Jarrad Branthwaite

Martyn Ziegler says Everton want around £70M while Simon Stone says they want at least £80M. It's a source off!

I like how mobile and aggressive he is and how he wins so many duels of the ball, because that is something we sorely lack. Problem is that one of the only players we do have that has those qualities plays in the exact same position.

Can also play at LB which would help with Shaw/Malacia and their injury record.

You need more than one good player for each position. See “United 23/24 injury crisis”

Walk away from this shiteshow. This is the maguire transfer all over again.

Would rather splunk 50m on Yoro.

Why the feck are we even going for another left footed CB? I hope that means we will be buying one more.

I’m modestly excited by this. It’s a transfer that may look better once we know the actual fee, what similar defenders in the market go for this summer and how he lines up with all our other transfers once the window closes.

I think the lad has talent and Everton obviously have every right to demand a fee they believe represents their value of him. If however the fees buzzing around in the press are true, I honestly hope the new regime has learnt lessons from the past and don't throw stupid money at him. You would like to think the club wouldn't go past £45-50m, with other possible targets costing less. You would also hope the supposed wages are total nonsense too, as it would put him on more than players already considered first choice and on par with some who have been here for a long period like Shaw. Setting up another Rashford situation in terms of what his next contract wage would be.

Also funny posturing from Everton considering everyone knows their dire financial situation.

I just hope we tell them to get fecked if they refuse to come down from 70-80m. I like Branthwaite but he’s not Van Dijk at Southampton level of generational prospect.

Getting him and Yoro would be elite business though and transform our spine instantly.

That BBC article from Simon Stone reads like a PR piece intended to drive home on why that fee is justified. They want 80m as they rate him in the same bracket as Gvardiol apparently. I don't know, wasn't Gvardiol already a regular for his national team at the same age?

Anything above 35 - 45m is insane. The club should honorably walk away after such a Good bid is rejected, we would be doing right if we go get someone else of similar qualities, for the exact same fee or less..

The deal will be 40 million with add ons that'll go upto 50 million, is my guess.

The deal will be 40 million with add ons that'll go upto 50 million, is my guess.
Young English CB from another Prem team means I'm alright with the price being 50m. Anything higher than that would be creeping into overpaying territory.

Are others in for him @SilentWitness? If no, why on earth are we paying such a high wage (if what's being reported is true)?

Sets a precedent we're supposedly in the throes of trying to shake off. Even doubling his wages from the £40k p/w rumoured, should be seen as a massive pay day and fair starting point to potentially doubling or tripling that initial wage in the future, if he's good enough to do so.

Sorry he said around £70M not at least.

Either way I don't see us coming close to matching those asking prices. I reckon we're looking to pay around £50M. Lets see if Everton hold out.
Agreed, feels like a game of chicken, which favors us in this case because Everton have a looming deadline

Wouldn’t be the end of the world if the fee started at around 40m then had the potential to hit 55-60m through addons or incentives but 80m is ridiculous we should simply stop negotiating.

Last edited:
Are others in for him @SilentWitness? If no, why on earth are we paying such a high wage (if what's being reported is true)?

Sets a precedent we're supposedly in the throes of trying to shake off. Even doubling his wages from the £40k p/w rumoured, should be seen as a massive pay day and fair starting point to potentially doubling or tripling that initial wage in the future, if he's good enough to do so.

I know City have been tracking him and Ancelotti is a fan and Madrid were tracking him too (not to the extent of Yoro though who is their main target). Really I think that United are the only party at the moment majorly interested with the others on the periphery.

The amusing thing is we have an actual Everton fan who watches him every week saying he’s a class act yet others admitting they’ve seen nothing of him but it’s a disaster of a signing. Comical really.
Yeah, same way Dortmund fans here hyped Sancho. One Leicester fan did the same with Maguire. Mad winger did same with Kagawa, and NLmax with Depay. It means nothing that is necessary or two Everton fans here love him, united fans have every reason to be skeptical, especially when there are cheaper (and similar or better level) players on the continent.

Don't even get me started on the rumoured wages.

I hope this doesn't end up the same way with Mount just 12 months ago where we ended up 'over' paying to a club that needed money.

I can't imagine any other club in the market that would want and could afford Branthwaite at any price over 50m with the wages we're also willing to pay too.

Either there's genuine interest from other clubs that are willing to pay 50m+, which therefore will drive the price up and/or Everton don't need a 50m type of sum as they can sort out financials before their deadline.

Yeah, same way Dortmund fans here hyped Sancho. One Leicester fan did the same with Maguire. Mad winger did same with Kagawa, and NLmax with Depay. It means nothing that is necessary or two Everton fans here love him, united fans have every reason to be skeptical, especially when there are cheaper (and similar or better level) players on the continent.

Don't even get me started on the rumoured wages.

It's not their fault that you ruined them all. :nervous:

I'm not sure how to feel. I think he'd be a success, and he will play for a top English team. But it does feel like the exact sort of transfer we typically make, for the same sort of overblown fee. But if he ended up spending his career here, it wouldn't matter at all.

160k wages rumoured. How much will Mainoo and Garnacho asked for their extension?

Hope that number is mostly performance related.

I know City have been tracking him and Ancelotti is a fan and Madrid were tracking him too (not to the extent of Yoro though who is their main target). Really I think that United are the only party at the moment majorly interested with the others on the periphery.
£150k out the gate, given the circumstances, just seems way out there.

I think players will be offered in exchange. Everton are right up there as ‘frequent destinations’ for the players we move on, they’re just a natural level and obvious club for players not quite good enough for us.

I know they wanted to take Hannibal in January but his own preference at the time was to go to Sevilla, so I would imagine he would be offered to Everton in exchange. Scott Mctominay is another that just screams Everton, but based on last summer, I expect he’s need to be dragged kicking and screaming from Old Trafford. Lindelof could be another, although he seems a but more Inter or Atletico to me. Maybe he could even be offered back to Benfica.

I think players will be offered in exchange. Everton are right up there as ‘frequent destinations’ for the players we move on, they’re just a natural level and obvious club for players not quite good enough for us.

I know they wanted to take Hannibal in January but his own preference at the time was to go to Sevilla, so I would imagine he would be offered to Everton in exchange. Scott Mctominay is another that just screams Everton, but based on last summer, I expect he’s need to be dragged kicking and screaming from Old Trafford. Lindelof could be another, although he seems a but more Inter or Atletico to me. Maybe he could even be offered back to Benfica.

Id be very surprised if we accept any exchange for Branthwaite. Carlisle get a big cut of the transfer fee which is why we want big money for him aside from how good we believe he is.

I have to say I am a bit concerned by the price tag and the wages. The first signing under INEOS is a big statement of intent. To quadruple a young player's salary after a year in the PL and to pay £70m for him is pretty stupid. I hope these figures are way off the mark. If he is on £40k we could easily offer £70-90k. And if he doesn't accept - move on quickly. This is how top clubs to business.