Jarrad Branthwaite

Yes. Maybe they will be obstanant and refuse to sell at less than £70mil so we can go for de ligt instead.

Yeah could go either way but I think more likely outcome is they need to raise cash (so no longer need an impossible to turndown offer) and they'll come to the negotiation table with a more realistic valuation

Yeah could go either way but I think more likely outcome is they need to raise cash (so no longer need an impossible to turndown offer) and they'll come to the negotiation table with a more realistic valuation
Maybe it's me. I have seen Everton play on TV. I've watched @raaes analysis on his Pythagoras in Boots YouTube channel. I just do not see the hype around the lad. Other than he can play on left or right side as the CB. Which a trait of modern day football.

Yoro on the other hand, I can see abit of VVD and Ferdinand in him so I can see why people are excited.

Then again Branthwaite might go onto have a career like John Terry or Phil Jones (covering both bases there).

Who knows, there may be a few more sales that could surprise us where we can use the funds to reinvest the midfield and wings.

Hoping that happens, no doubt getting money for players (outside of Mason) is biggest challenge

Offer them £30 million and Maguire or
Lindelof take it or leave it. If no move on and go for another target. Still think we need another Centre back this window.

They did ask for Maguire's (money) so Maguire and 30m sounds fair

Maybe it's me. I have seen Everton play on TV. I've watched @raaes analysis on his Pythagoras in Boots YouTube channel. I just do not see the hype around the lad. Other than he can play on left or right side as the CB. Which a trait of modern day football.

Yoro on the other hand, I can see abit of VVD and Ferdinand in him so I can see why people are excited.

Then again Branthwaite might go onto have a career like John Terry or Phil Jones (covering both bases there).

Yeah I agree. I'm a bit meh about him and would rather have De Ligt but willing to give the new structure the benefit of the doubt. Could be their first error.

Branthwaite is most importantly a rare physical profile for me. Big, tall, strong, but still has very good pace and mobility. I think just this rare combination, similar to Hojlund, makes him a very good prospect for the future, but he's also someone who's already good enough to massively contribute from day 1.

His box defending also improved a lot last season at Everton IMO, as defending deep for large portions of every game was a big change up from what he was used to, in a more dominant team at PSV in the Eredivisie. Box defending was one of Varane's biggest strengths when he played for United, but in my opinion he was not good enough to play in a high line. With Branthwaite, he's perfectly suited for that whilst also being on the course to becoming an excellent box defender. He would be a long-term project, just like Yoro, but the Englishman is a further ahead in his development and in my opinion he's ready to play most of a whole campaign at Manchester United at 22, unlike Leny, who will need to be slowly phased in for the first 1-2 seasons, due to having much less experience (50+ Ligue games at 18 is still very impressive, mind you) and being 3 years younger.

Potential wise sure, currently its not the case. Also Jarrad is LCB while Yoro is RCB. Jarrad is the typical EPL CB but with pace. He's got a 6ft5 frame and he's excellent in air. Yoro is a far better passer but he's not as imposing in air.

I'm not sure you understood my post. I'm agreeing that Jarrad is an excellent prospect, just a level below (as a prospect) compared to Yoro. Still very good. Hence why I'd happily have him as well.

Branthwaite is most importantly a rare physical profile for me. Big, tall, strong, but still has very good pace and mobility. I think just this rare combination, similar to Hojlund, makes him a very good prospect for the future, but he's also someone who's already good enough to massively contribute from day 1.

His box defending also improved a lot last season at Everton IMO, as defending deep for large portions of every game was a big change up from what he was used to, in a more dominant team at PSV in the Eredivisie. Box defending was one of Varane's biggest strengths when he played for United, but in my opinion he was not good enough to play in a high line. With Branthwaite, he's perfectly suited for that whilst also being on the course to becoming an excellent box defender. He would be a long-term project, just like Yoro, but the Englishman is a further ahead in his development and in my opinion he's ready to play most of a whole campaign at Manchester United at 22, unlike Leny, who will need to be slowly phased in for the first 1-2 seasons.

Not sureif "not good enough" is how I'd describe Varane in a high line, he just wasn't physically able to as well as he could. Was less about skill and more about his body.

Not sureif "not good enough" is how I'd describe Varane in a high line, he just wasn't physically able to as well as he could. Was less about skill and more about his body.

Out of all our defender pairings in the last 3 years, I'm pretty sure when Varane was one of the two centre halves, we always played a very low defensive line, one of the lowest in the league. I also think he wasn't good enough on the ball and in the build-up. Our right hand side suffered a lot when Varane played RCB with AWB next to him at right-back. The physical qualities used to be there for Varane, but he also wasn't 25 anymore. Having Dalot and potentially Yoro and Branthwaite there instead will be night and day compared to Varane + AWB.

Well shit that sucks!

Everton's misfortune is our misfortune, getting Branflake over De Ligt is not great at all.

Also, I might be the only one but I kind of like Everton.
Yeah, proper club. Shame what's happening to them over there. Hopefully they can somehow sort it out and stay in the top flight.

Also, I'm not sure if we'd be after Branthwaite anyway. I'm thinking maybe INEOS wanted a young potential CB and a more senior experienced one in De Ligt. let's see though.

He's a level below Yoro but still an excellent prospect. Athleticism, comfortable playing either side, good base level technicality, top tier duel winner. I promise Everton fans aren't just lying to you about his quality. People need to get over themselves.
I don't see big prospect there. Average defender without bigger flaws but also without being great in anything.
But, i do have a faith in our new football setup so if they think he is good enough then fine. I just don't see it myself.

Yeah, proper club. Shame what's happening to them over there. Hopefully they can somehow sort it out and stay in the top flight.

Also, I'm not sure if we'd be after Branthwaite anyway. I'm thinking maybe INEOS wanted a young potential CB and a more senior experienced one in De Ligt. let's see though.

I would agree with that last paragraph if he didn't offer us more balance by being able to play LCB

I'm not sure you understood my post. I'm agreeing that Jarrad is an excellent prospect, just a level below (as a prospect) compared to Yoro. Still very good. Hence why I'd happily have him as well.

Fair enough. However I believe that there is more to it then just potential. Jarrad complement yoro. Jarrad is the Vidic while yoro is the Rio. That's why, if the price is right, I think we would go for jarrad rather then de ligt

His box defending also improved a lot last season at Everton IMO, as defending deep for large portions of every game was a big change up from what he was used to, in a more dominant team at PSV in the Eredivisie. Box defending was one of Varane's biggest strengths when he played for United, but in my opinion he was not good enough to play in a high line. With Branthwaite, he's perfectly suited for that whilst also being on the course to becoming an excellent box defender. He would be a long-term project, just like Yoro, but the Englishman is a further ahead in his development and in my opinion he's ready to play most of a whole campaign at Manchester United at 22, unlike Leny, who will need to be slowly phased in for the first 1-2 seasons, due to having much less experience (50+ Ligue games at 18 is still very impressive, mind you) and being 3 years younger.
Interesting post. If we don't get Branthwaite this summer, I probably do need to watch him more closely in any games of his I do catch.

Agree with you about Yoro, which I think many have missed. His game time will need to be managed. So we do some else alongside Martinez ala De ligt or Branthwaite.

Probably for a different thread, but the amount of game time young players are getting now has exploded and we don't know what the repercussions are for their long term career. Bellingham has played triple the amount of minutes that Beckham and Lampard did at the same age. Yamal is getting alot of game time at 16/17. We have a 14 year old in MLS.

It used to be players peaked around 27/28 years old, though their first team debut came around 20/21/22.

Now with them starting so young you wonder if their peak years will be earlier ie. 24/25 and whether their bodies will be able to keep them playing into their mid 30s.

Interesting post. If we don't get Branthwaite this summer, I probably do need to watch him more closely in any games of his I do catch.

Agree with you about Yoro, which I think many have missed. His game time will need to be managed. So we do some else alongside Martinez ala De ligt or Branthwaite.

Probably for a different thread, but the amount of game time young players are getting now has exploded and we don't know what the repercussions are for their long term career. Bellingham has played triple the amount of minutes that Beckham and Lampard did at the same age. Yamal is getting alot of game time at 16/17. We have a 14 year old in MLS.

It used to be players peaked around 27/28 years old, though their first team debut came around 20/21/22.

Now with them starting so young you wonder if their peak years will be earlier ie. 24/25 and whether their bodies will be able to keep them playing into their mid 30s.

I think Yoro's decision not to wait around for Madrid was probably heavily influenced, amongst other things, by the amount of minutes he would get at United, opposed to Madrid. I hope this doesn't mean that he will be playing 3500-4000 minutes or more starting from his first season. I think that's probably what the player prefers, but it would be a risky decision regarding potential long-term effects.

I think him being 3rd/4th choice, but still with sufficient overall playing minutes for the next two seasons behind Martínez and Branthwaite, and even potentially Maguire is the optimal thing to do. If we get de Ligt instead, though, I'd be in favor of letting Maguire go, as they are very similar type of defenders. No use having two of them in the same squad and they would probably not make a good pairing either. It's also one of the reason I'd prefer Branthwaite to de Ligt personally.

Maybe related to this

Offer them 35+5.

Take it or leave it.

Or we'll just take him for less next summer when they are getting relegated through points deductions and what not. That's assuming their entire club doesn't get folded and fire sale.

Personally, I would prefer if we signed Branthwaite rather than De Ligt. While De Ligt brings significant experience, Branthwaite offers versatility, as he can cover both left center-back and left-back positions, which better address our current needs. I have no confidence on Martinez and Shaw maintaining fitness throughout the entire season.

Some incredibly silly opinions in here right now.

They are desperate for 600m in the long term. Not 30m in the short term.

The news today changes nothing and may very well see them guard their assets more carefully.

From what I've been hearing from the reporters and other channels we are business as usual and the news doesn't change anything as we were always operating on our own basis without thinking about possible Friedkin ownership so I imagine if you bid that then it will be rejected again. They could be wrong though of course.

From what I've been hearing from the reporters and other channels we are business as usual and the news doesn't change anything as we were always operating on our own basis without thinking about possible Friedkin ownership so I imagine if you bid that then it will be rejected again. They could be wrong though of course.
Makes sense. Anyone else on the horizon for ownership?

I suppose from a business perspective, you're a less attractive prospect to a potential new owner if you've just flogged one of your biggest playing assets, even if it was at market value.

£50 million towards whatever debts you've got doesn't really matter if you've just lost one of your key players and face the prospect of a relegation battle. It could literally be the difference between the new owners buying a Premier League club or one about to drop into the Championship.

Does "business as usual" mean getting docked points every year?

I say this as a united fan who doesn't have a lot of trust in owners over the last 10 years

Does "business as usual" mean getting docked points every year?

I say this as a united fan who doesn't have a lot of trust in owners over the last 10 years
I wouldn't imagine so as according to the reports we passed PSR. Not sure how this impacts that though.

That's all well and fine, let's move ahead and close the gap with De Ligt then.

We already signed a young CB prospect, we need an experienced one now. Should cost quite a bit less than 70m too...

I am actually okay with missing out on him. Everton value him way higher than what we should pay for him. De Ligt is better option considering we need to invest in midfield as well

Go back in for him next summer if the funds are there and go get De Ligt this summer. Another year at Everton won't hurt his development and maybe they'll finally get relegated.

Let Everton keep him. We will have Shaw to rotate with Martinez and buy a new LB.

Fair enough really.

He makes a lot of sense as a long-term target, but the reality seems to be he's currently worth substantially more to Everton than he is to us.