Jarrad Branthwaite

If he and Olise can be bought for no more than £100m then we should absolutely be all over it.

That would be the budget done, so would have to be creative for another defender - and then sales must fund two midfielders.

I did consider it a possibility when we first signed him but apparatus he hasn’t ever played there and ten hag has shown zero inclinations do try it out so probably not.

He did for Ajax and ten Hag said that he hasn't the running capacity to play there.

"Daley Blind does not have the running capacity to play in midfield. And neither does Martinez," Ten Hag said at the time.

https://www.90min.com/posts/erik-ten-hag-view-on-playing-lisandro-martinez-in-midfield

How would you rate him?
And his ceiling, strengths, weakness etc etc

He's one of the standout defenders in his generation. Think he has the ability to go to the very top and he's already displayed in his debut season to be one of the best CBs in the league this year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become a mainstay for England and a CL competing side. I think there are defenders like Yoro that will be better, but I think Branthwaite is part of that group.

Strengths: Old school defending (Duels, Aerial ability, Pace, Determination).
Weaknesses: Doesn't really have any, as in, there is no part of his game that is poor so to speak. The only part of his game that is weaker than the rest I would say is his progressive passing game, but he showed at PSV he's capable of it and at times with us he's shown it too. Unfortunately Dyche ball negates CBs being able to show that side of game aside from long balls.

He did for Ajax and ten Hag said that he hasn't the running capacity to play there.

"Daley Blind does not have the running capacity to play in midfield. And neither does Martinez," Ten Hag said at the time.

https://www.90min.com/posts/erik-ten-hag-view-on-playing-lisandro-martinez-in-midfield
Thanks for the correction and yeah, ten hag doesn't seem to rate him there.

He does have a decent reading of the game though so perhaps another coach would want to try him there, but that's another story.

We need young, hungry players that can play for us for 6-7 years minimum.

I'd take Olise and Branthwaite as part of that makeup honestly.

We need a CDM a RB and Striker cover too though.

RB isn't a priority. LB, on the other hand, is. We can't go into next season relying on Shaw and Malacia. Dalot and Wan-Bissaka are more than good enough to share that spot.

I agree with the rest though, although I don't even know about Olise. Is that with the assumption that one of our attacking players will leave?

Thanks for the correction and yeah, ten hag doesn't seem to rate him there.

He does have a decent reading of the game though so perhaps another coach would want to try him there, but that's another story.

Yeah, he certainly has the traits to be a holding midfielder. You could argue, the modern day centre back do similar things anyway, but I guess ten Hag knows him better than we do.

If we can get a right footed centre back similar to Martinez and a top class holding midfielder to replace Casemiro, then that will take us to another level, in my opinion.

He's one of the standout defenders in his generation. Think he has the ability to go to the very top and he's already displayed in his debut season to be one of the best CBs in the league this year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become a mainstay for England and a CL competing side. I think there are defenders like Yoro that will be better, but I think Branthwaite is part of that group.

Strengths: Old school defending (Duels, Aerial ability, Pace, Determination).
Weaknesses: Doesn't really have any, as in, there is no part of his game that is poor so to speak. The only part of his game that is weaker than the rest I would say is his progressive passing game, but he showed at PSV he's capable of it and at times with us he's shown it too. Unfortunately Dyche ball negates CBs being able to show that side of game aside from long balls.
Thanks for the response, one has to wonder how he'll step up his game in a more progressive set up as his current situation demands a different approach.

If he's as solid on defending as you suggest his passing range shouldn't be too much of a concern if paired with someone like martinez although that itself is a conundrum with both being left footed which would be less than ideal.

Thanks for the response, one has to wonder how he'll step up his game in a more progressive set up as his current situation demands a different approach.

If he's as solid on defending as you suggest his passing range shouldn't be too much of a concern if paired with someone like martinez although that itself is a conundrum with both being left footed which would be less than ideal.

As said before, he's capable with both feet.

By position on the field, Branthwaite is deployed as a left-footed centre half, but a former coach claims him to be right-footed instead. So which is it?

“I am left-footed, but I’ve got a five-star weak foot on the new FIFA!” he says with a humble but beaming smile as if to hint there is some truth to the claim. As the topic is pushed further, it’s clear he is comfortable on both sides. “If I’m hitting a long pass, I’ll go with my left; short passes with my right.”

The main question for me is if we are buying two centre backs, why would we spend a huge fee on a LCB rather than a starting RCB next to Martinez and go with a cheaper LCB backup to Martinez?

Yeah, he certainly has the traits to be a holding midfielder. You could argue, the modern day centre back do similar things anyway, but I guess ten Hag knows him better than we do.

If we can get a right footed centre back similar to Martinez and a top class holding midfielder to replace Casemiro, then that will take us to another level, in my opinion.
It's a bit interesting though as his reasoning while sound on it's does make sense in the context of ten hag's own tenure with us, as he did part ways with Fred who had both the pace and legs to cover every blade of grass on the field and didn't really replace him either even with casemiro being much more lethargic this time around, one could argue martinez with hiz reading of the game and passing range could be tried out there once or twice to see how he stacks up.

It's all armchair opnions of course and ten hag surely knows better but I would like to see it tried our once.

And yeah, with dalot material into a much better player than before we seem tantalisingly close to having a very solid backline (if Shaw can keep fit), and having a solid midfield would comfortably make us a top 4 team in my opnion.

That would make much more sense on why we're pursuing him if the reports are true.

My concern is that if he's as good as your saying then Everton could snatch much more than 40 mil as I can see quite a few clubs being interested in buying a new CB.

That would make much more sense on why we're pursuing him if the reports are true.

My concern is that if he's as good as your saying then Everton could snatch much more than 40 mil as I can see quite a few clubs being interested in buying a new CB.
He has a 10-15% sell on fee attached to the Carlisle deal so 40m, even with financial issues on our side, just doesn't feel anywhere near enough and I'd be very surprised if he goes for anything less than 50m.

He has a 10-15% sell on fee attached to the Carlisle deal so 40m, even with financial issues on our side, just doesn't feel anywhere near enough and I'd be very surprised if he goes for anything less than 50m.

To who? What club will pay £50 mill for him? Really struggle to see that happen.

City is not an option (Gvardiol and Ake!). Liverpool is probably not an option. Spurs will not pay £50 mill, will they? Will Arsenal for a player who would likely be backup to Gabriel for years? Newcastle to struggle with PSR and already have Botman.

There are very few clubs able to pay £50 mill. And those who can are probably not options.

This is enough for me to see him as the #1 choice... Originally I thought it was weird to go hard for a left footed CB (nobody does 2 left footers there), but if he is 2 footed then go for it.

We need at least 2 CBs. I don't see us being able to pay for him, but I think hoe would be a great buy. Maybe if we got a very good fee for Maguire, but just don't see it.

Yeah, if he's a proper talent he'll fetch way more than that, gvardiol went for close to 100 mil after all.

Yes? Both will end up playing for top PL clubs sooner rather than later.
Chelsea had basically had him nailed on last summer at one point before he chose to extend his Palace deal and Citeh have been sniffing around Branthwaite

Personally I think we will sell Onana and possibly DCL before Branthwaite.

That’s if anyone is in for Onana as there’s plenty of alternatives to Onana at a cheaper price all over Europe and as good as DCL has been his injury record and the fact he’s out of contract next summer means he won’t fetch much either.

@SilentWitness I assume Everton under Dyche generally defend deep? I want my back 4 at United pushing up on the half way line trusting their recovery pace. Has he got that?

He already plays in a way that means that's needed. He is a proactive defender and will attempt to jump forward to intercept passes which is both a mix of a good trait and naivety but with Tarkowski as a deeper defender and Myko on his side he has that cover, but also uses his pace to get back and slide tackle. It's been mentioned that he spends a lot of time on the floor and that's also due to recovery tackles due to the way he plays at times and he's mostly successful with them. He looks strange running at pace because of his size but players at the club put him in the top bracket of quickest players we have.

He already plays in a way that means that's needed. He is a proactive defender and will attempt to jump forward to intercept passes which is both a mix of a good trait and naivety but with Tarkowski as a deeper defender and Myko on his side he has that cover, but also uses his pace to get back and slide tackle. It's been mentioned that he spends a lot of time on the floor and that's also due to recovery tackles due to the way he plays at times and he's mostly successful with them. He looks strange running at pace because of his size but players at the club put him in the top bracket of quickest players we have.

Interesting, thanks

Can 2 left footed centre backs play together the way several right footed centre backs have before?

Vidic - Rio,
Stam - Johnson,
Bruce - Pally, for example.

I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of a centre back partnership consisting of two left footed players. However, as I said, I believe ten Hag, or any other manager that potentially takes charge, will want that balance of a right and left footed player.

if paying a fortune for this lad is the best our new INEOS experts can come up with then god help us cause it smacks of the sort of lazy transfer we'd have done for the last decade.

if paying a fortune for this lad is the best our new INEOS experts can come up with then god help us cause it smacks of the sort of lazy transfer we'd have done for the last decade.
I'd understand your suspicion if he we sign him for 80m, but taking advantage of Everton's financial situation and signing him for less than 55m could be very good business.

50-60M for a young promising English center half is reasonable in todays market.

It's circa John Stones / Ben White who cost 50 million and I think both players would be considered valuable buys for their clubs.

Though Maguire cost more it's a sensationist view to think that every premium English defender will follow his trajectory.

50-60M for a young promising English center half is reasonable in todays market.

It's circa John Stones / Ben White who cost 50 million and I think both players would be considered valuable buys for their clubs.

Though Maguire cost more it's a sensationist view to think that every premium English defender will follow his trajectory.
The problem is that Brantwaithe plays on a position where we don't necessarily need to sign a starter. We have Martinez there and although I would love to have a good backup, I wouldn't pay that much money. And I'd prefer having a rightfooted RCB as Martinez' partner. Branthwaite would be a great squad addition if the other problems were solved but we have much higher priorities this summer, like a DM, a RCB, a LB and a CF.

The problem is that Brantwaithe plays on a position where we don't necessarily need to sign a starter. We have Martinez there and although I want to have a good backup, I wouldn't pay that much money. And I'd prefer having a rightfooted RCB as Martinez' partner. Branthwaite would be a great squad addition if the other problems were solved but we have much higher priorities this summer, like a DM, a RCB and a CF.

That's a good point, a right sided center half is more a priority given Varane's exit.

I guess the only way the club accommodates it would be to move Martinez into defensive midfield, but the question arises if it's a strength moving him from his strongest position into an area he hasn't played in the league though doing it at Ajax.

Would be expensive and underwhelming. I would hope this is the era of actual scouting and getting value for money.

How good is he really?

great goals conceded stats but playing in a defensive side,

behind 4 defensively minded midfield players.....

Feels a bit Aaron Wan Bissaka to me.... Id want someone with Martinez' passing ability for anything north of 45/50m

why spend all this money on him when we could give Kambwala a legit chance at earning the position???

I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of a centre back partnership consisting of two left footed players. However, as I said, I believe ten Hag, or any other manager that potentially takes charge, will want that balance of a right and left footed player.

I agree.

On two left footed centre backs I seem to recall a match against Chelsea during Van Gaal’s time where we had an anomaly of something like 8 out of our 11 starting players being left footed.

I’m not sure if that included the 2 centre backs or not though.

why spend all this money on him when we could give Kambwala a legit chance at earning the position???

Because what are we going on with Kambwala? The lad has barely played football over the last 3 years. Even at youth level. He needs a loan to show where he's at and thathe can stay fit.

the only similarity is their nationality, Pep already had a very good team when he signed stones, and could afford to put him In/take him out of the team whenever he fancied until he could play the football Pep requires of him.. INEOS won’t have that luxury if he’s one of their first signings, I don’t really see what he improves, just keep Maguire if that’s how we want to play

Ashworth also paid good money to get Gordon from Everton while at Newcastle. People in that circle clearly rate that academy.

the only similarity is their nationality, Pep already had a very good team when he signed stones, and could afford to put him In/take him out of the team whenever he fancied until he could play the football Pep requires of him.. INEOS won’t have that luxury if he’s one of their first signings, I don’t really see what he improves, just keep Maguire if that’s how we want to play

Hes much quicker than Maguire and also younger. Im not too fussed if we sign him, think he is decent and has a lot of room for improvement.