Jarrad Branthwaite

I guess he'll sign it, it'll bump his salary up to around 100k per week from 35k, and it'll extend to 2028 or 2029?

Hopefully not that steep instantly. Double his wage seems fair with performance indicators to perhaps take it up a bit further during the contract.

Hopefully not that steep instantly. Double his wage seems fair with performance indicators to perhaps take it up a bit further during the contract.

I think this was inevitable since he’d agreed terms with United but the club won’t accept.

Will keep him happy and prevent any issues.

70k would still have him only as the joint-8th highest earner in the squad, equal with Mason Holgate.

He's 22, and one of your best and most important players. By far your most valuable asset as well, whilst being Manchester United's top target for central defense.

I don't think there's any argument for offering him improved terms that's still under 100k per week.

If he has any sense he would ask for a release clause, I don’t think clubs will be paying £80m for defenders any more (and I should hope they don’t at least).

This is not to dig out Utd fans, because most fans of other clubs, would sadly act the same, but this was depressing to read from the athletic. Totally except there has been a back forth between the sets of fans leading up to this but.
I'm still a bit confused by the reaction to this. Everton seem to be acting like the takeover break down isn't a huge thing, and are happy to continue rejecting bids of over £50m and to increase Branthwaite's wages with a new deal. Hardly the actions of a club in crisis that need the support of the 'football family'.

So why were fans of a completely different team expected to react with horror and support for them, rather than be more interested in their own team?

United clearly want to sign him as they've made two concrete bids so far.

I don't see what Branthwaite gains long term from renewing with Everton. They'll only ask for even more money if he doesn't insert a release clause.

Genuine question - why doesn't Branthwaite hand in a transfer request to force the move through? He knows United definitely want him. Does handing in a transfer request stuff up their loyalty bonus or something?

money in means we can spend money. Makes total sense, bring in Simons to replace the faultering midfielder?
Fernandes isn't being sold though

And even if he was sold, to God knows who, for £100m then I doubt United would use 70+% of that signing Branthwaite. Fernandes is our only genuine World Class player at this moment in time.

Would be quite stupid if he signs a new contract without a release clause.

You can see why he’s unsettled, surely? £70k is grand if you have no other suitors, but here he’d get more than that as his entry level rate with obscene potential to earn more per on field displays.

Be surprised if he signs that, unless you insert a very friendly exit clause.

You can see why he’s unsettled, surely? £70k is grand if you have no other suitors, but here he’d get more than that as his entry level rate with obscene potential to earn more per on field displays.

Be surprised if he signs that, unless you insert a very friendly exit clause.

He isn't unsettled?

(Or at least there is no indication from the club or player that he is according to the good sources).

Didn't we offer 5x his current wage?
I'd take it if it didn't involve an extension. Its a laughable offer otherwise.

So Romano and Ornstein both briefed in the last few days from Everton's side that he won't be sold... UNLESS their valuation is met. Despite the latest briefings it feels like this one could still have legs, with Everton trying to counteract the news of the takeover collapse and improve their negotiation position by reiterating their valuation and threatening a to offer an new deal in a fairly non-committal timeframe of "this summer". Makes me wonder if Everton are under more pressure to sell now, but trying to pass that pressure on to United with these updates.

You sure? I think he’s had his head turned and is quiet for now because there’s still a chance he leaves.

Perhaps conjecture, but waters get very murky once the huge contract offers start getting placed in front of players.

Yup, all the good sources have indicated he's happy at Everton for now and concentrating on the upcoming season (including the player). I don't think it's a sensible move from club or player to put out those feelers if not. Everything I've seen from him thus far has been pretty level headed actually and he seems to be sensible in his approach to football and his development.

Who knows though, things can change but the stuff I've been posting here has been from the sources I've read and been engaged with thus far and they've all been true so far regarding this saga.
Didn't we offer 5x his current wage?
I'd take it if it didn't involve an extension. Its a laughable offer otherwise.
I don't think so. I think an offer in the 80-100k range is perfectly reasonable. He's on a reported 35-40k currently.

I mean he surely won’t sign that? He supposedly was going to be paid £150k at United (albeit I thought that was over the top). Why would he agree to accept £70k at Everton when they are saying he’s their most valuable player?

If his agent is any good then he should be given parity with Everton’s top earners (around £125k a week) and negotiate a reasonably sensible release clause - probably kicking in in 2026.

Yup, all the good sources have indicated he's happy at Everton for now and concentrating on the upcoming season (including the player). I don't think it's a sensible move from club or player to put out those feelers if not. Everything I've seen from him thus far has been pretty level headed actually and he seems to be sensible in his approach to football and his development.

I don't think so. I think an offer in the 80-100k range is perfectly reasonable. He's on a reported 35-40k currently.
And we offered him 165k so its over 4x the high end. Half that from a club who values me at nearly double the price United are willing to pay is laughable. Would that even put him level with the top earners?

I mean he surely won’t sign that? He supposedly was going to be paid £150k at United (albeit I thought that was over the top). Why would he agree to accept £70k at Everton when they are saying he’s their most valuable player?

If his agent is any good then he should be given parity with Everton’s top earners (around £125k a week) and negotiate a reasonably sensible release clause - probably kicking in in 2026.
And we offered him 165k so its over 4x the high end. Half that from a club who values me at nearly double the price United are willing to pay is laughable. Would that even put him level with the top earners?
80-100k would be just below the bracket of the top earners of key players in the Dyche era of Pickford/Tarks/Doucoure/DCL. I think that's fair. Perhaps it will be closer to the 100k mark but I think if he has another good sesason he'll be gone next summer anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a contract in a similar vein to Caicedo at Brighton. Gets a big wage jump and perhaps release clause or gentleman's agreement as to value in regards to selling.

Last edited:
80-100k would be just below the bracket of the top earners of key players in the Dyche era of Pickford/Tarks/Doucoure/DCL. I think that's fair. Perhaps it will be closer to the 100k mark but I think if he has another good sesason he'll be gone next summer anyway.
I'd take it if there were no strings attached, same contract length. But theres no way i'd consider it otherwise.
This is more like it

Yeah, I wouldn't get excited about this stuff. A new contract with increased terms and length will protect him in the event of a serious injury or something else. I'm sure his agent will do what agents do and push as far as he can, but if a move isn't on the cards it would make sense for him to take a payrise, even if it potentially hinders his longer term ability to make a move.

Let it go. This window we focus on Yoro and DeLigt. Next year we will go back in. He will be unsettled and hopefully he doesn't sign new contract. The fact is 70m is too high for him. Let's monitor one more year.

I'd take it if there were no strings attached, same contract length. But theres no way i'd consider it otherwise.

£100k
Extension to 2028
£50m release clause from 2026

I think that would be pretty reasonable to be honest.

Too generous. 2029. 70 / 80m release clause.
Branthwaite has the power: to keep him hsppy they have to either give him a new contract or sell him for less. No one is paying over 70 million.

Branthwaite has the power: to keep him hsppy they have to either give him a new contract or sell him for less. No one is paying over 70 million.
I think 100k is too low for that contract but its what i'd be looking for from an Everton pov. Otherwise i'd just double his wage and ask for nothing back - keeps him happy and i can renegotiate in a years time when money isn't as fecked and put a real offer on the table.
80k isn't enough to extend. If hes sits on his contract for 2 years and moves with the same wage offer on the table from us he makes his money back in the first year of his contract. If he waits another year he's a free agent and get a signing on fee that's worth multiples of the lost wages.

"We value you at £80 million, but we don't want to pay you the amounts that 80M players usually get"