Jarrad Branthwaite

Again, not doing something and can't do something are different things.

Well, doing something is generally a good indication that you can do something.

The stats I listed are generally desirable ones for a CB to have, even in a Dyche system. So if can do it, why isn't he? Tarkowski has shown himself to be better on the ball than Branthwaite this season.

Branthwaite is a decent player for his age, but how does this signing lineup with the possession based football many of us want to see next season? How do you partner him alongside Martinez when they are both ostensibly LCBs?

Make it make sense

an Everton player not even good for the England squad that has many injuries in the back, for that salary :lol:

I mean he deserves to be in there ahead of Dunk at the very least. Let alone guys like Guehi, Konsa, Gomez etc.

He played for one of the best defences in the league, so I'm fine with using that as the proxy rather than Southgate's opinions.

Well, doing something is generally a good indication that you can do something.

The stats I listed are generally desirable ones for a CB to have, even in a Dyche system. So if can do it, why isn't he? Tarkowski has shown himself to be better on the ball than Branthwaite this season.

Branthwaite is a decent player for his age, but how does this signing lineup with the possession based football many of us want to see next season? How do you partner him alongside Martinez when they are both ostensibly LCBs?

Make it make sense

Because of the way Dyche plays. Compare his stats at PSV for passing and his Everton time. One that played in a way to get CBs in the ball more and passing and the other that played percentage football.

Or better yet, just watch football aswell as using fbref as a a constant way to judge players. Has been winding me up recently on the forum that people take that site as gospel.

Hopefully we can get the fee lowered over the next week or so. Would be a great signing to kick off the INEOS era.

Mainoo 20k, Garnacho 50k, Hojlund 85k, Lisandro 120k, Onana 90k, Dalot 85k all starting players under 150 and they are all better footballing players than him. He is 21 years old with one "ok" season.

Mainoo and Garnacho will obviously get significant contract bumps soon. Rasmus looks very cheap, guess he was keen to come here.

It is what it is. 150K (assuming that's correct) makes him the 12th highest earner in the squad. I'm really not too worried about it. All that matters is if he's an improvement on Lindelof/Maguire.

I think £60m is probably fair value for a young English CB with high potential. I'm all for this, solves problems for us across the back line, covers Martinez and Shaw's injury proneness well, is two footed and can play RCB. Sensible buy.

I'd invite you to have a look at his fbref. Yes, stats aren't everything, but when you're in the bottom 3rd percentile for progressive carries, and bottom 15th for passes attempted, passing accuracy, and progressive passes, you're not someone who can play the ball.

When you add to that he's a lefty, so is not an ideal partner to Martinez, and at the fees quoted... this signing gets more and more confusing the more you analyse it

If Martinez is a 10 on the ball, then Branthwaite is a 7. Not amazing, but perfectly acceptable. Maybe Varane/Maguire level.

Honestly, I'm just trying to be optimistic more than anything and my belief/hope is more in line with the bolded. In my simple mind, having a PL 'proven' aerial, physical player with pace, that can potentially play a high line and be aggressive on the front foot is a very good bottom line. Whilst I would love a tall Martinez mark two, I can settle for this version of Branthwaite if he's capable and willing in passing the ball forwards, carrying it when pressed etc ala Varane.

I know it's not going be all rosy but I think having Dalot and Martinez next to him is a good mix of physicality, passion and leadership for him to learn/grow.

I'd invite you to have a look at his fbref. Yes, stats aren't everything, but when you're in the bottom 3rd percentile for progressive carries, and bottom 15th for passes attempted, passing accuracy, and progressive passes, you're not someone who can play the ball.

When you add to that he's a lefty, so is not an ideal partner to Martinez, and at the fees quoted... this signing gets more and more confusing the more you analyse it

That could well be to do with tactics. Everton weren't doing so well last season or do you not take that into account?

Because of the way Dyche plays. Compare his stats at PSV for passing and his Everton time. One that played in a way to get CBs in the ball more and passing and the other that played percentage football.

Or better yet, just watch football aswell as using fbref as a a constant way to judge players. Has been winding me up recently on the forum that people take that site as gospel.

I seen plenty of him. And I'll again say that he's a decent player. He's just not the profile we need at all. For 30 mil, he'd be worth a punt. And if he weren't English, that's what he'd probably cost.

Why pay a premium just to fit an English square peg into a round hole?

This is the first test for Ineos in the transfer market. Anything north of 35 to 40m would be madness and a sign that things are just as they were.

Depends how Ten Hag manages him doesn't it? Stones managed to elevate to such a high level due to the genius of Guardiola as much as his own ability. I think Branthwaite is a better 'defender' and Stones is a better 'footballer' but do think Branthwaite can be a mainstay player for a CL and International side. I am interested how you'll use him though. If you're signing Branthwaite and interested in Yoro, are you going to be playing a 3 at the back or playing Martinez as a LB?
I'd imagine it's one or the other, with it being decided by the overall financial package. The other CB we buy will likely be someone on cheap like Chalobah. Branthwaite at RCB long term I guess? He's pretty 2 footed so probably fine but just seems weird to have 2 left footers there.

:lol:

We are talking about Branthwaite here, not a young Ferdinand.
Yes. Branthwaite, who is a highly rated defender who manly believe will be elite.

I’m sure the same was said about a young Ferdinand at the time. Why are United paying “x” amount for an untested defender, why are they paying him that much etc etc

In fact we paid Ferdinand, (adjusted for inflation in 2024) - 125k per week, when signing for United in 2002.

At Leeds he was on 30k a week, so we’ve 4x his wages. Effectively what we’re doing now to Branthwaite.

So in reality, it’s more or less the same transfer as it was in 2002.

So anything else to complain about?

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2000/nov/24/newsstory.sport4

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2002/jul/23/newsstory.sport3

Far more agile and quicker than Maguire and a really good age.

It wouldn’t be my choice for a CB signing but I can definitely get on board with it. All the top sides are physical and we just aren’t physical enough. He would definitely be an asset in both boxes.

I don’t think Everton conceded a goal in their last 5 home games and he was at the heart of that (including a goal against Pool)

Lots of positives here if we can get the price sub- 50 million.