Jarrad Branthwaite

The amusing thing is we have an actual Everton fan who watches him every week saying he’s a class act yet others admitting they’ve seen nothing of him but it’s a disaster of a signing. Comical really.
Most of the concern I'm seeing in here relates to the rumored spending rather than footballing ability

I don't mind people not rating players as highly as others and being skeptical, but I don't like when people just do a quick Google of fbref and judge a player or watch a 10 second clip or judge them on one or two games you play against them in or say he's only worth around 30m, it's just silly.

As always football should be judged on both the eye test and the stats and values of players should be judged on multiple facets such as ability, value to the selling club etc.

If we spend £70m on him I will genuinely give up on this club. I can't take year after year of dumb transfers, it hurts my brain.

Even anything above £40m, we should abandon it and move on. Scout and sign some players properly for once, not just look at upcoming English players and waste huge sums on them like we did with Sancho, AWB and Maguire under Ole. Then we get Ten Haag and paying £70m for any numpty he saw kick a ball once in the Dutch league. I can't take it anymore. Pay me £40k a year and I will genuinely do a better job than the idiots in our club

Imagine the look on you when we sign Neves for 120M

Most of the concern I'm seeing in here relates to the rumored spending rather than footballing ability

Which is equally daft really. We’ve just freed up a massive amount of wages (Martial/Varane) and likely plenty more to follow.

its a nothing concern even if it is true.

Money only really matters if they end up being crap. I get that United fans have trauma regarding that but it's not a given.

I don't mind people not rating players as highly as others and being skeptical, but I don't like when people just do a quick Google of fbref and judge a player or watch a 10 second clip or judge them on one or two games you play against them in or say he's only worth around 30m, it's just silly.

As always football should be judged on both the eye test and the stats and values of players should be judged on multiple facets such as ability, value to the selling club etc.

If you as a footballer in 2024 cant have enough of footage to fill a couple of minute highlight Youtube vids.. chances are you're not that special.

I know youtube compilation only tells half of the story but it still is a compilation and aggregately tells alot about players, at least on fans level of understanding.

Tldr you need to be actually good to have a good YT compilatione

The way some are posting in here you'd think we have an embarrassment of riches at CB.
That's normal, people will complain about anything. If we signed Vini they'd be people saying he's not suited to the prem etc.

How many times have we said this in the past 10 years?
Probably a lot. But if he comes in for anywhere near the reported price of 70m we are setting him and ourselves up for failure with the expectations he's going to be under. If the price is under 50m it's going to be a perfectly acceptable amount even for a squad player. Anything more than and his price is going to be brought up everytime he has a bad game.

There are better defenders on the market that's what makes this more annoying and underwhelming. Sure maybe Yoro is Madrid bound but Ignacio and Tobido are better than Branthwaite.
Watch a lot of French and Portuguese football do you?

Not worth 70 mil. Be surprised if the club pay that much for him
I'd be very surprised too. Everton need the money urgently and it doesn't sound like there's anyone else in for him to drive a bidding war.

Nice to see us moving away from the whole Dutch league thing.
200w.gif

Martial salary was 95k per week when he came. Not 250.

10 years ago? Not sure what your point is but mine is simple. Even if we pay him 150k per week we are still 100k a week better off. We also cleared Varane who was on toward 300k per week.

Those moaning about wages are just complaining for the sake of it.

We've started doing this weird thing again, it happens with all signings and its now happening with Branthwaite.

Rational judgement goes out of the window, we all (well most) start hyping the player up, convincing each other he's exactly what we need, until we reach a state of frenzy just before he signs. Random cherry picked stats and youtube vids go viral. It happens everytime, I remember the buzz around Antony last year, Mount was going to have a revival, Amrabat was the Mbappe crusher etc.

All fans do it, I get it, you hype up your own people up but if we can step out of that bubble for a minute, he isnt worth anywhere near £70m, I'd argue he isnt even worth £50m. Theres deffo a English + United tax with this one.

Last edited:
We've started doing this weird thing again, it happens with all signings and its now happening with Branthwaite.

Rational judgement goes out of the window, we all (well most) start hyping the player up, convincing each other he's exactly what we need, until we reach a state of frenzy just before he signs. Random cherry picked stats and youtube vids go viral. It happens everytime, I remember the buzz around Antony last year, Mount was going to have a revival, Amrabat was the Mbappe crusher etc.

All fans do it, I get it, you hype up your own people but if we can step out of that bubble for a minute, he isnt worth anywhere near £70m, I'd argue he isnt even worth £50m. Theres deffo a English + United tax with this one.

We've also started doing this weird thing where he's a CB being signed from a smaller PL club for big-ish money, therefore he's Maguire. He's English, therefore we must just be doing Brexit FC. I've heard of him, therefore INEOS mustn't be doing any under-the-radar signings. Some people are speaking in favour of signing him in his thread, therefore he's Mason Mount.... etc etc

Outside of the hyperbole in this thread, Is he actually a decent prospect? I haven’t watched much football this year.

All fans do it, I get it, you hype up your own people but if we can step out of that bubble for a minute, he isnt worth anywhere near £70m, I'd argue he isnt even worth £50m. Theres deffo a English + United tax with this one.

Well yeah, it is called the home grown quota. When you find talents that might just be good enough and fulfill that quota, it is going to cost you. Especially if you are thinking of shipping off 4 home grown this window (Maguire, Scott, AWB and Rashford?)

Everton might not want to sell, but with nobody queuing up to pay for Onana, DCL or any of their other players, they might not have a choice.

First real test for the new lads this. Can they hold firm and force a good deal with cards in their hand here.

And if they can’t, will be they be capable of walking away where the lads they’ve replaced couldn’t.

If we sign him and Neves then the spine of our team is so young with loads of potential! Maybe we’re looking long term at the moment?

:lol:

Which is it, do not want to sell or 80 fecking m for this fella?

Cool. If INOES wants everyone to know they are better than the previous regime, they need to walk away from this deal. If reports are true about Everton's PSR situation they are way more desperate to sell than we are desperate to buy. Call their bluff and go for other targets.

If they put a price ( 80m), it means they want to sell him. Not wanting to sell him is when we said "Rashford is not for sale", means we did not put a price in our head.

No, it doesn't. It means we don't want to sell but there are too good to refuse deals.

I think it's natural to be a concerned about certain transfers. But whether Branthwaite is worth his wages or transfer fee is irrelevant at this stage, because the window has to be judged on its entirety. So if the transfer window ends with us improving the team as far as playing a more dominant brand of football, then that is a good window and a step in the right direction imo.

So if the club have a budget and Branthwaite, Todibo, Varela and a striker is bought, then I think that would potentially be a good window and addresses key areas of the team. The problem would arise if you spend way too much on one player and it costs you in other positions which I don't believe would be a good thing.

Yoro to me looks unrealistic (hope I'm wrong) because for one, any player I've recommended early on this forum never seems to join us..:smirk: And secondly I'm not sure Yoro would join us over Madrid or PSG.

All fans do it, I get it, you hype up your own people up but if we can step out of that bubble for a minute, he isnt worth anywhere near £70m, I'd argue he isnt even worth £50m. Theres deffo a English + United tax with this one.

Don't think you've read the room correctly tbh, there's not much hype about this signing and certainly not the touted fee.

Also we can't really avoid the United tax unless the club changes its name.

:lol:

Which is it, do not want to sell or 80 fecking m for this fella?

They can do a fat one if they want Maguire money :lol:

There are too many cheaper, but still good, young options also available this summer to get taken ransom by a club that need to sell regardless.