Jarrad Branthwaite

An Everton supporting mate of mine raves about him, thinks he's the next John Stones. Not as good on the ball obviously, but a more complete all around defender. He's pretty level headed, my mate, and would happily sell Onana, who he says hasn't trained on at all.

Admittedly haven't seen a load of Everton this season but have been pretty unimpressed every time I did. He was absolutely awful against us too.

I hope this is just agent talk. Just don't see it, especially with the rumored fee.

The main question for me is if we are buying two centre backs, why would we spend a huge fee on a LCB rather than a starting RCB next to Martinez and go with a cheaper LCB backup to Martinez?

Only way it makes sense is if:
1) the club is thinking in terms of having 2 quality players at each position like say City does, and they don't really care about the order it happens even if it means we have gaps during the transition to get there
2) Everton need to sell at a fee that works (say 65M) before June 30th.
3) we have a ton of money to spend

Hojlund-Striker
Olise
-Garnacho-Rashford-Amad
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-CM
DM1-DM2

Shaw-LB
Martinez-Branthwaite
RCB-
Maguire
Dalot-WanBissaka
Onana-Bayindir

but it's difficult to imagine us signing 8 players in a summer, so maybe forget one of the mid and McTominay gets another year, that's down to 7. I guess we could just pray Shaw stays healthy and hope Malacia is ready to be a squad player and maybe some minutes for Branthwaite at LB (our own giant Dan Burn at LB) with it being a back 3 in possession and Dalot continuing to take up aggressive positions. That gets it down to 6. Not sure I can get it any lower, unless you just don't buy Olise and Antony sticks around for one more year as a 4th winger and Amad and Rashford get to compete for a starting spot.

So if we sign Brathwaite, I'll guess it's a summer like this:

Branthwaite - 70M
Anselmino - 25M (there's a clause?)
Joao Neves - 110M
Pretty cheap young 6/8 like that Yalcouye fella - 15M
Jonathan David - 30M

Squad something like this:

Hojlund-David
Garnacho-Rashford-Amad-Antony
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-McTominay
Joao Neves-Yalcouye
Shaw-Malacia-Branthwaite
Martinez-Branthwaite-Shaw-Evans
Maguire-Branthwaite-Anselmino-Evans
Dalot-WanBissaka
Onana-Bayindir

If he's actually available for £40m it's an absolute no brainer. However I suspect £50-55m is more likely the minimum Everton would sell for even with the threat of a 9 point deduction. I think he's great and being 2 footed would mean he could play on either the left or right depending on who's available. I still have a much bigger issue with the £60m we look to be spending on Olise tbh. Don't even see the need for investment there with the state of our cb, midfield, forward and fullback positions.

1) the club is thinking in terms of having 2 quality players at each position like say City does, and they don't really care about the order it happens even if it means we have gaps during the transition to get there

Hojlund-Striker
Olise
-Garnacho-Rashford-Amad
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-CM
DM1-DM2

Shaw-LB
Martinez-Branthwaite
RCB-
Maguire
Dalot-WanBissaka
Onana-Bayindir

but it's difficult to imagine us signing 8 players in a summer, so maybe forget one of the mid and McTominay gets another year, that's down to 7. I guess we could just pray Shaw stays healthy and hope Malacia is ready to be a squad player and maybe some minutes for Branthwaite at LB (our own giant Dan Burn at LB) with it being a back 3 in possession and Dalot continuing to take up aggressive positions. That gets it down to 6. Not sure I can get it any lower, unless you just don't buy Olise and Antony sticks around for one more year as a 4th winger and Amad and Rashford get to compete for a starting spot.

Branthwaite - 70M
Joao Neves - 110M
Jonathan David - 30M

Hojlund-David
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-McTominay
Joao Neves-Yalcouye
Shaw-Malacia-Branthwaite
Dalot-WanBissaka
Onana-Bayindir

Yeah, I can't imagine any of those apply. Anselmino might be a genuine target though and he's not too pricey, but would Branthwaite and Martinez work as a pairing both being left-footed? @SilentWitness has he also played with another left-footed centre back (as an RCB)?

Yeah, I can't imagine any of those apply. Anselmino might be a genuine target though and he's not too pricey, but would Branthwaite and Martinez work as a pairing both being left-footed? @SilentWitness has he also played with another left-footed centre back (as an RCB)?

Branthwaite plays both RCB and LCB from what I have seen, although not sure what foot he is

Apparently Ramalho who he played with at PSV is also both footed. Branthwaite was the LCB though.

I think Everton have to sell by June 30th to comply with PSRs again.

They don't really have many sellable assets - Onana hasn't had a great season and he cost £30m so can't see them banking much profit from that, Branthwaite basically came from Carlisle at a young age for pennies so it will be pure profit on the books. The only other one who could reasonably fetch a decent fee would be Pickford but I don't think he'll leave England and there's no top PL teams that need a GK or would be willing to pay what Everton may demand.

With the need to sell, I don't think Everton can really hold out for £55m-70m for Branthwaite and I feel we may get him for the rumoured £40m fee plus a few adds on providing it's completed by June 30th.

So he's both footed?
Branthwaite? Yes.

By position on the field, Branthwaite is deployed as a left-footed centre half, but a former coach claims him to be right-footed instead. So which is it?

“I am left-footed, but I’ve got a five-star weak foot on the new FIFA!” he says with a humble but beaming smile as if to hint there is some truth to the claim. As the topic is pushed further, it’s clear he is comfortable on both sides. “If I’m hitting a long pass, I’ll go with my left; short passes with my right.”

Branthwaite plays both RCB and LCB from what I have seen, although not sure what foot he is

Apparently Ramalho who he played with at PSV is also both footed. Branthwaite was the LCB though.

Ah, cheers. Sounds very promising. If he works with Martinez as a RCB and it's fine for the balance, although not ideal if he's making long passes always with his left, then physically he's what I'd like to see next to Martinez.

Didn't Terry use both feet equally well? And he wasn't a natural, he worked on it I think.

Rather sign a top young prospect even if they're not English. Like one of the French or Argentinian prospects.

Or an experienced player for a fraction of the price like an Aguerd from West Ham who would cost very little to be a backup for Martinez.

Tosin, Braithwaite and Olise for 100m would really be starting the transfer window with a bang.

Hojlund-Striker
Olise
-Garnacho-Rashford-Amad
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-CM
DM1-DM2

Shaw-LB
Martinez-Branthwaite
RCB-
Maguire
Dalot-WanBissaka
Onana-Bayindir

Branthwaite - 70M
Joao Neves - 110M
Jonathan David - 30M

Hojlund-David
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-McTominay
Joao Neves-Yalcouye
Shaw-Malacia-Branthwaite
Dalot-WanBissaka
Onana-Bayindir

That’s where being clever in the market world but is something we’ve not consistently done in a long time, there’s a lot of value out there right now.

Off the top of my head players who are either out of contract or only a year left on their contract are Yoro, Adarabiyio, Guido and Fofana then there’s players with release clauses like Gutierrez, Olise and Dovbyk and every one of those improves our squad.

Realistically it all comes down to whether we can move everyone we need too on this summer. We’ve moved Varane and Martial on already but then there’s Lindelof, Williams, Casemiro, Hannibal, Eriksen, VDB, Pellestri, Sancho and Greenwood all on too.

If reports are true then Ratcliffe wants to bring at least 5 players under the age of 25 in this summer although I think 7 is actually needed. I think we need two centre backs, a left back, two midfielders, a right sided attacker and a striker.

Not read the news about INEOS targeting young players with PL experience and players in the final year of their contracts?

Olisse and Branthwaite would be good signings.

Both have 3 years on their contracts with their clubs but even if they were entering to the last year of their contracts and be available for a lower price, I'd still not want them as ultimately they're not good enough for a club that wants to compete and win PL & CL.

Yes? Both will end up playing for top PL clubs sooner rather than later.

Hopefully that will happen with Chelsea, Spurs etc. and not us and people see they're nothing special.

What I meant was would they be wanted at the likes of Real, Barca, Bayern etc? Would they attract suitors from all the top clubs? That's the level of quality we should aim to get. Otherwise you end up with Maguire/Wan-Bissaka type signings.

And the answer to that question is no. They're not in that bracket and would come at a fairly expensive price like most of the English players.

Admittedly, I’ve seen very little of Branthwaite but this smacks of a disappointing, big money English signing when we could have probably looked abroad for a much cheaper and more talented alternative (aka Tobido).

Always very, very sceptical of English signings and getting excited about them. I know this is simply gossip at this stage.

A mate of mine who supports Everton reckons he's great for them, who sit deep and counter attack, but suspects he might struggle in a side that wants to play with a high line. Likened him to Maguire at Hull / Leicester vs at United.

A mate of mine who supports Everton reckons he's great for them, who sit deep and counter attack, but suspects he might struggle in a side that wants to play with a high line. Likened him to Maguire at Hull / Leicester vs at United.
That’s my take too. He looks slow on the turn to me.

I have only seen him a few times and Everton play so little with the ball that its not easy to judge that part of his game.

I do think his data raises some concerns, not just his very low volume of passing (which is a lot to do with Everton's playstyle) but also the low pass completion and, even more so, being near the bottom of CBs in top five leagues (3rd percentile) in terms of progressive carries. If you're going to play possession based football, you need CBs that can pass the ball forward and, if that's the weakness in the defense's organization, can carry it forward, create new passing angles, and commit the defense.

Maybe he can actually do all these things very well and a good scouting analysis will show that. But its something I would be focused on figuring out as a potential buyer.

I'm getting Maguire vibes too.

I'd rather have Yoro and Anselmino who look like special talents. Brantwaithe doesn't give me those vibes.

That’s where being clever in the market world but is something we’ve not consistently done in a long time, there’s a lot of value out there right now.

Off the top of my head players who are either out of contract or only a year left on their contract are Yoro, Adarabiyio, Guido and Fofana then there’s players with release clauses like Gutierrez, Olise and Dovbyk and every one of those improves our squad.

Realistically it all comes down to whether we can move everyone we need too on this summer. We’ve moved Varane and Martial on already but then there’s Lindelof, Williams, Casemiro, Hannibal, Eriksen, VDB, Pellestri, Sancho and Greenwood all on too.

If reports are true then Ratcliffe wants to bring at least 5 players under the age of 25 in this summer although I think 7 is actually needed. I think we need two centre backs, a left back, two midfielders, a right sided attacker and a striker.

Agreed. I think 5 is the bare minimum, if it's 2 defenders (one of each foot), 2 deeper mids and a striker. That would give us:

-Hojlund + new #9
-Garnacho, Amad, Rashford, Antony
-Bruno, Mount
-Mainoo, McTominay
-DM1, DM2
-Shaw, LCB, Malacia
-Lisandro, LCB, Shaw, Maguire
-RCB, Maguire, Kambwalla, Evans
-Dalot, AWB
-Onana, Bayindir

and then you just pray 2 of the left-footed defenders stay healthy. Ideally we'd sell Antony, AWB and Mctominay and replace them with say Olise, a more possession inclined #8 rather than run Mainoo into the ground like Barca did with their young mids and a cheaper RB (to use the money elsewhere), but that feels like the bare minimum.

Rewatched some of his best moments, he goes to ground loads. Red flag right there.

Signing Branthwaite and Olise would be like signing Maguire & Wan Bissaka all over again. Stupid expensive mistakes that were too obvious & shouldn't have happened.

Big money for players who are big fishes in a small pond and don't have a business being in big clubs. Would they attract attention from other top clubs? No. Hope INEOS don't make the same mistake we did 5 years ago. We should steer clear.
Terrible shout

Rewatched some of his best moments, he goes to ground loads. Red flag right there.
On the very few times I’ve seen him, I’ve noticed that too. He commits very early and has been caught out

I'm not totally sold on his potential ability on the ball. If we sign Branthwaite I hope he proves me wrong. But personally I think for what Everton will want for him, it would be better for us to look elsewhere. I think the CB market is quite vast and I don't believe we should spend the money Everton will want for him.

And there it goes.

I'm getting Maguire vibes too.

The problem we have when it comes to recruitment is that we sign players who don't always share a similar to that of the style we use.

Branthwaite, through no fault of his own, plays in a low block for Everton, so we won't know what he's like pressing high up the pitch. Maybe he did this at PSV, but my big issue is that, he's not spectacular on the ball and he's left footed. He's not better than Martinez and I cannot see ten Hag putting him on the right. I just don't see the point.

The problem we have when it comes to recruitment is that we sign players who don't always share a similar to that of the style we use.

Branthwaite, through no fault of his own, plays in a low block for Everton, so we won't know what he's like pressing high up the pitch. Maybe he did this at PSV, but my big issue is that, he's not spectacular on the ball and he's left footed. He's not better than Martinez and I cannot see ten Hag putting him on the right. I just don't see the point.

Agree with all of this.

I have not seen anything from Branthwaite that makes me think this is a slam dunk transfer. If he was lightning quick I could be convinced. As recovery pace is something we lack in defence, which is kryptonite if we want to defend high. However, as you say, there's little to suggest Branthwaite can plug this gap. Honestly, I just don't get what our scouts see sometimes. Feels like another Mason Mount situation where an on paper good player is just acquired without it answering any needs we have.

It’s a lot to pay for a player who isn’t fantastic on the ball and also plays the same side as our current best CB, I wouldn’t mind competition / cover for Martinez but only after we’ve already secured a talented RCB.

I cannot see that happening, no matter how desperate the situation that Everton are in.
If United go in with a bid of £40m, someone else will go in with £50m etc....
It's not going to be a one horse race.
Exactly…. It will depend on how many clubs are in for him.

He was awful against us, awful against Chelsea and awful in many matches I have seen. Don’t know why he’s rated so highly. Goes to ground a lot, he isn't brilliant on the ball, neither he’s very quick to cover the ground if we want to play a high line.

Judging a player’s performance in that Everton team playing a low block under Dyche with minimum expectations and even less scrutiny is the same as judging Maguire playing a low block in that Leicester team with low expectations as a centre Back.

With the so called expertise of Ineos and Co. and we come up with this? I don’t like this transfer at all.