Jarrad Branthwaite

Haven't have a clue but at 70 mil you'd be hoping to get one of the best prospects not just in pl but Europe as a whole.

Time seems to be on our side here, as there is not much interest and Everton need to sell players I guess

Well, Tarkowski plays in the same system as Branthwaite, yet has markedly better passing stats
And we already have a starting LCB. Isn't that much obvious?

Not really no. How many right footed centre backs were at the club last season and every other season for that matter?

Also I had a look and maybe I'm not doing fbref right but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them, albeit we are talking about passing stats for CBs in a struggling Everton under Dyche.

I don't know enough about this lad either but I don't think we can make too many decisions based on those stats.

Which one is it then
I view Maguire and Varane at a fairly similar level in terms of on the ball ability. Perhaps some see Maguire as slightly better? For me, they are both decent enough, without being Martinez level. That's how I see Branthwaite too. If Gabriel is good enough in possession for Arsenal, then Branthwaite can be for us.

I could see Martinez starting left back, and tucking into a three at the back when we're attacking.
I think it would make more sense to start Martinez centrally and Branthwaite out wide in the build up phase due to Martinez being a better player on the ball. That's assuming we sign a RCB as well to free up Dalot to either provide width or come in-field.

Last edited:
Pretty funny to see the difference in fanbase reactions.

United fans are miffed because we apparently shouldn't pay more than £30m - Everton fans are devastated, want literally any other player to be sold first and want £100m for him. :lol:

United fans are miffed because we apparently shouldn't pay more than £30m - Everton fans are devastated, want literally any other player to be sold first and want £100m for him. :lol:

What would you even get for £30m these days?

Cheers mate. What’s your thinking on him?

I think he's top and I'm going to be sad when he leaves as he's been one of the few positives at the club recently.

I think he might make United fans nervy at times due to the way he plays (front footed with his defending and loves a slide tackles) but he's an exceptional defender and has all the tools to be a top top player.

Good breakdown. A lot of cases where the forward gets the step on him and he uses his pace to recover but apparently he's slow. :rolleyes:

I think he's top and I'm going to be sad when he leaves as he's been one of the few positives at the club recently.

I think he might make United fans nervy at times due to the way he plays (front footed with his defending and loves a slide tackles) but he's an exceptional defender and has all the tools to be a top top player.

Buzzing! Really hope we can get this done then :+1:

I remain sceptical. He's a good player but he lacks real recovery pace, which is a major issue in our defence. I don't know how we can play a much higher line without real speed next to Martinez.

As always the middle is about fair. It's tricky to judge fees in terms of ability because you have to factor in value to the selling club etc. I think a 50-70m fee is about right when you balance everything. I think it will end up being around c. 60m.

I hope we get him and think he’d be worth up to £70, if we don’t get him watch him go elsewhere and become a beast for them.

Time seems to be on our side here, as there is not much interest and Everton need to sell players I guess

United will shoot itself in the foot as always. We will triple his current salary and pay a huge transfer free with no money left to strengthen the midfield and strikers department.

The way some are posting in here you'd think we have an embarrassment of riches at CB.

Why does it matter that's he's left footed if he's just as comfortable with his right? Did we ever worry about Rio and Vidic's strong and weak foot.

I've read that Branthwaite is so comfortable with his right that coaches have even questioned if he's actually left footed. And I wouldn't worry about the England selection, most people agree it was a mistake from Southgate to not take him. He's a far better player than Dunk.
EtH has a preference for left on ledt, right on right so it'll be going against the managers idea pairing. I'm not against the player only the potential cost.

Since when has this left foot right foot thing been a concern in CB’s?

Maybe I might be remembering wrong but for most of my life it never seemed to be something that anyone was concerned by until LVG

Branthwaite, Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund have massive ceilings as footballers. If you're going to spend big, I'd rather it be on a 21 year old who eventually becomes world class, than another 29 year old who is closer to the end than the beginning of his career.

Yes. Branthwaite, who is a highly rated defender who manly believe will be elite.

I’m sure the same was said about a young Ferdinand at the time. Why are United paying “x” amount for an untested defender, why are they paying him that much etc etc

In fact we paid Ferdinand, (adjusted for inflation in 2024) - 125k per week, when signing for United in 2002.

At Leeds he was on 30k a week, so we’ve 4x his wages. Effectively what we’re doing now to Branthwaite.

So in reality, it’s more or less the same transfer as it was in 2002.

So anything else to complain about?

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2000/nov/24/newsstory.sport4

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2002/jul/23/newsstory.sport3

I think Ferdinand was considerably more experienced though in 2002, no? The Leeds team he was with was a much higher standard than today's Everton, and he had just had a great World Cup with England that summer, whereas Branthwaite hasn't even made the squad for this summer's Euros.

Maybe I might be remembering wrong but for most of my life it never seemed to be something that anyone was concerned by until LVG

It's a Dutch thing. As is the discipline level Ten Hag has laid out too really. The Dutch are weird.

Let’s not go overboard with discussing a rumoured salary…ask yourself if that information would ever be available especially tonight!?

United have even made a bid yet and people are complaining about a phantom weekly wage.

As always the middle is about fair. It's tricky to judge fees in terms of ability because you have to factor in value to the selling club etc. I think a 50-70m fee is about right when you balance everything. I think it will end up being around c. 60m.

50M with add-ons maybe? Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

This needs to be no more than £30million upfront. Hes alright but has proven nothing. Such better options out there. Unless he’s the first of two or three CBs coming in then it’s poor all round
How do you prove yourself at a team like Everton? Is that not always a risk when signing players from smaller clubs?

Branthwaite may make mistakes but he has all the attributes to potentially be good to great out of possession. He's actually quite quick and eventhough some will only focus on his aerial game it's actually his large space coverage and duel winning ability on the ground that makes him particularly of interest. We haven't struggled because of having a poor aerial game but rather our biggest weakness has been a lack of duel winning ability in the ground duels.

Branthwaite will potentially improve us a lot when it comes to winning duels both on the ground and in the air but we have to make sure that along with Martinez and possibly another CB, we also sign a strong holding midfielder who will take responsibility when it comes to progressing play. So if you have Martinez, Todibo, Mainoo and a holding midfielder like Varela to take care of the on the ball aspects, then Branthwaite will compliment them with his strengths.

I remain sceptical. He's a good player but he lacks real recovery pace, which is a major issue in our defence. I don't know how we can play a much higher line without real speed next to Martinez.
I seem to recall him out pacing Rashford or someone of a similar ilk. He’s got very good recovery pace - just lanky. Some people thought Smalling was slow.

He's the best source when it comes to Everton. It's on for you.

He rarely gets anything wrong in fairness. I’ve followed him for a while now since I saw how his tweets were received on the GrandOldTeam forum. He’s extremely accurate on all things Everton

Have wondered that for some time.

Good breakdown. A lot of cases where the forward gets the step on him and he uses his pace to recover but apparently he's slow. :rolleyes:

This is good to see. My main worry with him would be whether he'd enable us to play a high line, and it's nice to know he's got solid recovery pace. He seems to tick the other boxes we'd want for a partner for Martinez.

Phil Jones 2 0 incoming, waste of funds.