Jarrad Branthwaite

I think that phenomenon is called "playing for Sean Dyche".

His passing stats at PSV were a lot more respectable:
Screenshot-2024-06-13-224015.png
Still not good.

Buying a left footed CB when we already have a great one seams strange.

Seems madness. Would have made sense if it were Inacio who can deputise for both Shaw and Martinez (given their shaky fitness record) but to buy a left footed pure defender when we are desperate for an RCB to partner Martinez and really need to sort out midfield, and would still need that cover for Shaw, yeah seems pretty strange.

For 70m it seems mad.

Brexit Jim and INEOS influence already beginning to show.

The rest of our signings will be Adam Wharton and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
It's true, we never overpaid for a good but not great English centre back when Woodward and the Glazer's were running football operations. In fairness Wharton would be a tremendous signing for our midfield albeit it won't happen.

That could well be to do with tactics. Everton weren't doing so well last season or do you not take that into account?

I have done. In an earlier post, I noted that Tarkowski has been a more progressive player from the back than he has. And guess what, he's a RCB

I don't know what I'm missing that everyone else is seeing. We don't have the cash to blow £60m on a LCB with one decent season under his belt

Brexit Jim and INEOS influence already beginning to show.

The rest of our signings will be Adam Wharton and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
Tbf that would be an incredible window... Whatever about DCL (pick some other english CF like Toney who can stay fit and not just replace Martial in the physio room), but Wharton and Mainoo as a long term pairing with Branthwaite being a cornerstone CB for us? Can't hate on that at all. My concern with a lot of the rumored CB's was their size/pace, given that Martinez, though a quality CB, has his limitations there.

I have done. In an earlier post, I noted that Tarkowski has been a more progressive player from that back than he has. And guess what, he's a RCB

I don't know what I'm missing that everyone else is seeing. We don't have the cash to blow £60m on a LCB with one decent season under his belt

What's him being left footed got to do with it? And what had RCB got to do with Tarkowski's passing ability? Are you about to go all Big Chief whatshisface on me?

I really hoped we have changed from the Ed Woodward's and Murtough stupidity. But seems we are at the same level.
Mainoo and Garnacho will obviously get significant contract bumps soon. Rasmus looks very cheap, guess he was keen to come here.

It is what it is. 150K (assuming that's correct) makes him the 12th highest earner in the squad. I'm really not too worried about it. All that matters is if he's an improvement on Lindelof/Maguire.

Garnacho just got his contract, he will not get a new one anytime soon. Mainoo is on 20k, will not get anything near 100k, he will get the same as Garnacho when got a raise from 20k to 50k. Lisandro is twice the player is and still at 120k.

150k a week ! Will we ever learn ?!
What’s he on at Everton, 25? Surely if we want him he’d be well happy with double that. Why don’t we ever learn?

That’s not even mentioning the fact he’s not even that good.

Can think of better ways to spend +60M.

If he has good natural fitness it could be could to at least have one stable CB at the back. Not counting or Martinez or Maguire.

Depends how Ten Hag manages him doesn't it? Stones managed to elevate to such a high level due to the genius of Guardiola as much as his own ability. I think Branthwaite is a better 'defender' and Stones is a better 'footballer' but do think Branthwaite can be a mainstay player for a CL and International side. I am interested how you'll use him though. If you're signing Branthwaite and interested in Yoro, are you going to be playing a 3 at the back or playing Martinez as a LB?

I could see Martinez starting left back, and tucking into a three at the back when we're attacking.

last time we bought a young, english star from everton, he wanted to leave for city. best to avoid.

There are better defenders on the market that's what makes this more annoying and underwhelming. Sure maybe Yoro is Madrid bound but Ignacio and Tobido are better than Branthwaite.

I'd imagine it's one or the other, with it being decided by the overall financial package. The other CB we buy will likely be someone on cheap like Chalobah. Branthwaite at RCB long term I guess? He's pretty 2 footed so probably fine but just seems weird to have 2 left footers there.

Will be interesting to see what you do.

What's him being left footed got to do with it? And what had RCB got to do with Tarkowski's passing ability? Are you about to go all Big Chief whatshisface on me?

Well, Tarkowski plays in the same system as Branthwaite, yet has markedly better passing stats
And we already have a starting LCB. Isn't that much obvious?

There are better defenders on the market that's what makes this more annoying and underwhelming. Sure maybe Yoro is Madrid bound but Ignacio and Tobido are better than Branthwaite.
Who’s to say we won’t get Todibo too? He’s considerably cheaper out of the Yoro and Branthwaite

Think he’s a decent defender but there’s very few players that are worth the fees premier league teams charge when you factor in supply / demand and the overseas market

But he's essentially left footed. For that money there's better targets, maybe? Furthermore, it's alarming that Dunk made it in the England squad and he didn't. He looks a decent enough player but at that price, it smells a little like Maguire MK2.
Why does it matter that's he's left footed if he's just as comfortable with his right? Did we ever worry about Rio and Vidic's strong and weak foot.

I've read that Branthwaite is so comfortable with his right that coaches have even questioned if he's actually left footed. And I wouldn't worry about the England selection, most people agree it was a mistake from Southgate to not take him. He's a far better player than Dunk.

Those talking about him being left footed. Maybe we want to compete with Newcastle for the tallest/lengthiest let back against Dan Burn :lol:

He's not fast though, he's slow.

I was going by other's comments but looking at some videos, he doesn't seem slow but perhaps not the quickest off the mark because of his size. Good stride and length means it won't be easy to get past him though. Perhaps not the most agile (in tight spaces and first 5 yards), which could be exploited I suppose.

Back in the days it was reported that Alexis Sanchez was going to earn 600k/week. In reality he earned 375k/week.

Second of all, why would anyone tell journalist what he is going to earn? I suspect it’s just added speculation, a little bit of spice, to the actual story.

Adding to the lcb/rcb debate: he is almost equaly as good with his right foot.

If the price is right, this is a good move.

Have to walk away from this if we can't get him for 45 million or so.

If we give in and pay 60+ million for this kid it'll demonstrate that we haven't learned a thing.

I seriously doubt the reported salary is close to the truth and I don't think INEOS will entertain a fee of 70M either. One of the central planks of their reboot is to not be the silly money and to go for value in the market, this would represent the exact opposite approach. We might well sign him but I would expect the numbers to be far lower if we do or we might as well move on to one of the more affordable options we have already identified.

This needs to be no more than £30million upfront. Hes alright but has proven nothing. Such better options out there. Unless he’s the first of two or three CBs coming in then it’s poor all round