Jarrad Branthwaite

He's got good potential, but there are a lot of very promising young CB's about right now who I think will be better.

Scalvini, Diomande, Yoro, Silva, Inacio, Hato
Hincapie etc. There are loads of good choices out there. I doubt Branthwaite is anywhere near the most logical option.

Todibo would surely be the most sensible move.

Branthwaite is going to be upset when Ineos tell Everton to feck off to those proposed transfer fees and walk away from the table.

Just looking at the age of the cbs, including Shaw we have that will be starting, makes sense why the ineos will be looking at getting him. PL experience, young prospect and will not cost 70/80 million.

I dont see us getting experienced players bar the striker position due to the market currently.
Young and cheap prospects with potential under 30-40 million.

Joao Neves claims just don’t fit the bill, given our financial condition and the rumours about transfer budget that’s floating.

How much did we spend on Ferdinand taking into account inflation?

This is exactly the type of signing united would make back under fergie
Ferdinand was a much more experienced player when we signed him, he'd been an international for 4-5 years with neary 200 games under his belt

I don't know what I'm missing if we don't end up going for Todibo, it just seems so obvious?

Have you seen Todibo play? He isn't good in the air at all. A pairing of Martinez and him is a recipe for disaster. Varane and Martinez make a decent pairing as Varane is excellent in the air and wins a lot of aerial balls. You can't survive in this league with a pairing where both players are weak aerially.

£50m? No thanks. Tired of trying to sign every semi decent English player for big money. AWB, Maguire, Sancho.. it worked under SAF because SAF could identify a player. This current lot? No chance.

Scout properly and sign someone young for £20m. Natan went for £10m.

Rather sign a top young prospect even if they're not English. Like one of the French or Argentinian prospects.

Or an experienced player for a fraction of the price like an Aguerd from West Ham who would cost very little to be a backup for Martinez.
That's harder now than it used to be because of the visa rules, not impossible but more difficult

He is a very good defender if you operate in a low block and partner him with a sweeper. But Martinez plays the "stopper" role for us, stepping up to disrupt the attack, whilst Varane would be the sweeper incase they got past Martinez.

Branthwaite doesnt fit the system at all.

Have you seen Todibo play? He isn't good in the air at all. A pairing of Martinez and him is a recipe for disaster. Varane and Martinez make a decent pairing as Varane is excellent in the air and wins a lot of aerial balls. You can't survive in this league with a pairing where both players are weak aerially.
I honestly didn’t think he was that bad in the air, but maybe I just didn’t notice.

True. But Branthwaite does have over 100 currently.
TBH he might be the right player at the wrong time, it's possible we already have the solution at the club already, as we'll not be challenging next season it might make sense to try Big Willy interchanging with Maguire at RCB with Martinez at LCB, I don't see Maguire leaving because he has no real transfer value now, Lindeof is a different matter and I think he's the one that will go

Every time I watched Everton, I can see that he has a great prospect to be a top class centre back.
  • He has the composure on the ball where he doesn’t just clear the ball non-sense.
  • He uses both of his feet comfortably whether it’s for passing or defending.
  • He’s good with his duel and his height compliment Martinez.
  • He has high percentage of successful take on (reflects to his composure on the ball when being pressed).
  • He has been used as RCB plenty of times at PSV so he can play both RCB and LCB.
  • He’s still very young so he’s not a finishing article.​

What I haven’t seen him is that his passing ability. It’s hard to judge his passing ability when he plays for Everton because they don’t play possession based team and don’t play from the back often.

I also think we need a centre back who is very good in the box and commanding in the box because we conceded lot from crossing. I haven’t seen him enough to judge his leadership and how good he is defending the box.

Everton need money and need to sell players to meet the regulation before 30th June or they will get deducted points. We might be able to get him for less than £50m. £45m may be? Good value for proven PL, young, tall, and talented centre back.

I honestly didn’t think he was that bad in the air, but maybe I just didn’t notice.

I don't think he works in a pairing with Martinez, i.e. if our goal is to challenge for the league. If it is top 6 and a cup run here and there then it will be fine.

I won't mind him if he was available really cheap and we are getting someone else who is really dominant in the air. His ball playing skills are very good and can be useful in building up from the back.

Every time I watched Everton, I can see that he has a great prospect to be a top class centre back.
  • He has the composure on the ball where he doesn’t just clear the ball non-sense.
  • He uses both of his feet comfortably whether it’s for passing or defending.
  • He’s good with his duel and his height compliment Martinez.
  • He has high percentage of successful take on (reflects to his composure on the ball when being pressed).
  • He has been used as RCB plenty of times at PSV so he can play both RCB and LCB.
  • He’s still very young so he’s not a finishing article.​

What I haven’t seen him is that his passing ability. It’s hard to judge his passing ability when he plays for Everton because they don’t play possession based team and don’t play from the back often.

I also think we need a centre back who is very good in the box and commanding in the box because we conceded lot from crossing. I haven’t seen him enough to judge his leadership and how good he is defending the box.

Everton need money and need to sell players to meet the regulation before 30th June or they will get deducted points. We might be able to get him for less than £50m. £45m may be? Good value for proven PL, young, tall, and talented centre back.

I think if a player has a good passing ability it'll stand out no matter if he plays in a possession or a counter attacking team. E.g. we played on the counter against City and it didn't stop Martinez from showcasing his passing ability. Evans' was pretty evident when he played for a counter-attacking team in Leicester. I don't buy this excuse that you cannot judge it because he plays for Dyche.

He's got good potential, but there are a lot of very promising young CB's about right now who I think will be better.

Scalvini, Diomande, Yoro, Silva, Inacio, Hato
Hincapie etc. There are loads of good choices out there. I doubt Branthwaite is anywhere near the most logical option.

Todibo would surely be the most sensible move.
If we choose this guy over some of the players you’ve just mentioned then it’s only down to one reason. INEOS are obsessed with British players or players who have prem experience. Some of the ones in Europe are probably cheaper aswell.

I think if a player has a good passing ability it'll stand out no matter if he plays in a possession or a counter attacking team. E.g. we played on the counter against City and it didn't stop Martinez from showcasing his passing ability. Evans' was pretty evident when he played for a counter-attacking team in Leicester. I don't buy this excuse that you cannot judge it because he plays for Dyche.
That’s fair. But if your playing for Everton then your getting dominated and battered most games so your only ever seeing his defending stats. One game I’ve watched him which stands out is the one against Chelsea where Jackson bullied him and he looked like he’s got a few errors in him.

That’s fair. But if your playing for Everton then your getting dominated and battered most games so your only ever seeing his defending stats. One game I’ve watched him which stands out is the one against Chelsea where Jackson bullied him and he looked like he’s got a few errors in him.
I wouldn’t say battered most games because only arsenal have more clean sheets than Everton.

If we can get him for around 40m i would say it is decent value. I don`t think it would hurt us to have an option on that left side.
We usually have 2-3 options that can play on the right side so.
Not against it.

We have too many serious gaps to fill to be throwing the kind of money Everton want at a player who may not fulfil his potential. Hopefully we don't waste too much time here (either do it for a reasonable price before end of June to help Everton's financial issues or move on) and do some sensible deals. Tosin on a free + Tobido to replace Varane and Lindelof would be decent business. If we can shift Maguire along with other outgoings then maybe we can re-visit this one.

They weren't battered. It's a Sean Dyche team, they tend to be pretty astute defensively.

They weren't battered. It's a Sean Dyche team, they tend to be pretty astute defensively.

Wouldn't say battered but our defenders do see a lot of work. They have performed well as a unit but we aren't like arsenal defensively where we restrict teams to few chances or shots. They get them. We just defend well individually and as a unit.

I wouldn’t say battered most games because only arsenal have more clean sheets than Everton.
That just says they’re good at defending. They don’t tend to have much possession.

Wouldn't say battered but our defenders do see a lot of work. They have performed well as a unit but we aren't like arsenal defensively where we restrict teams to few chances or shots. They get them. We just defend well individually and as a unit.
Ye your good at defending as you have like the 2nd most clean sheets.

On possession they are. Dyche teams don’t tend to keep possession.

Low possession doesn't mean that players do not opportunities to showcase their ability on the ball. And I am not saying that Brainthwaite is good or bad on it, just that the excuse doesn't fly.

Yeah, that's because you cede possession and play on the back foot whereas Arsenal look to play on the front foot. However, that doesn't mean the system doesn't allow a players to showcase their ability on the ball.

I actually don't mind if he isn't absolutely top class on the ball as I believe that defending is the first thing a central defender should be good at. The concerns I have with him are his pace, ability to read the game and ability to play on the front foot. Harry Maguire is someone who is good in the air, is strong and is decent on the ball but despite having all those qualities, his lack of recovery pace and lack of top notch ability to read the game makes him unsuitable for a team that wants to play on the front foot. Jarrad is not Harry, but I do have similar concerns regarding him.

Low possession doesn't mean that players do not opportunities to showcase their ability on the ball. And I am not saying that Brainthwaite is good or bad on it, just that the excuse doesn't fly.

No, but if tactically your manager sets up in a way and style which does not utilise CBs as ballplayers then you won't have the 'stats' that other defenders do. Take Lewis Dunk for example, nobody would have considered him an excellent progressive or ball playing defender before Potter and Dunk got their hands on him but now he's considered to be one of the players who can do that and is a reason he's in the England squad. Branthwaite has shown at PSV he's capable of doing It too and there are a couple of goals (West Ham and Forest) this season which demonstrate his passing and ball playing.

No, but if tactically your manager sets up in a way and style which does not utilise CBs as ballplayers then you won't have the 'stats' that other defenders do. Take Lewis Dunk for example, nobody would have considered him an excellent progressive or ball playing defender before Potter and Dunk got their hands on him but now he's considered to be one of the players who can do that and is a reason he's in the England squad. Branthwaite has shown at PSV he's capable of doing It too and there are a couple of goals (West Ham and Forest) this season which demonstrate his passing and ball playing.

That's good then. You have seen him much more than I have. Also, I am unaware of his time at PSV.

I wasn't personally thrilled by it from that little I have seen.

If we choose this guy over some of the players you’ve just mentioned then it’s only down to one reason. INEOS are obsessed with British players or players who have prem experience. Some of the ones in Europe are probably cheaper aswell.
Agreed, which I think is a factor to consider for sure. I don't know how we line up with home grown rules at the mo - fine I think? - but he is probably the best young English CB at least.

I still think there are far more promising & better value picks to be had around Europe at the mo.

Also people should take reports of 40m and Everton administration with a pinch of salt as that's coming from the sun and talksport. There is a reason both are banned from the tweet threads.

If we intend to get this guy, please make it quick. Get it over the line before Everton eventually twist our hand to overpay. Get in with a bid Everton won't be able to ignore completely and move if they stall the proces.

The problem we have when it comes to recruitment is that we sign players who don't always share a similar to that of the style we use.

Branthwaite, through no fault of his own, plays in a low block for Everton, so we won't know what he's like pressing high up the pitch. Maybe he did this at PSV, but my big issue is that, he's not spectacular on the ball and he's left footed. He's not better than Martinez and I cannot see ten Hag putting him on the right. I just don't see the point.

That's pretty much my feelings on him. He won't be cheap and he just looks a pointless risk.