Jarrad Branthwaite

Shame he’s not. If Todibo was half the player, we could just buy Twodibo’s and field both in a 5-2-3-1.
:lol: with our amount of injuries we need 3 players per position anyway?

Given the circles I run in, that’s almost a certainty.
:lol:

We've also started doing this weird thing where he's a CB being signed from a smaller PL club for big-ish money, therefore he's Maguire. He's English, therefore we must just be doing Brexit FC. I've heard of him, therefore INEOS mustn't be doing any under-the-radar signings. Some people are speaking in favour of signing him in his thread, therefore he's Mason Mount.... etc etc
We're traumatized as a fanbase.

Based on some games that I watched him last season, I saw centre back who has the composure means he doesn’t just do non-sense defending or clearing the ball randomly, two footed centre back in defending and passing, a tall one to win aerial duel and be a threat in set pieces, and he’s not a slow centre back like Maguire.

A 196cm centre back who has composure and can use both feet. Some unique assets to have for centre back. If he’s coached properly in defending and in possession plus add his unique assets to the game, he can become a top class centre back.

Hopefully, the price is around £50m-£55m max.

Reactions: Dargonk
:lol:

We're traumatized as a fanbase.

Yeah seriously. We need a few signings to come off. Apart from Bruno who else came through in the past few years? The academy boys (Rashford, Greenwood, Garnacho, Mainoo) we're so much better than any new signing.

Even Ronaldo, Casemiro and Varane were somewhat mediocre even if they did have some highs.

Haven't really seen him play. Don't like it when we buy players from other clubs within the Prem. PL tax + United tax + English tax(in this case).

I bet you could find CB's of similar quality for like almost half the reported price of Branthwaite, in France, Portugal etc.

Based on some games that I watched him last season, I saw centre back who has the composure means he doesn’t just do non-sense defending or clearing the ball randomly, two footed centre back in defending and passing, a tall one to win aerial duel and be a threat in set pieces, and he’s not a slow centre back like Maguire.

A 196cm centre back who has composure and can use both feet. Some unique assets to have for centre back. If he’s coached properly in defending and in possession plus add his unique assets to the game, he can become a top class centre back.

Hopefully, the price is around £50m-£55m max.
These are a conflict.

Nice to see us moving away from the whole Dutch league thing.
200w.gif
Technically it continues since Branthwaite went on loan to PSV before.

So I didn’t watch a ton of Everton games… like 4 total? But netting that would worry me is that he looks like a guy who thrives in low block counter teams, only responsible for the three feet or so to either side of him before a player closed down with help.

The times I saw Everton behind, or trying to venture out so he had to defend in any sort of space? He looked like one of those pigs rotating on a spit; clueless and cooked. Palmer nutmegged him twice on the same dribble ….

He is a big lad, but are you going to play in a way that fits him?

I like the look of him. Great recovery pace if you're playing a high-line

I suspect Ineos will bulk at whatever Everton demand though

So I didn’t watch a ton of Everton games… like 4 total? But netting that would worry me is that he looks like a guy who thrives in low block counter teams, only responsible for the three feet or so to either side of him before a player closed down with help.

The times I saw Everton behind, or trying to venture out so he had to defend in any sort of space? He looked like one of those pigs rotating on a spit; clueless and cooked. Palmer nutmegged him twice on the same dribble ….

He is a big lad, but are you going to play in a way that fits him?

We're lacking in physicality on the ground and in the air so purely on a baseline level, he has some very good attributes for us, which will be useful from the get go (i.e as a first teamer).

I expect/hope we will play a higher line next year but I don't think we will start playing half way line, super high press stuff that will leave the likes of Branthwaite/Martinez on their own many times a game or at least for them to get exposed too much. He will get good help defence from the likes of Dalot and Martinez beside him, so he won't need to commit so clumsily or be so gung-ho; because of his size, he will just need to stand his ground, jostle and react accordingly. As long as he can contribute defensively proactively and generally be composed with the ball (by passing it quickly and progressively to other players), on paper he should be a good signing for us.

That's my general thoughts based on extremely limited viewing, highlight videos and the consensus here.

Apparently he is actually right-footed?

"He’s often described as a left-footed central defender - but he's actually right-footed. However, he's so accomplished with both feet that there is genuine belief that he’s left-footed."

Source: BBC Sport

I like him. Ball playing defender, good with both feet, tall so that will help us massively at both ends of the pitch, pretty agile and quick for a big guy. Only problem is the price tag. I would much rather spend big on a DM and keep Maguire - and I rather dislike Maguire so that says a lot.

We’ll pay for him what buys us 2 centre backs from the continent. With our lack of budget it’s an absolute no from me.

this is just begging to be maguire 2.0 and we cant do it, we just cant

I think with Brantwaithe it's about getting the potential best English defender of his generation.

Maguire was never that because he wasn't young when we bought him & that player was Stones. I think this is like going for our Phil Jones transfer.

I've got no problem with this.if he is left footed great then we are going for a left footed CB aswell as a RCB. It's that building our team from the back mentality.

My guess is that its Yoro & Brantwaithe.

Yoro, Brantwaithe, Martinez, Maguire/Lindelof & Willy is a very physical group of defenders and i look forward to it.

If we fail in getting Yoro then i think we will go for Todibo who i don't rate that high. However i feel like we will entice yoro with a high contract than brantwaithe but not breaking a wage structure either - paying for a player near his prime rather than paying him a 18 year olds wage that Real Madrid would offer. Both Yoro or Todibo should be generally cheaper individually than Brantwaithe aswell.

I think we can negotiate Brantwaithe down to 50 mil + add ons due to Evertons problems & Brantwaithe pleading to come here, Yoro for about 40.

That's immediately sorting our central defence near the cost of Maguires transfer cost so i don't think its a waste of money or unable to achieve.

I think we are staying with our RB's & seeing how Amass progresses in pre-season befofe going for a left back but i have a feeling we might go for Alphonso Davies and give him the high contract he wants at Bayern.

I think we will see who we get the best offer for Maguire or Lindelof in the summer. Maguire can get sold for 35 million or Lindelof for 20 million. Both right footed CB who are good enough for mid table PL sides. I doubt we will sell both due for squad depth unless there is a new RCB who is better than Willy in our youth system.

Dalot/AWB-Yoro/Lindelof-Brantw/Martinez- Shaw/Davies or Amass

:drool:

I'd prefer to keep Maguire over Lindelof but i have a sneaky feeling that Ten Hag might value Lindelof more and we would get the higher transfer price from Maguire than Lindelof.

Transfers for this season -
1. Yoro 37 mil
2. Brantwaithe 50mil
3. Davies (statement signing - depends if he wants a high contract and is okay playing in Europa League for a year) unsure of price because he is free next year
4. Zirkzee 35 mil
5. Wharton 65 mil

Approx 180-200 million worth of transfers.

5 transfers

Last edited:
Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Apparently he is actually right-footed?

"He’s often described as a left-footed central defender - but he's actually right-footed. However, he's so accomplished with both feet that there is genuine belief that he’s left-footed."

Source: BBC Sport

This is awesome.

@SilentWitness so is he right footed or left footed?

I genuinely can’t believe we’re again about to repeat the past mistakes, seems like this leadership change did absolutely nothing.

Yeah seriously. We need a few signings to come off. Apart from Bruno who else came through in the past few years? The academy boys (Rashford, Greenwood, Garnacho, Mainoo) we're so much better than any new signing.

Even Ronaldo, Casemiro and Varane were somewhat mediocre even if they did have some highs.
We need sensible recruitment and team building, rather than throwing money at individuals left right a la Woody style.

I haven't watched much of this Jarrad guy, but we need a couple of CB's this window at minimum so I hope the recruitment team gets it right this time.

Dalot, Holjund, Martinez

We need sensible recruitment and team building, rather than throwing money at individuals left right a la Woody style.

I haven't watched much of this Jarrad guy, but we need a couple of CB's this window at minimum so I hope the recruitment team gets it right this time.

You'd hope Ashworth technically talking go OT from a string cup system from his garden knows a thing or two about recruitment

I genuinely can’t believe we’re again about to repeat the past mistakes, seems like this leadership change did absolutely nothing.

How? We seem to have alternatives lined up in Yoro, Todibo and De Ligt. We won't be paying 80m for Branthwaite. They've shown they can't be bullied in the Ashworth saga.

Does he play RCB @SilentWitness ?

With ETH staying Martinez will play at LCB whenever he is fit. I am a bit perplexed why would we go with another LCB at such a high price. We should be looking at a back-up for that position.

Or has the penny dropped and ETH will play Martinez as an inverted LB next season?

Everton.com: By position on the field, Branthwaite is deployed as a left-footed centre half, but a former coach claims him to be right-footed instead. So which is it?

Branthwaite: “I am left-footed, but I’ve got a five-star weak foot on the new FIFA!” he says with a humble but beaming smile as if to hint there is some truth to the claim. As the topic is pushed further, it’s clear he is comfortable on both sides. “If I’m hitting a long pass, I’ll go with my left; short passes with my right.”

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/3719...position on the field,some truth to the claim.

This is ramping up, first day of transfer window. Trying to get it done quick. Just please don’t pay 70m. Most of our budget. I’d say 50 at most. It helps that he isn’t in the England squad.

What’s he on at Everton?

I don't know, in some websites, I've seen 15KP/W, and in others 35KP/W

And if I had to guess - the salary quoted for his contract with us probably includes bonuses(to amp up the numbers because it's united)

If he's one of two centre-backs we're signing this summer, then this has to be positive. However, the financials are significant.

The transfer fee has to be below £50m. £55m absolute max if we're including performance related add-ons. Everton need to sell for FFP purposes and I don't see any other clubs competing.

As for wages, surely £100-120k is more than adequate. 5 year deal + 1year. Decent performances and he'll be expecting an extension with a pay rise within 3 years. He's coming up to 22yo, if he started off on £150k, it will be £200k next, then anywhere up to £300k for his prime years. We need to take the wage structure seriously now we have cleared some big earners.

This I do tend to agree with. It seems very odd to go straight to the £150-160k reported by Ziegler.

Yeah, I agree, £150-160K is a lot for an up-and-coming defender, unless the £150-160K is heavily incentivized with bonuses and the base salary is around £80-100 on a long-term deal (something like 6+1) which will take care of the club securing him for his prime years of 24-29, that might be a good deal, £150-160 off the bat is too much.

Yeah, I agree, £150-160K is a lot for an up-and-coming defender, unless the £150-160K is heavily incentivized with bonuses and the base salary is around £80-100 on a long-term deal (something like 6+1) which will take care of the club securing him for his prime years of 24-29, that might be a good deal, £150-160 off the bat is too much.

You've just made all that up :lol:

I keep hearing a hard stance from Everton on price but the fact of the matter is they have until the 30th of June to satisfy PSR by I’m sure £50m.

Aston Villa are currently doing swap deals to fix the books. Chelsea have already sold a hotel and are looking at a dodgy swap deal with Villa which will also fix their books.

Newcastle will sell Bruno for good money. So my thing is what are Everton planning on doing except acting stubborn.

They don’t have many sellable assets and for the ones they do have. DCL isn’t going to sell for much Onana has a heavy purchase price against him which would mean they would have to double their money to satisfy PSR.

So this will be an interesting watch. They won’t get their asking price and if they hang on to him, unless they have a creative fire sale on other players they will start the season with a points deduction.

We aren't paying more than £50m plus addons so people not to stop talking about £70/£80m flat fee

We won’t make the mistake again paying 80m for a player. Right? 50m seems about right. But Everton probably won’t sell for that. Ler’s move on to other players then.