years, that's a pretty good deal. Obviously there's a risk he doesn't give you 10 years, but even if you get 5 years out of him, £50m is a good enough deal for a young central defender who has yet to hit his prime.

I'd rather have Yoro but he'll be one who will end up in Madrid after 5 years, likely on a free after running his contract down.

No, If it was up to me I'd completely revamp our CB position this summer bar Martinez but not with Brantwaite.

I don't rate him that highly and would rather we look other options around Europe. I'm sure there are better value for the money talked about and if Branthwaite is the best our recruiting team can come up with, then we have no hope.

Signing a player with the expectation of him staying 10 years is not realistic anyway. That rarely happens and also for that to be a good acquisition (even for 5 years), the player in question should be of the quality that will perform week in week out & who'll be mainstay like Rio was. I don't think Brantwaite is that.

And you can't give up trying to sign the very best and settle for worse just because Madrid could come knocking in 5 years time.

Why is he not very high potential? He's 21 and had one season at prem level at a very good standard. Arguably he's the best u23 defender in the league. He's great in the air at both ends, he doesn't loose the ball much, versatile to play in our system and big scope for improvement.

For reference: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...2023&land_id=&pos=Abwehr&spielerposition_id=3
I didn't say he's not high potential. I'm saying he's not the only CB on the market who is, and he's a lot more expensive than those.

No, If it was up to me I'd completely revamp our CB position this summer bar Martinez but not with Brantwaite.

I don't rate him that highly and would rather we look other options around Europe. I'm sure there are better value for the money talked about and if Branthwaite is the best our recruiting team can come up with, then we have no hope.

Signing a player with the expectation of him staying 10 years is not realistic anyway. That rarely happens and also for that to be a good acquisition (even for 5 years), the player in question should be of the quality that will perform week in week out & who'll be mainstay like Rio was. I don't think Brantwaite is that.

And you can't give up trying to sign the very best and settle for worse just because Madrid could come knocking in 5 years time.

I think we are trying to get Yoro but have competition from Real and Liverpool, so we have to have other options, Branthwaite being one of them.

I suspect why we are going for this now is due to Everton's FFP position where they feel they can pressure them to sell before June 30th for cheaper.

Ferdinand had just had an excellent World Cup and was already considered one of the world’s best defenders. What a bizarre comparison.

We also only doubled his salary, which was reasonable given his improvements since he had signed for Leeds. You can’t adjust his wage with us for inflation and not the Leeds one and then claim it quadrupled.
That was quite the oversight for me wasn’t it :lol: - It wasn’t as intentional as you’re making out however, as it simply was a mistake.

Granted, I haven't seen that much of him. But from what I have, he's never really left much of an impression. Largely average. I remember him being particularly terrible against United and Chelsea, though. From highlights, he seems to go to ground a lot and his passing consists of lobbing the ball forward. Not really anything that stands out. Looks like a counterattacking player, and I've had it with that crap style of football.

70 million is absurd, of course, and should not even be considered. Which probably means the club will pay 80 million. But I'd rather get someone else entirely. Or two for that price.

Last edited:
All this doubled, tripled his wages misses the point. So let's say we sign a CB who is already on 300k and we give him 450k, will you guys be okay saying we gave only 50% hike?

Player we sign will be given contract as per the squad standards. If we are signing him for first team, then he will be paid like a ManUtd first team player. That's how it works.
We’re supposed to be bringing wages in line with sensible rates other clubs pat and reducing the squad wage as a whole, per the message of Jim and his new direction for the club. Unless there’s legitimate competition for his signature and £150k ish is what he’s being offered elsewhere, there’s really no need to pay him so much when he’s coming from so little, relatively.

He’s also coming in and earning more than two of our most lauded youngsters who are coming out of the season highly praised. Why should that be?

I’d be interested in knowing what the going rate is for players of his profile going to Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa or Spurs. If it’s in line with what they pay, fait enough, but as far as I’m aware Liverpool aren’t anything like as generous until players earn their stripes at the club, which is what we should be striving for with anything but the players you have to really ward off a host of clubs to land.

I've only watched highlights of him, but even in those highlights he looks clumsy to me.

Not sure why we'd be going near this for the price being touted, or for any price at all really. Is he really good enough regardless of the price?